OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLB, NHL, and NBA each have 30 teams. NFL has 32. Hard to see how you can sustain more teams without making 2 tiers.

We barely have a dozen competent quarterbacks. Same limitations apply for other skill positions. Parity would quickly disappear if more teams were added and a de facto 2-tier system would result.

It's not about getting more talent in the league. It's the power law (statistical power law). Whoever is best, there will be a handful of people almost as good (same goes for 100-m sprinters, etc.). NFL being a team sport helps reduce this effect a little.

All that is to say that the NFL could maybe add one or two teams but, beyond that, a significant expansion would just undermine the product. Given how expensive it is to sustain a team, you need both a strong local market but also some national support. For mediocre teams, they at least get collective money and extra viewers when they play a good or big-market team. But, if you add too many teams, the proportion of those games will be reduced, and mediocre small-market teams will quickly become college-level broke teams.

edit: people's reaction to my post:

a1f45abdefafc0f03de157ee80b67454.jpg

Last edited:
I kinda wish there was something to topple the NFL. Outside of my team and the 5, 6 actual good teams there are it is a chore to watch a game. 

winning in today's NFL is just outlasting attrition and the inevitable terrible call from the refs. And I think this may be partly romanticizing football as a kid but I feel like teams played differently. 

There were teams that lit up the scoreboard. Vikings, Rams,  Eagles, Chiefs (with no receivers), Bengals

Teams that had that defenses that lit up the scoreboard: Ravens, Bucs, Bears. 

The Panthers front four and the insane pressure they put on and blocking field goals every game. 

How every team in the NFC North had great special teams. Azumah then Vasher then Hester, Eddie Drummond,  Packer and Vikings always returning kicks. 

Now it seems like every team runs the same stuff. 

Edit: Not every team, but majority

Last edited:
When do you guys see the NFL adding more teams?
You don't see them just relocating?
Never... why would the owners want another team when it means extra money out of their pockets.  Instead of splitting 8 billion (or however much revenue it is these days) by 32 teams, they would split it 32+ ways.  it might not sound like much, but if they add one more team, they wont get an extra 10 million in revenues... not to mention, they are slightly less exclusive then before.  

I was wondering why my reps dropped. I just read everything.

Between this NFL beef and the MF Brown thread.....goodness. So much card pulling 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

embarassed.gif

mean.gif

can't believe all that happened over $15, we'll I can but man :smh: :lol:

you know you messing with a street cat when he ask to bet you 15 dollars. :lol:

Last edited:
I kinda wish there was something to topple the NFL. Outside of my team and the 5, 6 actual good teams there are it is a chore to watch a game. 
winning in today's NFL is just outlasting attrition and the inevitable terrible call from the refs. And I think this may be partly romanticizing football as a kid but I feel like teams played differently. 

(Slow clap)

I go back and forth if it was better or I just remember it better. Even when j watch older games, I get that 'kid' feeling back so even while watching today I still romanticize it. But man I just feel like the game was better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom