OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

What reasons do you think those are?
NFL product isn't the best, but NBA is terrible, and I'm a fan. Garbage refs, poor shooting, super long season. NFL is 17 weeks and football Sunday is damn near a holiday for some, same with MNF, and Superbowl.
I can understand these reasons. Im a fan of basketball as well although this season i've only really kept up with the Hawks and have not watched other teams play this season but yes the refs are bad. I have for years thought the season should start on christmas day and the playoff system should leave eastern and western conference seeding behind (I also think the same about the NFL's playoff seeding should leave conferences and divisions behind as well)

Last edited:
"OK Billy, let's take the pads off and focus on soccer... there's much less risk in the long term."

*Von Miller signs record contract -- 70 million guaranteed!*

"Maybe football isn't so bad."
I mean, he would make more if he were a top soccer player.

NBA is wonderfully ran compared to the NFL.  Yes the refs and the season length are in issue, but it's fantastic outside of that.  League is full of marketable role-model types right now too.

Last edited:

"OK Billy, let's take the pads off and focus on soccer... there's much less risk in the long term."

*Von Miller signs record contract -- 70 million guaranteed!*

"Maybe football isn't so bad."
I mean, he would make more if he were a top soccer player.
Exactly And every NFL player isn't making that kind of money. Although on the other hand that can be said about every sport.

Exactly And every NFL player isn't making that kind of money. Although on the other hand that can be said about every sport.
No sport has contracts non-guaranteed like the NFL though, or such short careers or high injury risk.  Pretty much the worst major sport to be good at from a money perspective.

Last edited:
Nah I dont see the NBA replacing the NFL for a variety of reasons.

1. Too many games to follow.
2. Lack of parity relative to the NFL. If your team doesnt have Lebron, Duncan,Shaq or some combination of some superstars you arent going to win the championship because in 7 games series, the best team wins.
3. Betting on the NFL
4. Fantasy Football
5.Its harder to aspire to play in the NBA than the NFL for youth.
6.Too Black for Middle America.
7. Its doesn't excite communities like HS Football games do. One game a week. Cheerleaders and band..

Originally Posted by Silverbackhoney  
For those who say the NFL will become a niche Sport, what Sport do you think can replace it?
If anything NBA would replace it. Far more marketable stars, better owners and commissioners, more popular amongst youth.
NBA won't be top dog just for the simple fact there's a segment of our population that doesn't get down with the league and its players whatsoever. They'll never conform to it.

Everyone knows the NFL is tone deaf, but they really can't use the excuse of being at the mountain's peak to justify their refusal and ignorance of real issues in their sport. 

We're still in the infant stages of awareness regarding CTE and long-term affect of concussions. What happens when it gets politicized? Or maybe one day the NFL has their version of a Benoit incident (imagine on a larger scale)?

Once the ball starts rolling downhill, it's not gonna stop for your arrogance and hubris. If you want your sport to survive as king for decades, the wise thing to do is to get out in front now and make a serious commitment to change. Open up all possibilities, explore all avenues. Until then, NFL gonna NFL.

"Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." He ain't ever lied.

Last edited:
NFL is king of the hill no doubt but as the saying goes, 'all good things must come to and end.' by no means are they on thin ice yet but they're going to have a breaking point. It'll be hard for the general public to keep turning the other cheek as news and studies are done on the topics the league wants no one to talk about.

The NBA? [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji] that's a good one

Yep guaranteed money goes a long way in peoples decisions and thats another thing I think could affect the long term sustainability of the sports same level of popularity. That why its such a big negotiating point for contracts now a days, people realizing when it comes to football they have to get it while they can in this sport cause it can and is in most cases very short lived.

Nah I dont see the NBA replacing the NFL for a variety of reasons.
1. Too many games to follow.
2. Lack of parity relative to the NFL. If your team doesnt have Lebron, Duncan,Shaq or some combination of some superstars you arent going to win the championship because in 7 games series, the best team wins.
3. Betting on the NFL
4. Fantasy Football
7. Its doesn't excite communities like HS Football games do. One game a week. Cheerleaders and band..
And yeah these are all valid reasons I can understand.

Everybody knows only a handful teams have a chance win an NBA title, playoffs are irrelevant until the conference finals

You'll never see an 8 seed win an NBA title and only one ever made it

Only a handful of NBA teams are relevant in the NBA. And by handful I mean GS, spurs and cleveland.

And I really hate the tanking aspect of the NBA

Last edited:
College football is another animal fueling it. I don't see it going anywhere.

Golden state is must see TV, regardless who you root for IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody knows only a handful teams have a chance win an NBA title, playoffs are irrelevant until the conference finals

You'll never see an 8 seed win an NBA title and only one ever made it

Tbh,I feel like if parity was really that important to people then the NHL would be a lot more popular :lol:

Last edited:
baseball got next
smokin.gif
indifferent.gif
roll.gif

Baseball will never be as popular as it was in the 20s. They'll be lucky to still be top 3 come 2025

[quote name="An Armada"][QUOTE name="Mister Friendly"][QUOTE name="An Armada"][QUOTE name="Mister Friendly"]
Nah I dont see the NBA replacing the NFL for a variety of reasons.[/QUOTE]What reasons do you think those are?[/QUOTE]1. Too many games to follow.
3. Betting on the NFL
4. Fantasy Football
7. Its doesn't excite communities like HS Football games do. One game a week. Cheerleaders and band..[/QUOTE]And yeah these are all valid reasons I can understand.[/quote]Yeah, that's an impressively accurate list. Spot on.

I just don't think people get the NHL plus it's expensive to play so it limits who can play as youths
I struggle to find NHL games to watch despite it being my favorite sport because of where I live.

I also did not get to play hockey as a youth because Virginia.

My 10 year old cousin gets free trips to Sweden and Canada to get hockey lessons
indifferent.gif
that could have been me

It's really crazy how in our lifetime (and what only felt like a matter of 10-15 years), baseball went from being recognized as America's past time to football coming through to crush the buildings. Football has such a grip on the #1 spot that you would think it's been that way for a LOT longer than it's actually been. It's basically become a small fabric of American culture. 
eek.gif
 That's wild.

Yeah, having NCAA football as your developmental system is a huge plus. Ask the South how they feel about that.

@Mister Friendly  excellent list of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom