OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The league has no incentive to make change so I don't think change will start with them. When change happens it'll start with parenting and people not letting their kids play the game. Also eventually people will not be able to deny the scientific evidence at some point I hope
I just dont think alot of people care that deep about the scientific evidence, it's already there. 

When AB got hit by Burfict how many were people concerned about his well being long term and how many people were concerned if he was available to play next week against Denver?

To your point about youth and parents, with Pop Warner and High School participation numbers dropping we'll have to wait and see if the trend continues but for now you still got some of the best athletes in this country following the pipeline to the NFL and ready to take a Jon Beason's spot, The Calvin's and Borland's of the football world 

Last edited:
I think the trend continues. Exceptions will always occur, sport won't disappear but long term outlook is not as bright as some other sports IMO

The league has no incentive to make change so I don't think change will start with them. When change happens it'll start with parenting and people not letting their kids play the game. Also eventually people will not be able to deny the scientific evidence at some point I hope
I just dont think alot of people care that deep about the scientific evidence, it's already there. 

When AB got hit by Burfict how many were people concerned about his well being long term and how many people were concerned if he was available to play next week against Denver?

To your point about youth and parents, with Pop Warner and High School participation numbers dropping we'll have to wait and see if the trend continues but for now you still got some of the best athletes in this country following the pipeline to the NFL and ready to take a Jon Beason's spot, The Calvin's and Borland's of the football world 

Yes unfortunately most individuals don't really seem to care or be bothered once it concerns their favorite teams ability to win like you said about how some people reacted to the AB hit.

And yes it's definitely not gonna be a quick fix it all depends on if the trends at the youth level and parents reactions to the findings continue the same way we think they could go. I know for me I wouldn't let my kids play the sport if I have some one day and eventually more parents could start to feel the same.

Last edited:
agree with Pabs

for every NFL player that retires early there's a line of guys that would kill for his spot

They would kill for his spot right now yes but potentially it might not stay that way. I'm more talking about what the trends at the youth level and how parents reactions could impact the future of the sport.

Last edited:
Thinking the NFL will disappear is foolish to me

The quality of the product might change but it'll still be as big as big gets

It most likely won't disappear but it'll probably be quite a bit different from the way it is right now at its peak. I can't see it getting much bigger than it already is.

Last edited:
I'm just not convinced it can sustain the size of the sport with more and more coming out.

Will it disappear of course not but I do think it could go the same way of boxing. Boxing is popular and its still a sport people love but it's nowhere near what it used to be in terms of popularity. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility the same thing could happen to the NFL at some point in the future.

Last edited:
For those who say the NFL will become a niche Sport, what Sport do you think can replace it?

In the short run I would say basketball because in this country its closest in terms of popularity right now but in the long run IMO I can see soccer getting right up there in popularity and become a "top sport" in the states

Last edited:

They Game is as big as it ever has. Media from all over the world. They had to build 2 mini press boxes in corner enzones to hold everyone.

Money trumps injuries.

As long as the NFL is making money, it ain't going nowhere.

And the NFL is making ALOOTTTAAAA money right now.

And I think everyone is on the same page when it comes to how popular the sport is right now and how much money its making right now but that is just right now. Things could very well change in the long run.

I think you will start to see a trend of players playing much shorter careers, except quarterbacks and kickers... I think you'll see a lot 5-7 year careers with players saving their money and getting out...

I also believe you'll see less high level athletes choosing to play football... I can see baseball and basketball gaining a decent chunk players moving to the sports...

What reasons do you think those are?

NFL product isn't the best, but NBA is terrible, and I'm a fan. Garbage refs, poor shooting, super long season. NFL is 17 weeks and football Sunday is damn near a holiday for some, same with MNF, and Superbowl.

"OK Billy, let's take the pads off and focus on soccer... there's much less risk in the long term."

*Von Miller signs record contract -- 70 million guaranteed!*

"Maybe football isn't so bad."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom