OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
no TE currently in the league or in college could potentially be better than Gronk

Reed is definitely a great TE though. he could put up some serious numbers if he ever plays all 16 games

Reed has the potential to be a top 5 TE in the league.....he will never be Gronk level though

I can see Reed being like Antonio Gates doe if everything pans out....well actually not really, but something close :lol:

Last edited:
Reed if he can ever stay healthy has a better shot of being Aaron Hernandez..

Comparing anyone to gronk is asking for failure

Over these past few weeks I can't help but wonder how Gates would be remembered differently if his early years and prime were tailored to the specifications of having the GOAT QB and a HOF coach.

Last edited:
Gronk is a man child.. at the combine he came in over 6'6, 258 lbs and ran a 4.6 forty..

Only guy I can think of that had the size of gronk that was used as a pass catcher was Kyle Brady

Dealing with a whole different beast when trying to make comparisons

Over these past few weeks I can't help but wonder how Gates would be remembered differently if his early years and prime were tailored to the specifications of having the GOAT QB and a HOF coach.
Can't lie…I've thought of that too. Gotta keep an open mind. The East Coast bias has hurt Gates in these discussions as well.

I will say though the main thing that separates Gronk from a lot of these other TE's is not only can he block, but he's exceptional at it. As in, he actually enjoys doing it and (when fully healthy) is damn near just as good at pass/run blocking as he is at receiving. 

Belichick has always been very selective regarding compliments he hands out to his own players. He recently said that Gronkowski is up there with Mark Bavaro from the late 80's Giants when it comes to blocking TE's that he's coached.

I tried explaining this to CP when he originally said Jimmy was the best TE, but his stubborn ol' *** wasn't having it. 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

Last edited:

This is a better comp and I definitely thought their games were similar when Reed was at UF. They tried to have Trey Burton in that same role.

Having watched Reed all year he definitely isn't a very good blocker, but I'd say he's easily one of the biggest receiving threats/hardest TE to cover. If not for injuries and Kirk missing some wide open throws he easily could have 15 TD right now with 2 games left.

I still am not sure why/how he gets open and is so hard to cover though, he isn't crazy fast and isn't that big for a TE but he's open damn near every play. I've always felt like Jason Witten emitted some pheromone that made whoever was covering him run slower, Reed seems to have that same effect :lol:

Last edited:
Witten is as good a blocker and there is at the position...

Only the second TE ever with over 1000 catches.

Top ten all time in catches regardless of position..

Gotta be going u the hall right??

-------
Tony G >>>

-------
Tony G >>>

Love how he plays, I'd be ok with it. At this point is only a handful in there though, that will change in the years to come

-------
Tony G >>>

Absolutely. Safety net too for the revolving door of Dallas QBs.

View media item 1840190

Last edited:

-------
Tony G >>>

Without question a HOF. It still boggles my mind how after all these years he still gets open. I mean WIDE OPEN. He's not the athlete some of these others are but just a smart, tuff, sure handed football player. Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom