OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Jets can manage to beat NE on Sunday, Week 17 verse Buffalo is gonna be must see t.v.

Last edited:
@RobDemovsky: Packers WR Ty Montgomery scheduled for ankle surgery next week, per his agent. Details here: es.pn/1ZnCydV

What a strange season.

but he's had players score on him and have had some solid games. Albeit, they weren't 100+ yards, multiple touchdown games, but he's had guys score on him or go on to have substantive games.

When was this?

"He has allowed 37 completions on 76 targets for 329 yards and one touchdown. Norman's 43.1 passer rating against is the best in the league."

I said Norman is overrated because he's seen to be some "shutdown" corner, but he's had players score on him and have had some solid games. Albeit, they weren't 100+ yards, multiple touchdown games, but he's had guys score on him or go on to have substantive games. He's surrounded by a stellar defense and an offense that can control the ball and clock almost at will.

Guys like Tyrann Matthieu, Chris Harris Jr, and Darby are doing more for their teams and IMO more versatile in their position.
Yes, he does have help from the front 7. But he's been an excellent shutdown CB playing different coverages. You went too far with the "wildly overrated" label.

He didn't have a good game this past Sunday, but let's not be a prisoner of the moment. You would've had a better argument if you mentioned Carolina not facing a murderer's row of QB's.

I don't know what you've seen, but on passes where he's been targeted, he's only allowed 2 TD's all season. Two.
Per @PFF, @J_No24 has shadowed only the following receivers on the majority of their routes: Nuk, VJax, TY Hilton, Dez, Julio, and OBJ.
Those receivers combined to catch just 14 of 34 targets for 139 yards and a touchdown, while yielding one interception to @J_No24. 
More...
@J_No24 has allowed just two touchdowns this season. He has intercepted four passes, two of which he ran back for touchdowns. 
@J_No24 has been targeted 84 times in coverage, only 42 for catches. That 50% completion percentage ranks 6th-best among corners. 
Opponent passers, when targeting @J_No24 in coverage, have a QB Rating of 49.6, which ranks best in the league among corners. 
More?
On average, @J_No24 is allowing just 25.5 yards per game and he has not allowed more than 49 yards to his coverage in any game this season. 
@J_No24 ranks first among all corners in yards allowed per target, second in yards allowed per snap, and fourth in total yards allowed. 
"Wildly overrated".

Yesterday I defend Zestham, today it's Norman. 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

The Carolina defense has 4-5 guys who will make the Pro Bowl on its defense. I would use a better indicator of success like All-Pros or whatever, but that's more difficult to project since there are so few.

AFC playoff QBs, potentially: Alex Smith, AJ McCarron, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler... and Tom Brady :lol:

These playoffs could end in epic fashion: A second-round matchup in the NFC between Hawks/Panthers -> Winner, in all likelihood, is headed for the Super Bowl.

So - IMO - we will get either:

Patriots and Seahawks Part II

Or

Patriots - who were 18-0 heading into the Super Bowl seven years ago before losing - against the Panthers, who could very well be 18-0 heading into a SB against the Patriots.

Last edited:
I think Ron Rivera will be COY again. Cam and the Carolina defense gets a lot of the attention, but Riverboat Ron has been a great coach and leader for the last 3 years.

If he doesn't win it, then I would be happy with Andy Reid winning it. When Charles went out, I never expected them to win 8 straight games, potentially 10. That is awesome.

The Carolina defense has 4-5 guys who will make the Pro Bowl on its defense. I would use a better indicator of success like All-Pros or whatever, but that's more difficult to project since there are so few.

AFC playoff QBs, potentially: Alex Smith, AJ McCarron, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler... and Tom Brady
laugh.gif

These playoffs could end in epic fashion: A second-round matchup in the NFC between Hawks/Panthers -> Winner, in all likelihood, is headed for the Super Bowl.

So - IMO - we will get either:

Patriots and Seahawks Part II

Or

Patriots - who were 18-0 heading into the Super Bowl seven years ago before losing - against the Panthers, who could very well be 18-0 heading into a SB against the Patriots.
I can see the Chiefs making the Super Bowl. Specially if they lock up the west and get at least one home game.

You can believe and buy into this particular stat but please don't have this feeling on a blanket basis :lol:
:lol:
I'm just saying that Norman is a great CB, he isn't overrated
He held ODB to under 100 yds, pretty good.

I'm also sure you would like to have him in your team's secondary

Norman has done a damn good job ... BUT ... his stats dont take into account of how many times their front has pressured a qb to also possibly make a poor throw. Not saying thats why his stats are good but the opposing O-Line and QB play does also have a factor in it.

So Eli could have targeted Norman 20 times while throwing on the run or shortly before getting lit up and ODB only caught 1 ... the stats would read 1/20 for 5 yards and the best talks start.

I said Norman is overrated because he's seen to be some "shutdown" corner, but he's had players score on him and have had some solid games. Albeit, they weren't 100+ yards, multiple touchdown games, but he's had guys score on him or go on to have substantive games. He's surrounded by a stellar defense and an offense that can control the ball and clock almost at will.

Guys like Tyrann Matthieu, Chris Harris Jr, and Darby are doing more for their teams and IMO more versatile in their position.

Dog he has locked up everybody he's played this year. ODB had the best game of anybody vs him this year. And that was 6 for 76....

Norman has done a damn good job ... BUT ... his stats dont take into account of how many times their front has pressured a qb to also possibly make a poor throw. Not saying thats why his stats are good but the opposing O-Line and QB play does also have a factor in it.

So Eli could have targeted Norman 20 times while throwing on the run or shortly before getting lit up and ODB only caught 1 ... the stats would read 1/20 for 5 yards and the best talks start.

PFF's rankings take almost all of that into account. It gets to a point where people just don't want to give credit to a player who is starting to become a household name. It happens every time. And you can literally say that about 99% of coverage CB's in the league. Is what Harris/Talib are being devalued because the front 7 is elite at rushing the QB?

Last edited:

Is what Harris/Talib are doing devalued because the front 7 is elite at rushing the QB?

Exactly almost all great cover corners have a really good or solid front 7.

@KelliBartik: No bat in ATL. Rivera says he's ending it bc he doesn't want to hear any more about it. "It's the No Fun League for a reason." #dropsmic

Never the best way to handle things - 'And that's the end of my thoughts on it!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom