OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

Originally Posted by NYK orange and blue

Renovations for Garden May Include All-Stars
By HOWARD BECK

Published: July 24, 2008

The Knicks have not had an All-Star player since 2001, but they could welcome two dozen of them to New York in four years for the N.B.A. All-Star Game.

[h4]With a $500 million renovation planned for Madison Square Garden, the Knicks are preparing an application to host the All-Star Game at the earliest possible date. The renovated Garden is scheduled to be ready for basketball by the 2011-12 season.[/h4]

Garden executives have already made an unofficial pitch to N.B.A. Commissioner David Stern, who has embraced the prospect.

"I would say it's a very live possibility," Stern said Wednesday in a telephone interview.

The Garden has to file an application, and there will be competition from other N.B.A. cities, notably Orlando, Fla., which is building a new arena. But New York is likely to emerge as the favorite, given the Garden's history, the lure of Manhattan and Stern's enthusiasm for its bid.

Garden officials announced in early April that they intended to overhaul the arena's interior while preserving the outer shell. Changes will include a new, sunlit entryway off Seventh Avenue, the addition of luxury suites closer to the floor, wider public concourses and better sight lines throughout the arena.

Hank Ratner, the Garden's vice chairman, presented the renovation plans to Stern and the deputy commissioner Adam Silver about two months ago. Stern said the renovated Garden would essentially be a modern, state-of-the-art arena, albeit one housed within the old building. The current Garden opened in 1968.

"I can't speak as an architect or reviewer," Stern said, but the new Garden will be "quite extraordinary, quite commodious, and it's going to be quite a treat for the fans of New York."

The Garden has hosted the N.B.A.'s All-Star weekend once, in 1998, when the game turned into a memorable duel between Michael Jordan, who was in his last season with the Chicago Bulls, and Kobe Bryant, who was then a 19-year-old rising star with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The previous Garden, at 49th Street and Eighth Avenue, played host to the All-Star Game in 1954, 1955 and 1968.

The league has a history of awarding the All-Star Game to new arenas, as it did in 2002 (Staples Center in Los Angeles), 2005 (Pepsi Center in Denver) and 2006 (Toyota Center in Houston). League owners have lately shown a preference for warm-weather cities, placing the game in Houston, Las Vegas and New Orleans over the last three years. The 2009 game will be in Phoenix at the US Airways Center. Dallas is considered a favorite for the 2010 game.

Stern acknowledged that cities with warm climates and large convention centers have a distinct advantage in the bidding process.

"Without sounding too provincial, New York City has its own advantages," he said. "The 1998 All-Star Game here was a great success."

The N.B.A. offices are in Manhattan. Stern was born in New York and grew up in Teaneck, N.J.

Garden officials are looking at a number of major events, including an N.C.A.A. basketball regional, as they proceed with the renovations. The Garden has not hosted an N.C.A.A. tournament game since 1961. Award shows and presidential conventions are also possibilities. The construction will take place over the next three summers, during the N.B.A. and N.H.L. off-seasons.

"Madison Square Garden is really the family room for all of New York," Ratner said in a separate interview. "To attract the greatest events in the world, the world's most famous arena really needs to be the world's most state-of-the-art arena. That's what we're going to do."

More Articles in Sports »

Need to know more? 50% off home delivery of The Times.
Thank God!!! I used to travel to NY on business trips and went to couple of Knicks game while I was there. The lighting in MSG seemed like thelight-bulbs have not been changed since the last time they won a title .. and parts of MSG reaked worse than the NY subways.

Originally Posted by MeloVP

but still, the fact that these dudes still have jobs shows that dolan was photographed doin some real wild %%!#.

the whole game is rigged man. rigged.

tired.gif

on another, more serious note, what do yall think of this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/featur...~1711~1981~356&teams=4~4~4~18~18~18&te=&cash=
That trade is horrible.... Why would you replace Hinrich with jamal? Jamal is a pure scorer.. Drew Gooden cant fill up the box like Zbo. And larryhughes is a bum 3 out of every 4 games... NO..

2lkyzw8.jpg

i like this deal, we get a great defender in Larry Hughes, and we get a back-up point guard. We also get rid of Crawford, and Zbo

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Defensively, we'd be better instantly. Gooden at least isn't a black hole on offense, either.

With Hughes...his health is the big concern...but he plays his best in an up tempo system....Cleveland was the worst possible fit for him. Have him get out andrun, shoot the 3, handle on the break, fill the wings...and play the passing lanes on D...and he's solid.

I doubt we can pull off a deal like that though. Im sure we would have to add Lee into the mix. I wouldn't mind though.

Not that I think this is a realistic deal (Bulls wouldn't bite)....But you think its a good idea to tie yourself into a 10 mil per year "back-up"pg as you labeled Hinrich? He would be the starting pg if he came to NY anyway, but tying yourself into 4 years at 10 mil for a 2nd tier pg isn't a goodlook.

Only thing I like about the trade is it gives us one less year of a big contract, since Hughes has 2 yrs left, and Z-Bo has 3. But at the same time none ofthose players on the Knicks have a contract that lasts into 2012, so it's kinda negated.

Hinrich fills the void at point guard and he would be a good fit in D'antoni's system. Plus it let's us draft a different player next year insteadof having to draft a point guard.

Originally Posted by devildog1776

Originally Posted by MeloVP

but still, the fact that these dudes still have jobs shows that dolan was photographed doin some real wild %%!#.

the whole game is rigged man. rigged.

tired.gif

on another, more serious note, what do yall think of this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/featur...~1711~1981~356&teams=4~4~4~18~18~18&te=&cash=
That trade is horrible.... Why would you replace Hinrich with jamal? Jamal is a pure scorer.. Drew Gooden cant fill up the box like Zbo. And larry hughes is a bum 3 out of every 4 games... NO..

i realized the error of my ways and edited it out in the offseason thread, but not in here

as for the trade, i only put jamal there because larry was gonna be there, can't have both of em

and as donnie has made clear, the goal is to clear room, but not to do it denver style (anal), as seen with the whole clippers fiasco

and i guarantee you that drew would have a more significant impact on this team than zach did last season

they promised duhon starter's minutes, so i figured it wouldn't make sense

but there aint really @$%$ chris could do about backing up hinrich for more years

i thought salaries have to match?
bust out your calculator.

Why do the trade rumors always include Chicago? Wouldn't it suck if that trade happen. Duhon comes to NY for a fresh start and soon Hinrich is here to takehis spot
laugh.gif

The Balkman move was to clear the glut at SF (Chandler, Gallinari, Balkman, Jared Jeffries [Jared will probably be bolted to the bench] ) and completely removeBalkman's salary (abut 1.5 million, not much) without any consequences since he was traded for two non-guaranteed contracts which were subsequently waived.

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

The Balkman move was to clear the glut at SF (Chandler, Gallinari, Balkman, Jared Jeffries [Jared will probably be bolted to the bench] ) and completely remove Balkman's salary (abut 1.5 million, not much) without any consequences since he was traded for two non-guaranteed contracts which were subsequently waived.

Yeah I still dont get how anyone doesnt see that this is a good move.

I'm not against the trade, I'm just completely indifferent. Like it doesn't do anything IMO. He woulda been like the 11th man on the bench anyway,so the move is just whatever to me. Not bad, not good.

Hopefully Steph is gone soon and we can do something about Z-Bo.

Back
Top Bottom