OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

[h1]WALSH EYES MAYO SWAP[/h1]
[h3]By MARC BERMAN[/h3]
[img]http://www.nypost.com/seven/06252008/photos/spo0b.jpg[/img]

O.J. Mayo

June 25, 2008 --

The KnicksNew York Knicks
t.gif
have polled NBA personnel the past few days, trying to figure out the chances of USC combo guard O.J. Mayo falling to them at six.

With the chances slim, Knick president Donnie Walsh is exploring ways of swapping picks with Memphis at No. 5 or Minnesota at No. 3, according to a league source, with their goal of drafting Mayo.

MORE: Knicks Blog

Walsh believes Mayo can play point guard and has deemed him the best player after Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley.

According ESPN.com, the Knicks even discussed a trade with Memphis about acquiring the fifth pick altogether, in dealing popular David LeeDavid Lee
t.gif
and Malik Rose for Brian Cardinal, who has two years left on his pact.

Cardinal's addition would not effect the Knicks' goal of moving under the salary cap by 2010. That trade likely would be contingent on Mayo being available at 5.

When asked yesterday about trading up or back, Walsh said, "I don't know if it's going to be available. It depends on how the draft goes to know if I want to do that."

Asked if anything were close, including a Memphis trade, Walsh said, "You have to ask the other guy. It takes two to tango. We have no deals right now. We have so many discussions. I don't want to get into specific ones."

Walsh met the press after a scouting meeting during which different trade scenarios were discussed. He has never made a draft-night deal with a first-round pick in 22 drafts, but coach Mike D'Antoni has wheeled his first-rounder the last four drafts.

Walsh appears worried one of the PGs he likes won't be there at No. 6. Sources indicate the Knicks no longer are interested in Arizona combo guard Jerryd Bayless. But they still pine for UCLA PG Russell Westbrook, an athletic, explosive penetrator who's a solid defender, and Indians sharpshooting combo guard Eric Gordon.

Westbrook could go to Seattle at No. 4. Meanwhile, Gordon is more shooting guard than PG.

"People in front of us have control over [the guys we want]," Walsh said. "It's real confusing. Point guards, they can all be gone by [No. 6]."

As for the purest PG in the draft, the 5-10 D.J. Augustin, the Knicks appear to deem him too small to take a chance on at No. 6. ESPN draft analyst Jay Bilas said yesterday if he needed a PG, he'd take Augustin over Bayless and Westbrook.

Walsh said he won't be devastated if he doesn't come away with a PG.

"This is the first step to the offseason," Walsh said, referring to free agency.

"There are other steps. If the right person is available, you look at the position. If the person isn't available, you don't."

If the Knicks can't trade up for Mayo and the right PG isn't there at 6, Walsh could take the 6-10 Italian Stallion, Dino Gallinari, or 6-10 LSU freshman Anthony Randolph, a project with a big upside

what if it turns out we manage to get the number 3 pick and mayo and rose are gone....we could actually have a chance of getting Beasley.....so in a crazyworld of fantasy knicks land, we can end up trading David Lee for Beasley
grin.gif
eek.gif
nerd.gif
.....of course, in a crazy world this would happen
tired.gif

Every time the Knicks are thinking of making a good move, somehow the Heat have to mess it up. Hopefully the Heat trade down for Brand and the Clips wantBeasley (although I heard they're very impressed by Mayo, but I'm not sure as a #2 pick)

smh I'm not going to listen to ESPN and just wait and see for it myself. Chad Ford's mock draft is terrible and Andy Katz is a tool. I'll wait forthe Draft to have my heart torn out of my chest when we draft the Italian
sick.gif

just wanted to post this mock draft from Yahoo that made me
sick.gif
mad.gif
indifferent.gif

Mock draft: Take 4
By Jonathan Givony, DraftExpress.com
Jun 24, 2:01 pm EDT
Buzz Up
Print

1. Chicago Bulls - Derrick Rose, PG, 19, 6-3, 190 pounds (Memphis freshman): Chicago appeases the locals by taking the player that fits the culture and direction of its organization. He also brings an incredible amount of talent to the table.

2. Miami Heat - Michael Beasley, PF, 19, 6-9, 235 pounds (Kansas State freshman): Are Heat really brave enough to pass taking the leading candidate for Rookie of the Year honors.

3. Minnesota Timberwolves - O.J. Mayo, PG/SG, 20, 6-5, 195 pounds (USC freshman): Mayo adds talent to a backcourt that had high expectations but has little very little thus far. This may not be his first choice, but they call it a draft for a reason.

4. Seattle SuperSonics- Brook Lopez, C, 20, 7-0, 260 pounds (Stanford sophomore): If Sonics decide to go big, Lopez will be the choice. Russell Westbrook also figures to be in play here.

5. Memphis Grizzlies - Kevin Love, PF/C, 19, 6-9, 255 pounds (UCLA freshman): This may be a reach, but Memphis likes Love and needs to take a frontcourt player at all costs.

6. New York Knicks - Danilo Gallinari, SF, 19, 6-9, 209 pounds (Armani Jeans Milano, international): Gallinari is the first cornerstone of Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni's extensive rebuilding effort.

7. Los Angeles Clippers - Jerryd Bayless, PG/SG, 19, 6-3, 199 pounds (Arizona freshman): The Clippers are ecstatic to see possibly the best guard prospect in this draft slip to seven and fill their biggest team need.

8. Milwaukee Bucks - Joe Alexander, 21, 6-8, 230 pounds (West Virginia junior): The Bucks have a big need at small forward and will want to take a player with great athleticism and upside and a high intensity level.

9. Charlotte Bobcats - Russell Westbrook, PG/SG, 19, 6-3, 187 pounds (UCLA sophomore): Larry Brown finally got chance to see Westbrook in person. Still, Bobcats will be fortunate if he falls this far considering Seattle also has interest.

10. New Jersey Nets - Eric Gordon, SG, 19, 6-3, 215 pounds (Indiana freshman): Gordon can play alongside Devin Harris in the backcourt and still be able to focus on what he does best-scoring.

11. Indiana Pacers - D.J. Augustin, PG, 20 , 5-11, 175 pounds (Texas sophomore): The Pacers like Westbrook, but still feel fortunate to get Augustin considering he fills their biggest position of need - and is of strong character.

12. Sacramento Kings - Anthony Randolph, SF/PF, 18, 6-11, 220 pounds (LSU freshman): Geoff Petrie knows his team is lacking athleticism in a major way, and will be very happy to scoop up Randolph after he falls a few spots lower than he probably hoped.

13. Portland Trail Blazers - Alexis Ajinca, C, 20, 7-1, 225 pounds (Hyeres-Toulon, international): Anjica has been making a charge up some draft boards. With Greg Oden expected to debut, Blazers also have luxury of bringing Anjica along.

14. Golden State Warriors - Donte Greene, SF/PF, 20, 6-10, 220 pounds (Syracuse freshman): Golden State isn't married to any of their forwards for the long-term, and Donte Greene would be an excellent fit for Don Nelson's offense.

15. Phoenix Suns (from Atlanta) - Brandon Rush, SG/SF, 22, 6-7, 211 pounds (Kansas junior): GM Steve Kerr wants greater emphasis on defense and Rush just happens to be one of the best defenders you'll find on the board.

16. Philadelphia 76ers - DeAndre Jordan, C, 19 , 7-0, 260 pounds (Texas A&M freshman): At this point in the draft Jordan's upside and physical tools outweigh the many question marks about his skill level.

17. Toronto Raptors - Robin Lopez, PF/C, 20, 7-0, 255 pounds (Stanford sophomore): Robin Lopez also has been moving up. He'll give the Raptors, who have looked at moving Rasho Nesterovic, a quality post defender.

18. Washington Wizards - Darrell Arthur, PF, 20, 6-9, 215 pounds (Kansas sophomore): The Wizards are in a position to draft the best player available and will like the athleticism and skill-level that Arthur brings to the table.

19. Cleveland Cavaliers - Kosta Koufos, C, 19, 7-1, 245 pounds (Ohio State freshman): Zydrunas Ilgauskas is still quality starter, giving Koufos time to develop.

20. Denver Nuggets - JaVale McGee, C, 20, 7-0, 237 pounds (Nevada sophomore): The Nuggets, who have looked at moving Marcus Camby, could be too intrigued by McGee's all-around talent to let him slip any further, even if it will take him considerable time to develop.

21. New Jersey Nets (from Dallas) - Marreese Speights, PF/C, 20, 6-10, 245 pounds (Florida sophomore): The Nets need size after taking a SF with their first pick, and are yearning for an athlete who can play both frontcourt positions. GM Rod Thorn also is said to favor Koufos if he drops this far.

22. Orlando Magic - Courtney Lee, SG/SF, 22, 6-5, 200 pounds (Western Kentucky senior): The Magic have been looking for a quality SG for some time now, and Lee is a high character, extremely versatile defender who can space the floor for Dwight Howard.

23. Utah Jazz - Roy Hibbert, C, 21, 7-2, 272 pounds (Georgetown senior): Hibbert would help give Jazz the shot-blocking presence they have lacked.

24. Seattle SuperSonics (from Phoenix) - J.J. Hickson, PF, 19, 6-9, 242 North Carolina State freshman): Hickson has been moving up on some boards; Sonics have time for him to develop.

25. Houston Rockets - Douglas-Roberts, SG/SF, 21, 6-7, 200 pounds (Memphis junior): The Rockets are looking at slashing wing players who are tough and can defend, and CDR surely fits the bill.

26. San Antonio Spurs - Ryan Anderson, PF, 20, 6-10, 240 (California sophomore): With Tiago Splitter electing to stay in Spain, Spurs could use another young big. Jason Thompson also could be pick here.

27. New Orleans Hornets - Mario Chalmers, PG, 22, 6-1, 190 pounds (Kansas junior): The Hornets don't have a true backup point guard and Chalmers suits their style of basketball. He can defend, shoot and is excellent in transition.

28. Memphis Grizzlies (from L.A. Lakers) - Jason Thompson, C, 21, 6-11, 250 pounds (Rider senior): Memphis needs all the size it can get, and Thompson, who has been making a late climb, can give them that.

29. Detroit Pistons - Bill Walker, SF, 20, 6-6, 225 pounds (Kansas State freshman): Walker had been slated to go here before his injury. Do Pistons still gamble on him?

30. Boston Celtics - DeVon Hardin, C, 21, 6-11, 250 pounds (California senior): The Celtics could end up dealing the pick to keep from adding to their luxury-tax hit. If they keep it, Hardin gives them get a tough, defensive-oriented athletic backup center.
if we take the Italian with Westbrook, Bayless, and Augustine on the board im starting Fire Walsh chants.

sorry for another post but this Mardy Collins quote had me
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

"It was a tough situation," said Collins. "For me, in my draft class, everything was all over the place. No one knew who was going where. I was projected to go anywhere from 10th overall to the second round. It was a tough process, and I was most definitely nervous on draft day. I didn't know where I was going to end up at. I mean, it's a big day for a guy who wants to go pro."
what the %$%$.
roll.gif
roll.gif
what $%$@!*% moron projected Collins to go 10th overall in the NBA draft??!! Imean he is an unathletic PG with no upside whocant shoot... i remember that draft and Collins was projected nowhere near top 10. %#+*!. Son is lucky to havegotten drafted.
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I just have a bad feeling about things..
Yeah. I can't explain it. We have a great opportunity to change the franchise and point it to the right direction, but for some reason there'san even greater opportunity to go in the same direction we've been going the last 6+ seasons.

yea some of the more recent mocks are driving me nuts...i'll be pissed if we take the italian guy with bayless, westbrook, and dj still out thtere

Originally Posted by THE GR8

sorry for another post but this Mardy Collins quote had me
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

"It was a tough situation," said Collins. "For me, in my draft class, everything was all over the place. No one knew who was going where. I was projected to go anywhere from 10th overall to the second round. It was a tough process, and I was most definitely nervous on draft day. I didn't know where I was going to end up at. I mean, it's a big day for a guy who wants to go pro."
what the %$%$.
roll.gif
roll.gif
what $%$@!*% moron projected Collins to go 10th overall in the NBA draft??!! I mean he is an unathletic PG with no upside whocant shoot... i remember that draft and Collins was projected nowhere near top 10. %#+*!. Son is lucky to have gotten drafted.
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

Probably Chad Ford
grin.gif

I'm going to try to stay away from the rumors and possible deals and trades until it's official and it's draft night.

This organization has made me even more of a pessimist, so I'm very cautious going into this draft.

There's a lot the Knicks could do to help and improve this franchise, or we could take a huge step backwards.

It'll still take time whoever we pick to see if it was the right move or if they're a bust, so I'll reserve judgment.

Here's to the best..

anyone going to the draft? and are the tickets free or do they cost $$? and whats the best time to show up to get tickets?

Mayo will be gone by the the 3rd pick. Unless the Knicks somehow manage to trade up into the top 2-3, we will not get him this draft. I'm not sure why someof you guys are holding out hope he will last until 6, or even 5 if we end up acquiring that pick.

Let's talk about realistic options, because unless we trade up, or Mayo does some Steve Francis type holdout,he will not be in a Knicks jersey.

I'll take Bayless or Westbrook and be happy. We got screwed out of other possibilities when the ping pong balls let us down. Let's stop with thefantasies and fairy tales and deal with reality.

Back
Top Bottom