OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

Sheesh, why is everyone so against the Italian kid?

I wont really be upset regardless of who we pick. I've learned that you can't predict who will turn out to be the best pick.

Who knows, he could end up being a great pick.

^^i dont like what i hear from him. i hear he isnt as good as he is advertised... and why the @!%+ would we take another 3? I personally wouldnt like the picki hear he is kind of soft like most Euro players and he isnt as good as advertised... id rather Chandler play the 3, i just dont think he would be much of anupgrade to trade Lee for.

EDIT:

from nbadraft.net

Danilo Gallinari (Italy)

Widely considered by most experts as the top international prospect available this year, Gallinari is an offensively sound prospect.

At the young age of 19, Gallinari was able to put up solid numbers against the best competition in Europe, averaging 17.5 ppg and 5.7 rpg.

But, Danilo struggles athletically, as he is neither quick nor fast. He has stiff legs and will likely struggle on the defensive end of the floor.

Furthermore, Gallinari doesn't rebound well, which suggests that he could become a one-dimensional player.

While Gallinari can be a solid NBA player and is more NBA ready than most, his upside is limited and taking him within the top 10, as he's expected to be, he is one of this year's overrated prospects.

pass
ohwell.gif

and why the %%%@ would we take another 3?
90% of the roster will be gone over the next few seasons. These players will not be part of the solution. Guys like Quentin and Jared Jeffries(would he count as one of our SFs?) can't be gone any sooner. We're rebuilding, so I don't think positions really matter.

I understand the problems we've had with foreign players in the past, and that he's presumed to be soft, but there's always room for growth, right?

Chandler is my point as well.

The guy should start at the 3 ASAP.

But yeah what I hear is that although he is skilled, he lacks lateral quickness and explosiveness.

I'm anti European players for the most part. Most are soft, they play the game differenltly.

Come on, Chandler?

I love the dude too, but we, as Knicks fans, seem to constantly overrate our players. Our team sucks, anyone can look somewhat talented when they'replaying garbage minutes and they're surrounded by guys like Eddy Curry, Jamal Crawford, Jared Jeffries, Malik Rose, Mardy Collins etc.

I've learned my lesson last year with Mardy. Thought he had it in him to be a solid PG, but son just looked like an idiot out there.

Maybe I'm just preparing myself for disappointment, though.
laugh.gif

Na..

Him and Mardy aren't comparable.

Mardy was a 4 year player at Temple, good college player...but with no upside and a combo guard. That won't translate well. I remember someone threw out aKidd comparison last spring and I lost it...
laugh.gif
...cause he just isn'tthat good. At all.

Chandler just turned 21. If he went back to Depaul for his junior year, he'd be Top 15 in this draft. He's the same year as Alexander, and no doubt inmy mind he's the better player.

He has size, he's athletic, he rebounds, he really rebounds, he can defend and play team ball. His jump shot needswork.

But he's legit.

just thought of another scenario...let me know what you think...trade for the 5th pick...package 5 and 6 for #2 and draft beasley...let steph and nate play outthe year...hopefully we're still lottery bound...draft ricky rubio....make a decent run at the 8 spot in 09-10...sign lebron/wade/melo/bosh/whateverall-star we can get

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

just thought of another scenario...let me know what you think...trade for the 5th pick...package 5 and 6 for #2 and draft beasley...let steph and nate play out the year...hopefully we're still lottery bound...draft ricky rubio....make a decent run at the 8 spot in 09-10...sign lebron/wade/melo/bosh/whatever all-star we can get

Like it.

Beasley would be
pimp.gif
...and Miami seems as if they would do that aswell.

You know with LeBron or even Wade...we wouldn't have to get a PG...a combo guard would work fine. But that's so far down the road and onlyhopes
ohwell.gif

I will say with DJ...

Kid is well spoken for, intelligent, a natural leader and would be refreshing to have on this team.

That would ease my thoughts on reaching for him at 6.

It'd be nice to have guys we actually could root for..

i think rubio could be our version of steve nash or even better
he has the size, decent shot, has great court vision/handle/passing ability and he is a good defender
plus dude is super young and i'm sure he would love to play in the NBA

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Come on, Chandler?

I love the dude too, but we, as Knicks fans, seem to constantly overrate our players.

True. But based on what I saw in Chandler, he has the ability to be a good third option while not demanding the ball. He can rebound and defend, has speedand athleticism. He's someone i'd like to see blossom under the Knicks organization.

While I agree that the Knicks should take more of a "best available player" approach to the draft, I too am against drafting a Euro baller. At a 5thor 6th, I expect an impact player who could possibly be a face of our franchise, not a good role player. If he is what the experts say he is, a one-dimensionalscorer with no defensive or athletic ability, then he'd be a terrible pick for the Knicks, because he WOULDN'T be the best available.

My draft has Rose, Beasley, Mayo, and Bayless gone by pick 5. If this trade goes down, the Knicks have so many damn options. They should use one pick to fill ahole, another for the "best available". I like DJ but in today's guard-driven league, his size will be a HUGE disadvantage. I like Westbrook andJoe Alexander because of their size and potential.

LOL all these RUMORS!!!!!!!!! its like a damn soap opera.... Well i would do that lee trade and PRAY that Mayo is on the board so we can scoop up kevin lovealso to be our PF..... god i cant wait for thursday.... for some reason i dont think i will be dissapointed because of walsh... i know he isnt gonna let thisfranchise fall even further down

I'm a big David Lee fan, but I think I'd make that trade, but NOT if they're picking up the Italian.

SMH at giving up on Lee. Dude gets better every freakin' season. Where exactly is his ceiling? Teams not only need talent, but they need character andleaders. For our sake I hope nothing goes down.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

SMH at giving up on Lee. Dude gets better every freakin' season. Where exactly is his ceiling? Teams not only need talent, but they need character and leaders. For our sake I hope nothing goes down.

I don't normally say this, but if you think David Lee is capable of being a franchise player or worthy of the number 5 pick, you are a moron. Lee is asolid role player on championship teams. He will never be a star and as much as I love him, if you could trade him for the number 5 you do that. Simple asthat. If they do get the 5, I would have no problem drafting DJ at 6 or trading the 6 down to get a late lottery pick and draft Love at 5.

"The Knicks are also apparently involved in talks with the Minnesota Timberwolves for the No. 3 pick, which would suggest they're trying hard to getin position to draft O.J. Mayo, a player Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh absolutely love."

"I've also heard today that Danilo Gallinari has slipped down their board a little, but he is still on it. The guy who has leaped ahead of everyone isRussell Westbrook, whose stock is very strong at No. 6. But if the Knicks somehow get two top-10 picks, they have more options. Joe Alexander might be anotheroption.
Though it would be doubtful that they would draft two guards, if they did, word is that Nate Robinson would be shopped and perhaps packaged with ZachRandolph."

Via Newsday

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

^ Love in Mike's offense?

*frowns*

Love actually wouldn't be all that bad in the offense. He could ignite the break off a rebound and outlet pass
grin.gif
And then trail and hit the jumper on top of the key. He's also a lot moreathletic than advertised and I think would be fine in an up tempo, pick and roll offense.

And if we trade Lee to draft the Italian I will be standing outside of Walsh's limo.
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom