OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Super Producer J wrote:

SMH at giving up on Lee. Dude gets better every freakin' season. Where exactly is his ceiling? Teams not only need talent, but they need character and
leaders. For our sake I hope nothing goes down.

I don't normally say this, but if you think David Lee is capable of being a franchise player or worthy of the number 5 pick, you are a moron. Lee is a
solid role player on championship teams. He will never be a star and as much as I love him, if you could trade him for the number 5 you do that. Simple as
that. If they do get the 5, I would have no problem drafting DJ at 6 or trading the 6 down to get a late lottery pick and draft Love at 5.

Whoa now, lets not start putting words in people's mouths (nh). Franchise player, no, I don't believe he's capable because franchiseplayers are franchise players from the start. However, Lee will be the type of player that provides backbone to a squad. I'm not going tomake any comparisons and whatnot, because I'm sure my point is being made. It just makes no sense to me because there is a plethora of talent out there,and many routes to take instead of trading away the one bright blip on the roster. Don't do it.

Donnie Walsh dreams of the Knicks getting LeBron James

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, June 23rd 2008, 11:39 PM

Donnie Walsh's long-range plan is to make a play for LeBron James when the James becomes a free agent in two years. In the interim, the Knicks' president is trying to clear salary cap space and assemble a few pieces that would make New York more appealing to James.

One such player is USC guard O.J. Mayo, who could go as high as third in Thursday's draft. The Minnesota Timberwolves own the pick and the club is open to trading it. The Knicks, who select sixth, are looking to move up and are intrigued by Mayo, who like coach Mike D'Antonio hails from West Virginia. The fact that Mayo, regarded as the top combo guard in the draft, is good friends with James doesn't hurt. There was a report yesterday that the Knicks and Grizzlies were working on a deal that would send David Lee and Malik Rose to Memphis for the fifth overall pick plus the two years and $13 million remaining on Brian Cardinal's contract.

Having the fifth and sixth picks in the first round would improve the Knicks' chances of landing Mayo if he somehow falls past Minnesota and Seattle. If Mayo is gone, the Knicks will be in position to draft a point guard (Jerryd Bayless, .J. Augustin, Russell Westbrook) plus another player

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Super Producer J wrote:

SMH at giving up on Lee. Dude gets better every freakin' season. Where exactly is his ceiling? Teams not only need talent, but they need character and
leaders. For our sake I hope nothing goes down.

I don't normally say this, but if you think David Lee is capable of being a franchise player or worthy of the number 5 pick, you are a moron. Lee is a
solid role player on championship teams. He will never be a star and as much as I love him, if you could trade him for the number 5 you do that. Simple as
that. If they do get the 5, I would have no problem drafting DJ at 6 or trading the 6 down to get a late lottery pick and draft Love at 5.
Whoa now, lets not start putting words in people's mouths (nh). Franchise player, no, I don't believe he's capable because franchise players are franchise players from the start. However, Lee will be the type of player that provides backbone to a squad. I'm not going to make any comparisons and whatnot, because I'm sure my point is being made. It just makes no sense to me because there is a plethora of talent out there, and many routes to take instead of trading away the one bright blip on the roster. Don't do it.

I feel you, but this could be the only way to draft OJ Mayo or have a chance at Beasley. The Knicks have to jump at this offer. Lee is replaceable.

I would trade the whole team for OJ Mayo....I really think he could be the centerpeice of the team....

However, I wouldn't trade David Lee for only the 5th pick, and the reason is that, we know that David Lee is capable of being a solid 25-30 min contributorwho's good for the team....Anthony Randolph and Danillo Gallinari are VERY high risk picks, and from what I've seen, if they draft Westbrook, he'dbe a risk/project as well....the only player in the draft I'd be willing to give up David Lee for is OJ Mayo, and maybe Bayless (but he wouldn't bedrafted 3rd anyway so that situation wouldn't come up)....

imo, my preference would be 1) Trade for 5, and 5 & 6 for Mayo, 2) trade down to get rid of Randolph/Curry provided that the pick brings at least someonedecent, 3)draft best player available at 6

oj+mayo1.jpg
+
Lebron-James-Photograph-C12211282.jpeg
+
artest.jpg
=
Larry_obrien_championship.jpg

Do it Donnie...

I have accepted the fact Mayo is not falling to us. He is too good and by leagues the 3rd best player in the draft. I am just hoping we trade the pick to getrid of Randolph. I just want to move a contract. I am not really a fan of any players in this draft except the big 3 and darrell arthur who we are not going topick. So I say trade down.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

"The Knicks are also apparently involved in talks with the Minnesota Timberwolves for the No. 3 pick, which would suggest they're trying hard to get in position to draft O.J. Mayo, a player Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh absolutely love."

"I've also heard today that Danilo Gallinari has slipped down their board a little, but he is still on it. The guy who has leaped ahead of everyone is Russell Westbrook, whose stock is very strong at No. 6. But if the Knicks somehow get two top-10 picks, they have more options. Joe Alexander might be another option.
Though it would be doubtful that they would draft two guards, if they did, word is that Nate Robinson would be shopped and perhaps packaged with Zach Randolph."

Via Newsday

id also do that in a heartbeat. we can move up to 3rd pick and lose boseph's contract at the same time.

SMH at giving up on Lee. Dude gets better every freakin' season. Where exactly is his ceiling? Teams not only need talent, but they need character and leaders. For our sake I hope nothing goes down.
We're not giving up on Lee, but his stock is sky-high right now. In fact, his stock is so high that he could be considered overrated. He'smoney for a double-double, but his low-post defense and pure scoring ability is hindering him from becoming a true star player. The rumored trade wouldessentially be Lee for Gallinari, which I am 100% against, only because there are better options at #5. We'd love to keep Lee, but he is definitelyexpendable if we have the opportunity to move up in the draft and get a player that would truly change the franchise. OJ Mayo could be that player.

SMH at giving up on Lee. Dude gets better every freakin' season. Where exactly is his ceiling? Teams not only need talent, but they need character and leaders. For our sake I hope nothing goes down.

i didnt read the rest of the posts for tonight but i wanted to oment o htis as i had this discussion tonight about Lee.
yall know i love lee as much asanyone probably even more. But ee has one more year on his contract and will be demanding big bucks next summer. The Knicks will not be able to pay David Lreehis 10+ million $ and still be able to make a run on a guy like Lebron in 2010. I love my dude Lee but i dont know if he will work out as a knick. I think thatis why there is talks of us tra∂ing him because we want to get value out of him... and his value right now is sky high and if we aint gonna resign him for amax contract why not trade him and get value when his value is this high, and Lee along with Nate are my favorite Knicks btw.

just thought of another scenario...let me know what you think...trade for the 5th pick...package 5 and 6 for #2 and draft beasley...let steph and nate play out the year...hopefully we're still lottery bound...draft ricky rubio....make a decent run at the 8 spot in 09-10...sign lebron/wade/melo/bosh/whatever all-star we can get
love it
I will say with DJ...

Kid is well spoken for, intelligent, a natural leader and would be refreshing to have on this team.

That would ease my thoughts on reaching for him at 6.

It'd be nice to have guys we actually could root for..
im with you on this one allen. I am a big fan of DJ and if we chose him i would not be upset even the slightest bit, he is a great talent that hasgreat character... and i am with you on Chandler as well.

Back
Top Bottom