OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

hey sup guys, i'm back in this thread to ask another opinion from you guys..

i was thinkin today that if for some reason we don't get a top 3 pick n get either Rose, B-easy, or Mayo, we should trade down n get more picks n pick up DJ Augustin and someone else like a Hibbert or Douglas-Roberts, what do you guys think? basically what im saying is that if we can't get those 3 Franchise type players, we should get 2 good to very good players instead

Mayo is far from a lock at #3. But yeah really, i am not that interested in Bayless or Lopez i mean i wouldnt be opposed to getting one of them of course,but i would rather trade down and get multiple picks and pick up Augustine and a big man like Jason Thompson or Dorsey

Trading down for picks sounds like a good idea, but it's not as easy to do like it is in the NFL. The quality of players diminishes greatly after everypick, so trading down might put the Knicks in even more of a roster jumble. Jersey would most certainly be interested in our projected 5th pick (for BrookLopez), but if they ask for too much, we can't pull the trigger. The Knicks are in need of a star player, so maybe trading down and adding more playerswouldn't be a good idea. Let's pray that we hear Seattle and Miami be called for 4th and 5th.

Jason Thompson is an interesting player. Although he plays against weaker teams, you can't go wrong with 20 and 10. Adding him might make Balkmanexpendable and may help bring in some veteran players.

Some of you may disagree with me, but I think the Knicks should look into Brandon Rush (that is, IF we acquire a late-round pick). He comes from a Championshipteam, plays very disciplined ball, shoots the ball well, and is a coachable player, something the Knicks sorely lack. No player on the Knicks comes from awinning background (except Eddy Curry, who wins multiple pie-eating contests a year). Adding a player of his "pedigree" wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thompson was the most impressive big man I saw all year..(6'10 and over)

Maybe not the upside as Lopez though.

But regardless of MAAC competition..he is the real deal...as his stats against top comp prove.

I like Rush...he's Late Rnd 1 it seems.

And one thing...if there was ever a year TO HAVE A 2ND RND PICK THIS IS IT

And we dont
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Trading down for picks sounds like a good idea, but it's not as easy to do like it is in the NFL. The quality of players diminishes greatly after every pick, so trading down might put the Knicks in even more of a roster jumble. Jersey would most certainly be interested in our projected 5th pick (for Brook Lopez), but if they ask for too much, we can't pull the trigger. The Knicks are in need of a star player, so maybe trading down and adding more players wouldn't be a good idea. Let's pray that we hear Seattle and Miami be called for 4th and 5th.

Jason Thompson is an interesting player. Although he plays against weaker teams, you can't go wrong with 20 and 10. Adding him might make Balkman expendable and may help bring in some veteran players.

Some of you may disagree with me, but I think the Knicks should look into Brandon Rush (that is, IF we acquire a late-round pick). He comes from a Championship team, plays very disciplined ball, shoots the ball well, and is a coachable player, something the Knicks sorely lack. No player on the Knicks comes from a winning background (except Eddy Curry, who wins multiple pie-eating contests a year). Adding a player of his "pedigree" wouldn't be a bad thing.

laugh.gif
@ noting Curry's "accomplishments. Interesting thoughtsregarding Rush...I do also think the Knicks need an impact player. The franchise knows that and I think thats what they will go after. I still have a verygood feeling that ping pong balls will bounce our way.

On a side note...

We all know how weird and random the NT ads are, but what the heck...

2cmu62s.jpg

Why would I want to hear to sound of MSG booing Isiah when my phone rings?

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

On a side note...

We all know how weird and random the NT ads are, but what the heck...

2cmu62s.jpg

Why would I want to hear to sound of MSG booing Isiah when my phone rings?

eek.gif
roll.gif

Thompson, Rush,Dorsey are all within that# 21 range so that trade with Jersey would make sense for both squads. Jersey would get the guy they want withLopez, and we get 2 quality players in Augustin and (fill in blank with PF or C)

In today's news:

[h1]FIRED MAVS COACH ON KNICKS' RADAR[/h1]
[h3]By MARC BERMAN[/h3]
[img]http://www.nypost.com/seven/05022008/photos/sports065.jpg[/img]

Avery Johnson

May 2, 2008 --

KnicksNew York Knicks
t.gif
president Donnie Walsh made preliminary contact with Avery Johnson yesterday to express interest ininterviewing the fired Mavericks coach and is also monitoring the Suns' situation with Mike D'Antoni that could be resolved by the weekend, accordingto sources.

D'Antoni has a meeting today with owner Robert Sarver and GM Steve Kerr and a decision on his future could be known by tomorrow. The rift betweenD'Antoni and Kerr likely will lead to the Suns coach moving on, whether he resigns, is fired or reaches a buyout.

MORE: Knicks Blog

Walsh has the Suns' offensive innovator high on his wish list but there's no assurance he would want to come to the Knicks' dire situation,especially with Chicago, Dallas and Toronto, whose GM is close friend Bryan Colangelo, in the bidding.

However, a source close to D'Antoni told The Post the Suns coach has a good relationship with Walsh and would definitely interview for the Knicks job.James Dolan's Knicks have an advantage in owning the resources to outbid other franchises, with an offer that could start at $6 million per year.

"He respects Donnie and knows Donnie for a long time," the source said. "Mike is very aware of the Knicks' history and the prominence ofthe Garden."

If D'Antoni quits, there's speculation Colangelo would then fire Sam Mitchell and hire D'Antoni. That would leave Sam Mitchell on the market forWalsh.

This potential coaching carousel hasn't helped Mark Jackson's bid, but the Queens product still is very much in the picture and may get the job ifit comes down to him, Johnson and Mitchell. It's unclear if an interview has been set up. Johnson is seeking an agent because his current rep, Tony Dutt,is not allowed to represent coaches anymore because he also does players.

[email protected]

Avery seems very stubborn, which I don't like..but maybe is needed.

However, I DO think he is a good coach.

That Dallas was simply not good enough to compete with the best teams in the West

Some interesting developments for sure in the coaching ranks. Johnson could be an interesting candidate. But there is no coach that can win games with thecurrent team we have. Whoever takes this job has to be prepared for a 2-3 year process, at the very least, of replacing this roster with players who can win.So it may be worse if we hire a coach who will be expected to win.

High expectations are a terrible thing for a team thats in the midst of rebuilding.

If you want a good laugh...look through this post from the start.
roll.gif
tired.gif

I made my way through 20 pages this morning.
laugh.gif

I gota give myself a pat on the back from November

Sorry,

its over

2-7 now??

And you know for the last 73 games...the best we can manage is .500..and thats a stretch

I'm ready for Derrick Rose on the Knicks

Originally Posted by allen3xis

If you want a good laugh...look through this post from the start.
roll.gif
tired.gif

I made my way through 20 pages this morning.
laugh.gif

I gota give myself a pat on the back from November

Sorry,

its over

2-7 now??

And you know for the last 73 games...the best we can manage is .500..and thats a stretch

I'm ready for Derrick Rose on the Knicks

What are your predictions for next season??
laugh.gif

man i like Avery as a coach cause he gets teams to play D and hes a young energetic coach....

but than on the other hand my heart says +%%$ that becuse he tore it into pieces with that dagger in game 5 of the 99 finals. Sprewell was murdering them thatgame and it seemed like we would be able to win another game, but than Avery with the dagger.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by THE GR8

man i like Avery as a coach cause he gets teams to play D and hes a young energetic coach....

but than on the other hand my heart says +%%$ that becuse he tore it into pieces with that dagger in game 5 of the 99 finals. Sprewell was murdering them that game and it seemed like we would be able to win another game, but than Avery with the dagger.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
tired.gif

Forget about Avery Johnson, I'll never forgive him for that.
mad.gif
mad.gif

^Ehh its whatever. Lets not act like Avery was a Knick killer. He hit a big time shot in a series we had no chance to win without PE33...its not like we arehiring Reggie Miller to coach the team.

[h1]Sam Mitchell on Knicks' candidate list[/h1]
BY MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 12:49 AM

amd_sam.jpg
Heiman/Getty
Sam Mitchell has a connection with Donnie Walsh and is a candidate for the open Knicks' coaching spot.

Toronto President Bryan Colangelo ran off to scout in Spain this weekend, insisting that Sam Mitchell will coach the Raptors next season.

Mitchell has been mentioned as a candidate for the Knicks'coaching job because of his ties to team president Donnie Walsh.

"I finished my meetings with our players and I met with Sam and we both left the meeting under the impression that he will be coaching here nextseason," Colangelo said yesterday before flying off to attend the European Final Four in Madrid. "And I can tell you that Donnie has not called me about Sam. I have not talked to DonnieWalsh."

Mitchell didn't end the season on a good note, as the Raptors won only one game in the playoffs against Orlando after losing 16 of their last 25 regular-season games. Although Mitchell is set to stay inToronto, he could be free to change jobs if Mike D'Antoni and the Phoenix Suns part ways, as is expected.

Walsh supposedly is meeting in the next few days with Avery Johnson, theex-Mavericks coach who could resurface in Phoenix if there is a vacancy. But the meeting that could set the coaching carousel spinning took place yesterday,with D'Antoni having a sit-down with Suns GM Steve Kerr and team ownerRobert Sarver. D'Antoni has two years and $8.5 million left on hisdeal, but is not going to quit.

Kerr wants the Suns to become a better defensive team and looks at Johnson as an upgrade in that department. The two played together for the Spurs for three seasons (1999-01) and reportedly already have talked.

While the Knicks could offer Johnson more money than Phoenix, the Suns can give Johnson the chance to coach a team that could be back in the title hunt withsome roster changes.

If D'Antoni becomes available, he could wind up in Toronto working for Colangelo, his former boss in Phoenix. That reunion has long been rumored,although Colangelo continues to deny interest in D'Antoni, who would also be pursued by Dallas. The Mavs feel they need to open up their offense with Jason Kidd and believe that D'Antoni, despite his shortcomings as a defensive coach, is the best optionfor accomplishing that.

If Toronto beats Dallas to the punch for D'Antoni, that would allow Walsh to pursue Mitchell knowing that he won't need to give up any compensation.Walsh apparently still has Mark Jackson as his top pick to succeed Isiah Thomas.

wasn't Sam Mitchell Stephon Marbury's mentor his rookie year in Minnesota? not sure if that means anything tho...

I'm convinced this team will be trash until there's cap space...just hope they get a solid PG and a defensive Big man (a tyson chandler/marcuscamby/samuel dalembert-type) in the next 2 drafts/years, maybe we should tank next year...they also should ship out either curry/randolph for any contractsthat expire by 2010 because it just plain didn't work out, and i think one of them paired with a rebounding/defensive big man can work...also, seeing them,and knowing my cablevision bill indirectly pays for their meals makes me sick...

So if they get a leader-PG (derrick rose, fingers crossed), the defensive stopper-pf/c (hasheem thabeet in 09?), trade Curry to get under the cap and get ago-to option in summer 2010 (Lebron James, Ray Allen, Dwyane Wade, Tracy McGrady, Richard Hamilton, Michael Redd, and Joe Johnson are potential free agentsthat year), i'll finally have faith in this team actually being able to win something with a team of:

1: *2008 Draft pick (hopefully Derrick Rose)
2: Crawford (maybe the new coach can teach him to play a little defense)
3: *2010 free agent
4: Randolph
5: *2009 draft pick

but this is just a far off pipe dream and is never gonna happen, i think it just shows HOW AWFUL and hopeless the team is now, given that this starting 5 willonly have 2 current players :/ so im not too optimistic about the future...

^^yeah yo i do not want Z-Bo back that dude plays NO D. How can you say him at PF but have no mention of Lee? That is our PF for the future

Back
Top Bottom