Official NBA OFF-SEASON Thread - 2011: Free Agency Dec. 9th

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Watching Jonas Valanciunas u19 tournament, no homer but Cleavland may have made a very very large mistake.

He's like a 7ft Joakim Noah who shoots 80% from the line.
I said the same thing immediately when they passed on him. Incredible motor and drive, great efficiency, a 7 footer, and he's only 19? For the Cavs who aren't making the playoffs next season + the fact we might not even have a season... letting him mature and develop another year might have been better long term than taking Thompson. 
I thought Biyombo would have been a great pick for Toronto, but they had to take Jonas since he was there.
I had no problem with the pick to I had them 3/4 on my list of prospects, what I can't understand is the massive gamble Utah took on the Enes Kanter with 3, Valenciunas probably should have went third.

Watching Jonas Valanciunas u19 tournament, no homer but Cleavland may have made a very very large mistake.

I said the same thing immediately when they passed on him. Incredible motor and drive, great efficiency, a 7 footer, and he's only 19? For the Cavs who aren't making the playoffs next season + the fact we might not even have a season... letting him mature and develop another year might have been better long term than taking Thompson. 
I thought Biyombo would have been a great pick for Toronto, but they had to take Jonas since he was there.
I had no problem with the pick to I had them 3/4 on my list of prospects, what I can't understand is the massive gamble Utah took on the Enes Kanter with 3, Valenciunas probably should have went third.

Perhaps they thought Kanter's game would be better alongside Favors compared to Jonas?

Just a thought... because I agree with you, any team picking Kanter top 5 was taking a gamble. While I'm a fan of his, I don't really see why he was ahead of Jonas in most of the boards/lists I saw. It's not as if Kanter is projected to be the next Wilt or Shaq by any means, and Jonas is plenty skilled and physically talented with a better resume of actual games to evaluate.

Perhaps they thought Kanter's game would be better alongside Favors compared to Jonas?

Just a thought... because I agree with you, any team picking Kanter top 5 was taking a gamble. While I'm a fan of his, I don't really see why he was ahead of Jonas in most of the boards/lists I saw. It's not as if Kanter is projected to be the next Wilt or Shaq by any means, and Jonas is plenty skilled and physically talented with a better resume of actual games to evaluate.

I dont know if any other kobe fans else had thought about it this way; i actually would like to see kobe going oversea to play for a year, get that 'ship, scoring champ. etc..to prove that he's the best of the both world, to accomplish something that no other NBA greats have done, just a thought..

I dont know if any other kobe fans else had thought about it this way; i actually would like to see kobe going oversea to play for a year, get that 'ship, scoring champ. etc..to prove that he's the best of the both world, to accomplish something that no other NBA greats have done, just a thought..

Cleveland took no real risk .
Thompson is at worse a good defensive player a 2 or 3 position rebounder on the defensive end, and his offensive rebounding might be the same.
at best he is a Tyrus Thomas who can be trusted playing 30-35 minutes cause he isnt a knuckle head. The only real issue with that is that it took Tyrus 4 years to become that guy who you look at like if I could only play him 30-35 minutes a game.
If I have to face the prospect of taking a guy whom I will have to wait a year to get + has many of the same development flaws/ tasks Every else being equal I take the guy who will be in North America. But that aint the case is it.
The facts are that Thompson is a better sell.
Toronto only got him cause they are 3 years away from making the playoffs though

Thompson is at worse a good defensive player a 2 or 3 position rebounder on the defensive end, and his offensive rebounding might be the same.
at best he is a Tyrus Thomas who can be trusted playing 30-35 minutes cause he isnt a knuckle head. The only real issue with that is that it took Tyrus 4 years to become that guy who you look at like if I could only play him 30-35 minutes a game.
If I have to face the prospect of taking a guy whom I will have to wait a year to get + has many of the same development flaws/ tasks Every else being equal I take the guy who will be in North America. But that aint the case is it.
Toronto only got him cause they are 3 years away from making the playoffs though

Originally Posted by FullMetal

delonte's swag in unparalleled
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

And how many years do you think Cleveland is from the playoffs? Because I say at least 3 for them too. They will still be awful next season... they'll make some strides by season 2... and maybe in 3 seasons, depending on what happens in the East, do they break through and nab the 8th seed. 
Thompson might have been the safer pick, but not by much. When you say his best case scenario is a starting Tyrus Thomas... I'm not thrilled at taking him #4 overall. And if they drafted Jonas, sure, that might be a difficult sell for the worst team in the league not to have a top pick playing this season, but we're in a lockout and everyone expects to miss games... what's there to really sell?  Cavs fans shouldn't expect playoffs next year, and Tristan Thompson isn't putting fans in the seats by any means.
The Cavs need talent and at their worst case scenarios, Thompson and Jonas are both athletic guys who hustle... except Jonas is taller, much more efficient, and has a higher ceiling. I don't care if he's not coming over for a year, that's a risk you have to take.

And how many years do you think Cleveland is from the playoffs? Because I say at least 3 for them too. They will still be awful next season... they'll make some strides by season 2... and maybe in 3 seasons, depending on what happens in the East, do they break through and nab the 8th seed. 
Thompson might have been the safer pick, but not by much. When you say his best case scenario is a starting Tyrus Thomas... I'm not thrilled at taking him #4 overall. And if they drafted Jonas, sure, that might be a difficult sell for the worst team in the league not to have a top pick playing this season, but we're in a lockout and everyone expects to miss games... what's there to really sell?  Cavs fans shouldn't expect playoffs next year, and Tristan Thompson isn't putting fans in the seats by any means.
The Cavs need talent and at their worst case scenarios, Thompson and Jonas are both athletic guys who hustle... except Jonas is taller, much more efficient, and has a higher ceiling. I don't care if he's not coming over for a year, that's a risk you have to take.

I will say this Jonas was their best oppertunity to grab a decent center prospect between the next couple drafts, but the truth is that they will continue with the Andy Varejao at center idea and try and develop Thompson.
I personally think he is closer to a 7ft Varejao than a Noah. His mobility is no where close to Noah's Thompson has more offensive upside too. Its real easy to be efficent with no low post touches.
To be fair I been High on Thompson since Jan of last year.
I thought the top 5 would look like this
Barnes
Kanter if he played
Irving
Thompson
Vesely
Even if they can get rid of one contract they have no clue who to pick.
Is it the guy with the most years with the most money? Bargs?
Is it the guy who is impeding the progress of their 2nd most talented player? Calderon?
Is it the guy with the worst production Johnson?
Bayless
Derozan
Barnes in a best case next year
 Amir Johnson
Bargs
is a decent starting lineup if you think those guys will continue to develop then eventually finding a way to get rid of Johnson.
But I aint finna convince you that Thompson is a better prospect so why try.
Im just worried about getting a no reprucussions no salary cap implications cut of Carlos Boozer.

I will say this Jonas was their best oppertunity to grab a decent center prospect between the next couple drafts, but the truth is that they will continue with the Andy Varejao at center idea and try and develop Thompson.
I personally think he is closer to a 7ft Varejao than a Noah. His mobility is no where close to Noah's Thompson has more offensive upside too. Its real easy to be efficent with no low post touches.
Barnes
Kanter if he played
Irving
Thompson
Vesely
Is it the guy who is impeding the progress of their 2nd most talented player? Calderon?
Bayless
Derozan
 Amir Johnson
Bargs
is a decent starting lineup if you think those guys will continue to develop then eventually finding a way to get rid of Johnson.
Im just worried about getting a no reprucussions no salary cap implications cut of Carlos Boozer.

1. No one said they took a risk, they simply did something stupid.
2. He does not have many of the same flaws though, he's a much better shooter than tristan and has the size to play his position.
3. Were in a lockout, waiting 1 year is an irreverent point. Even if we weren't Jonas is still the better prospect the cavs aren't playing for the championship why do they care about 1 year. PLUS they had TWO first round picks, all the more reason to take Jonas.
laugh.gif

4. The cavs aren't 3 years from making the playoffs?
roll.gif

1. No one said they took a risk, they simply did something stupid.
2. He does not have many of the same flaws though, he's a much better shooter than tristan and has the size to play his position.
3. Were in a lockout, waiting 1 year is an irreverent point. Even if we weren't Jonas is still the better prospect the cavs aren't playing for the championship why do they care about 1 year. PLUS they had TWO first round picks, all the more reason to take Jonas.
laugh.gif

4. The cavs aren't 3 years from making the playoffs?
roll.gif

Cleveland took no�real risk�.
at best he is a�Tyrus Thomas�who can be trusted playing 30-35 minutes cause he isnt a knuckle head. The only real issue with that is that it took Tyrus 4 years to become that guy who you look at like if I could only play him 30-35 minutes a game.
If I have to face the prospect of�taking a guy whom I will have to wait a�year to get + has many of the same development flaws/ tasks Every else being equal I take the guy�who will be in�North America. But that aint the case is it.
The�facts are that Thompson is a better sell.
��
And how many years do you think Cleveland is from the playoffs? Because I say at least 3 for them too. They will still be awful next season... they'll make some strides by season 2... and maybe�in 3 seasons, depending on what happens in the East, do they break through and nab the 8th seed.�
Thompson might�have been the safer pick, but not by much. When you say his best case scenario is a starting Tyrus Thomas... I'm not thrilled at taking him #4 overall. And if they drafted Jonas, sure, that might be a difficult sell for the worst team in the league not to have a top pick playing this season, but we're in a lockout and everyone expects to miss games... what's there to really sell? �Cavs fans shouldn't expect playoffs next year, and Tristan Thompson isn't putting fans in the seats by any means.
I personally�think he is closer to�a 7ft Varejao�than a Noah. His mobility is no where close to Noah's�Thompson has more offensive upside too. Its real easy to be efficent with no low post touches.
Barnes
Kanter if he played
Irving
Thompson
Vesely
Bayless
Derozan
�Amir Johnson
Bargs
Im just worried about getting a no reprucussions no salary cap implications�cut of Carlos Boozer.
He didn't get many low post touches because he played on a senior mens team in the euro league, anybody who know anything about the euro league is that young players have to pay there dues, the culture there is that they have to role players before they can be focal points on the team. He wasn't even allowed to take any jumpers even tough he has a very good one.

but in u19 championships, he's back to playing with his back to the basket and getting low post touches.

7ft Varjoa.
roll.gif
laugh.gif

I love Tristan Thompson, been watching him since high school, saw every game at texas, but I'm sorry if� you think he's a better prospect you need to find Jesus, Jonas, he's won the MVP in the u16, u18 and 19 world championships, this is unprecedented. 

BTW Tristan Thompson averaged 8 PPG and 5 RPG in the u19 tournament he played in.
grin.gif

Cleveland took no�real risk�.
at best he is a�Tyrus Thomas�who can be trusted playing 30-35 minutes cause he isnt a knuckle head. The only real issue with that is that it took Tyrus 4 years to become that guy who you look at like if I could only play him 30-35 minutes a game.
If I have to face the prospect of�taking a guy whom I will have to wait a�year to get + has many of the same development flaws/ tasks Every else being equal I take the guy�who will be in�North America. But that aint the case is it.
The�facts are that Thompson is a better sell.
��
And how many years do you think Cleveland is from the playoffs? Because I say at least 3 for them too. They will still be awful next season... they'll make some strides by season 2... and maybe�in 3 seasons, depending on what happens in the East, do they break through and nab the 8th seed.�
Thompson might�have been the safer pick, but not by much. When you say his best case scenario is a starting Tyrus Thomas... I'm not thrilled at taking him #4 overall. And if they drafted Jonas, sure, that might be a difficult sell for the worst team in the league not to have a top pick playing this season, but we're in a lockout and everyone expects to miss games... what's there to really sell? �Cavs fans shouldn't expect playoffs next year, and Tristan Thompson isn't putting fans in the seats by any means.
I personally�think he is closer to�a 7ft Varejao�than a Noah. His mobility is no where close to Noah's�Thompson has more offensive upside too. Its real easy to be efficent with no low post touches.
Barnes
Kanter if he played
Irving
Thompson
Vesely
Bayless
Derozan
�Amir Johnson
Bargs
Im just worried about getting a no reprucussions no salary cap implications�cut of Carlos Boozer.
He didn't get many low post touches because he played on a senior mens team in the euro league, anybody who know anything about the euro league is that young players have to pay there dues, the culture there is that they have to role players before they can be focal points on the team. He wasn't even allowed to take any jumpers even tough he has a very good one.

but in u19 championships, he's back to playing with his back to the basket and getting low post touches.

7ft Varjoa.
roll.gif
laugh.gif

I love Tristan Thompson, been watching him since high school, saw every game at texas, but I'm sorry if� you think he's a better prospect you need to find Jesus, Jonas, he's won the MVP in the u16, u18 and 19 world championships, this is unprecedented. 

BTW Tristan Thompson averaged 8 PPG and 5 RPG in the u19 tournament he played in.
grin.gif

laugh.gif
 @ you need to find Jesus, Jonas,

Yea, Cleveland $!+%%% up. At worst, the guy will be a very good defensive center. I see a lot more than that. He looks a lot more comfortable around the basket at 19 than a lot of other NBA centers. Nice touch and didn't he shoot like 90% from the line? Pairing him up with Irving would've been the best thing for the Cavs.

laugh.gif
 @ you need to find Jesus, Jonas,

Yea, Cleveland $!+%%% up. At worst, the guy will be a very good defensive center. I see a lot more than that. He looks a lot more comfortable around the basket at 19 than a lot of other NBA centers. Nice touch and didn't he shoot like 90% from the line? Pairing him up with Irving would've been the best thing for the Cavs.

Valanciunas finished the U19 tourney with 23 and 14 averages per and the MVP.

30t6p3b.gif
at the college coaches denying the good players from playing for USA.

Back
Top Bottom