Official NBA 2k13 Thread

[h1]NBA 2K13 preview - Stepping into the arena[/h1][h2]Visual Concepts shows off the depth of 2K13's career mode[/h2]
Where can you go after bringing His Airness back? Where can you go after legends like Magic Johnson are revived on-court with contemporary gameplay flourishes? The NBA 2K series has dominated the court for several years. With NBA 2K13, some big changes are afoot. We got first hands-on a few weeks ago, but were told that the team wasn't ready to talk about career mode. Now they are.
[h2](Fake) Money in the Bank[/h2]
At the root of NBA 2K13 is the Virtual Currency, or VC, system. It's not explicitly named as experience points, but it has the same functionality. It turns nearly every element of 2K13 into a metagame, from the time you spend in online games to single-player seasons. You can use it for character customization, or for other elements.
[h2]Welcome to My Career[/h2]
My Player mode has been a staple of NBA 2K for several years. And while the team has tweaked and modulated different elements over its numerous annual updates--your created player's life off the court, for example--the new My Career lets your customize your player on three tiers. You can use earned VC to buy different items, from the latest shoes to wear for street ball games to suits for your press conferences. All of your tweaks will show up in cutscenes throughout the game.

147612bf5e296b205839ff28524f99c9e8bb87db.png__620x348_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Customization doesn't just extend to what clothes you put on your virtual athlete's back. There are a variety of custom animations, from how he enters the arena to how he celebrates after an especially standout scoring moment. Those unique moves also extend to real-life player's trademark traits, such as LeBron James' chalk toss-up. Plus, the new Signature Skills moves (which were unveiled during our prior hands-on) extend into your player. The triple-tiered perk system ranges from having a sharper eye for three-pointers all the way up to a player/coach role that lets you completely dictate the play of the team based on your whims.

There's also an incorporation of Twitter-like social media elements (without the Twitter branding) that offer feedback on your performance from fans, celebrities (Pauly D, among others, will fist pump his support for you), and real-life sports journalists, like Zach Harper. Your popularity among fans and in regard to team chemistry holds a great deal of weight throughout your career.

Popularity has a strong influence on your ability to sway the locker room. We got a glimpse at the Meet with GM minigame, and according to your fanbase and team chemistry, you can have more clout when it comes to demanding coaching changes or getting good teammates more playtime. And if you're having problems enhancing your popularity and pull, you can always cash in some VC points to buy yourself social media boosters.
[h2]His Name Is Hov...[/h2]
Career mode isn't the only overhaul in NBA 2K13. 2K Sports has heavily promoted Jay-Z's involvement as executive producer of the game. It's immediately evident from the presentation that his thumbprints are all over this title. The flashing lights and marquees in the main menu throb and pulsate in sync with the soundtrack. When you start a Quick Game, you'll sometimes be treated to a highlight reel of the team's last encounter, interspersed with footage from Jay-Z videos (we saw footage of Lakers vs. Heat spliced with "Onto the Next One"), not unlike the drama you see before televised big NBA showdowns. It won't happen every time you play (nor is the soundtrack solely his discography), but it adds an authentic-feeling touch to the ambience.

943494034e51beb7059ee6921ac9bb4e08c7d4f3.png__620x348_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

[h2]A Mean Shoe Game[/h2]
Speaking of authenticity, NBA 2K13 touts a fan-requested create-a-shoe feature. Gameplay producer Rob Jones walked us through the plethora of options, from brands (Nike, Adidas, Converse, Under Armour, Spalding) to types (from low-tops to retro hi-tops) and the number of possible layers (up to eight). You can shift the layering, not unlike working in Photoshop, to create different styles, and ultimately upload them to the official game's site. Plus, if you use 2K13's Nike ID integration, you can create a shoe in-game, send the blueprint to the Nike ID website, and order real-life shoes that both you and your custom avatar can wear.
[h2] [/h2][h2]Get Acquainted with Association[/h2]
Finally, this year's Association Mode will have some new wrinkles. It's updated with the same real-world contract refinements that came out of last year's post-lockout collective bargaining agreement. There's also a new feature called Total Sim Control that gives you far more sway over the games you choose to simulate over the course of a long season. Want Steve Nash to shoot more than Kobe? Want to ensure that your team plays the defense they would if you were playing a full game yourself? Now you can program those choices into the process. And, arguably the biggest addition? If you're not picking the game up on launch day, you can download all of the real-world statistics and injury data up to the day you start playing.

Overall, between the depth of My Career, its level of customization, and the Jay-Z-curated presentation, there's plenty to be excited about with NBA 2K13. Plus, that's all on top of the revamped dribbling and shooting mechanics that the Visual Concepts team has unveiled. It'd be bold to set your expectations somewhere around "Lakers Fan," but there's a great deal to be excited about from this year's installment.
Link

Career mode isn't the only overhaul in NBA 2K13. 2K Sports has heavily promoted Jay-Z's involvement as executive producer of the game. It's immediately evident from the presentation that his thumbprints are all over this title. The flashing lights and marquees in the main menu throb and pulsate in sync with the soundtrack. When you start a Quick Game, you'll sometimes be treated to a highlight reel of the team's last encounter, interspersed with footage from Jay-Z videos (we saw footage of Lakers vs. Heat spliced with "Onto the Next One"), not unlike the drama you see before televised big NBA showdowns. It won't happen every time you play (nor is the soundtrack solely his discography), but it adds an authentic-feeling touch to the ambience.

I aint mad at that. I used to like the highlight reels on ,IIRC, Live 98.

But, yea, I think 2K is letting the BS fly because they know they have no competition.

Plus, if you use 2K13's Nike ID integration, you can create a shoe in-game, send the blueprint to the Nike ID website, and order real-life shoes that both you and your custom avatar can wear.
nerd.gif
nthat.gif

Chris Manning ‏@LD2k

#NBA2K13 OA info From one of the Dev's: "You can open up the entire schedule for full flex scheduling this year in OA."

Lots of bells and whistles by 2K this year, but this right here sold me...I love playing OA, especially with my NT fam, but that **** last year was broken and confusing.

even with the lame stuff thrown (unneeded sig moves & that pregame handstand bs) they are making it better & adding lil kinks :pimp: cant wait for the demo

[h1]NBA 2K13[/h1][h2]Breaking Down NBA 2K13’s Game Modes[/h2]
Preview

by Matt Bertz on September 07, 2012 at 10:34 AM

star-left-on.png
star-right-on.png
star-left-on.png
star-right-on.png
star-left-on.png
star-right-on.png
star-left-on.png
star-right-on.png
star-left-on.png
star-right-on.png

nba-xenon-0032.jpg

Developer Visual Concepts has already revealed the changes it’s making to gameplay for NBA 2K13 and the inclusion of Dream Team. Now it’s time to dig deeper and learn what improvements the developer is touting for the various game modes.

My Player
  • In previous years, My Player was the name of the single-player career mode where you created a rookie player and tried to turn him into an NBA all-star. This year, My Player refers specifically to the player creation and customization.
  • No matter what game mode you play in NBA 2K13, you earn Virtual Currency that allows you to purchase new apparel and skills for your created player. 
  • This year the apparel extends beyond what you wear on the court for practice or on the blacktop. If you want to dress up for press conferences, you can save up for suits or luxury clothes. The team shop has real-life hats, shorts, t-shirts, and jerseys for you to choose from, and Visual Concepts plans to add more apparel as the season moves on. Some of the clothing items simply offer cosmetic changes, but others may give you stat boosts to make you a better player. The goal is to allow people to individualize their characters to the point that another person sees your character and asks, “Where did you get that?” Finally, you can look as ridiculous as Russell Westbrook!
  • Players can also use Virtual Currency, or VC, to purchase new skills. The specific packages available are smaller this year so you can evolve your skills more quickly throughout your career instead of saving up to buy one huge package. You can also purchase signature skills. Between individual drills and VC, you will have more currency than ever before to customize the way your players acts on the court.
  • This year, you can even buy pre-game rituals, like Kevin Garnett’s chalk routine. Some are individual rituals, while others will involve your teammates as well.
GM%20sitdown.jpg

My Career
  • My Career takes the place of My Player as the destination single-player mode. 
  • Visual Concepts wants to keep players completely immersed in their careers. To do so, they plan to give you consistent feedback about what you are doing and how you are doing during your career.
  • One of the major ways the mode interacts with the player is with a virtual Twitter account. As you progress through your career and become a more integral part of your team and the league, you will earn new Twitter followers. These followers interact with you to congratulate you on big games and give you a hard time after a rough outing. As you get more famous, opposing players may trash talk you, celebrities may name-drop you, and NBA legends may offer advice on how to reach the pinnacle of the sport. 
  • All of the things you say and do during press conferences or in relation to team loyalty feed back into the dynamic commentary system. If you’re acting selfishly or being a bigger man by squelching a perceived controversy, Kevin Harlan, Clark Kellogg, and Steve Kerr will discuss your off-court behavior during the game. 
  • Last year the teammate AI never understood what kind of player you were, whether it be a spot shooter or a post player. In the lead-up to NBA 2K13, an engineer spent two months developing a new recording system so the AI better recognizes your tendencies. If you post up a lot this year, your teammates start to funnel plays your direction. If you’re lingering along the perimeter waiting for a chance to showcase your long distance sniping skills, they know to kick the ball out to you if you have an open look. 
  • No doubt taking inspiration from the Dwight Howard trade drama from the offseason, this year your player can be invited to sit down with the general manager to have conversations about the direction of the franchise. Once you attain superstar status, you can start influencing his decisions, whether that be the fate of your head coach, the types of players he pursues in free agency, the players you would prefer to have on the court with you, or your position at the club. If you attain LeBron James status you can even force a trade to another team. 
  • Visual Concepts reworked the AI management logic so it no longer starts trading away your best teammates once you crack the starting lineup. 
  • The development team also spent a lot of time tweaking the teammate rating balancing so players aren’t punished too excessively for minor mistakes a coach wouldn’t necessarily call out. Hopefully this takes into account when you hold a great player under his scoring average instead of knocking your grade for letting an all-star like Derrick Rose score a couple of baskets.
  • A new coach feedback system informs you about what you’re doing well and what you need to work on. You also need to listen to your coach. If you take a 90-foot jump shot, he’ll tell you to stop being stupid. Try it again, and you may find yourself riding the pine. 
  • As your career progresses, you have the opportunity to pursue branching endorsements. If you start with Jordan, you can eventually jump ship for Nike. If you achieve a certain level of fame, you make even be asked to create your own Nike shoe. Design guru Tinker Hatfield will give you tips on combining materials and technologies as you construct the ultimate shoe in the Nike Innovation Kitchen. 
MyPlayerHomeScreen.jpg

Association Mode
  • Due to fan requests for the feature, this year you can jump right into a season with all of the current stats, player abilities, and injuries regardless of the calendar date. You could even start a new Association right before the playoffs are about to start.
  • Last year, when you chose to sim, the game would start simulating without any direction from you on how you wanted your team to play. This year you can dictate how you want the simulation to run, including tweaking your offensive strategy, whether or not your team crashes the boards heavily, etc.
  • Now that the dust has settled from the lockout, Visual Concepts has made sure all of the rules from the new collective bargaining agreement are in the game. With the new CBA rules in place, Visual Concepts has revamped the team-building and trading logic. 
  • If you buy the All-Star Weekend DLC, it will integrate itself directly into My Career and Association modes. This DLC is free for those who pre-order the game. 
  • Admins in online Association leagues can reset games, and even change the outcome of games. This includes setting the final score and who scored what if for some reason a game froze toward the end of the fourth quarter and the players didn’t want to replay the entire game.
  • For the first time in online Association, you can manipulate sliders to fit your league’s preferred style of play.
Link

I like the ball handling and passing.
Players yelling after that missed oop was :lol:
A lot of cool player chatter.
Bout to preorder right now.

only thing i was looking for in that video. was the presence of defense, and its there 
pimp.gif

thats the one thing i hated the MOST out of 2k12, it was impossible to play on ball defense smh. And im glad to see none of that b.s. dribbling off your team mates leg ****.

so if i preorder, will the game i receive have the all star package in it, or will we still have to dl it?

so if i preorder, will the game i receive have the all star package in it, or will we still have to dl it?

Pre-order Bonus Offer Through Amazon
Pre-order NBA 2K13 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and get access to NBA All Star Game content including the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest, Three Point Contest, Rising Stars Challenge Game, and the NBA All Star Game. A code to access the content will be emailed to you within two days of your order shipment. This offer will be extended to all pre-orders. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Please read the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live terms of use.

One thing that irks me is the quick catch and shoot, in the case of the video. Dwight hitting that jump shot.

Cannot wait for this though

Last edited:
yea best buy is offering the same pre-order set up. I think I'm gonna pre-order the dynasty one.

Pre ordered the pc version from amazon. Had a credit so it turned out to be $12 :pimp:

I didn't realize they moved the dribble controls to the right stick and changed the physics. Those have always been my biggest problem with 2k. Also saw the mods you can add to the pc version :wow:

Back
Top Bottom