Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter is abuzz with talks of a "coaching trade" between Denver and Memphis. Where is BHZ?

:lol: @ Big J still tryna talk some sense into ACB.

It would be a Clippers type of move to pick up George Karl. :lol:

Lebron has a chance to join Russell and MJ as the only players to win back to back regular season MVP's and championships. That's some great company. :pimp:

I know he's either trolling or just a lost cause, so there's no use there :lol: but others might believe the same or think his nonsense is actually true.

"Don't let that stat fool you"..... here's a stat I just made up :rofl:

Last edited:
Can someone please post a bunch of facts oh why George Karl isn't that great.

I don't think he's that great of a coach

He refused to put Payton on Jordan until Gary told him he was guarding MJ regardless and that game, thanks to the Glove, the Sonics won.

Can someone please post a bunch of facts oh why George Karl isn't that great.

I don't think he's that great of a coach

You rang?

What would you like to know?

You want his .599 regular season winning percentage vs his .432 playoff percentage?

Or that he's been out in round 1 8 of the last 9 years.

Or how he's lost as a 1 seed (with HC obviously) a 3 seed, 4 seed, 5 seed, 7 seed, 8 seed, pick a seed, if he didn't make the playoffs, he'd still be out in round 1.

His 4 BEST playoff runs read like this, 10-6, 13-8, 10-8, and 10-9. Barely over .500 in even his best runs as a head coach, in almost 3 full decades.

80-105 in the postseason, having coached Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Ray Allen, Carmelo, + tons of other solid vets like Detlef, Nate McMillan, Ty Lawson, Billups, Iverson, etc etc.

Not multiple title worthy players, but certainly decent enough to make it to round 2 once in a while. Not once in a decade like he's been pacing himself.

Do you need more?

That Bucks team with Sam Cassell and Glen Robinson was fun to watch.

Props to that NBAondemand link posted on the last page.

Last edited:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 35m
One source close to process says "trade" between Denver and Memphis is now conceivable where Karl takes over Grizz and Hollins joins Nuggets

Hollins isn't the best choice but he would bring toughness.

Last edited:
:smh:

Funny thing is some of these Memphis fans don't even know why I don't like Karl as our coach. They just looking at how many wins he's had :lol: . This dude has lost in the 1st round like 8 out of the last 10 years and missed the playoffs in one of those seasons.

I would not drop Lionel in favor of Karl.

And Hollins does play uptempo, he just could not because we had the heaviest PF/C combo in the league :lol: . He's preached about pushing the ball, but it never really worked out. That's why he was in favor of moving ZBo over Rudy.

Last edited:

The grizz are crazy, Hollins is a dang good coach and Karl's record speaks for itself. Karl is not the guy to push you over the top and get a chip.

You want to win regular season games but not playoff games; get Karl

I'll never understand the revolving door culture in the NBA.

The Definition of Insanity: Why It's Time to Move Away From Retread NBA Head Coaches

This trend raises a couple of questions: (1) Does hiring a coach with prior NBA head coaching experience result in an appreciable improvement from the prior regime? And, (2) Does it make an appreciable difference when compared with the hiring of a first-time head coach?

The answer to the first question is a pretty resounding “no.” The 90 retread coaches hired since 1996 took over teams with a collective winning percentage of .495 under the previous coaching regime. How much did those coaches who “know how to succeed in the NBA” improve those teams? Well … they didn’t. The winning percentage stayed at .495. If we teased the decimal points all the way out, we’d see that the cumulative winning percentage of teams that have hired retread head coaches since 1996 is actually worse than the cumulative winning percentage of those same teams under the previous regime.

NBA Head Coaching Hires Since 1996

Retread First-Timer Average
Win % at Takeover 0.419 0.418 0.418
Win % First Year 0.441 0.416 0.431
Win % Tenure 0.495 0.517 0.504
The conclusion about our second central question — whether hiring an experienced head coach means more success than hiring a first-timer — is similar. The average team changing coaches since 1996 had a winning percentage of .418 at the time of the coaching change (whether that be the last full season, or the current record for an in-season firing). While hiring a retread coach resulted in a more immediate bump in winning percentage, the numbers show that those coaches did not show as much sustained improvement over the course of their tenure as the first-time coaches did. First-time coaches improved their winning percentage nearly twice as much (.101 to .054) over the course of their time as head coach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom