Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate comments like "Who's going to guard Lebron James".

News Flash = He hasn't been able to be guarded since he was 18

That's beside the point. Everyone knows Lebron is going to eat. It's about if the other guys show up or not.

Hard to argue with CP when he's so clearly being objective.

02-03-Phil loses 4 out of 6 to Pop. Gets eliminated at home.
03-04. HC, Loses 4 out of 5 to Larry Brown. Basically got swept but kobe hit a kobe shot to win game 2.
05-06 Up 3-1 to an overrated Steve Nash (right?) and Mike D'Antoni. Phil proceeds to let his team lose the final 3 games including a 31-point debacle in game 7.
06-07 Against those same Steve Nash/D'Antoni-led Suns. Loses 4 out of 5. You never missed a moment to tell us how overrated Nash was by the way.
07-08 Loses to 4-2 to Doc Rivers. Lost game six by 39 points.
10-11 Gets swept by the Great Rick Carlisle including a 36 point loss in Game 4.

Not to mention He beat probably the worst team to ever represent the Eastern Conference in the Dwight-led Magic.
Beat the Celtics without Perkins.

It's easy to pick apart a coach's resume. Both coaches are great.

Fair points. So I can use my newfound Pop defenses right?

02-03, loses to Pop, without HC, and coming off 3 straight Finals runs, extra 60ish playoff games, had beaten the Spurs 8 times in 9 playoff games the two years prior. Out of gas. And Spurs, won the title
Lost to the Pistons, with HC, Pistons win the title. Karl Malone with the Manu excuse injury.
05-06, somehow got UP 3-1 with Smush, Kwame, and Luke, and up 3 in game 6 on the last possession, a miss, one rebound wins the series, annnnnnnnnd they don't get it. Sucks for us. Phil was a 7 seed this series, yes?
06-07, worst series for us in sometime. 7 seed, never had a chance. The Triangle took on new meaning. KwameSmushLuke could be one name.
08, lost to the champs, no HC, no Bynum, no Ariza, that's 40% of the starting lineup. I guess you're ok with that. Any team would win without HC with 2 starters missing, I feel ya.
2011, 3 Straight Finals runs, Kobe on fumes (Manu excuse) we did have HC tho, plus those extra 60+ playoff games in 3 years, Dallas had what, 10-15 playoff games the past 2 seasons? Oh and Mavs won the title. So, 4 of these 6 years, we lost to the champs of the league. Maybe Phil is overrated eh?

So does all this absolve our losses now like it does the Spurs? Works for them, can it work in our favor too? Or it's only excuses when Laker fans mention it? :nerd:

naw news to me what were they doing ? i will always go with that they made the wrong selection with serge over james, its way more easier to find somebody that provides what ibaka does than harden ( kenyon, bird man,) also it makes me sick that dudes literally stole a team but dont want to pay now to keep them in title contention. harden,westbrook,durant was a deadly combo through in some big men and a vet every other year and your good for the next 5.
what does any of this have to do with what was going on with the 80s rockets?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-olajuwon-ralph-sampson-1980s-houston-rockets

and harden was offered 4 years 52-55 mill (cant remember the exact final offer), i personally would have preferred to amnesty perkins (who is making around 8 mill per) to make up whatever else we would have needed to keep harden INSTEAD of whatever you are suggesting above in relation to ibaka..

but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Last edited:
I don't understand the 86 Rockets, to 94 Rockets comparison either. Did they trade away some star in between or something?

I read it on here, but didn't see the actual quote from Simmons. But I know he adores that 86 Rockets team because it helps him hype his case that the 86 Celtics are the best team of all time. (From his book)

02-03, loses to Pop, without HC, and coming off 3 straight Finals runs, extra 60ish playoff games, had beaten the Spurs 8 times in 9 playoff games the two years prior. Out of gas. And Spurs, won the title
Lost to the Pistons, with HC, Pistons win the title. Karl Malone with the Manu excuse injury.
05-06, somehow got UP 3-1 with Smush, Kwame, and Luke, and up 3 in game 6 on the last possession, a miss, one rebound wins the series, annnnnnnnnd they don't get it. Sucks for us. Phil was a 7 seed this series, yes?
06-07, worst series for us in sometime. 7 seed, never had a chance. The Triangle took on new meaning. KwameSmushLuke could be one name.
08, lost to the champs, no HC, no Bynum, no Ariza, that's 40% of the starting lineup. I guess you're ok with that. Any team would win without HC with 2 starters missing, I feel ya.
2011, 3 Straight Finals runs, Kobe on fumes (Manu excuse) we did have HC tho, plus those extra 60+ playoff games in 3 years, Dallas had what, 10-15 playoff games the past 2 seasons? Oh and Mavs won the title. So, 4 of these 6 years, we lost to the champs of the league. Maybe Phil is overrated eh?

So does all this absolve our losses now like it does the Spurs? Works for them, can it work in our favor too? Or it's only excuses when Laker fans mention it? :nerd:

None of those things make Phil less of a coach. Just like none of the things you posted make Pop less of a coach. Either they're both overrated media darlings who get a pass or they're both really good at their jobs and have happened to lose some series they "should" have won.

You seem to want to criticize Pop for things that you give Phil a pass for. If anyone is giving a coach a pass it's you.

I don't know Why People Continue to think that The Heat will have an easier Time against the Spurs than the Pacers... The Pacers showed that good defense, Good rebounding, and smart play could slow them down... this is what the Spurs Excel in. they also have one of the Best decision making PG's in the League and one who is SUPERB at finishing around the basket against A TEAM THAT HAS one RIM DEFENDER.

Add in that the heat will have two games at home to start then three straight in S.A..... Imo they drop one in MIA this series is done in 6 for the Spurs.
Not underestimating the spurs at all, but Lebron is too much for the spurs.. If Bosh decides to show up, and Battier/Ray shoots it well from beyond the arc, then it really will be a lopsided series...I just don't see anyone stopping LBJ from the spurs, and no Kawhi ain't touching him :lol:

Lebron been the best player on the floor under any circumstance for awhile now, it's not breaking news at this point, but if he has to expend near as much energy as he was in that Pacers series there's no way they will win.

Spurs have been battle tested in every which way this postseason. An yes SA looked terrible against youth X speed last year in games 3-6 against the Thunder but that was more so attributed to the fact that OKC had THE first & second best players as well as the fourth best in Harden on the floor at the sametime last year, not the case this series. The flip flopping that will transpire in this thread after these first two games in MIA will be pure :lol:

Last edited:
Idk if I want to say we will have an EASIER time against thr Spurs, but I do think we match up a little better with them.

None of those things make Phil less of a coach. Just like none of the things you posted make Pop less of a coach. Either they're both overrated media darlings who get a pass or they're both really good at their jobs and have happened to lose some series they "should" have won.

You seem to want to criticize Pop for things that you give Phil a pass for. If anyone is giving a coach a pass it's you.

Welp. This should end that discussion.

naw news to me what were they doing ? i will always go with that they made the wrong selection with serge over james, its way more easier to find somebody that provides what ibaka does than harden ( kenyon, bird man,) also it makes me sick that dudes literally stole a team but dont want to pay now to keep them in title contention. harden,westbrook,durant was a deadly combo through in some big men and a vet every other year and your good for the next 5.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-olajuwon-ralph-sampson-1980s-houston-rockets

and harden was offered 4 years 52-55 mill (cant remember the exact final offer), i personally would have preferred to amnesty perkins (who is making around 8 mill per) to make up whatever else we would have needed to keep harden INSTEAD of whatever you are suggesting above in relation to ibaka..

THIS!!!!!

Perkins gives you NOTHING. He can easily be replaced a veteran big man looking for the minimum. Amnesty Perkins and you re-sign Harden and get a vet. minimum center.

Russ/Harden/KD/Ibaka/Any bum or even Collison>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Russ/Thabo/KD/Ibaka/Bum named Perkins

Welp. This should end that discussion.

Why?

Because Phil lost series's back to back to back years to Gentry, Hollins and Brooks?

Or that Phil has 2 playoff losses to teams that didn't reach the NBA Finals?

Or that he was 1-2 plays away from the conference finals the very year that Michael Jordan retired? (sort of difficult to replace that guy, one would think)

But somehow they are the SAME? These are all the same things?

I almost wish Phil would come back and lose to those head coaches so I could see the reaction to that and watch how people pick that **** apart. But I"M the one giving passes to guys. :lol:

I'm curious to see how this plays out these next 2 weeks. If Pop loses, it'll be because of LeBron, if he wins, watch the unbelievable hype train load up. It'll go full bore overdrive.

The way I see it is Lebron Isn't going to be Stopped... however Kawhi Can and will make him work for baskets that's all you can ask.

Wade is CLEARLY not able to attack the basket the way he's use too and that makes a HUGE difference when defending the heat, considering you don't have as many free throws and it makes it easier to spot Lebron and all of their shooters on the floor.

I'm not a big advocate of Bosh but i refuse to believe he will continue to play that bad, however he is still going to get ate alive by Duncan in the post..

And IMO the impact tony Parker will have is going to be just as big as an advantage as Lebron has over the spurs, chalmers and Cole can make Tony work for his baskets but i highly doubt they can stop him from getting in the lane, which means you have to bring help, and by doing that your leaving one of the countless three point shooters they have on the perimeter open.

MIA was able to put pressure on the ballhandlers and get them to turn over the rock veterans like Parker & ginobli have seen that kind of pressure before and will make the right plays and limit TO's so that also puts a huge damper on a big part of the Heats Offense (Fastbreak points)

Their in no way to stop Lebron but there is a way to stop an injured D-Wade, and really slumping Bosh..... Lebron has proven that its just not in him to be a selfish player and in this finals i think thats going to be the difference btwn him winning and losing.... He's going to have to force his way.

The way I see it is Lebron Isn't going to be Stopped... however Kawhi Can and will make him work for baskets that's all you can ask.

Wade is CLEARLY not able to attack the basket the way he's use too and that makes a HUGE difference when defending the heat, considering you don't have as many free throws and it makes it easier to spot Lebron and all of their shooters on the floor.

I'm not a big advocate of Bosh but i refuse to believe he will continue to play that bad, however he is still going to get ate alive by Duncan in the post..

And IMO the impact tony Parker will have is going to be just as big as an advantage as Lebron has over the spurs, chalmers and Cole can make Tony work for his baskets but i highly doubt they can stop him from getting in the lane, which means you have to bring help, and by doing that your leaving one of the countless three point shooters they have on the perimeter open.

MIA was able to put pressure on the ballhandlers and get them to turn over the rock veterans like Parker & ginobli have seen that kind of pressure before and will make the right plays and limit TO's so that also puts a huge damper on a big part of the Heats Offense (Fastbreak points)

Their in no way to stop Lebron but there is a way to stop an injured D-Wade, and really slumping Bosh..... Lebron has proven that its just not in him to be a selfish player and in this finals i think thats going to be the difference btwn him winning and losing.... He's going to have to force his way.

THIS IS THE SERIES IN A NUTSHELL

Agreed. I speak for me and me only. No other Laker fans need catch any grief over anything I say.

Surprised nobody made a post about Karl Malone leaving Jordan off his top five list originally...

He went back and got it right. 

But how was he left off? 

I know...Karl let it go man. 

It's been what...15 years now?

i agree with amney perk there no use for him anymore but i still say you could of  replaced ibaka production with  cheaper players. That trading a dollar for 4 quaters never works out.

Surprised nobody made a post about Karl Malone leaving Jordan off his top five list originally...

He went back and got it right. 

But how was he left off? 

I know...Karl let it go man. 

It's been what...15 years now?
I would love to hear byron russells top 5

Too late to amnesty Perkins now. If you do it now, we're still over the cap and can only use trades and the MLE to sign players so nothing is gained from it other than getting him off the team so Brooks dumbass won't play him all the Got damned time and to further embarass/punish him for putting up the worst postseason in NBA history and having the nerve to throw rocks at Shaq's throne. And then there's the "cheap owners" factor too and the fact he is owed 18,600,000 over the next 2 seasons, and whoever picks him up off amnestly likely won't offer more than 2mil a season, leaving us to cover ~14,000,000 to play somewhere else and still have to pay a replacement or move Ibaka to 5. I agree, should have been amnestied that bum. It's also why I want us to offer Derek Fisher some type of assistant coaching job, only way to ensure Presti won't sign him again come next March (granted he played well this postseason). Bet you we sign a Grant Hill or Jason Kidd or other old *** vet though.

Time to stop worshipping Presti as some GM God. He got a bunch of homeruns in a row, but has been striking out heavy lately with the James Harden trade (for 1yr of Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, and a bunch of picks in a draft nobody likes), the Perkins signing coming off ACL surgery without seeing him play a game first, and his pretentious *** press conferences where he uses "big words" and acts like his smarter than everyone else **** don't stink which he would never get away with in a big media city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom