Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man that pissed me off :lol:
Conley played good defense for 20 seconds and Paul hit him with the spin :x . This is why I hate playing close games in the 4th against the Clippers because he rarely makes a mistake in the last 5 minutes.

True. This game really could have been game 8 of the playoff series last year. It played out like most of the Clipper wins in that series. Super close until the last few minutes, then CP takes over. Nice that we now have Crawford too, as he likes those moments too. Not nearly as efficient when the game is on the line as CP, but I'm totally ok with him taking big shots. That 3 Crawford hit from the corner in the 4th was pretty much the dagger that put the game away for the Clips.

But the Grizz are damn tough. They don't make anything easy.

They're not gonna play this bad all season man, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. I'm all for cracking jokes on the Lakers but let's at least be realistic.

That's true. And I still expect them to be a contender, but I think the preseason and the first two games do show that the team still has some flaws and is not going to be nearly as invincible as a lot of people were projecting right after the Howard trade went down. Barring significant injury, they're still going to be in the mix to win it all, but I really hope people stop talking about them catching the Bulls win record, etc.

DC - what do you think a fair deal would have been for Harden? Also, if a guy like Manu (who I compare Harden to) demanded or received a max deal, would you think it was fair?

Jesus - are you suggesting that people are prisoners of the moment in regards to him dropping 30+ last night?

I hope Dwight is a ways off from being 100%. He has no lift around the rim compared to what he usually is, not even close. Larry Johnson had back surgery at 25 and never got it back.

this seemed pretty evident with his first shot for the lakers being a missed dunk. he looked like he struggled jumping in traffic which is very unlike him. IMO, they should bench him and let him heal up and then bring him back later in the season. with kobe nash and pau healthy the lakers can still accidentally win 50 games. they just need to be healthy going into the playoffs. risking dwights health makes no sense right now

Truth, a healthy Jordan Hill can definitely keep them afloat until Dwight comes back

You don't know how hard this made me laugh

DC - what do you think a fair deal would have been for Harden? Also, if a guy like Manu (who I compare Harden to) demanded or received a max deal, would you think it was fair?
Jesus - are you suggesting that people are prisoners of the moment in regards to him dropping 30+ last night?

No, my comment regarding prisoners of the moment was more in general. Referring to the 0-2 start for the Lakers really.

If folks didn't know James Harden was a baller straight up and down after last season, then I don't know what to say. Folks can debate is worth and if he deserved his max contract all day until they are blue in the face. You are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Houston had no problems dropping money on him. If Harden came out and played terrible last night, folks would be saying he is overrated and didn't deserve the money.....blah blah.

Computers need to have an emotional filter that rationalizes user's thoughts/comments.

It wasn't directed at me, but someone mentioned a package of Klay+Brandon Rush. I actually like that a lot. Klay is a fantastic shooter who has potential to put up a lot of points in bunches, while Rush is an excellent role player similar to Thabo but has good shooting skills. Klay+Rush I don't think is enough, still would need one piece, but here's where I get really imaginative.... :lol:

Klay+Rush+Lee for Harden+Perkins.

OKC gets their low-post threat and someone to replace Harden on the bench. Golden State gets a back-court partner next to Steph, along with a legitimate Center that should stay healthy.

No? :nerd:

I know you asked Jesus, but I am saying folks are prisoners of the moment for the Laker talk and the Harden talk.

For Harden, when was the deadline to make the extension? Yesterday right?

No, my comment regarding prisoners of the moment was more in general. Referring to the 0-2 start for the Lakers really.
If folks didn't know James Harden was a baller straight up and down after last season, then I don't know what to say. Folks can debate is worth and if he deserved his max contract all day until they are blue in the face. You are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Houston had no problems dropping money on him. If Harden came out and played terrible last night, folks would be saying he is overrated and didn't deserve the money.....blah blah.
Computers need to have an emotional filter that rationalizes user's thoughts/comments.

Ahhh...OK, understood.

It wasn't directed at me, but someone mentioned a package of Klay+Brandon Rush. I actually like that a lot. Klay is a fantastic shooter who has potential to put up a lot of points in bunches, while Rush is an excellent role player similar to Thabo but has good shooting skills. Klay+Rush I don't think is enough, still would need one piece, but here's where I get really imaginative.... :lol:
OKC gets their low-post threat and someone to replace Harden on the bench. Golden State gets a back-court partner next to Steph, along with a legitimate Center that should stay healthy.
No? :nerd:

Hmm...interesting proposal. How much do you think the picks and Kevin Martin's expiring deal weighed into the decision to trade w/ Houston?

I know you asked Jesus, but I am saying folks are prisoners of the moment for the Laker talk and the Harden talk.
For Harden, when was the deadline to make the extension? Yesterday right?

Yea, it was yesterday.

Also, Joe Johnson's first max deal was w/ the hawks, right? His #'s leading up to that deal are somewhat similar to Harden's. I'm not going to get into the 2nd max deal he signed w/ them, but in regards to the first, it was basically done because his potential/ceiling was so high.

I still don't understand the THunder's rationale in trying to play hardball w/ Harden. He should have been negotiated with first instead of Ibaka.

They're not gonna play this bad all season man, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. I'm all for cracking jokes on the Lakers but let's at least be realistic.
That's true. And I still expect them to be a contender, but I think the preseason and the first two games do show that the team still has some flaws and is not going to be nearly as invincible as a lot of people were projecting right after the Howard trade went down. Barring significant injury, they're still going to be in the mix to win it all, but I really hope people stop talking about them catching the Bulls win record, etc.
True. I didn't see any 72-10 stuff but if people were saying that then they're idiots.

Also I'll say this, the way the Heat started 2 years ago and the Lakers started this year makes the '07-'08 Celtics even more impressive to me. Those dudes started the season 29-3 with an average point differential in the double digits.

Last edited:
Ahhh...OK, understood.
Hmm...interesting proposal. How much do you think the picks and Kevin Martin's expiring deal weighed into the decision to trade w/ Houston?

I discount the Dallas pick, because unless Dallas implodes and doesn't make the Playoffs, the pick will probably be between 18-22. Those picks can be bought every single year of every single draft. I don't feel like that pick is too valuable.

The Toronto pick is a pick that could be valuable. This is the same franchise that traded Ray Allen for Jeff Green, and flipped him for Kendrick Perkins. OKC if anything has shown they are willing to take a risk.

Kevin Martin? I don't know man. He's a good scorer, he can get to the line, but I feel like there's a better player they could've gotten for cheaper. I say cheaper even though Kevin Martin is a UFA this year because if they do retain him, I don't think it will be cheap, especially if he does well for them this year. Then if he does stay, he's effectively replaced James Harden short-term, but at what cost? If they plan to cut ties with him after this year and he's just a stopgap, then the deal is pretty much Lamb+pick.

I feel like OKC were confident they could get a deal done with James Harden before the season started, they wanted that commitment because they were afraid of losing him in the summer because they had a pretty strict salary # they had in mind for him, now OR next summer. They realized pretty late that James Harden's representation and the Thunder didn't meet eye-to-eye, and they somewhat panicked into doing the first deal they could find. Houston was eying him for a while, and that's that.

I hope Dwight is a ways off from being 100%. He has no lift around the rim compared to what he usually is, not even close. Larry Johnson had back surgery at 25 and never got it back.

this seemed pretty evident with his first shot for the lakers being a missed dunk. he looked like he struggled jumping in traffic which is very unlike him. IMO, they should bench him and let him heal up and then bring him back later in the season. with kobe nash and pau healthy the lakers can still accidentally win 50 games. they just need to be healthy going into the playoffs. risking dwights health makes no sense right now

Truth, a healthy Jordan Hill can definitely keep them afloat until Dwight comes back

Why? He played limited minutes last year, but played VERY well. He averaged 13 points 10.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per 36 minutes, as well as being a solid defender. He obviously isnt Dwight Howard, but he is capable of filling in very effectively

I still don't understand the THunder's rationale in trying to play hardball w/ Harden. He should have been negotiated with first instead of Ibaka.

Absolutely agree 100%. I don't see why they extended Ibaka first. Ibaka is valuable to the Thunder, absolutely. But I don't think that anyone can underestimate the value of Harden. Harden is so much more of an impact player than Ibaka is. Ibaka had tons of blocks last year, and that's phenomenal, but he isn't the stopper that Dwight is when healthy.

The crazy thing is that both guys are still young and have lots to learn, but letting James Harden go, I don't know. I may be biased because I've had my *** handed to me by Harden two years now. He destroyed my team, and I just felt like his game would translate if he got his own chance.

We'll see tonight how they look, and we'll overreact after one game again.

Why? He played limited minutes last year, but played VERY well. He averaged 13 points 10.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per 36 minutes, as well as being a solid defender. He obviously isnt Dwight Howard, but he is capable of filling in very effectively

Mostly cause when expectations are put on him, he wilts like a flower

Last edited:
It wasn't directed at me, but someone mentioned a package of Klay+Brandon Rush. I actually like that a lot. Klay is a fantastic shooter who has potential to put up a lot of points in bunches, while Rush is an excellent role player similar to Thabo but has good shooting skills. Klay+Rush I don't think is enough, still would need one piece, but here's where I get really imaginative....
laugh.gif

No?
nerd.gif
i would want no part of lee's contract.. klay, rush and picks could work
I discount the Dallas pick, because unless Dallas implodes and doesn't make the Playoffs, the pick will probably be between 18-22. Those picks can be bought every single year of every single draft. I don't feel like that pick is too valuable.
The Toronto pick is a pick that could be valuable. This is the same franchise that traded Ray Allen for Jeff Green, and flipped him for Kendrick Perkins. OKC if anything has shown they are willing to take a risk.
Kevin Martin? I don't know man. He's a good scorer, he can get to the line, but I feel like there's a better player they could've gotten for cheaper. I say cheaper even though Kevin Martin is a UFA this year because if they do retain him, I don't think it will be cheap, especially if he does well for them this year. Then if he does stay, he's effectively replaced James Harden short-term, but at what cost? If they plan to cut ties with him after this year and he's just a stopgap, then the deal is pretty much Lamb+pick.
I feel like OKC were confident they could get a deal done with James Harden before the season started, they wanted that commitment because they were afraid of losing him in the summer because they had a pretty strict salary # they had in mind for him, now OR next summer. They realized pretty late that James Harden's representation and the Thunder didn't meet eye-to-eye, and they somewhat panicked into doing the first deal they could find. Houston was eying him for a while, and that's that.
kevin martin is just a stopgap OR a potential asset come the trade deadline..

our assets come the trade deadline:
  1. martin's expiring contract (IF lamb shows anything or any of our other bench guys show they can be major scorers off the bench)
  2. maynor, who is a restricted free agent at the end of the year (IF reggie jackson plays well)
  3. the dallas top 20 protected pick
  4. and our own draft pick
the real long term get was the toronto pick and lamb

i agree.. i thought our focus in the offseason was getting harden's deal done.. i was shocked when i saw it announced that ibaka was extended

to be honest, there must be something behind the scenes that we dont know.. maybe they saw dude living it up a little too much.. i mean there were rumors of him partying during the finals (i have no clue how true or untrue they are.. just throwing out reasons)

Man, ****, for what!? :lol:

Meh. I liked Murphy 8 years ago when he was on the Warriors. Not now... :x

Cunningham or Bernard James to the D-League.

If I had to guess, James.

Last edited:
nice pickup for DAL :nthat:

Damn yall deeper than I thought especially that bench :nerd:

No Dirk. No Chris. No problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom