Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NBA to change All-Star ballot, eliminating center

The NBA is finally doing something about the Duncan Dilemma.

The league will announce Wednesday a change to its All-Star ballot that will, for the first time, allow fans to vote for three undefined "frontcourt" players instead of having to vote for two forwards and a center. With more and more teams playing smaller than in the past, the definition of "center" was becoming increasingly difficult -- not to mention finding enough quality big men for whom to vote.

For years, for example, the Spurs have listed Tim Duncan as a power forward, even though everyone on earth knew he was their starting center. And so when it came to All-Star balloting, Duncan would take up a forward spot in a very crowded field of Western Conference stars instead of his logical spot in the middle. This was good for Duncan, who surely would have made his 13 All-Star teams anyway, but it often cost another forward a shot.

The league decided to make the change after the NBA's Competition Committee agreed to the move at its meeting last month, VP of Basketball Operations Stu Jackson said Tuesday evening.

"It makes sense," Jackson said. "It made sense to our Competition Committee. Having a center is the only specific position that was singled out on the ballot. It just seemed a little outdated and didn't represent the way our game has evolved. By the same token, it also affords the same opportunity, if you have two good centers in a given year, pick 'em both. They both can be selected. Which is impossible right now."

That would be good news for players like Boston's Kevin Garnett and Miami's Chris Bosh, nominal forwards who are now playing center for their respective teams. Under the old rules, Garnett and Bosh would have been in the center category with the likes of Philadelphia's Andrew Bynum, Atlanta's Al Horford and Indiana's Roy Hibbert. Now, any of them can be selected as a "frontcourt" player.

"It was something that we originally thought made some sense, but we didn't want to make a decision in a vacuum, of course," Jackson said. "We ran it by the Competition Committee and they thought the idea made some sense ... it gives the fans some flexibility while keeping competitive balance."

The league will debut the 2013 All-Star ballot on Nov. 13. Players are selected for the ballot by a committee of national media who cover the NBA on a regular basis. The 2013 All-Star Game will be Feb. 17 at the Toyota Center in Houston.
Link

^^^That pretty much tells you all you need to know about the quality of the center position these days. Wouldn't surprise me if Dwight is the only true C who makes the ASG.

They finished only 1 game apart in the standings. The Lakers were a little over a point/100 poss. better on defense but the Clippers were 2 and a half points better on offense. The Lakers won the season series so they have the edge there. I don't think either team was clearly better than the other though.

"And now your All Star starting lineup! At guard..."
"Also at guard..."
"One of the starting frontcourt players..."
"Also playing frontcourt player..."
"And the final starting frontcourt player..."

Last edited:
Last edited:
Been sayin, and its clear as day right there. Tim Duncan, 13x All Star*

Should be 10, maybe 11.

Why did Bron get a tech? Flop rule?
HAHAHA
I watched that entire **** twice and still have no idea why they called a tech on him. I don't know what the refs were seeing/hearing.

This would only happen to him in the preseason. No way they call that from November - June.

He's still a **** boy though.
Link
What are they gonna do about Jeremy Lin and his future 8x All Star appearances though?

Consecutively.

Last edited:

Only preseason, but you can see the potential between the physical gifts and basketball skills.

HAHAHA

Link

What are they gonna do about Jeremy Lin and his future 8x All Star appearances though?

Consecutively.

tumblr_mcckdiPH9N1r2br17o1_500.png

tumblr_mc4ip2Bkqt1r5cjpoo1_r3_250.gif

Last edited:
HAHAHA
Link

Consecutively.
tumblr_mcckdiPH9N1r2br17o1_500.png

tumblr_mc4ip2Bkqt1r5cjpoo1_r3_250.gif
All of this was perfect execution
SMH at the NBA. Admiring how bad the center position is

Shooting guard is up next
I was really coming here to post the article and complain. This is so dumb, if youre going to do this why not just make the whole thing Guard and Forward or just one blob of players. Calling it the "Tim Duncan Rule" SMH. I wonder which players complained about this. Mad about nothing.

Yeah but you wouldn't complain a single word if they didn't use Duncan's name, sooo.....?
Yeah I would, this rule makes no sense. While attempting to keep players from being excluded they have nothing to prevent it. Its an inevitable outcome of having limited spots. The fact that theyre using TD as a scapegoat for this is bothering me I wont lie, but the basis of the argument is even worse. What did this solve? Absolutely nothing.

Lets take a look at the ASG Votes for last year:

Eastern Conference Balloting | Presented by Sprint

Forwards: LeBron James (Mia) 1,360,680; Carmelo Anthony (NYK) 1,041,290; Amar'e Stoudemire (NYK) 383,734; Kevin Garnett (Bos) 367,914; Chris Bosh (Mia) 324,605; Luol Deng (Chi) 276,205; Paul Pierce (Bos) 215,020; Carlos Boozer (Chi) 175,828; Andrea Bargnani (Tor) 152,362; Josh Smith (Atl) 119,638.

Guards: Derrick Rose (Chi) 1,514,723; Dwyane Wade (Mia) 1,334,223; Rajon Rondo (Bos) 547,110; Ray Allen (Bos) 382,147; Deron Williams (NJN) 208,697; Jose Calderon (Tor) 132,167; Richard Hamilton (Chi) 111,368; John Wall (Was) 96,606; Kyrie Irving (Cle) 96,346; Joe Johnson (Atl) 66,145.

Centers: Dwight Howard (Orl) 1,600,390; Joakim Noah (Chi) 236,497; Tyson Chandler (NYK) 163,077; Joel Anthony (Mia) 101,307; JaVale McGee (Was) 63,765; Al Horford (Atl) 50,396.

Western Conference Balloting | Presented by Sprint

Forwards: Kevin Durant (OKC) 1,345,566; Blake Griffin (LAC) 876,451; Pau Gasol (LAL) 470,353; Dirk Nowitzki (Dal) 468,435; Kevin Love (Min) 373,880; LaMarcus Aldridge (Por) 279,500; Tim Duncan (SA) 185,069; Lamar Odom (Dal) 142,830; Danilo Gallinari (Den) 110,245; Rudy Gay (Mem) 95,228.

Guards: Kobe Bryant (LAL) 1,555,479; Chris Paul (LAC) 1,138,743; Ricky Rubio (Min) 397,456; Steve Nash (Pho) 276,268; Russell Westbrook (OKC) 262,186; Kyle Lowry (Hou) 185,584; Monta Ellis (GS) 156,603; Chauncey Billups (LAC) 120,961; Jason Kidd (Dal) 114,924; Manu Ginobili (SA) 111,273.

Centers: Andrew Bynum (LAL) 1,051,945; DeAndre Jordan (LAC) 322,056; Marc Gasol (Mem) 285,525; Nenê (Den) 207,102; Marcin Gortat (Pho) 136,168; Kendrick Perkins (OKC) 99,811.

nbaWideArticle

Swap Bynum and Dwight around what is going to change about the vote getting exactly? Not a thing. The same people are going to start and then coaches pick the reserves.Unless you think that somehow relabling the positions will cause a dramatic shift in the vote breakdown which is quite frankly crazy. 

What change were they trying to promote? This system may yield some positive changes from time to time (it would have stopped that Jamal Maglorie thing from happen) but 9/10 times the chips are going to fall where they orignally going to fall and the same people will be left out. This changed nothing. Like I said earlier something like this had to be sparked from player complaints and if they took 5 minutes to look at the numbers they would have arrived at the same conclusion that I did and realize that theyre complaing about nothing.

Tim Duncan rule is totally uncalled for, the votes are the votes. If they want to get mad, then get mad at the fans.

Last edited:
The only thing they should change is allowing the continent of Asia to vote. That's is all.

You're missing the point man, how can you not get that?

Tim Duncan is NOT a forward, hasn't been for years. 2 years ago, didn't he get on the all star team, AS A FORWARD, which meant what? He kept another forward, one that should have been on the team, off it.

I don't remember which player, but I remember there being a ton of arguing in the NBA thread about it.

If Dunc was listed as a center, as he should have been, maybe he gets in, maybe he doesn't, whatever, but that other forward would have.

Now, the best X number of front court players get in, all because it don't matter what position they list Duncan at, unless Pop starts listing him as the SG, which is entirely possible.

Ask yourself why the Spurs FOR YEARS call Dunc a forward, when he's been a center for almost a decade.

The only thing they should change is allowing the continent of Asia to vote. That's is all.
Yes, the NBA should prevent a huge global market from participating in one of its biggest events... that makes loads of sense.

Last edited:

Yes, the NBA should prevent a huge global market from participating in one of its biggest events... that makes loads of sense.

Sarcasm :\

Also I can't wait for Lin to get voted in regardless if he's having a subpar season or not :\

If you think Nick Young is a quality basketball player.......you are sorely mistaken.

Dude is a cancer. Good riddance. I would have rather had Flip Saunders playing SG on the Wizards than Nick. No effort on defense, couldn't move without the ball, poor poor passing because he never did it, the list goes on.

Good to see Maynor back playing ball, hope he bounces back from the injury.

Behind strong performances from the team's talented youngsters, as well as several veteran newcomers, the Sixers finished the preseason with an impressive 6-1 record – their best in over a decade. We take a look at some of the most striking statistics from the last week and a half of exhibition matches.

• At 6-1, the Sixers currently boast the best preseason record in the NBA. Their one loss came in overtime against the Brooklyn Nets on October 13.

• Philly also posted the best point differential of any team in the league this preseason, outscoring opponents by an average of 11.0 points per game.

• Big man Lavoy Allen has the second-most rebounds in the NBA this preseason, with 56 (8.0 per game). Center Enes Kanter of the Utah Jazz leads all players, with 63 (9.0 per game).

• The Sixers’ two Youngs, guard Nick and forward Thaddeus, finished ninth and 11th in scoring this preseason, respectively. Nick Young averaged 15.0 points per game on 47.9% shooting, while Thaddeus Young averaged 14.8 points per game on 58.6% shooting.

• As a team, the Sixers scored the third-most points of any team this preseason (102.7 points per game), behind the Houston Rockets (104.4) and the Oklahoma City Thunder (104.2).

• Doug Collins’ squad posted more 100-plus point performances than any team in the league, doing so five times.

• The Sixers have three players in the top-15 in three-pointers made – Dorell Wright (tied for eighth-most, with 12) and Jason Richardson and Nick Young (both tied for 13th-most, with 11). They are the only teammate trio to do so.

• Philly finished with the second-highest assist total (25.1 per game) and the best assists differential (+5.43) in the NBA during the preseason.

• Point guard Jrue Holiday is in a five-way tie for fourth-most assists per game, behind Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul, and Russell Westbrook. The fourth-year guard has averaged 6.5 per contest this preseason.

• Holiday also has the second-best assist/turnover ratio (3.25) of any player in the top ten in assists per game this preseason.

The Sixers open their 2012-13 preseason Wednesday, October 31, at home against the Nuggets, and while, of course, preseason games do not count in the standings, they'll do so with a great deal of momentum, thanks to their hot jump on this year's campaign.
I kno it was only pre-season but comon now give them there props fellas its the first time they all played together and its only gonna get better, i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom