[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

From what was just reported Willie will be staying in NY but I know for sure that he'll get a pink slip if the Mets fail to make the playoffs. However,it's still too early to be talking playoffs and the offseason.

Sorry if Late, via Yahoo.com:

FLUSHING, NEW YORK (TICKER) -Willie Randolph still has a job as the manager of the New York Mets - for now.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya gave Randolph a vote of confidence during a news conference Monday afternoon at Shea Stadium.

"Willie's our manager," Minaya said. "Willie has a contract for next year, and I hope he'll be our manager for many years tocome."

Randolph met with Mets owner Fred Wilpon, COO Jeff Wilpon and Minaya earlier in the day, leading to speculation that the embattled manager was in danger ofbeing fired.

Although Randolph still was the Mets' manager when the three-hour meeting ended, he revealed that the Wilpons did not guarantee his job security throughthe rest of the season.

[table][tr][td][size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

"(The Wilpons) didn't say that," Randolph said. "It's always urgent in a division where you don't want to slip back. There'surgency every day to win ballgames."

Randolph has come under fire in recent days following an inflammatory interview with the Record of Hackensack, which reported that the usually mild-manneredmanager criticized Mets fans and the New York media.

The first black manager in franchise history, Randolph drew the organization's ire for particular comments in the interview that criticized Metstelevision network SNY for its portrayal of his behavior.

Randolph also hinted at a racial double standard regarding coaches, managers and team executives - specifically in New York. He since has apologized to theWilpons for his controversial comments, which were published seven days ago.

"Once we get beyond today, those comments are over," Minaya said. "(The Wilpons) felt it was important to talk to Willie about it.They've accepted his apology, and we move on from there."

The underachieving Mets also have been a disaster on the field, losing six of their last seven games entering Monday's home contest with the Florida Marlins.

Randolph, however, dismissed the notion that his situation has distracted the ballclub.

"The bottom line is, we haven't played up to our capabilities," Randolph said. "I don't sense that in the past week and a half that(the Mets players) have been affected by the stuff that goes on around them."

Widely considered a preseason favorite to compete for the National League pennant, the Mets enter Monday's game with a 23-25 record. New York is miredin fourth place in the NL East Division, 5 1/2 games behind the first-place Marlins (29-20).

With a team payroll of just under $140 million, the Mets have been booed sporadically this season by a fan base still reeling from a disastrous end to the2007 campaign.

"If you don't win in this town and you are projected to be the best team in the National League, there is tension," Minaya said.

The Mets swept a rain-shortened two-game series from the New York Yankees on May 17-18, offering glimpses of a rebound from a 3-4 homestand.

But after winning both games at Yankee Stadium, the Mets were swept by the rival Atlanta Braves in a four-game sweep at TurnerField. Atlanta completed the sweep Thursday with a 4-2 victory against Mets ace Johan Santana, who squandered a one-runlead.

New York followed the awful series in Atlanta by losing two of three games at Colorado, which entered the series with the league's second-worst recordand was playing without several injured regulars.

But Randolph seemed calm one day after Sunday's 4-1 loss to the Rockies.

"I didn't come (to the meeting) expecting to get fired," he said. "I told some of the guys that I was looking forward to managing thisteam. (The Wilpons) were very supportive. They just wanted to make sure that we were on the same page as far as getting this thing turned around."

Minaya echoed Randolph's sentiments, downplaying the rumors concerning the manager's job status.

"Willie has my support, the support of our ownership," Minaya said. "Willie's job was never in danger going into this meeting."

The Mets are just eight months removed from arguably the biggest regular-season collapse in baseball history, when they blew a seven-game standings leadwith 17 contests remaining.

A childhood Mets fan as a Brooklyn resident, the 53-year-old Randolph has posted a 291-243 record with New York.

Get Willie out, this homestand will not help, I can already feel it. I will be at the game tomorrow night and do not plan on spending money on any more ticketsto see this team underperform. Boycotting the purchase of any Mets products for A WHILE.

I can't wait for these guys to start winning again so that people can stop using Willie as an excuse.

Was it Willie's fault that Pelfrey allowed 5 (or was it 6?) two out runs?

That Reyes made yet another error (2nd most in the NL among SS) that cost his team some runs?

That the cleanup hitter is batting .215?

I say let's see what happens when Pedro returns. Obviously if the team continues on this skid (like lose the next 6 out of 7 or so before Pedro even getsback), then Willie may have to go.

I don't know why so many of you are FOR change. I guess I've seen what's happened over the years with other NY teams and I feel as if patience isthe better path to follow.

The Knicks and all of their changing of coaches... where did that get them?

Conversely, the Giants decided NOT to make a change (despite the media, the players, and the fans begging for Coughlin's head a year ago) and look how thathas turned out. Champs.

Same with Torre and the Yanks last year. Dead in the water in June. Playoffs in September.

It's MAY for crying out loud.

Thankfully, I haven't been able to watch more of the games for the last week or so. Didn't see tonight's game but I checked in on the score everyonce in a while.

It's pathetic and something needs to change. I was able to read up today to try to get a feel for what's going on, but the players are just giving thesame old rhetoric, "We need to play better to win games." No ++!@!

This team just seems so apathetic on the field. Towards the end of last season it seemed like everyone just got complacent and it has carried over to thisseason. Reyes has been a HUGE disappointment to me, not only at the plate where he looks like it's his first season all over again, but in the field and onthe bases. What was so great about him isn't even there anymore. I don't even care that he hit 2 HRs tonight, it seems like that's all he'strying to do since he got a few under his belt.

And Luis Castillo...4 year contract? As much as I like the moves Minaya has made overall...dude should be docked pay just for that. I don't know why, but Ijust can't stand Castillo. I think his attitude sucks and nothing about him as a player stands out to me. He'll get you a couple singles a week, movesomebody over (not Reyes because he hasn't been on base/staying on base), but nothing else. He's got no range in the field either.

My rant is over for now.

alien.gif

SHUGES

EVERYONE is to blame, not just Willie. When you have players come out flat during this streak and not hustle, and sometimes just flat out not lookprepared...that falls on the manager. He is way too sensitive and brought many unnecessary distractions to the team. His managerial "skills" wereexposed during the Cardinals NLCS series in 2006.

Omar is also the one who brought the players here, and while firing Willie wouldn't solve ALL the problems, its a step in the right direction because thereneeds to be changes come next season. I still believe he will be the manager for a while (unless they just keep on losing)...but come next season I expect anew manager and a roster overhaul with all the expiring "old player" contracts.

This is MORE than just Willie, but he def is NOT helping his case. I DO feel bad for him as a person, but that's the business of baseball (he cannot takeit personal). I do blame Omar moreso though because Willie is forced to coach this gutless team.

this whole week has been just miserable... I cant even listen to WFAN anymore....all they've been talking about is how horrible the Mets have been playingand how they're under-achieving

Yeah this may not all be Willie's fault...BUT he's already lost the entire fan base and he's not winning them back no matter what. And the truthis, he's not a very good manager anyway, so a change can't hurt.

Willie needs to go, and so does about half this team. Omar's done a terrible job the past 2 seasons and deserves alot of blame as well. But i dont want himfired.

Originally Posted by holdupstop23

Yeah this may not all be Willie's fault...BUT he's already lost the entire fan base and he's not winning them back no matter what. And the truth is, he's not a very good manager anyway, so a change can't hurt.

Willie needs to go, and so does about half this team. Omar's done a terrible job the past 2 seasons and deserves alot of blame as well. But i dont want him fired.
Co-Sign

Once people start calling for your head and for you to be fired you are going to be fired sooner or later unless you damn near win the world series.

And it is a fact that his managerial skills are questionable at best.

Luckily for Willie the Mets are talented enough to bail him out but unless they grow a pair lasts years collapse was just the beginning of dissapointment.Thank God for Johan.
pimp.gif

From MetsBlog.com
In a minor-league rehab assignment, Jose Valentin had five hits, including three doubles, in 11 at bats while playing for Single-A St. Lucie this past weekend.
Valentin will next be promoted to Triple-A New Orleans, where he'll play first base and left field.

honestly, the sooner this guy gets back to Shea Stadium the better…

…according SNY's Gary Cohen, among others, valentin played an integral role in motivating Jose Reyesand the team's locker room…from what i can gather, he has a breezy, professional, inspirational way about him, and things have not been the same since he left in 2007…

Valentin has not played for the Mets in the regular season since July 20 of last season.

Prior to his injury, the Mets played eight games over .500, while playing just two games over .500 after the injury.

Similarly, Reyes hit .304 with Valentin by his side, but hit just .248 after his injury.

I found this interesting. It might just be coincendental, IDK. I just had a feeling that Valentin would make a good coach, plus the stache ispretty killer.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

SHUGES

EVERYONE is to blame, not just Willie. When you have players come out flat during this streak and not hustle, and sometimes just flat out not look prepared...that falls on the manager. He is way too sensitive and brought many unnecessary distractions to the team. His managerial "skills" were exposed during the Cardinals NLCS series in 2006.

Omar is also the one who brought the players here, and while firing Willie wouldn't solve ALL the problems, its a step in the right direction because there needs to be changes come next season. I still believe he will be the manager for a while (unless they just keep on losing)...but come next season I expect a new manager and a roster overhaul with all the expiring "old player" contracts.

This is MORE than just Willie, but he def is NOT helping his case. I DO feel bad for him as a person, but that's the business of baseball (he cannot take it personal). I do blame Omar moreso though because Willie is forced to coach this gutless team.
Yeah, I totally agree with just about all that you said actually.

As for tonight, no Fat Cat in the lineup....

tiger-woods.jpg

What a difference a few new faces makes with a GAME PLAN hitting the ball the other way makes.

This crowd looks dead, its crazy.
eek.gif

Mets need Santana to pitch a good game.

Great win. I totally enjoyed this game. Watched from start to finish. Screw the playoffs.
laugh.gif

Looks like no Fat Cat tomorrow after this one.
pimp.gif

Easly/Castro/Tatis 5 for 9 (4 RBI's)

Good win, get a series win tomm and build on it por favor.

ehhh good win but COME ON!... 2nd n 3rd NO OUTS! n u dont score? are u freakin serious??!!! unbelievable... wat if the Marlins came back in that 9th inning?SMH! I'm glad they won , but they still aren't doin things right

Well, Castillo has the power of a girl scout so that did not come as a surprise.

...and that was probably the hardest hit ball I've seen all game by David, that was a BULLET! Just bad luck that it was hit right at someone.

good win... they have to keep it goin and win like 5 in a row to turn this around....but knowing this team, they'll come out tomorrow sleepy and lose 6-1.

Yea but with less than 2 outs, u CANNOT get picked off 3rd... u learn that from little league mez... u should know

Yeah that was def Chavez's fault, but they won the game so I won't nitpick at things tonight.

I just want to see wins.

Back
Top Bottom