[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

May 19, 2008
Pedro looks good in tune up

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - Pedro Martinez pitched to hitters in an extended spring training game tonight and could be fast-tracked back to the majors.

The three-time Cy Young Award winner has been on the disabled list since injuring his left hamstring during his first start of the season on April 1 at Florida. In pitching 4-1/3 innings against St. Louis Cardinals minor leaguers, he said he never felt pain or discomfort.

Afterward he spoke to GM Omar Minaya, who instructed him to fly to meet the team in Atlanta and throw a bullpen session there that day. A set plan has not been mapped out, but Martinez could be back in the majors before June (which is soon enough to make one's head spin).

For the record, he allowed two runs, but only one was earned. He gave up five hits including a solo home run, didn't allow a walk and fanned five. He threw 73 pitches, 54 for strikes. He was regularly in the high-80s with his fastball and threw one that registered 90 to strike out Edwin Gomez, the player who'd hit the home run.

No letdown this week, stay consistent and have the same focus/energy! Beat Grandpa "5 inning" Glavine up tomm with Maine, and steal the doubleheader.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Pedro Martinez pitched to hitters in an extended spring training game tonight and could be fast-tracked back to the majors.

frown.gif
Kiss of death right there. I'm not gonna speculate at thispoint.

I'm happy I'll get to watch at least some of each game of the doubleheader.

Seems like Maine doesn't have good control of his pitches (esp his change up) whenever he has an extra days rest. We saw the same thing with Santana thispast weekend and he gutted it out, but Maine is even walking the 8th hitter.

It al;so doesn't help that Glavine got lucky in the 1st to escape with just one run, and now he's getting those "old" strike calls off theplate.

[h1]Report: Pedro might retire after 2008 season to tend to ailing father[/h1]
ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 20, 2008, 9:55 AM ET

The four-year contract Pedro Martinez signed with the New York Mets in the 2004 offseason expires after this season. Will that also be the last we see of the likely Hall of Famer?

4875.jpg

Martinez

The rehabbing Mets pitcher told the New York Daily News for Tuesday's editions that he will mull retirement in the offseason so he can tend to his ailing 78-year-old father Pablo, who is battling a form of brain cancer.

"It's taking a toll on me and my family, my dad's situation," Martinez told the Daily News. "I haven't been there for them. I just realized that between last year and this year I haven't been there for my family, my parents.

"That'll probably drag me away from the game a little sooner than people expect.

"After this season, I'm going to go back home and think about it and I'm going to decide."

Meanwhile, the three-time Cy Young winner inched closer to a return to the Mets by throwing 4 1/3 innings of a simulated game Monday in Port St. Lucie, Fla.

The Mets plan to have him throw a bullpen session Wednesday or Thursday in Atlanta.

"They want to evaluate how I look," Martinez told the Daily News. "I feel very good. ... I had good pop. I could dial it up when I needed to.
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
"I'm healthy and if I'm healthy, I can get big league hitters out."

Martinez, who has been out since straining his left hamstring April 1 in his only start of the season for New York, threw 77 pitches.

He previously threw 55 pitches in a simulated game on May 14.

Still, Martinez's thoughts remain with his father.

"He's stable, but he's not going to get any better," he told the Daily News. "He can't take any more chemo. We're letting him have a nice end of his life. The chemo is not going to help him. If they give him the chemo that might be it.

"They told me there's nothing we can do. He's eventually going to deteriorate."

Martinez said if he does retire, it has no reflection on his situation with the Mets.

"If I do go away sooner than later, understand it's because of my family," he told the Daily News.

Sad man, seems he regrets not being able to be there. Can't make up that time either.

Hope his father enjoys his remaining time and it isn't too difficult/hard on him.

Man Willie is realli pissing me off changing the lineup around... leave Castillo in the friggin 8 hole n put Church in the 2 hole.... doesn't he noticethat Reyes gets more pitches to hit when Church is behind him?
eyes.gif

I swear i could do a better job at managing than this fool
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

No letdown this week, stay consistent and have the same focus/energy! Beat Grandpa "5 inning" Glavine up tomm with Maine, and steal the double header.

Looks like the Grandpa Glavine pitched a great game.
pimp.gif
He'sregaining his Braves days of finesse pitching. And Heilman gave up another 2 run Homerun to McCann running for All Star Catcher this year
happy.gif

Also Mike Piazza officially announced his retirement today. One of the greatest offensive catchers my favorite when i watched him on the Dodgers SNYdoesn't know if he will wear the Dodger or Met cap on his plaque (probably Mets though)

Mets simply played AWFUL today, and Glavine is a guy who has had a lot of trouble getting people out these days...17 straight outs is ridiculous (where thehell was that over the last 2 weeks last year)? Grandpa Glavine also got the most ridiculous strike calls I've seen in a while, even GameDay proves myargument. Now they have to look to Vargas for the split.

They continue to take the little momentum to get and put up a garbage performance such as today. Willie is now back-tracking with the racism card he pulled anight or two ago, what a joke..

I wonder how much longer this will continue, this is the most inexcusable performance from this team that I've seen all year....they are better than thisbut they continue to stink up the joint after a win or 2.

Win 1, lose 2, win 3, then lose 2 of the next 3, etc.

Glavine clearly did get questionable strike out calls today but thats the way it is because Turner field doesn't use Questec and Umpires have wider strikezones while at Shea he didn't get the strike calls his way.

I haven't seen much of Jorge Campillo and don't think he is a good pitcher, so today's night game will most likely be a high scoring game.

^ Knowing the Mets, Campillo will hold the Mets to 6IP, 4-5 hits, 1-2 ER because he's an unknown. Plus the lineup will be weaker with the old farts restingtonight.

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

I haven't seen much of Jorge Campillo and don't think he is a good pitcher, so today's night game will most likely be a high scoring game.
Yea....high scoring for the Braves offense....not ours

Another unknown Cy Young award winner?

The at-bats by the Mets so far have been pathetic, looks exactly like earlier today.

I hope this team gets swept, maybe Willie will finally get the axe. Cohen/Darling NAILED why Willie isan idiot...they come off a great weekend and yet he wants to add even more controversy with the racism claims (another distraction). I love how they arebashing the team on air right now.

He needs to focus on protecting his players and not adding fuel to the fire. He's a damn sensitivedistraction to the team right now, I highly doubt anyone on the team would run through a brick wall for him.

SNY's announcers had two games to analyze Tuesday, but they saved some of their most pointed remarks for something that happened long before the first pitch was thrown.

Reacting to the timing and content of Willie Randolph's comments in The Record of Hackensack (N.J.), Monday, SNY's four on-site voices expressed both bafflement and annoyance.

That included Randolph's allusions to racism and unfairness, but also a salvo aimed at SNY itself, which largely is owned by the Mets.

"They're the artists, I'm the canvas," Randolph said, then asserted SNY paints a picture of him as a passive observer rather than a fiery leader.

The return fire began pregame, when Kevin Burkhardt called the comments "mystifying," and continued early in Game 1.

"Why is Willie wasting any time watching us, for one, and two, I just think it's wrong," Ron Darling said. "I think his comments are wrong.

"I think some of the best things we do are watching not only Willie, but also his staff, go about their business educating these young men on how to play the game."

Said Keith Hernandez: "In my 17 years of major-league baseball and 10-plus years of being up here in the booth, I've just never heard of a manager make those kinds of comments before, and I'm really quite surprised that Willie made those comments."

Darling noted the irony of Randolph speaking out so soon after the latest incident involving Billy Wagner, whom Randolph has encouraged to keep things "in house."

And by the way, how is Randolph even aware of what is on TV during a game?

"The thing that happens on television," Darling said, "is that people at home or people that are close to the players or coaches really can only see the bad stuff ... It's unfair of them, I think, to relay that to a man who has to spend all of his time being worried about his team."

Before Game 1, Gary Cohen lamented the Mets having to "deal with another self-inflicted controversy," which Hernandez said was "hard to believe."

Darling added he hated as a player having to respond to reporters asking about controversies unrelated to him.

"It's stopping you from doing what you're supposed to be doing: getting ready for the game," he said. "Part of the problem we have now is that the manager has chosen to make comments about things that you would think that for him should be water under the bridge. Who cares what anyone says? You care about wins."

Idiot Church
mad.gif
sliding late and injuring Escobar with already a bad legthe game was already over why slide late?

Braves won.
happy.gif

I know you are NOT blaming Church on that play.

He has every right to slide and break up a double play, Escobar tries to jump 6 feet in the air, its a freak accident.

Probably has a concussion, he's def going to the hospital. It would have been nice to see some position players out there on the field to help Church, andnot see Wagner and Smith carrying dude off the field and Braves players showing concern.

Talk about adding insult to injury...can't imagine how bad the Mets will play with him out of the lineup.

Low point of the season that's for sure, this past weekend was a fluke, a tease.

Its riediculous how I can predict Willie's post game comments of: "turn the page", "tip your cap", "we'll get themtomm"....when you have a player like David Wright stating "there is no excuses, we cannot get hold and cold all season and expect to contend for adivision", etc.

Campillo with a surprise gem today. Braves are on fire at home

Earlier Escobar was complaining about a leg injury and now he's definitly hurt made a great diving play.

Even Harold Reynolds said Church was late in sliding and Mazzeli too.

Ryan Church suffered a head injury after colliding with Yunel Escobar's knee at the end of Tuesday's game.
Church wsa left with a big bump on his head as a result of trying to break up a double play. As long as he's not seriously hurt, we'd say he got exactly what he deserved for what was a stupid and dangerous slide. Escobar was also hurt and had to be helped off the field with what was probably a bruise. May. 20 - 11:24 pm et

damn willie really stuck his foot in his mouth with those statements

this is the kind of thing that will bring added scrutiny.

being an ex yankees player, coach and now mets manager of all people you'd think he know what and what not to say

From ESPN Insider:

"According to the New York Daily News, the New York Mets have been shopping the struggling reliever Aaron Heilman. It is believed that they are looking for relief pitcher to take over the set-up role. "

It comes to no surprise to me that all these change up/fastball pitchers we have are giving up dingers this season (ie Heilman, Wise, etc). They need to mixin their 3rd pitches.
I wouldn't be surprised if Heilman is converted to a starter if he IS dealt.

God this team stinks.

I don't think Willie will be making it past Memorial Day Weekend with his job. Those stupid comments he made will prove to be some of his last words as aMet.

Back
Top Bottom