Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Where to begin, I am hungover so bear with me. Got together with my boys last night around 9 to watch the top 10 fights on Spike for the UFC 100 best fights.We all knew Bonnar vs Griffen was #1, glad to see that again, monumental fight. Anyway as the PPV got underway all I could think about was the undercard fightsand how bad i wanted to see the Jon Jones fight. With all I read on "Sexyama" I was expecting a hell of a fight, and it was a good fight, both himand Belcher traded for a while although I scored the first 2 rounds to Belcher, 2nd one could go either way, but Akiyama fought well. Then the big Hendo vsBisping fight happened. From the moment Bisping stepped in the ring I was concerned, he looked verrry frail. Looked uncomfortable at the weight and just didntlook like he was ready for the type of shape he had to be in. Hendo on the other side was ready, all the #@@ talking from Bisping motivated him to no-end.I'm not going to lie I had Bisping winning via decision before the fight, but boy was I wrong. From the get go Hendo took it to the Brit and it was overright away, he established his position landed shots and then came the monster hook. When he caught Bisping with that hook my jaw was on the floor, the wholeroom roared it was insane. Andd then he followed that up with the superman-esque diving punch that landed flush. We usually never see those type of punchesever land, and if they do it was a graze, but no this was right into the bulls-eye of his face. It took Bisping like 3 minutes to just sit up and then he washelped up by like 4 guys. The fight made me respect Hendo so much more, I knew he was a great wrestler and had some hands, but not like that...he gets maaajoorprops, I wonder who is next for him, and he has to get a title shot soon, especially after last nights win. I put 20 bucks on GSP to win with my friend, and ofcourse GSP dominated the entire fight, I said last night that the only way Alves wins is if the fight is standing, so I got nervous every time they stood upbecause i know Alves has some serious stand up, but anytime they got up GSP would throw Alves around like a rag doll. It was wrestling at its finest, mixed hitgood shots on the ground. I was praying for a right head kick in the 4th to end it when they were standing but Alves was a class act after the fight. **imgoing to continue this post in the next post, its getting long**

The main event was amazing, we were all hyped for it and I was rooting for Brock to destroy Mir and he did just that. Mir was a punk and I hated him since thefirst fight with all the junk he talked. And this fight Mir wouldn't shut up and said how he would work him on the stand up and all this other stuff sayinghow Brock is no good etc. From the weigh ins on Friday when Brock wouldn't even look at Mir, to the non glove touching at the start of the fight to thedestruction of Mir. It was an amazing display and all you guys hating on Brock saying he only won cause hes that big....WHAT DO YOU WANT HIM TO DO SAY SORRYGUYS I DIDNT MEAN TO BE THIS BIG??????????? He used his size and strength to his advantage just like in every situation in life, if you have an advantage atsomething your going to use it to better yourself. Brock took his size and man handled Mir. From the weigh ins Mir looked cut and jacked, then at the fight youcould clearly see he put on a good 10 lbs and his cutness and abs were gone. Brock is the man, his "heel role" is only arising because Mir brought itout with all his %**# talking, Mir deserved to get wrecked and he did. The post fight was awesome, if I was Lesnar I would have handled it the same, w/e hesaid when he went to Mir's corner "what now #@@!+" or w/e he said it was warranted. Did anyone really expect them to shake hands, hug and squashthe beef? I didnt, and Brock is the man with the beer comment, at the bar afterwards when we got beers thats all we talked about. The "get on top of mywife tonight" comment was insane but hilarious. Listen Brock is here to stay, for those of you who think Lashley will give Brock a fight your wrong, Brockwould knock out Lashley in the 1st. I even think after this fight Fedor would have trouble with Lesnar although I do think Fedor is the best in the world.Overall...amazing PPV i enjoyed it greatly.

Originally Posted by Saba

cliffnots on brock last night ?

Round 1 - Took down Mir and ended up in half guard. Headlocked Mir so he was facing the direction he couldnt use half guard to escape. Chose his puncheswisely, slowly, and with power. Mir's face gets mashed. Round 2 - Took down Mir and ended up in half guard. Pressed Mir against the cage so he cant usehalf guard to escape. Chose his punches wisely, slowly, and with power. Mir's head gets mashed. Mir's cornermen can be seen behind them in certaincamera angles, collectively crapping their pants. Ref puts Mir out of his misery.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

Anyone know GSP and Alves' entrance songs?

gsp always comes out to some french canadian rap that i know nothing about but it always sounds good, and im pretty sure that alves came out to big thingspoppin again

Brock
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

The fight probably wouldn't happen until Lesnar is done any way because of the stupid crap with the contract. BUT if Fedor fights Brock now, he has a lot more match ups that White can take advantage of then Brock. And if Brock is competitive against Fedor, White can stretch out a rematch. And I gotta say the heavyweight division is a lot better then it was before. Not saying it's one of the top divisions out there, it'll never be, but it's not as bad as you say it is with all the young guns coming up.

And have you seen any of Hunt's last few fights? For someone with such a good chin he's been getting hurt and finished pretty easily... Against guys with no business fighting a legit heavy...

And "Granddaddy" Couture would still give a lot of people problems, at heavy and light heavy...

It's subjective but the HW division is still weak. MMA needs the HW division to be like it was back in the UFC-Pride rivalry days.
You're right about Hunt the lst few fights but he'd still do better than Mir. For the lone fact that Lesnar wouldn't be able to smother Hunt by laying on top of him.
laugh.gif

I was a bigger fan of MMA back a few eyars ago when White had less control of the sport as a whole.
I still like watching the truly talented fighters like GSP, Silva, Fedor but MMA has been going downhill.

White just shapes and influences every fight/fighter in the UFC. There are plenty of fights that should've never been fought (ala Alves at GSP
laugh.gif
) and there are fights that clearly should happen but never do.

The more control White gets of MMA in America the worse it'll be. Lesnar is facilitating that by bringing in the numbskull (no offense
laugh.gif
) WWE fans who would be just as happy if UFC fights were outright staged.

*Sigh*

I couldn't disagree more, and IMHO you're looking at this from the wrong perspective.

"WWE fans" are some of the most loyal fans of any sport/entertainment genre. They watch the product at every opportunity, buy significant amounts ofmerchandise, and sell out stadiums. Pro wrestling is in a supposed downturn coming off what was seen as it's peak in the last 90's, but the Americanmarket is so gigantic that the WWE can put on 3 shows a week and still leave room for TNA to carve out it's niche with Impact. That's EXACTLY what theUFC and American MMA needs.

Don't get it twisted. MMA is just so "hot" right now and is continuing to grow. But things like that always come to an end, no? Add in the slowprocess of state-by-state sanctioning, fighting negative perceptions in International markets (like they did in Germany recently), and Dana White has no choiceto market Brock Lesnar in manner that he does.

The marketing can only do so much. The fighters still have to win. Lyoto Machida is a perfect example of this. Lyoto isn't exactly the perfect fighter forthe UFC marketing machine. Sure, Anderson Silva can't speak English very well either, but he exudes a charisma in the right that allow people to connectwith him. When it gets down to it, Machida ran through people to eventually get the belt. No maninpulation from Dana White can "shape" that. Whiteis responsible for handing out the opportunities, but he has no say with what happens in the ring.

That's the difference.

For the record, I'm loving Brock's success. Just the sheer fact that he flips the UFC/MMA paradigm on it's head and is just ultimately polarizingmakes it way too entertaining not to like.

And believe me, this is great for MMA. Every single HW in the world is going to have to step their game up to figure that puzzle out. He may be the one personthat could motivate all parties to work towards Fedor in the UFC. Fedor vs. Brock or Fedor vs. "The guy that beat Brock" would be huge.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

Anyone know GSP and Alves' entrance songs?

gsp always comes out to some french canadian rap that i know nothing about but it always sounds good, and im pretty sure that alves came out to big things poppin again

K hopefully some french dude recognizes it and adds the songs to his wiki page.

just saw that Dana upped the prize for Best KO, Submission and fight of the night to $100,000 due to UFC 100....nice

Oh man I just got back home and rushed to look up the results...I truly missed some great fights but i'll catch it on replay.

My dude Hendo and GSP came out on top which i'm glad about...I have a little more respect for Alves.

I really don't like Brock's attitude, reminds me of the acting he used to do in the WWE. Hope Dana's not becoming a Vince McMahon Jr.

Akiyama vs Belcher - Fight of the Night

Henderson vs Bisping - KO of the Night

Lawlor vs Dollaway - Submission Of the Night

Dana White says Fedor Emelianenko will fight in the UFC, Brock Lesnar fight imminent
by Dann Stupp on Jul 12, 2009 at 5:30 am ET

Prior to this past Saturday's UFC 100 event, an underground movement took root and called for mixed-martial-arts fan who would attend the show to begin"Fedor!" chants throughout the night.

The thought, of course, was to make UFC executives well aware of the fans' desire to have Fedor Emelianenko, the world's top-ranked heavyweight andarguably the greatest MMA fighter in the division's history, fighting in the octagon.

The chants were never heard, but after UFC 100, UFC President Dana White said he wants Emelianenko in the UFC, that it's eventually going to happen, andthat a fight with Brock Lesnar is imminent.

Lesnar, the former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar and NCAA Division I national wrestling champion, picked up his third consecutive UFC victory andfirst-ever title defense with a dominant second-round TKO of interim title-holder Frank Mir in UFC 100's main event.

With Lesnar's current streak of wins over Heath Herring, then-champ Randy Couture and now Mir, many are looking to possible future opponents for theseemingly invincible ground-and-pound machine.

Emelianenko, the former longtime PRIDE heavyweight champion, is the man many see as most likely to topple Lesnar. At 30-1, with back-to-back Affliction winsover two former UFC champions (Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski) and a 26-0 record (with one no-contest) over the past nine years, many fans are clamoring forthe Russian fighter to take on the top talent in the world's premier fight organization.

"This Fedor thing has gone on and on and on," White said in the post-UFC 100 press conference. "Eventually, Fedor's going to be here. I wantFedor. I want him to come to the UFC and everything else.

"This guy (Brock Lesnar) just won the heavyweight title, and we'll end up getting that deal done. And then we'll do Brock vs. Fedor, and it'llbe a huge fight."

How soon could we such the fight?

"Who knows," White said. "He's obviously contractually obligated to fight (with Affliction). Once that's over, we'll figure itout."

UFC officials have met with Emelianenko and his representatives multiple times. However, the meetings proved far from productive and often left each sideblaming the other for the inability to get a deal done. The UFC said Emelianenko's demands were too outrageous, not necessarily from a monetary standpoint(though Emelianenko is believed to make at least $2 million per fight) but because a deal would essentially require the organization to enter the Russianmarket as business partners with Emelianenko's manager, Vadim Finkelchtein. Emelianenko's people say the UFC's contract demands are too restrictivewithout any allowances, for example, for Sambo competitions and would dictate all aspects of the fighter's career.

Concessions will be need to be made, and that's often led White to predict a slim chance of a deal coming to fruition. In fact, White has often criticizedthe fighter, going so far as saying Emelianenko "sucks" while mocking past recent opponents such as kickboxer Hong Man Choi and Matt Lindland, whonormally fights at middleweight.

However, White's tune has changed, and on Saturday, he spoke rather definitely about the fighter's future in the UFC.

Of course, that future could hinge on Emelianenko's upcoming Aug. 1 fight at "Affliction" Trilogy." There, Emelianenko meets another formerUFC champ, Josh Barnett, who many rank among the division's top three or four.

However, don't expect Barnett to get the same invitation to the UFC is he knocks off Emelianenko.

Why?

"No one's beating down my door to get Barnett," White said.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Lesnar vs Mir - TKO of the Night
St. Pierre vs Alves - Decision of the Night

you forgot the rest

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Lesnar vs Mir - TKO of the Night
St. Pierre vs Alves - Decision of the Night

you forgot the rest
I don't think those exist
laugh.gif
. Those "of theNight" awards are bonuses given to fighters.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

The fight probably wouldn't happen until Lesnar is done any way because of the stupid crap with the contract. BUT if Fedor fights Brock now, he has a lot more match ups that White can take advantage of then Brock. And if Brock is competitive against Fedor, White can stretch out a rematch. And I gotta say the heavyweight division is a lot better then it was before. Not saying it's one of the top divisions out there, it'll never be, but it's not as bad as you say it is with all the young guns coming up.

And have you seen any of Hunt's last few fights? For someone with such a good chin he's been getting hurt and finished pretty easily... Against guys with no business fighting a legit heavy...

And "Granddaddy" Couture would still give a lot of people problems, at heavy and light heavy...

It's subjective but the HW division is still weak. MMA needs the HW division to be like it was back in the UFC-Pride rivalry days.
You're right about Hunt the lst few fights but he'd still do better than Mir. For the lone fact that Lesnar wouldn't be able to smother Hunt by laying on top of him.
laugh.gif

I was a bigger fan of MMA back a few eyars ago when White had less control of the sport as a whole.
I still like watching the truly talented fighters like GSP, Silva, Fedor but MMA has been going downhill.

White just shapes and influences every fight/fighter in the UFC. There are plenty of fights that should've never been fought (ala Alves at GSP
laugh.gif

The more control White gets of MMA in America the worse it'll be. Lesnar is facilitating that by bringing in the numbskull (no offense
laugh.gif
*Sigh*

I couldn't disagree more, and IMHO you're looking at this from the wrong perspective.

"WWE fans" are some of the most loyal fans of any sport/entertainment genre. They watch the product at every opportunity, buy significant amounts of merchandise, and sell out stadiums. Pro wrestling is in a supposed downturn coming off what was seen as it's peak in the last 90's, but the American market is so gigantic that the WWE can put on 3 shows a week and still leave room for TNA to carve out it's niche with Impact. That's EXACTLY what the UFC and American MMA needs.

Don't get it twisted. MMA is just so "hot" right now and is continuing to grow. But things like that always come to an end, no? Add in the slow process of state-by-state sanctioning, fighting negative perceptions in International markets (like they did in Germany recently), and Dana White has no choice to market Brock Lesnar in manner that he does.

The marketing can only do so much. The fighters still have to win. Lyoto Machida is a perfect example of this. Lyoto isn't exactly the perfect fighter for the UFC marketing machine. Sure, Anderson Silva can't speak English very well either, but he exudes a charisma in the right that allow people to connect with him. When it gets down to it, Machida ran through people to eventually get the belt. No maninpulation from Dana White can "shape" that. White is responsible for handing out the opportunities, but he has no say with what happens in the ring.

That's the difference.

For the record, I'm loving Brock's success. Just the sheer fact that he flips the UFC/MMA paradigm on it's head and is just ultimately polarizing makes it way too entertaining not to like.

And believe me, this is great for MMA. Every single HW in the world is going to have to step their game up to figure that puzzle out. He may be the one person that could motivate all parties to work towards Fedor in the UFC. Fedor vs. Brock or Fedor vs. "The guy that beat Brock" would be huge.

We are looking at it from 2 different perspectives.
As with all things, the more it's opened up to a wider array of people the more the product needs to be diluted.

With White picking and choosing who fights who he inherently has the power to shape the sport. Machida was not a bad replacement because he had a pretyt largefolowing throughout his pro career.

I'm not one of those who hates Lesnar but look at his situation. It's all hype.
Lesnar has had 2 fights with what could be classified as a real HW contender (Mir) and now he's had such "success"? As far as I'm concernedLesnar's 1-1 against actual competition.

The UFC is a great hype machine but so was Boxing a few years back in the heavier divisions. We all know the state of it now.

Dan Henderson's title shot status downgraded to "could be" status despite UFC 100 win
by John Morgan on Jul 12, 2009 at 1:20 pm ET

LAS VEGAS - While several reports prior to Saturday night's UFC 100 middleweight clash between Dan Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Michael Bisping (17-2MMA, 7-2 UFC) suggested the bout would determine the next 185-pound title challenger, UFC president Dana White said at the evening's post-event pressconference that an immediate shot at the belt is no longer a sure thing.

Henderson was expected to fill that slot after a devastating knockout of "The Count" at 3:20 of the second round.

"Could be," White said when asked if Henderson was next in line for Anderson Silva. "We've got to figure out dates, times. [Silva] isfighting in August, and then we'll figure it out from there. We'll see what happens."

Silva is slated to fight Forrest Griffin in a light-heavyweight contest in the co-main event of "UFC 101: Declaration" on Aug. 8, four weeks fromnow. Provided the Brazilian is able to make it through the bout injury-free - certainly no guarantee in a fight with Griffin - "The Spider" couldcertainly meet "Hollywood" before the end of the year.

However, UFC 102 on Aug. 29 could also provide a potential contender for Silva, as Demian Maia (10-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) meets Nate Marquardt (28-8-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC).

Henderson is currently riding a three-fight win streak with victories over Bisping, Rich Franklin and Rousimar Palhares. The dual-weight-class star has statedif he isn't granted a title shot with Silva right away he will return to the light-heavyweight division.

As for the final leaping right hand of the contest - delivered by Henderson after Bisping had already been clearly knocked unconscious - White said he did notfeel there was any ill intentions on the 38-year-old's part, even after he said he threw the punch on purpose as a means of silencing the Brit'sever-present trash talk.

"[Henderson] said he was joking," White said. "I didn't think it was funny either, but Dan Henderson's a good guy."

Originally Posted by Bastitch

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
*Sigh*

"WWE fans" are some of the most loyal fans of any sport/entertainment genre. They watch the product at every opportunity, buy significant amounts of merchandise, and sell out stadiums. Pro wrestling is in a supposed downturn coming off what was seen as it's peak in the last 90's, but the American market is so gigantic that the WWE can put on 3 shows a week and still leave room for TNA to carve out it's niche with Impact. That's EXACTLY what the UFC and American MMA needs.

Don't get it twisted. MMA is just so "hot" right now and is continuing to grow. But things like that always come to an end, no? Add in the slow process of state-by-state sanctioning, fighting negative perceptions in International markets (like they did in Germany recently), and Dana White has no choice to market Brock Lesnar in manner that he does.

The marketing can only do so much. The fighters still have to win. Lyoto Machida is a perfect example of this. Lyoto isn't exactly the perfect fighter for the UFC marketing machine. Sure, Anderson Silva can't speak English very well either, but he exudes a charisma in the right that allow people to connect with him. When it gets down to it, Machida ran through people to eventually get the belt. No maninpulation from Dana White can "shape" that. White is responsible for handing out the opportunities, but he has no say with what happens in the ring.

That's the difference.

For the record, I'm loving Brock's success. Just the sheer fact that he flips the UFC/MMA paradigm on it's head and is just ultimately polarizing makes it way too entertaining not to like.

And believe me, this is great for MMA. Every single HW in the world is going to have to step their game up to figure that puzzle out. He may be the one person that could motivate all parties to work towards Fedor in the UFC. Fedor vs. Brock or Fedor vs. "The guy that beat Brock" would be huge.
We are looking at it from 2 different perspectives.
As with all things, the more it's opened up to a wider array of people the more the product needs to be diluted.

With White picking and choosing who fights who he inherently has the power to shape the sport. Machida was not a bad replacement because he had a pretyt large folowing throughout his pro career.

I'm not one of those who hates Lesnar but look at his situation. It's all hype.
Lesnar has had 2 fights with what could be calssified as a real HW contendor and now he's had such "success"?

The UFC is a great hype machine but so was Boxing a few years back in the heavier divisions. We all know the state of it now.

Joe Silva and the fighters/fighters management are the ones who pick the fights. Joe calls the fighters and gives them a potential list ofopponents and both fighters have to agree to fight each other. Dana never handles the match making, he's just the hype man.

And boxing's heavyweight division isn't in the state it's in now because of a "hype machine" you keep bringing up. There's just nogood heavyweights, at all. Not to mention the two top fighters are brothers and they will never fight each other.

Again, you are really reaching for some Dana bashing considering he's not even the one who makes the match ups.

Dan Henderson's title shot status downgraded to "could be" status despite UFC 100 win
by John Morgan on Jul 12, 2009 at 1:20 pm ET

LAS VEGAS - While several reports prior to Saturday night's UFC 100 middleweight clash between Dan Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) suggested the bout would determine the next 185-pound title challenger, UFC president Dana White said at the evening's post-event press conference that an immediate shot at the belt is no longer a sure thing.

Henderson was expected to fill that slot after a devastating knockout of "The Count" at 3:20 of the second round.

"Could be," White said when asked if Henderson was next in line for Anderson Silva. "We've got to figure out dates, times. [Silva] is fighting in August, and then we'll figure it out from there. We'll see what happens."

Silva is slated to fight Forrest Griffin in a light-heavyweight contest in the co-main event of "UFC 101: Declaration" on Aug. 8, four weeks from now. Provided the Brazilian is able to make it through the bout injury-free - certainly no guarantee in a fight with Griffin - "The Spider" could certainly meet "Hollywood" before the end of the year.

However, UFC 102 on Aug. 29 could also provide a potential contender for Silva, as Demian Maia (10-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) meets Nate Marquardt (28-8-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC).

Henderson is currently riding a three-fight win streak with victories over Bisping, Rich Franklin and Rousimar Palhares. The dual-weight-class star has stated if he isn't granted a title shot with Silva right away he will return to the light-heavyweight division.

As for the final leaping right hand of the contest - delivered by Henderson after Bisping had already been clearly knocked unconscious - White said he did not feel there was any ill intentions on the 38-year-old's part, even after he said he threw the punch on purpose as a means of silencing the Brit's ever-present trash talk.

"[Henderson] said he was joking," White said. "I didn't think it was funny either, but Dan Henderson's a good guy."
That's how it should be IMO.

Quick question, Mir started talking trash first?
That was the reasoning why lesnar shut him down with the fist bump before the match started n everything?

Joe Silva and the fighters/fighters management are the ones who pick the fights. Joe calls the fighters and gives them a potential list of opponents and both fighters have to agree to fight each other. Dana never handles the match making, he's just the hype man.

And boxing's heavyweight division isn't in the state it's in now because of a "hype machine" you keep bringing up. There's just no good heavyweights, at all. Not to mention the two top fighters are brothers and they will never fight each other.

Again, you are really reaching for some Dana bashing considering he's not even the one who makes the match ups.

That's complete $%!+$!%!.

Of course, there's a lot of speculation on how manipulative White is exactly when it comes to certain fights/fighters but there's enough evidence outthere that that it ain't no Joe Silva who has the final say.

White treats it's as an entertainment business and that's ther's nothing wrong about that.
However, that doesn't mean that people have to buy into the UFC hype machine.
Just take it for what it is.

Joe Silva and the fighters/fighters management are the ones who pick the fights. Joe calls the fighters and gives them a potential list of opponents and both fighters have to agree to fight each other. Dana never handles the match making, he's just the hype man.

And boxing's heavyweight division isn't in the state it's in now because of a "hype machine" you keep bringing up. There's just no good heavyweights, at all. Not to mention the two top fighters are brothers and they will never fight each other.

That's complete %%@**+++.

Of course, there's a lot of speculation on just exactly how manipulative White is when it comes to certain fights/fighters but there's enough evidence out there that that it ain't no Joe Silva who has the final say.

laugh.gif
. Okay. I have seen and trained with fighters who havegone through the whole match making process. Most recently Nate Diaz. I know how this works... You're reaching again. You're going by hearsay whileI'm going by facts. White has almost no say on who fights. He may try to sway the fighter towards a certain opponent, but that's it. Just stop,I've been pretty respectful towards your opinions so far but this is getting ridiculous... If every fan had your mindset MMA would be horrible shape and itwould never be as big as it is. Please stop trying to pass off your conspiracy stories as facts
happy.gif
Quick question, Mir started talking trash first?
That was the reasoning why lesnar shut him down with the fist bump before the match started n everything?
They both did. I don't know why people keep thinking Mir talked the most !%#%.

Back
Top Bottom