Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

And you can bash pro wrasslers and their fans all you want, but MMA came from pro wrestling and has many connections to it.

I disagree, before MMA, there was Vale Tudo, before that there was Pankration.

The heavy weight division was horrible back then. UFC couldn't compete with Pride in that aspect, it was WAY to one sided. I would much rather have the talent pool be in a market I can watch regularly like the UFC then have it in Pride. And Pride was a horribly ran company. Too many cans because Pride tried way to hard to put their Japanese fighters in the lime light when they shouldn't even be caught dead in the ring.

I respect your opinion because a lot of people feel the say way you do but I don't understand how someone who took MMA, gave it regulations and is expanding it as much as White has is bad for the sport. I love Pride and MMA back in the day too but there's a reason why they faltered. Dana is the only smart business man in MMA right now. And what reasoning do you have for Alves not fighting GSP. He was easily the No. 1 contender.

And you can bash pro wrasslers and their fans all you want, but MMA came from pro wrestling and has many connections to it.

The HW division was damn good back then but you're right in that it was all in Pride. Don't see why that makes a diff. though. I wouldn't carewhere the HW's were centered. So long as we could get a decent number of great ones. Nowadays, it's complete garbage.

As for the GSP v. Alves fight some were proposing (before the fight) that Alves couldn't even deal with Fitch's wrestling so how was he to deal withGSP's? I was skeptical of their argument but they turned out to be 100% correct. I guess I bought into the UFC hype too on that one. Alves really had nochance apart from a lucky haymaker or knee. That wasn't even a fight earlier, was it? I mean 5 round sof GSP beating up on Alves and around midway rd 2 iswas obvious that Alves really didn't know how to coutner GSP's wrestling.
Watch the Fitch Alves fight. Alves was horrible countering Fitch's wrestling in that fight as well and Fitch is no GSP.

Alves did beat Hughes or ......Grandaddy Hughes.
laugh.gif

White is a genius at merketing.

This PPV only had one real fight. Lesnar v Mir.

Anyone really think Bisping was going to win?
A lot of us got got on the GSP Alves fight. Alves had, at best, a puncher's chance from the start. In reality that match up was never close at all.

To top it all off, the 2 fights that were already decided way before they atarted were more entertaining thn the fight whicha ctually was a decent match up.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

I disagree, before MMA, there was Vale Tudo, before that there was Pankration.
You're right about Vale Tudo, but I'm not including Pankration, that is wayyy to damn far back
laugh.gif
. Shooto was played just as much of role in developing MMA IMO compared to ValeTudo.

The HW division was damn good back then but you're right in that it was all in Pride. Don't see why that makes a diff. though. I wouldn't care where the HW's were centered. So long as we could get a decent number of great ones. Nowadays, it's complete garbage.

As for the GSP v. Alves fight some were proposing (before the fight) that Alves couldn't even deal with Fitch's wrestling so how was he to deal with GSP's? I was skeptical of their argument but they turned out to be 100% correct. I guess I bought into the UFC hype too on that one. Alves really had no chance apart from a lucky haymaker or knee. That wasn't even a fight earlier, was it? I mean 5 round sof GSP beating up on Alves and around midway rd 2 is was obvious that Alves really didn't know how to coutner GSP's wrestling.
Watch the Fitch Alves fight. Alves was horrible against countering wrestling in that fight as well and Fitch is no GSP.

Alves did beat Hughes or ......Grandaddy Hughes.
laugh.gif

White is a genius at merketing.

This PPV only had one real fight. Lesnar v Mir.

Anyone really think Bisping was going to win?
A lot of us got got on the GSP Alves fight. Alves had, at best, a puncher's chance from the start. In reality that match up was never close at all.

To top it all off, the 2 fights that were already decided way before they atarted were more entertaining thn the fight whicha ctually was a decent match up.
laugh.gif

The heavyweight fighters now are much more well rounded then before. Just give them time to develop.

And it's really unfair to blame the UFC for how damn good GSP is. Alves was EASILY the No. 1 contender regardless of the org. And yes Fitch was taking downAlves, but that was damn near 3 years ago. Alves isn't anywhere near the fighter he was back then.

And yeah, I thought Bisping had a chance to win. Whoops, guess I was wrong. I still remember picking Hendo to win thatfight though...

And I'm trying to figure out what Dana has to do with all this, considering all those fights made sense from the beginning... Or what you're talkingabout has to do with our previous conversation. You wanna talk about how this match up wasn't a good match up but yet all these fights made sense. Alveswas the No. 1 fighter at 170, Mir just killed Nog and had beaten Brock which made sense, Bisping and Hendo were both lined up for title shots and this was away for to clear out some contenders (I've came to conclusion that Okami will never, ever get a title shot
laugh.gif
tired.gif
).

If you want me to be honest, you are really reaching for a reason to bash Dana, for no apparent reason at all...

i keep watching the fight over and over again cause i believe dan was thinking to himself "he's not on my level" the entire fight and he wasright

bisping %+%#$$ up big time though, dan got in close with an inside leg kick and bisping dropped his hands to push dan away, BIG MISTAKE

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

i keep watching the fight over and over again cause i believe dan was thinking to himself "he's not on my level" the entire fight and he was right

bisping %+%#$$ up big time though, dan got in close with an inside leg kick and bisping dropped his hands to push dan away, BIG MISTAKE
So glad this fight unfolded the way it did. It wasn't even that big of a fight to be on "UFC 100" but it was the only fight I wasreally looking forward to.

I haven't seen this many people as salty about a win since Lidell/Couture 2. You know Brock is doing a good job when people react to his antics like some12 year olds at Raw is War. You woulda thought he won by the finger poke of doom
laugh.gif

So he used his muscle to bully Mir? The guy played to his strengths and executed his game plan well. You gotta respect that. The post fight antics are w/e. Itjust made me laugh and like him more if anything.

Great ppv. The Henderson KO and the extra gift at the end were two of the hardest direct hits I've seen in a long time. The Japanese singer/model'smatch was the most entertaining of the night. Brock handled it. Mir just got it handed to him. I only got bored seeing GSP take that guy down 9 (or 10?) times,and I didn't even watch the match after Lesnar's.

Originally Posted by Burn916

I haven't seen this many people as salty about a win since Lidell/Couture 2. You know Brock is doing a good job when people react to his antics like some 12 year olds at Raw is War. You woulda thought he won by the finger poke of doom
laugh.gif

So he used his muscle to bully Mir? The guy played to his strengths and executed his game plan well. You gotta respect that. The post fight antics are w/e. It just made me laugh and like him more if anything.
Straight saltiness on my part yes, I don't like Brock at all but yes he's a skilled person, but let's not act like his size wasn'ta huge factor in this. I just wish Mir was that big...

^ I'm just saying, you guys are mad knowledgeable...but I gotta call it out when I see it
laugh.gif

On another note, I NEED to see the Lawlor v Dollaway fight..."Who Let the Dogs Out" with Petruzelli on a leash + Dollaway getting subbed again
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Burn916

^ I'm just saying, you guys are mad knowledgeable...but I gotta call it out when I see it
laugh.gif

On another note, I NEED to see the Lawlor v Dollaway fight..."Who Let the Dogs Out" with Petruzelli on a leash + Dollaway getting subbed again
laugh.gif
Look, let me be salty
laugh.gif

It's nice to see such a following of MMA on this site. I normally don't venture to S/T but I was curious to see if there was any sort of threaddedicated to Pride/Dream/Affliction/UFC. Pleased to see that there was indeed.

I've been practicing Muay Thai Kickboxing for twelve years. After a few victories I enlisted in an "anything goes" match. Shortly thereafter(first loss) I realized I needed to sharpen my ground game.

Now I possess quite a large frame so normally I'm able to outmuscle my opponents but in the bout previously mentioned... I found myself unable.

I have since sharpened my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu skills for 8 years and am rapidly approaching brown belt.

I have no intention on competing (beyond my previous competitions) but hey I'm a good fighter who works in the corporate world... Cinderella story?!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

^ yeah we have a few BJJ Practitioners including myself..12 years of Muay Thai though, that's impressive.
Yeah ever since I was expelled for delivering a liver kick followed by a right elbow which grazed his chin and knocked him out I've been informal classes. My stand up is satisfactory but I definitely need to focus on my ground game. I figure in 5 or 6 years I'd be a formidable contender. (Onceagain, I'm really not looking to compete just want to defend myself) But you never know!

Brock is a genius. He is the new bad boy HW champ of UFC. He's the new Mike Tyson. Everyone will love to hate him and everyone will buy every PPV he'son praying he will lose. He will be making that $$$$$

As much as you want to say how much of a jerk he was, he gave what Frank Mir what he was asking for after talking smack for MONTHS. Frank Mir with the"Having Brock Lesnar on you is like having your little sister jump on your back and pull your hair." Looks like you little sister MURDERED you.

No one complained when Dan Henderson said the punch after the KO was to shut Bisping's mouth for good. Tonight was and example of why you don't OD ontalking smack before your fight. It just motivated Dan and Brock tonight to destroy their opponents.

^
laugh.gif
i told my friend the EXACT same thing at the end of the night

but yo... whos this fedor guy everyone keeps talking about?
nerd.gif

great fights

akiyama did what i thought he would do, belcher would not give up and it was a good fight.
hendo was OD. beast. bisping was no match. hes on another lvl.
gsp was too good.
brock was OG.

^^ I wanted him to win but he got worked. Very classy move when he raised GSP's arm after the fight tho..

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

Originally Posted by columbiasneaks

^
laugh.gif
i told my friend the EXACT same thing at the end of the night

but yo... whos this fedor guy everyone keeps talking about?
nerd.gif
indifferent.gif

for real?

just playing
laugh.gif

he is considered the best heavyweight in MMA by a mile for many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedor_Emelianenko
eek.gif
I havn't follow MMA/UFC for many years ......havn'theard Fedor Emelianenko name in awhile! Fedor was a BEAST ...no joke ...i think with his smarts and submission moves he can take down the big Brockgiant.
pimp.gif

BTW...i heard Cro-Cop coming back to UFC? Him and Fedor emelianenko were my favorite fighters when i use to follow PRIDE.

Back
Top Bottom