Official Miami Heat Offseason Thread: EPIC OFFSEASON! YES WE DID!

[h1]Bosh to join Wade in signing with Heat[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports 22 minutes ago

Dwyane Wade(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes) have decided to sign with the Miami Heat while continuing to recruit LeBron James(notes) to help them form an All-Star triumvirate that threatens to shift the NBA’s balance of power, two sources with knowledge of the plans told Yahoo! Sports.

“They think they’ve got a real chance to pull this off with LeBron,

[h1]Source: Free agents Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh will land with Heat[/h1]
The Miami Heat got its man. And another man.

NBA free agency has turned into a win-win situation for Pat Riley.

The Sun Sentinel has confirmed, through a source close to Dwyane Wade, that instead of losing the free-agent All-Star guard, as had been the concern in recent days, the Heat not only will retain Wade, but also add Toronto Raptors free-agent power forward Chris Bosh.

The source, with direct insight into Wade's thinking, confirmed that scenario Wednesday morning.

Free-agent contracts cannot be signed before Thursday's start of the NBA signing period.

Late Tuesday night, the Raptors began making calls amid concern that Bosh might sign outright with the Heat, after Bosh previously had said he only would accept a sign-and-trade transaction to the Heat.

The Sun Sentinel has confirmed that the Raptors tried to reach inside the Heat organization, amid such concerns.

Still, unclear Wednesday morning, was the means by which Bosh would be retained, either in a trade from the Raptors or as an outright signing.

By signing directly with the Heat, Bosh would max out at $96 million over five years. Arriving in a sign-and-trade, Bosh could receive as much as $125 million over six years, the same amount as Wade will receive.

On the eve of the July 1 free-agency period, a leading agent told the Sun Sentinel that the Heat was the overwhelming frontrunner to land Bosh. That agent said Wednesday he was not surprised by the outcome.

Tuesday, a source close to the situation told the Sun Sentinel that once the Heat had an assurance from Bosh, Wade would re-sign with the only team he has played for over his seven NBA seasons.

Agent Henry Thomas told the Sun Sentinel on Tuesday said that Bosh and Wade would be making their decisions independent of LeBron James' plans to announce his free-agent intentions on Thursday at 9 p.m.

The Heat had been holding out hope as late as Tuesday that James still might be landed as part of a Bosh-Wade package.

Bosh and Wade each are eligible for contracts that start at $16.6 million for 2010-11.

Bosh was selected with the No. 4 pick of the 2003 NBA Draft out of Georgia Tech, with Wade selected at No. 5. Riley had been interested in drafting Bosh ahead of Wade at the time.

A week ago, on the eve of the league's negotiating period, Wade hardly was considered a concern at all. His re-signing was thought to be a formality.

By the weekend, the All-Star guard had emerged as a code-red concern, after two apparently productive meetings with his hometown Chicago Bulls.

Yet on the eve of Thursday's start to the league's offseason signing period, a source familiar with the process, said regardless of any other moves made by Riley, if the Heat was able to secure Bosh, Wade will sign the six-year, $125 million contract the team has tendered.

The source close to Wade confirmed Wednesday that such now would be the case with Wade.

Wade had remained in contact with Bosh, but Bosh's reluctance to accept anything short of an equivalent maximum was considered to be hampering an agreement.

Asked if James' timetable impacted Wade or Bosh, Thomas said Tuesday night, "No, not really."

In order to get Bosh a maximum, six-year deal, the Heat has to get Toronto to agree to a sign-and-trade transaction.

That meant the Heat and Raptors having to find common ground, with the Heat's options limited to offering packages that could include forward Michael Beasley and guard Mario Chalmers, its only two players under contract, and draft choices, including one it holds from the Raptors.

"I figure Bosh is trying to get the extra year, so you've got the sign and trade there," said a player agent whose other clients have been put on hold until James, Wade and Bosh are signed. "It's frustrating for everybody. For the teams, it has to be crazy."

Contrary to broadcast reports, the Raptors had not summarily dismissed overtures from the Heat. Toronto had at least seven sign-and-trade offers from various suitors. While one of them was from James' Cavaliers, Cleveland was not necessarily a prime landing spot on Bosh's wish list.

But then there also was that word late Tuesday night that Bosh just might prove amenable to the straight five-year, $96 million signing with the Heat.

That's when the process truly took off, with Riley seizing control.

In South Florida, A Bosh-Wade pairing leaves the Heat in excess of an additional $10 million in salary-cap space, unless Toronto also requires the Heat to take back additional salary in such a trade.

That means if Miami Thrice is out with James, it would push the Heat toward several lesser-tier possibilities, including Dallas Mavericks center Brendan Haywood, who visited this past weekend with the Heat.

That extra cap flexibility would mean the Heat would not have to renounce its rights to all of its 2010 free agents, possibly putting Udonis Haslem, Dorell Wright, Jermaine O'Neal and Quentin Richardson back into play for roster spots or sign-and-trade transactions.

Agent Tony Dutt initially was going to get Charlotte Bobcats free-agent point guard Raymond Felton in front of the Heat this week, but has opted to allow the Heat to complete its prime business first.

"We talked to them already and we're just going to wait and kind of see how the balls fall," he said. "From what they tell us, they have big interest and it's just a matter of different scenarios playing out. We definitely will explore it when it's the right time. We have had good communication."

That time could now be at hand.

For his part, Bosh, who has endured a losing situation in Toronto, appears to be relishing the process.

He first offered Tuesday from his Twitter account. "The days are passing by a lot quicker now. It's always like that when you have to make a BIG decision."

He later posted to his account, "Today is a GREAT day!"

That was followed by a post that read, "Good night everyone! There's still a lot on my mind. Hopefully something to help me will come in my dreams one of these nights."

Apparently, something did.

Like Wade, Bosh had also met with the Bulls, New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets during the free-agent negotiation period. With that group, including the Heat considered the only legitimate contenders.

By Ira Winderman South Florida Sun Sentinel

toast1985 wrote:
*Sit backs and watch bandwagon*

more bandwagon fans will go to the KNICKS when Bron signs then the heat.
grin.gif

i aint jumping on no damn bandwagon but ill be rooting for my boy bosh from up here in canada
frown.gif

get him that title miami
pimp.gif

Great pickup for the heat, but unless they surround those 2 with a formidable roster then bias as i may I'll say that orlando is still the team to beat in the southeast division. Orlando thus far still has the better roster and if the heat don't manage to get james then its a sure thing. They way i see it playing out is.......

1.  Orlando
2.  Miami
3.  Atlanta
4.  Charlotte
5.  Washington

How much cap space do the Heat have after signing Bosh and Wade? Time to go after a center like Haywood and shooters.

Heat fans, Plz dont start getting big headed. That's how NT turned on Cavs fans

wallacesports

Hearing that LeBron flying to South Florida tonight to dine with Wade, Bosh. Could be blockbuster info. Or BS.

Good %+++ Heat fans you guys should have a really good squad next season. Maybe we'll see you in the Finals
wink.gif

Waits for all the 2006 bandwagon fans to return though
nerd.gif

Roster: Miami Heat Fans

TrillipinoTrapstar
humpasaurus rex
therealjondoe
black chiney
Will1NC
Dade Boy
H3at23
maimin2
Young Triz
JordanDon23
Speak up23
nbafatso
miamib30514
KayGeeDaGr8
RunsHouse23
rawjs
toast1985
roboski

Don't go to Miami Lebron. It would be just unfair for the entire league. Props to the Heat.

put me up on that heat fan list...lived in coral springs my whole life, and even living in orlando cant stop me from rootin on the heat....this is our year...

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

^ and so it begins
roll.gif
roll.gif

and so it begins what...probably been to more heat games than a majority of the people here....was on the heat since the zo/timmy days...hop off buddy

Back
Top Bottom