[::Official Lakers Offseason Thread | Vol. Watch out world...we might sign Othello Hunter::]

Originally Posted by hunter2k4

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

^Lol I can't believe you guys think that a coach that has never won a title can get a vet team to buy in especially in LA.
if that's your only criteria, then none of the other candidates were going to get the vets to buy in
Think about it dude we are a vet heavy team coming off two titles and you expect them to listen to Mike Brown? Hell Brian Shaw can at least say "Hey, I was in the trenches with you guys throughout the years, lets add some new things and turn it around." What can Mike Brown say? "Hey Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Bynum I made it to 60 wins and made it to the finals once and got swept."

Originally Posted by Jeuce

If you think about it ANYONE other than Phil Jackson was going to be a down grade anways.  I'll give the man a shot.

When you're just standing around while your assistant coach leads the team in crunch time is
sick.gif
x
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Jeuce

If you think about it ANYONE other than Phil Jackson was going to be a down grade anways.  I'll give the man a shot.

When you're just standing around while your assistant coach leads the team in crunch time is
sick.gif
x
30t6p3b.gif

The revolving door for the Los Angeles Lakers franchise is ready to start turning.

On the same day Mike Brown agreed in principle to a four-year, $18.25 million deal to replace Phil Jackson as the next coach of the Lakers, multiple sources told ESPNLosAngeles.com that[..]istant general manager Ronnie Lester will not be brought back when his contract expires at the end of June.

Lester just completed his 10th season as[..]istant GM, serving under general manager Mitch Kupchak. The 52-year-old Lester's relationship with the team spans more than 25 years dating back to the 1984-85 season when he signed as a free agent and played the final two seasons of his injury-shortened NBA career with the Lakers, winning a championship in 1985.

He has been with the purple and gold virtually ever since, signing on as the team's primary scout for the Midwest region of the United States in 1987-88, one year after retiring because of persistent knee injuries.

Lester is credited as the scout on the front line representing the organization when the Lakers got their first hard look at the then 17-year-old Andrew Bynum at a workout in New York in 2005.

Apart from Lester, the Lakers have also informed more than a dozen scouts, training staff members and video staff personnel that their contracts will not be renewed when they expire at the end of June as well, as first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

The layoffs first appeared to be a cost-cutting measure by the Lakers in light of the potential lockout that could occur July 1 if the NBA owners and players'[..]ociation cannot finalize a new collective bargaining agreement by then. But, while it initially seemed like there was potential for the employees to be rehired when the possible drawn-out labor unrest is settled, the growing sense is the team is using this offseason to cut ties with the Jackson days and turn the page on the next era of Lakers basketball.

Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

The revolving door for the Los Angeles Lakers franchise is ready to start turning.

On the same day Mike Brown agreed in principle to a four-year, $18.25 million deal to replace Phil Jackson as the next coach of the Lakers, multiple sources told ESPNLosAngeles.com that[..]istant general manager Ronnie Lester will not be brought back when his contract expires at the end of June.

Lester just completed his 10th season as[..]istant GM, serving under general manager Mitch Kupchak. The 52-year-old Lester's relationship with the team spans more than 25 years dating back to the 1984-85 season when he signed as a free agent and played the final two seasons of his injury-shortened NBA career with the Lakers, winning a championship in 1985.

He has been with the purple and gold virtually ever since, signing on as the team's primary scout for the Midwest region of the United States in 1987-88, one year after retiring because of persistent knee injuries.

Lester is credited as the scout on the front line representing the organization when the Lakers got their first hard look at the then 17-year-old Andrew Bynum at a workout in New York in 2005.

Apart from Lester, the Lakers have also informed more than a dozen scouts, training staff members and video staff personnel that their contracts will not be renewed when they expire at the end of June as well, as first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

The layoffs first appeared to be a cost-cutting measure by the Lakers in light of the potential lockout that could occur July 1 if the NBA owners and players'[..]ociation cannot finalize a new collective bargaining agreement by then. But, while it initially seemed like there was potential for the employees to be rehired when the possible drawn-out labor unrest is settled, the growing sense is the team is using this offseason to cut ties with the Jackson days and turn the page on the next era of Lakers basketball.

Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

ehhh this is kobe we're talking about. Every challenge he's been met with, he's found a way to get over the hump. Now he has to show he can win without Phil. They'll figure it out. And besides at the end of the day, just because he's the coach, doesnt mean they have to listen. Kobe and fish know plenty of plays. Mike will say what he has to say, then KB of fish will get out there and run audibles if they have to lol.

I honestly say I was incredibly surprised by this decision. Never expeted this. But I'm over the initial shock, and I've acceted it, time to move on. We're too good as a team to just fold with every little wrinkle. We'll be fine. KB said he talks to phil all the time, I'm sure he'll offer words of encouragement.

Wish we could've got Coach K.

ehhh this is kobe we're talking about. Every challenge he's been met with, he's found a way to get over the hump. Now he has to show he can win without Phil. They'll figure it out. And besides at the end of the day, just because he's the coach, doesnt mean they have to listen. Kobe and fish know plenty of plays. Mike will say what he has to say, then KB of fish will get out there and run audibles if they have to lol.

I honestly say I was incredibly surprised by this decision. Never expeted this. But I'm over the initial shock, and I've acceted it, time to move on. We're too good as a team to just fold with every little wrinkle. We'll be fine. KB said he talks to phil all the time, I'm sure he'll offer words of encouragement.

Wish we could've got Coach K.

Originally Posted by NoReasonableDoubt

Originally Posted by Furrell

The Buss family is truly incompetent.

Jim Buss is, not Jerry Buss and I haven't heard anything bad about Jeanie so yall need to relax. Jerry Buss is the greatest/smartest owner of all time so please give some respect where it's due.
He's an idiot for letting Jim Buss make decisions...

Originally Posted by NoReasonableDoubt

Originally Posted by Furrell

The Buss family is truly incompetent.

Jim Buss is, not Jerry Buss and I haven't heard anything bad about Jeanie so yall need to relax. Jerry Buss is the greatest/smartest owner of all time so please give some respect where it's due.
He's an idiot for letting Jim Buss make decisions...

Lakers should’ve consulted Kobe on Brown hire

The idea that Kobe Bryant would’ve ever called LeBron James for a confidential scouting report on Mike Brown is sheer fantasy. They don’t share much of a relationship, and even less a common interest in fortifying each other with the best possible coach for a championship chase. Why would they trust each other’s referrals? James wants the Los Angeles Lakers to fail, just as Bryant does the Miami Heat.

For Bryant, there was never time to consider Brown’s candidacy as Lakers coach because sources close to him say that he was never asked about the candidates to replace Phil Jackson. The Buss family promised they would proceed this way, without the consultation of the most important person in the franchise.

These are partnerships in the NBA, and Bryant, with five championships, should’ve been part of the process. Bryant didn’t deserve the chance to choose the next coach, nor did he have the inclination. In the end, such an arrangement makes for an impossible dynamic between an indebted coach and a star player.

Still, Bryant happens to be one of the sharpest basketball minds in the NBA, an ability to see the game in its most overt and subtle ways. So why wouldn’t you want Bryant’s input? Why wouldn’t you want to lay out to him the plan and vision of returning Bryant and these Lakers to championship basketball?

Mostly, Lakers vice president Jim Buss had a habit of exacerbating Jackson, and he’ll regret it should that be the basis of his relationship with Bryant now.

The San Antonio Spurs wouldn’t hire a coach without discussing names with Tim Duncan. Steve Nash gets immense input – probably too much – with the Phoenix Suns. Those two aren’t twentysomething’s at the apex, but they should still be afforded the chance to have names pushed past them. Bryant? The Lakers can still win titles with him. He’s no ceremonial franchise player. All they had to do was say, “Hey, what’s our feeling on Rick Adelman? Mike Brown? We’re balancing these strengths and weaknesses. What do you think?

Lakers should’ve consulted Kobe on Brown hire

The idea that Kobe Bryant would’ve ever called LeBron James for a confidential scouting report on Mike Brown is sheer fantasy. They don’t share much of a relationship, and even less a common interest in fortifying each other with the best possible coach for a championship chase. Why would they trust each other’s referrals? James wants the Los Angeles Lakers to fail, just as Bryant does the Miami Heat.

For Bryant, there was never time to consider Brown’s candidacy as Lakers coach because sources close to him say that he was never asked about the candidates to replace Phil Jackson. The Buss family promised they would proceed this way, without the consultation of the most important person in the franchise.

These are partnerships in the NBA, and Bryant, with five championships, should’ve been part of the process. Bryant didn’t deserve the chance to choose the next coach, nor did he have the inclination. In the end, such an arrangement makes for an impossible dynamic between an indebted coach and a star player.

Still, Bryant happens to be one of the sharpest basketball minds in the NBA, an ability to see the game in its most overt and subtle ways. So why wouldn’t you want Bryant’s input? Why wouldn’t you want to lay out to him the plan and vision of returning Bryant and these Lakers to championship basketball?

Mostly, Lakers vice president Jim Buss had a habit of exacerbating Jackson, and he’ll regret it should that be the basis of his relationship with Bryant now.

The San Antonio Spurs wouldn’t hire a coach without discussing names with Tim Duncan. Steve Nash gets immense input – probably too much – with the Phoenix Suns. Those two aren’t twentysomething’s at the apex, but they should still be afforded the chance to have names pushed past them. Bryant? The Lakers can still win titles with him. He’s no ceremonial franchise player. All they had to do was say, “Hey, what’s our feeling on Rick Adelman? Mike Brown? We’re balancing these strengths and weaknesses. What do you think?

If Jim Buss is making decisions now, then God help us the day that Jerry Buss passes away.
I bet he's even boinking that ex-cowboys cheerleader/new "Lakers employee".  
30t6p3b.gif

If Jim Buss is making decisions now, then God help us the day that Jerry Buss passes away.
I bet he's even boinking that ex-cowboys cheerleader/new "Lakers employee".  
30t6p3b.gif

^Lol I can't believe you guys think that a coach that has never won a title can get a vet team to buy in especially in LA.
if that's your only criteria, then none of the other candidates were going to get the vets to buy in
Think about it dude we are a vet heavy team coming off two titles and you expect them to listen to Mike Brown? Hell Brian Shaw can at least say "Hey, I was in the trenches with you guys throughout the years, lets add some new things and turn it around." What can Mike Brown say? "Hey Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Bynum I made it to 60 wins and made it to the finals once and got swept."
I agree with you 100% and that's exactly how i feel about the whole situation and that's what I worried about when they talked about Shaw.  A ''vet heavy team'' like you say needs a coach with stature that demands respect and I don't see Brown as being that guy.  My only observation was that none of the other candidates had won a ring either which was what you pointed as the reason Mike Brown wasn't gonna get the attention of his players.  

I agree with you 100% and that's exactly how i feel about the whole situation and that's what I worried about when they talked about Shaw.  A ''vet heavy team'' like you say needs a coach with stature that demands respect and I don't see Brown as being that guy.  My only observation was that none of the other candidates had won a ring either which was what you pointed as the reason Mike Brown wasn't gonna get the attention of his players.  

Serious question: In the last two seasons, what did laker fans have to say about mike brown when they were analyzing CLE in anticipation of a potential finals matchup? If it was anything bad, then how can you cosign this hiring?

Serious question: In the last two seasons, what did laker fans have to say about mike brown when they were analyzing CLE in anticipation of a potential finals matchup? If it was anything bad, then how can you cosign this hiring?

Originally Posted by SneakerFr

How is this a serious question when it makes no sense? 

Originally Posted by grittyman20

How does it make no sense? Several of my friends are laker fans. They talked all kinda garbage about Mike Brown the past 2 seasons cause they thought it would be Kobe vs. Bron in the finals & they were breaking down CLE's team from all angles. And now that he's their coach, they're cosigning the hire, and I'm curious to see if any nt'ers are same way.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

How does it make no sense? Several of my friends are laker fans. They talked all kinda garbage about Mike Brown the past 2 seasons cause they thought it would be Kobe vs. Bron in the finals & they were breaking down CLE's team from all angles. And now that he's their coach, they're cosigning the hire, and I'm curious to see if any nt'ers are same way.

Back
Top Bottom