[::OFFICIAL LAKERS 2010-11' SEASON THREAD Vol. It Was Fun While It Lasted::]

I just hate "man oh man"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kookcle

First it was Paul Sunderland who keeps saying "Los Angeles Lakers" instead of just "Lakers"
laugh.gif
..so annoying
Joel Meyers ,whoever is on the TV screen, always brings up the  age,school and hometown....

" He's a young man out of the Valley who went to UCLA.....or .....He's a 26 year old guy from Arizona...blablabbla"

it got annoying after a while
laugh.gif
I'll give you Sunderland, but the hate for Meyers is surprising to me. I think he's an excellent play by play guy, and Spero seems overrated. He does have that "voice", but I don't get what the fuss is about him. Meyers knows his stuff through and through, I think it's a shame they're ditching him and I feel for him. His insight was appreciated by me I didn't mind him giving some back ground on players. I have no idea how that could be a bad thing
eyes.gif

We'll see what Spero does in a television role, and what sort of insight he drops. It's kind of hard to do that on the radio when you have to describe a million more things. No time for rattling off random facts.

You were appreciated Joel
pimp.gif

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasolis a four-time All-Star and two-time NBA champion, but opponentscontinue to choose the same word to identify the 7-foot Spaniard: soft.

The latest to make the claim is the New York Knicks' Amare Stoudemire.

996.jpg

Gasol

Making a recent publicappearance at a Foot Locker retail store, Stoudemire was asked what itwas like to play against Gasol, with the emcee noting Gasol's "soft"reputation as part of the query.

"He's still soft," Stoudemiresaid with a grin and a shrug. "But, he's a good player, you know what Imean? But he also has help down there. He has help down there in Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, those 7-footers down there. So he's got some supporting cast."

Last month, Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins took a similar shot at the Lakers' starting power forward.

"Idon't like Pau Gasol or Phil Jackson," Perkins told ESPN the Magazine."Phil is arrogant. Pau is soft. Kobe tries to bring out his toughness,but he's still soft."

Lakers forwards Odom and Ron Artest were informed of the latest talk against Gasol as they changed in the locker room before Tuesday's game against Utah.

"Pau got moves. He don't have to be hard. That's why he got us," said a shirtless Artest as he flexed his chest and arm muscles.

"How are you soft and average 10 rebounds?" chimed in Odom.

Gasolis sixth in the league in rebounds per game this season, averaging 10.2boards to go with his 18.9 points per game scoring average.

Artest didn't let the moment pass without throwing a zinger back at Stoudemire.

"Amare posed on the front of [a magazine] butt naked!" Artest said. "OK, is that tough?"

An unclothed Stoudemire appeared in the ESPN the Magazine's annual "Body Issue" in October.

Jackson offered a simple solution for Gasol to shed the soft label.

[h4]More on the Lakers[/h4]
lal.gif

For more news and notes on the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky brothers. Blog

"Win another championship," Jackson said. "Just go out and do it again. That keeps people quiet really quick."

It'sworth noting Gasol and the Lakers eliminated both Perkins (when he wason Boston) and Stoudemire (when he was on Phoenix) from the playoffslast season and he averages more rebounds than Perkins (7.9) andStoudemire (8.3) as well.

"The perception of this tall, lanky guyand how he plays the game may appear that way, but he somehow has aknack of getting those 20 points and 10 rebounds, night in and nightout," Jackson said of Gasol, who played Tuesday despite suffering abone bruise in his right knee Sunday against the Nuggets. "He's apretty amazing athlete and the tenacity is there. He's a tenacious guy.He wants to win and it's evident the way we've played since he came onthis team."

Andrew Bynum took to his Twitter feed to support his teammate.

"The NBA is a weird place!" Bynum wrote. "How can a man that plays 0 defense call a 2 time champion soft?"

It isn't the first time Stoudemire has gone after a member of the Lakers' front line.

Lastseason, as a member of the Suns, Stoudemire called Odom's 19-point,19-rebound performance in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals"lucky," adding, "I'm not giving him no hype."

Gasol is too much of a nice guy and humble person, that he's not gonna go out there with any malice or to try and to strike fear in his opponents.

He it is what he is, and I'll take a "soft" Gasol over any fake tough guy.

LA Sports Media Top 10:
[h3][/h3]
[h3]RANKING THE PLAY-BY-PLAY MEN[/h3][h3]THE TOP 10[/h3]
1. SPERO DEDES: Lakers radio, 570-AM

When his contract comes up in a couple of months, the Lakers should do the right thing: Invest in the city's future by making him the permanent TV voice, with the stipulation that he moves to radio when a network takes custody of a game in the regular season and throughout the playoffs.
Spoiler [+]
2. NICK NICKSON: Kings radio, 1150-AM

Thirty seasons with the team covering more than 2,500 broadcasts, the broadcast booth named after him ... when does he move into that Hall of Fame wing?

3. RALPH LAWLER: Clippers TV, Prime Ticket

At last, "Oh me, oh my!" has some context with Blake Griffin. We'll even consider fastening our seat belt.

4. BILL MACDONALD: College basketball and football TV, FSN West/Prime Ticket

Why wouldn't the Lakers consider him a regular radio play-by-play man if Dedes goes to TV?

5. VICTOR ROJAS: Angels TV, FSW/KCOP

We get the feeling Rory Markas would approve. As do we.

6. JEFF LASKY: Lancaster JetHawks radio

Good things will come for those whose career currently is a loop between Bozeman, Montana and the Antelope Valley Freeway.

7. CHRIS FISHER: USC basketball radio, 710-AM

USC director of broadcast operations Ann Beebe agrees Fisher "runs a nicely paced broadcast, with excellent and sometimes humorous exchanges with colorman Jim Hefner, and pushes through adversity" as he did during the recent road trip to Arizona because of illness.

8. JIM WATSON: Galaxy TV, FSW/Prime Ticket

It's either perseverance or having too much fun. Watty went to five junior colleges, the University of Hawaii and finally graduated nine years later from USC.

9. CHARLEY STEINER: Dodgers radio. 790-AM

Keep us engaged in the conversation, and we'll laugh right along with you.

10. PAUL SUNDERLAND: College basketball TV, Prime Ticket/FSW

Continues to add class and a comfortable voice to any assignment he's given.

Honorable mention: David Caldwell, CSUN basketball and baseball; Allen Hopkins and Patrick O'Neal, college basketball TV; Brian Seimen, Clippers radio; Larry Burnett, Sparks TV; Randy Rosenbloom, high school sports TV; Chris Roberts, UCLA football and basketball radio; Chris McGee, high school football, Prime Ticket; Tom Kelly, high school football Internet; Al Epstein, Pepperdine sports; Steve Carroll and John Ahlers, Ducks radio and TV.
[h3]THE BOTTOM 5[/h3]
1. THE USUAL SUSPECTS

In the spirit of eliminating divisive rhetoric, and having already critiqued their shortcomings to the fullest extents of the laws of nature, hoping they may change for the better but finally giving up any hope of that, our solution now would be to put JMeyers, TSmith and ECollins aboard one of the free mattresses PArbogast hopefully got in an endorsement deal and watch them have one giant pillow fight over superiority in this category. They can each take turns doing the play-by-play.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by kingferic

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Originally Posted by goldenarmz97

RT @LATimessports: Spero Dedes said to be replacing Joel Meyers as Lakers' TV announcer http://lat.ms/gbw2MP
Yes! I usually mute the tv broadcast & listen to the radio, this is awesome

YES!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
The only problem I have with this is who the hell are they going to get to replace him on radio.

Lakers 710 just won't be the same.
tired.gif

We've mentioned him before, but Jim Hill is so awful. How he butchers players' names when they just played five minutes earlier is amazing.

At last, "Oh me, oh my!" has some context with Blake Griffin. We'll even consider fastening our seat belt.

Glad Ralph is getting the recognition he deserves.

BTW: Stu Lantz is annoying, Chick Hearn's greatness made him seem like a good color commentator but he's overrated. I'm sure he's going to join Spero on the new Lakers network , but they should weigh all their options.

Originally Posted by goldenarmz97

Glad Ralph is getting the recognition he deserves.

BTW: Stu Lantz is annoying, Chick Hearn's greatness made him seem like a good color commentator but he's overrated. I'm sure he's going to join Spero on the new Lakers network , but they should weigh all their options.

i been saying lantz is garbage for a minute now. they should replace him aswell

Ahhh yes stu lantz is pretty terrible loll. But he's loyal lol.Sent caracter back to the d-league today.

Originally Posted by CP1708

I wonder how Phil motivates them for the final 5.  You all know damn well they don't want to play these 5 games, they just want the postseason to be here already (as do most of us)  Does he try resting guys and risk losing the edge we have over Boston and Miami (at the moment)?  Like I said yesterday, regardless of the Jazz and GS games, we have @ Port, OKC and SA over the course of 5 days.  That's a tough stretch no matter what, there was no guarantee we would get all 3 of those, now with losing to the Jazz, they could be REAL important games in terms of holding off Boston or Miami and chasing Chicago.  (It's obvious, the SA part is out of the equation now) 

catching the spurs isn't happening.   from being down 10 games to them at 1 time and bringing it to 1.5 is impressive in it's own right though.

i really don't see the bulls coming out the east but catching chicago is going to be tough as well.  2 games  (more like 3 because they hold the tie breaker due to better divisonal record) with 5 to go.   granted 2 of those games are against the celtics and at orlando and the other is on the road against a decent knicks team, however i don't see the lakers going 5-0 the rest of the way.

i know for sure miami has the tiebreaker on the lakers, not sure what the case is with boston since they split and their divisonal records are very similar. at the very worst boston should finish 3-2   and for miami at the very worst they should finish 3-2.

i just want home court in the finals for the lakers, im not worried about the spurs but i don't wanna see a potential game 7 in boston or miami 2 months from now if it can be avoided over the actions of the next 7 days

I guess I'll have to eat my own words from earlier on in the thread, cause I highly doubt the Lakers can win the next five straight to make it to sixty wins.
Oh well.

i liked Joel Meyers' play by play
ohwell.gif

it seems like there is going to be a lot of change in the coming years, new coach, new play by play guy, new tv network.

You know Noble is smiling and cursing seeing Blake and Brown stinking it up in person.
laugh.gif

lakers need to grab those rebounds and stop turnovers!!! lakers giving up to many offensive rebounds

Back
Top Bottom