Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

damn thats foul.

then again you all know what the last profession was that stopped being racists...

damn thats foul.

then again you all know what the last profession was that stopped being racists...

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by Luong1209

If you're referring to that headline, wouldnt you say thats poor wording?
Personally, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, but the level of immaturity and insensitivity is definitely shameful.
I agree on all points, but let's not grab the pitchforks and torches and march on Bristol. It's an error in judgment. That's all. 

eek.gif
 so what will you guys let slide then?

The dude is asian..they used a slur in a the headline to talk about his play in a losing effort.  Are u kidding me?  Im black and I'm ready to ride on them n's word to Pac.  

So you think its cool for a guy that works at ESPN to make a headline like that and have it approved before it gets displayed to millions of people?  C'mon that say a slur but tried to make a pun.  Thats beyond irresponsible in the year 2012.  no excuse

BINGO! this cannot be swept under the rug.  that word is on par with the N word.  im just dumbfounded.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Personally, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, but the level of immaturity and insensitivity is definitely shameful.
I agree on all points, but let's not grab the pitchforks and torches and march on Bristol. It's an error in judgment. That's all. 

eek.gif
 so what will you guys let slide then?

The dude is asian..they used a slur in a the headline to talk about his play in a losing effort.  Are u kidding me?  Im black and I'm ready to ride on them n's word to Pac.  

So you think its cool for a guy that works at ESPN to make a headline like that and have it approved before it gets displayed to millions of people?  C'mon that say a slur but tried to make a pun.  Thats beyond irresponsible in the year 2012.  no excuse

BINGO! this cannot be swept under the rug.  that word is on par with the N word.  im just dumbfounded.

Operation Overreaction has already commenced, I see.
yep, it's an error in judgment, that should cost him his job.  there's really no excuses not to know better in the world we live in today.  not just him.  whoever was involved should be be fired too. 

Operation Overreaction has already commenced, I see.
yep, it's an error in judgment, that should cost him his job.  there's really no excuses not to know better in the world we live in today.  not just him.  whoever was involved should be be fired too. 

a @*@%% in somebody's armour  (British & Australianalso a @*@%% in somebody's armor (American & Australian)
if someone or something which seems to be strong has a @*@%% in their armour, they have a small fault which may cause them problems She's a brilliant businesswoman, but her lack of political awareness may be the @*@%% in her armour.
I am still not buying it tho. ESPN, one of the largest media outlets in the world should know better not to use words like that

a @*@%% in somebody's armour  (British & Australianalso a @*@%% in somebody's armor (American & Australian)
if someone or something which seems to be strong has a @*@%% in their armour, they have a small fault which may cause them problems She's a brilliant businesswoman, but her lack of political awareness may be the @*@%% in her armour.
I am still not buying it tho. ESPN, one of the largest media outlets in the world should know better not to use words like that

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

a @*@@+ in somebody's armour  (British & Australianalso a @*@@+ in somebody's armor (American & Australian)
if someone or something which seems to be strong has a @*@@+ in their armour, they have a small fault which may cause them problems She's a brilliant businesswoman, but her lack of political awareness may be the @*@@+ in her armour.

The phrase is used commonly. But the journalist was definitely trying to be punny with that one. I'm not trying to bring that General stuff in here, but this goes back to the respect that Asians (and IMHO Latinos too) get in terms of political correctness and racial sensitivity. The journalist probably did not even think twice about using this headline. In fact most journalists and most people wouldn't. I don't think it has much to do with actually disrespecting the race, but moreso that they are less inhibited when it comes to them, as opposed to say African Americans where most people would have more reservations when it comes to racial jokes and puns.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

a @*@@+ in somebody's armour  (British & Australianalso a @*@@+ in somebody's armor (American & Australian)
if someone or something which seems to be strong has a @*@@+ in their armour, they have a small fault which may cause them problems She's a brilliant businesswoman, but her lack of political awareness may be the @*@@+ in her armour.

The phrase is used commonly. But the journalist was definitely trying to be punny with that one. I'm not trying to bring that General stuff in here, but this goes back to the respect that Asians (and IMHO Latinos too) get in terms of political correctness and racial sensitivity. The journalist probably did not even think twice about using this headline. In fact most journalists and most people wouldn't. I don't think it has much to do with actually disrespecting the race, but moreso that they are less inhibited when it comes to them, as opposed to say African Americans where most people would have more reservations when it comes to racial jokes and puns.

that is truly terrible.
there isnt any over reaction, all reaction to that should be negative and people should be appalled. might as well have had a subheadline that they played "n-ardly defense", on the same level -_-

that is truly terrible.
there isnt any over reaction, all reaction to that should be negative and people should be appalled. might as well have had a subheadline that they played "n-ardly defense", on the same level -_-

Hearing someone say it on air is a little more forgivable because there is an honest chance of it being a mistake, but we're talking about a HEADLINE here.

Headlines are well thought up, and serve as a phrase that will generate attention or interest to something.
In other words, the chances of this slipping someone's mind is very slim.

Although this isn't extremely serious, it shouldn't be looked at lightly either.

Hearing someone say it on air is a little more forgivable because there is an honest chance of it being a mistake, but we're talking about a HEADLINE here.

Headlines are well thought up, and serve as a phrase that will generate attention or interest to something.
In other words, the chances of this slipping someone's mind is very slim.

Although this isn't extremely serious, it shouldn't be looked at lightly either.

"Last night, ESPN.com's mobile web site posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 am. The headline was removed at 3:05 am. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake."http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=7588915It couldve been an honest mistake when whoever thought it up wrote it, but it to be okd and stay up and the writer not to see the problem shows either classlessness and disrespect or just pure ignorance. SMH

"Last night, ESPN.com's mobile web site posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 am. The headline was removed at 3:05 am. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake."http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=7588915It couldve been an honest mistake when whoever thought it up wrote it, but it to be okd and stay up and the writer not to see the problem shows either classlessness and disrespect or just pure ignorance. SMH

That headline was inexcusable, and there's no way it was an accident. We're talking about the premier sports network on the planet, not some local high school project.

Back
Top Bottom