Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

[h1]ESPN apologizes for 'indefensible' headline about Jeremy Lin[/h1][h3]PUBLISHED 1 hour and 22 minutes ago[/h3]

Staff report Sporting News

ESPN on Saturday issued a statement apologizing for the presence of a racial slur in a headline about Knicks sensation Jeremy Lin that appeared on its mobile website.

The headline was "A !*@%@ in the Armor" and affixed to a story about Lin's nine turnovers in a Knicks loss. It, according to the website, was up between 2:30 and 3:05 a.m. ET.

78728-330-0.jpg

Jeremy Lin, left, turned the ball over nine times Friday night. (AP Photo)

"There's no defense for the indefensible. All we can offer are our apologies, sincere though incalculably inadequate," editor-in-chief Rob King tweeted on Saturday morning.
King, through ESPN's public relations department, also released an official statement: "We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake."

The phrase, while containing a slur for people of Asian descent, also can be used to describe the presence of a vulnerable area. While ESPN's intent is unknown, the website also came under fire during the 2008 Olympics for using it in a similar context to describe the U.S. men's basketball team at the Beijing Olympics.

The incident is the latest in a string of racially insensitive remarks about Lin, who is of Chinese and Taiwanese descent: Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock apologized for an offensive Tweet about Lin last week that perpetuated stereotypes about Asian men; the MSG network displayed an fan-created image featuring the point guard's face posted above a broken fortune cookie with the words “The Knicks Good Fortune."; and boxer Floyd Mayweather said Lin is receiving attention on the scale that he has because he is Asian.

[h1]ESPN apologizes for 'indefensible' headline about Jeremy Lin[/h1][h3]PUBLISHED 1 hour and 22 minutes ago[/h3]

Staff report Sporting News

ESPN on Saturday issued a statement apologizing for the presence of a racial slur in a headline about Knicks sensation Jeremy Lin that appeared on its mobile website.

The headline was "A !*@%@ in the Armor" and affixed to a story about Lin's nine turnovers in a Knicks loss. It, according to the website, was up between 2:30 and 3:05 a.m. ET.

78728-330-0.jpg

Jeremy Lin, left, turned the ball over nine times Friday night. (AP Photo)

"There's no defense for the indefensible. All we can offer are our apologies, sincere though incalculably inadequate," editor-in-chief Rob King tweeted on Saturday morning.
King, through ESPN's public relations department, also released an official statement: "We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake."

The phrase, while containing a slur for people of Asian descent, also can be used to describe the presence of a vulnerable area. While ESPN's intent is unknown, the website also came under fire during the 2008 Olympics for using it in a similar context to describe the U.S. men's basketball team at the Beijing Olympics.

The incident is the latest in a string of racially insensitive remarks about Lin, who is of Chinese and Taiwanese descent: Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock apologized for an offensive Tweet about Lin last week that perpetuated stereotypes about Asian men; the MSG network displayed an fan-created image featuring the point guard's face posted above a broken fortune cookie with the words “The Knicks Good Fortune."; and boxer Floyd Mayweather said Lin is receiving attention on the scale that he has because he is Asian.

I know this is unpopular but I feel it's just as crazy that you can't you use a normal saying without people being negative thinking you were being racist. Maybe cause I don't go looking for the racist aspect in everything but if you are offended I won't go saying your crazy either.

I know this is unpopular but I feel it's just as crazy that you can't you use a normal saying without people being negative thinking you were being racist. Maybe cause I don't go looking for the racist aspect in everything but if you are offended I won't go saying your crazy either.

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

so you are telling me that espn, one of the largest media outlet in the world, are so limited in their use of idioms and vocabulary that they can't come up with any other headline that is more appropriate or creative? 
who knows what the intent was but to have that as your headline either shows that you racist, unprofessional, uncreative or all of the above

espn as big and popular as they are should know better that people will be offended regardless of intent. They deserve all the heat they get.

so you are telling me that espn, one of the largest media outlet in the world, are so limited in their use of idioms and vocabulary that they can't come up with any other headline that is more appropriate or creative? 
who knows what the intent was but to have that as your headline either shows that you racist, unprofessional, uncreative or all of the above

espn as big and popular as they are should know better that people will be offended regardless of intent. They deserve all the heat they get.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Another emotional reader did you not read the rest of my quote seriously?  Come on man I don't even know you and I know you are better than that.

Another emotional reader did you not read the rest of my quote seriously?  Come on man I don't even know you and I know you are better than that.

Originally Posted by warriors510

Warriors restocked on Lin jerseys, selling them on back-order for full price
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Should've bought one when it was 50% off at the end of last season...

Though I think the Knicks x Linsanity tee-shirt is clean.

Originally Posted by warriors510

Warriors restocked on Lin jerseys, selling them on back-order for full price
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Should've bought one when it was 50% off at the end of last season...

Though I think the Knicks x Linsanity tee-shirt is clean.

emotional?
I am not even talking about racism here, I am talking professionalism. 
So you are basically saying that is ok for espn to make that headline and people should not be offended but dont blame them if they do? so where do people draw the line?

espn should have better judgment. If you are using the freedom of speech argument then save that for another day. Espn has a reputation to uphold, being politically correct is essential if they want to make money and look respectable.

Do you work for espn or something?

emotional?
So you are basically saying that is ok for espn to make that headline and people should not be offended but dont blame them if they do? so where do people draw the line?

espn should have better judgment. If you are using the freedom of speech argument then save that for another day. Espn has a reputation to uphold, being politically correct is essential if they want to make money and look respectable.

emotional?

Yeah I work for espn. This is a free country people do what they do in regards to getting upset over issues.  I'm saying I don't look for it purposely. Call me naive but I try to think people have better things to do but to insult people based on race all day.  That's what I'm saying and if you don't agree I'm not trying to get you to change your thinking.  

emotional?

Yeah I work for espn. This is a free country people do what they do in regards to getting upset over issues.  I'm saying I don't look for it purposely. Call me naive but I try to think people have better things to do but to insult people based on race all day.  That's what I'm saying and if you don't agree I'm not trying to get you to change your thinking.  

This is what happens when the mainstream is forced to recognize the plight of any minority.
Look at all the words that used to be used for EITHER random sayings OR black people or gay people or jews that could had other meanings.

This is what tolerance is and what it comes down to.

Sometimes, it doesn't matter what you intend to do because people will be offended at whatever they want to be offended at. 

Back
Top Bottom