+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

The fact that "Beach Is Better" isn't a full track genuinely pisses me off. "Tease" wouldn't do it justice.

That beat. 
sick.gif

EDIT: Dude beat me to it. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
upon listening I enjoyed the album like many have said the beats are really where its at. (timbo was feeling himself)
I glad their was only on swizzy song on this thang. I was waiting for his SHOWTIME *** to pop up but I think he had only on light adlib

The lyrics were decent overall. some struggle bars and then other times I felt like Jay-Z was dusting off the old rhyme books and was rappin like someone stole his gucci bag or something. but I will say there were waaaay to many basquiat drops. it served its purpose on oceans with the whole black guy in a suit idea but when he claimed himself as the next Jean-Michel I was like :rolleyes but after listening to the song in full context it kinda made sense.

overall I give this thing a 9.5/10

I am not gonna compare it to Yeezus because they are two different ideas and concepts. Jay-Z made something for everybody, not necessarily something thought provoking (except on a few tracks) but something for people to bob their heads to and "bump da the whip with their homies."

Did this sound like Jay couldn't wait to drop another watch the throne like album? I swear it sounds like he took that same approach to make this....

La Familia and F*ckwithmeyouknowigotit (even though I like this song, if Kanye had done it he'd be getting destroyed because this ish "isn't rap" and it's kinda lazy/basically an interlude) are straight fillers.

There's 1 or 2 other tracks that aren't filler but I don't think are too good.  I definitely need to listen to them a few more times before I can judge fairly. I'm only on 2 album  listens so far.

don't get me wrong though, i think this album is great. i cant compare it til yeezus til ive sat through it a bunch of times and heard it in the car.
I disagree with everything except there being a couple of tracks that aren't very good.
Really?

La Familia is basically a Chicago "drill music" song and people kill rappers like King L and Keef for stuff like that all the time.  Obviously because it's Jay it's better than their stuff but he's still getting cut slack because he's Jay.

Same with F*ckwithmeyouknowigotit.  Everyone killed Ye over having terrible lyrics/little to no lyrics on his music.  Southern and midwestern rappers get killed for having songs where they just repeat the same line over and over again over a trap beat.  But Jay does it and it's "
eek.gif
this **** is a banger!!!!!!!"

but it's still the same talking over heavy bass that other rappers do.  it's just as lazy when he does it as it is when others do it.   there's nothing super lyrical about this song.  it's a filler track to take you from Tom Ford to Oceans.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's attached to the beginning or end of one of those songs on the physical album and there's only 14 tracks total.

Really?

La Familia is basically a Chicago "drill music" song and people kill rappers like King L and Keef for stuff like that all the time.  Obviously because it's Jay it's better than their stuff but he's still getting cut slack because he's Jay.

Same with F*ckwithmeyouknowigotit.  Everyone killed Ye over having terrible lyrics/little to no lyrics on his music.  Southern and midwestern rappers get killed for having songs where they just repeat the same line over and over again over a trap beat.  But Jay does it and it's ":wow: this **** is a banger!!!!!!!"

but it's still the same talking over heavy bass that other rappers do.  it's just as lazy when he does it as it is when others do it.  there's nothing super lyrical about this song.  it's a filler track to take you from Tom Ford to Oceans.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's attached to the beginning or end of one of those songs on the physical album and there's only 14 tracks total.

I've never **** on anyone for making that type of music or using too few words so that doesn't really affect my perception of this album.

I think both of those songs have their place on this album.

Last edited:
Yeezus in the same sentence, let alone same breath as this... :rofl:

I hate people like you, seriously. They're two completely different albums, different ends of the spectrum so how are we to compare them? It's like comparing a Dom Kennedy album to a Tame Impala album it would make no sense at all (not literally the same situation w/ Yeezus and MCHG, but you get the gist).

HOV's body of work speaks for itself and I was in no way shape or form looking to be moved by this project "lyrically" per se. Once the announcement was made during the Playoffs in that epic commercial; displaying some of the brilliant producers that would have their touch on this, I knew that from an Instrumentation perspective it would be almost nothing short of a production masterpiece!

Finished listening to the album and its solid. First 9 tracks are really strong but then the album tails off towards the end. This would have been better served being a 12-14 track album in my opinion. I would take out the interludes (although I would have been intrigued to hear more of Beach is Better) and also get rid of Jay-Z Blue & La Familla (easily the 2 weakest tracks on the album). Upon first listen its a very good album 4/5 with some really good tracks including Holy Grail and Oceans.

I gotta give it some more listens but its very good.

Still not sure how I feel about BBC. I dig the beat but don't love the hook on that song and yes I could have honestly done without Swizz yelling on the track.

Who is Emory? He rapped about him in LA familia and do you wanna ride
emory jones.his old slanging partner...did a long bid and got out a couple years back.

http://thejasminebrand.com/2010/11/...ones-his-early-prison-departure/#.UdUrwTtwrng
Documents of how Jay-Z  assisted with Emory Jones’  release from prison are now circulating the web. Emory Jones, Jay-Z’s close friend and cousin, was released from prison earlier this year. Emory had been locked-up in January 2000, after pleading guilty to a cocaine trafficking charge and was sentenced to nearly 16 years in prison. Allegedly, Emory ran a coke ring in Maryland’s Eastern Shore.

Read more: http://thejasminebrand.com/2010/11/...nes-his-early-prison-departure/#ixzz2Y3tQYn7S

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom