+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

Jay-Z Forces RIAA To Change Policy

Old rules were made to be broken. In light of Samsung purchasing a million digital copies of Jay-Z’s Magna Carta Holy Grail, the RIAA has decided to change their certification policy. In blog post, RIAA Director Liz Kennedy says:

We think it’s time for the RIAA – and Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman – to align our digital song and album certification requirements. That’s why today we are officially updating this rule in our G&P Program requirements. Going forward, sales of albums in digital format will become eligible on the release date, while sales of albums in physical format will still become eligible for certification 30 days after the release date.

This is truly ground breaking. Instead of waiting a month for a gold or platinum certification, an artist can a solicit a Fortune 500 company to buy their album wholesale in one shot. For an artist like Jay-Z, this deal is perfect. He cuts out the middleman and gets paid upfront. Not to mention, no leaks neither. Don’t be surpised to see more deals like this in the future. ******** with rap if you, mutha****as.

http://rapradar.com/2013/07/01/jay-z-forces-riaa-to-change-policy/#comments

damn, guess he's doing this to stop future leaks of albums. this is a big move.
This guy is truly a legend.

one thing i don't agree with is he's making these big time corporations like Samsung control the fate of hip hop sales. looks like it's gonna change the complete infrastructure of sales as we know it. only major artists like Jay-Z could pull this off.

Jay-Z Forces RIAA To Change Policy

Old rules were made to be broken. In light of Samsung purchasing a million digital copies of Jay-Z’s Magna Carta Holy Grail, the RIAA has decided to change their certification policy. In blog post, RIAA Director Liz Kennedy says:

We think it’s time for the RIAA – and Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman – to align our digital song and album certification requirements. That’s why today we are officially updating this rule in our G&P Program requirements. Going forward, sales of albums in digital format will become eligible on the release date, while sales of albums in physical format will still become eligible for certification 30 days after the release date.

This is truly ground breaking. Instead of waiting a month for a gold or platinum certification, an artist can a solicit a Fortune 500 company to buy their album wholesale in one shot. For an artist like Jay-Z, this deal is perfect. He cuts out the middleman and gets paid upfront. Not to mention, no leaks neither. Don’t be surpised to see more deals like this in the future. ******** with rap if you, mutha****as.

http://rapradar.com/2013/07/01/jay-z-forces-riaa-to-change-policy/#comments

damn, guess he's doing this to stop future leaks of albums. this is a big move.

What y'all about to witness is big business kid

Jay ain't playing games. :x :pimp:

I question how many artist will be able to succeed with this method. Clearly debut albums will struggle to find success through this ave. So I doubt that it will stop leaks entirely. Most companies aren't going to line up to do business with most artist, particularly hip-hop artists, if they aren't certain that the record could sell a certain amount to begin with. 

I question how many artist will be able to succeed with this method. Clearly debut albums will struggle to find success through this ave. So I doubt that it will stop leaks entirely. Most companies aren't going to line up to do business with most artist, particularly hip-hop artists, if they aren't certain that the record could sell a certain amount to begin with. 
There are only a few stars in rap...

I wonder what the next gimmick is myself. 

J stay winnin. J is certified consistant in music. Samsung and other corps wouldnt dare take this route with most artists. There are only a select few. (HIS WIFE COMES TO MIND)

All album art does for me personally is make my iTunes look pretty. Couldn't care less about it otherwise.

[h1]Rick Rubin Was Just a Prop in the Promotional Videos for Jay-Z's Album[/h1][h2]Rubin: "It was a little difficult-- after just coming from the Kanye sessions-- to listen to Jay's album..."[/h2][h4]By Carrie Battan on July 1, 2013 at 01:00 p.m.[/h4]

f90fd179.png

Here's another interesting (hilarious?) layer to add to the tale of Kanye West's Yeezus vs. Jay-Z's forthcoming Magna Carta Holy Grail: Rick Rubin, who appears in the Samsung ad/promotional videos for Jay's new record, did not actually have any hand in producing it. He was merely used as an advertiorial prop, which can be interpreted any number of ways given the news of Rubin's very heavy involvement in the recent completion of Kanye's Yeezus.{C}pagebreak

"The point of me being in the commercials was that he [Jay-Z] was filming a documentary and he asked me-- I imagine he is comfortable talking to me-- to come listen to the songs with him and just talk about the songs," Rubin told XXL. "Just listen to it and talk about it, and that's what we did. It was fun." Note that Rubin is, fittingly, pictured reclining on a couch in the footage.

But here's the real kicker, the knife in Jay's Samsung-powered heart: "I liked what I heard, but it was a little difficult-- after just coming from the Kanye sessions-- to listen to Jay's album, because they're so different," Rubin said. "I was in a very alternative and progressive headspace, and Jay's record is a more traditional hip-hop record."

Magna Carta Holy Grail is out on July 4 digitally. Revisit the promo video in which Jay-Z discusses his song about Blue Ivy with Rubin, which now reads like a parody:

basically i just came from something that sucked so hard it was hard to adjust my hearing to actually hear good music :lol:
j/k yeezus fans :tongue:

one thing i don't agree with is he's making these big time corporations like Samsung control the fate of hip hop sales. looks like it's gonna change the complete infrastructure of sales as we know it. only major artists like Jay-Z could pull this off.

Yeah I love the move and the ability for bigger artists to stop their albums from leaking but I as I have stated in this thread before its not fair to manipulate public demand in terms of sales. Samsung's purchases of the album doesn't reflect true demand for the album to go platinum. Thats the only thing I have a problem with as well but it is what it is.

album cover is trash. lyrics for the songs are looking like trash. swizz beats is trash.

looking like this album may turn out tra...

I dont think RIAA doing the right thing, it should be based on digital downloads, not mass company sponsored sales. So what samsung bought a million albums, what if a million people dont download the app?

seen Dream Hampton's personal opinion on twitter about the album and she said its top 3.... she had it RD, TBA, MCHG, I believe....

thats not how I rank his albums personally but if she put it up there then it gotta be legit at the end of the day... cant see it coming out and being on the other end of the catalog

For me, top 3 right now is RD, BP, AG... followed by TBA

^ people's opinions are just that though... opinions. top MCs never get criticized before a big release.

didn't Kingdom Come get a lot of critical love pre-release? or was that BP3? both?

Just look at Yeezus.  reviewers love it, but NT hates it.  Take all of these early reviews with a grain of salt and reserve your judgment til you hear it personally.

Not like I;m buying the physical cd and the cover/book will bother me.
Will sit on the screen of my phone/iPod just fine as is.

But see, in this case I can't rock with this.

Whether you're religious or not, that isn't the point here.

He's blatantly poking fun at people's religion here. That's not cool at all and is borderline disrespectful.

I don't mind the usage of the term holy grail. However, his nickname has always been offensive, and his lyrics on Heaven are too far for me ...

Back
Top Bottom