+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

But one thing I learned during my art major tenure was the ability of anyone to bs any work and call it "art." People did the most ridiculous things last minute then would bs some "artistic" deep story to go along with it when presenting. Sometimes the teachers would call out the bs, and sometimes they would fall for it. How do I know it was bs? Cuz I would do it too sometimes.

You could literally create any story you want for a lazy effort of a project... Talk about squiggly lines representing a roller coaster ride of a life... Talk about your apple juice stains on your painting being on purpose, saying it represents imperfections...
View media item 476275View media item 476276View media item 476280

Exactly Anti.
Exactly.

At least CD and LR had a unifying theme to them. Graduation was okay too, at least a lot of thought was put into it. The rest is him just trying too hard to be simple for the wow factor.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand why you guys are shocked at the simple cover art.

Just take a look through all of Jay's solo albums & find one that is crazy "artistic".

Yes, this is really simple and I don't care for it either, but I don't know why the public expected an extravagant cover.

No one wants extravagant.
We just don't want lazy as well.

But like many of said, the music is most important. But to some of us who appreciate the art aspect of these things, were just dissapointed.

Not everyone will care. I don't expect most to.

Speaking of which, anyone have relgious friends who are offended by this. I do. Between this and Yeezus I feel like theyre going to start a rap boycott one day.
I've heard from plenty of people that said this isn't cool...

It's blasphemy to believers. 

Me, I'm not religious so I have no objections to it. 

No one wants extravagant.
We just don't want lazy as well.

But like many of said, the music is most important. But to some of us who appreciate the art aspect of these things, were just dissapointed.

Not everyone will care. I don't expect most to.
I get what you're saying.

But what I'm saying is.. 95% of his covers are very simple (or lazy if you want to put it that way).

Which is why I wouldn't expect anything different after 17 years.

Speaking of which, anyone have relgious friends who are offended by this. I do. Between this and Yeezus I feel like theyre going to start a rap boycott one day.

But see, in this case I can't rock with this.

Whether you're religious or not, that isn't the point here.

He's blatantly poking fun at people's religion here. That's not cool at all and is borderline disrespectful.

Originally Posted by Swerve  

But what I'm saying is.. 95% of his covers are very simple (or lazy if you want to put it that way).
They may not have been artistic in a sense but a lot were still great photographs e.g. Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, American Gangster.

Just take a look through all of Jay's solo albums & find one that is crazy "artistic".

Yes, this is really simple and I don't care for it either, but I don't know why the public expected an extravagant cover.
The quality of the album art has taken a dive since BP3 and the reason is obvious, he stopped putting himself on the covers. He may have not had any extravagant covers, but hes sure had some iconic ones. Reasonable Doubt, BP1,BP2, Black Album, AG. I know you guys rememebr that commercial he did before the BP3 dropped. These album covers may have not been artistic, but they damn sure were iconic and were what I'll call poster material. I cant embedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCsJuf8hMn8
I've heard from plenty of people that said this isn't cool...

It's blasphemy to believers. 

Me, I'm not religious so I have no objections to it. 
Basically how I feel about. I dont want to start a conflict but some of the people I see getting mad about this arent the people who should be talking, but we all know how that goes.
But see, in this case I can't rock with this.

Whether you're religious or not, that isn't the point here.

He's blatantly poking fun at people's religion here. That's not cool at all and is borderline disrespectful.
I definitely wouldnt go this far either. Religious references are placed in music all the time, espeically rap.

Last edited:

The quality of the album art has taken a dive since BP3 and the reason is obvious, he stopped putting himself on the covers. He may have not had any extravagant covers, but hes sure had some iconic ones. Reasonable Doubt, BP1,BP2, Black Album, AG. I know you guys rememebr that commercial he did before the BP3 dropped. These album covers may have not been artistic, but they damn sure were iconic and were what I'll call poster material. I cant embed

True. But I feel that the music made those covers iconic. Nobody would care for them if they weren't classics from a music stand point.

As bad as this cover is.. it can still end up being iconic if it's as good (or better) as those albums are.

And I'm secretly happy we didn't just get his face on the cover for like the 5th time lol

Album covers don't really mean much, but the whole "minimalistic" BS is getting pretty annoying. Belongs in the "fools wildin' thinkin they doin it" thread. They really think they're on some next-level thinking.

Last edited:
^BP3's album cover was dope with all the instruments. That not necessarily one of my favorite Jay albums but definitely one of his best album covers.

I agree with everyone.
I mean at the end of the day he's rich and famous because of his music and business savy.

So the musics the most important.

But there's nothing that's iconic about that cover and it never will be. Anyone who considers that iconic 10 years from now is
either a Stan or straight sheep.

Again, I'm excited for the music.
Just over their whole "it's new rules" excuse for putting out such lazy artwork. I only care because I spent 4 years studying and performing art, So it's just common nature to me. I know many people could care less. But I just wanted to bring up the point, based on my experiences and education, that all he's trying to do is get away with not having a better idea. And he will publicly.
And he'll sell millions, and most people won't give 2 craps.

But to those few of us who really value the effort and time put into artwork, it just feels a little insulting to try to sell "not trying" as the new "trying," that's all.

Last edited:
Eh. Honestly I didn't even like Yeezus but the blank cover was more aesthetically appealing than this ugly 2nd grade art project of a cover.

There is simplicity.
And then there is laziness.
This cover is the latter. Nothing "#newrules" about it. Just trying too hard to be simple.

I like that better than a big pic of his grill

The music is what matters anyway, and it's not like we're in the days of vinyl, much less CD's

Jay-Z Forces RIAA To Change Policy

Old rules were made to be broken. In light of Samsung purchasing a million digital copies of Jay-Z’s Magna Carta Holy Grail, the RIAA has decided to change their certification policy. In blog post, RIAA Director Liz Kennedy says:

We think it’s time for the RIAA – and Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman – to align our digital song and album certification requirements. That’s why today we are officially updating this rule in our G&P Program requirements. Going forward, sales of albums in digital format will become eligible on the release date, while sales of albums in physical format will still become eligible for certification 30 days after the release date.

This is truly ground breaking. Instead of waiting a month for a gold or platinum certification, an artist can a solicit a Fortune 500 company to buy their album wholesale in one shot. For an artist like Jay-Z, this deal is perfect. He cuts out the middleman and gets paid upfront. Not to mention, no leaks neither. Don’t be surpised to see more deals like this in the future. ******** with rap if you, mutha****as.

http://rapradar.com/2013/07/01/jay-z-forces-riaa-to-change-policy/#comments

damn, guess he's doing this to stop future leaks of albums. this is a big move.

Last edited:
Jay-Z Forces RIAA To Change Policy

Old rules were made to be broken. In light of Samsung purchasing a million digital copies of Jay-Z’s Magna Carta Holy Grail, the RIAA has decided to change their certification policy. In blog post, RIAA Director Liz Kennedy says:

We think it’s time for the RIAA – and Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman – to align our digital song and album certification requirements. That’s why today we are officially updating this rule in our G&P Program requirements. Going forward, sales of albums in digital format will become eligible on the release date, while sales of albums in physical format will still become eligible for certification 30 days after the release date.

This is truly ground breaking. Instead of waiting a month for a gold or platinum certification, an artist can a solicit a Fortune 500 company to buy their album wholesale in one shot. For an artist like Jay-Z, this deal is perfect. He cuts out the middleman and gets paid upfront. Not to mention, no leaks neither. Don’t be surpised to see more deals like this in the future. ******** with rap if you, mutha****as.

http://rapradar.com/2013/07/01/jay-z-forces-riaa-to-change-policy/#comments

damn, guess he's doing this to stop future leaks of albums. this is a big move.
<>
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
!!

Damn. That's a major power move.
That album art is TRASH though.
Hopefully there's some fan art out there that I can use.

guess we ain't hearing this until the 4th, no more leaks makes me sad :frown: :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom