Official iPad Thread ("New iPad' to launch March 16 **Details Inside**)

noob question but iPad can view powerpoint slides, right? and edit em? what about word and pdf files? wanna use this as a note taker instead of hauling my laptop to class

For those planning to go with the 3G iPad 2, be wary that Verizon charges you a $35 activation fee + whatever data plan you choose every time you want to activate the service.  There is no such fee with AT&T.

For those planning to go with the 3G iPad 2, be wary that Verizon charges you a $35 activation fee + whatever data plan you choose every time you want to activate the service.  There is no such fee with AT&T.

[h1]iPad 2 JavaScript speed test[/h1]
[table][tr][td]by Rene Ritchie, Monday, Mar 7, 2011, 10 Comments[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

ipad-2-javascript-graph-400x248.jpg

CNET UK was able to take the iPad 2 running iOS 4.3 out for a test drive and the results are hypercar impressive — 2097ms. iOS 4.3 and its new Safari Nitro engine gets a lot of the credit — it blows iPhone 4 and the original iPad past the likes of the Nexus S and Galaxy Tab as well (they’ve been unable to test a Xoom as of yet), but that Apple A5 is enough to power iPad 2 to very top.

Why does this matter? Increasingly popular sites like Facebook are using more and more JavaScript to provide more and more functionality. Parsing and presenting that as fast as possible is key to having a good web experience. Who wants to wait to see their wall?

Certainly Android will get an even better version of Chrome in the future, and iOS 5 might just bring us WebKit2 like Mac OS X Lion is currently providing in beta form. For pure web performance junkies, 2011 is looking to be a very good year.

[CNET, thanks Jason!]

[h1]iPad 2 JavaScript speed test[/h1]
[table][tr][td]by Rene Ritchie, Monday, Mar 7, 2011, 10 Comments[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

ipad-2-javascript-graph-400x248.jpg

CNET UK was able to take the iPad 2 running iOS 4.3 out for a test drive and the results are hypercar impressive — 2097ms. iOS 4.3 and its new Safari Nitro engine gets a lot of the credit — it blows iPhone 4 and the original iPad past the likes of the Nexus S and Galaxy Tab as well (they’ve been unable to test a Xoom as of yet), but that Apple A5 is enough to power iPad 2 to very top.

Why does this matter? Increasingly popular sites like Facebook are using more and more JavaScript to provide more and more functionality. Parsing and presenting that as fast as possible is key to having a good web experience. Who wants to wait to see their wall?

Certainly Android will get an even better version of Chrome in the future, and iOS 5 might just bring us WebKit2 like Mac OS X Lion is currently providing in beta form. For pure web performance junkies, 2011 is looking to be a very good year.

[CNET, thanks Jason!]

I decided to get an iPod Touch 64gb instead of the iPad 2, I think I will wait another year or so before I go the tablet route, especially with these constant upgrades.

I decided to get an iPod Touch 64gb instead of the iPad 2, I think I will wait another year or so before I go the tablet route, especially with these constant upgrades.

Never been to fond of buying a tablet.

Might buy one if I need one.

What exactly do you guys use it for. How can you use it for school or what do you guys exactly use it for?

Never been to fond of buying a tablet.

Might buy one if I need one.

What exactly do you guys use it for. How can you use it for school or what do you guys exactly use it for?

ipad 2= no real enhancements from ipad 1...i guarantee youll see something much better w/i a yr ijs

ipad 2= no real enhancements from ipad 1...i guarantee youll see something much better w/i a yr ijs

Back
Top Bottom