**Official Heat Games Thread: 2010-2011 REG. SEASON ENDING (58-24)**Heat fam, check-in 1 last time!!

Originally Posted by AIR J XIII

Originally Posted by 40inchBoost

Originally Posted by amel223

As a Bulls fan who hates Lebron - I gotta admit, it's not Wade, or Lebron's fault.  The rest of the team just sucks.  Lebron might not be clutch but he probably wouldn't need to be if his teammates didn't suck. 
You right tho.

people are STILL using the teammates excuse? what happened to making your players better?

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by CP1708

Hey Heat fans, your boy H3at23 got a nice promotion at work, so he's been super busy these days, he wanted me to let ya'll know he's still rooting with you and to hang in there, he'll be back soon as he clears some time. 
pimp.gif
?? im lost

Heat man, not the team, the guy on NT. 
laugh.gif
  I think he started the other season thread for you guys, he started the NBA thread this year?  Nesto.......H3at. 

I got an email from him yesterday, he told me to tell you guys he'd be in as soon as he could, but he's been super busy at work lately.  I was just relaying the message for him. 

Hey Heat fans, your boy H3at23 got a nice promotion at work, so he's been super busy these days, he wanted me to let ya'll know he's still rooting with you and to hang in there, he'll be back soon as he clears some time. 
pimp.gif
?? im lost

laugh.gif
  I think he started the other season thread for you guys, he started the NBA thread this year?  Nesto.......H3at. 

I got an email from him yesterday, he told me to tell you guys he'd be in as soon as he could, but he's been super busy at work lately.  I was just relaying the message for him. 

If Bosh getting the ball in the low block is something that needs to be finally implemented, then so beit. This has been a stress point by all of us who have felt that he takes too many jump shots but the reality is he's made them at a high percentage regardless of how you look at it. Allow that to be an expansion of his game. I remember the notion that Spo implemented the system during that winning stretch that he'd reward players with different offensive sets for playing hard on defense and making defensive plays. A form of motivation if you will. I would take that a step further in stating that an influx of points in the paint needs to be made much more relevant in the offense which may and probably should start with Bosh. The bench is terrible at the end of the day and this is made brutally clear. I would fully expect Spo to start tinkering with the rotations again heading into the final quarter of the season.

If Bosh getting the ball in the low block is something that needs to be finally implemented, then so beit. This has been a stress point by all of us who have felt that he takes too many jump shots but the reality is he's made them at a high percentage regardless of how you look at it. Allow that to be an expansion of his game. I remember the notion that Spo implemented the system during that winning stretch that he'd reward players with different offensive sets for playing hard on defense and making defensive plays. A form of motivation if you will. I would take that a step further in stating that an influx of points in the paint needs to be made much more relevant in the offense which may and probably should start with Bosh. The bench is terrible at the end of the day and this is made brutally clear. I would fully expect Spo to start tinkering with the rotations again heading into the final quarter of the season.

pimp.gif
?? im lost

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
... i know who h3at is... i was just trying to figure out where in the hell did you get that message from... you never said he emailed you... good looking out though...

This has been a stress point by all of us who have felt that he takes too many jump shots but the reality is he's made them at a high percentage regardless of how you look at it.
co sign.... or subbing patterns have switched now and i dont know what he is trying to do... our center rotation doesnt matter because it all depends on match ups...
back when we was on a roll.. certain players were on the court that complimented wade or lebron when one of them needed a rest... if one of them was struggling bosh was in there...
there was times when it was
chalmers, house, miller, lebron, Z..
we can go... bibby, wade, jones, bosh, damp/joel... i can see that spo is playing miller more because of his hustle..and in the 4th... we see wade, miller, lebron, bosh , center... i cant say its a bad thing but if miller is not hitting we need a PG in there.

pimp.gif
?? im lost

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
... i know who h3at is... i was just trying to figure out where in the hell did you get that message from... you never said he emailed you... good looking out though...

This has been a stress point by all of us who have felt that he takes too many jump shots but the reality is he's made them at a high percentage regardless of how you look at it.
co sign.... or subbing patterns have switched now and i dont know what he is trying to do... our center rotation doesnt matter because it all depends on match ups...
back when we was on a roll.. certain players were on the court that complimented wade or lebron when one of them needed a rest... if one of them was struggling bosh was in there...
there was times when it was
chalmers, house, miller, lebron, Z..
we can go... bibby, wade, jones, bosh, damp/joel... i can see that spo is playing miller more because of his hustle..and in the 4th... we see wade, miller, lebron, bosh , center... i cant say its a bad thing but if miller is not hitting we need a PG in there.

Stephen A Smith said on Herd "if miami can get rid of Bosh they would but nobody want his contract"
Pat Riley gonna have to ask him to take a paycut or step it up..

Stephen A Smith said on Herd "if miami can get rid of Bosh they would but nobody want his contract"
Pat Riley gonna have to ask him to take a paycut or step it up..

Flailing Heat have one very big problem

I’m usually the guy preaching calm, but you can’t deny it now: The Heat are struggling. A five-game losing streak might not be important in the long run, but this is no longer the product of bad luck or randomness. The Heat’s level of play has declined. They’ve dropped to sixth in both points scored per possession and points allowed per possession after threatening for most of the season to join a small group of clubs to finish in the top three in both. 
Orlando, San Antonio and now Portland have shown that smart, patient teams can find good perimeter looks — at least right now, in early March — against Miami’s aggressive rotating defense. The Heat aren’t forcing turnovers at nearly the rate we may have expected early in the season, and that of course limits their ability to get out in transition, where they are the second most efficient scoring team in the league, according to the stat-tracking service Synergy Sports. 

The Heat, as of today, are on pace to win 55 games, just eight more than they won last season with Dwyane Wade, Udonis Haslem, a mildly effective Jermaine O’Neal and spare parts. 

The Heat have problems. Chris Bosh says he wants the ball down low more. Dwyane Wade wants the ball more late in games and took issue with Erik Spoelstra’s rotations after Tuesday’s home loss to the Blazers.

Those rotations reveal what is the fundamental problem in Miami: the lack of a second big man Spoelstra feels he can trust. Parse the data all you want, but I keep coming back to that particular roster limitation. Miami’s best backups (Mike Miller and James Jones) play the same positions as their two best players, and the Heat have been unable to get consistent minutes from six big men who sit on their bench every game. 

That problem has crystallized in the last week. Before about a week ago, Miami’s small lineups, featuring LeBron James as the power forward, were a change-of-pace thing Spoelstra broke out in small doses — typically at the end of the first and third quarters, when James plays alongside several bench guys while Wade and Bosh rest. 

But over the last week, this has been Miami’s go-to lineup for long and crucial stretches. Some of that is likely due to the makeup of Miami’s most recent opponents; the Spurs and Blazers love to use small-$%$ lineups, inviting Miami to do the same. But Miami used James at power forward for nearly the entire fourth quarter Sunday against the Bulls, even as Chicago kept two true big men on the floor for all but the final 15 seconds of that quarter. The lack of size came back to bite Miami in that game in small ways. Luol Deng hit a runner over Dwyane Wade when the guy who would normally defend Deng (James) was guarding Joakim Noah, and the Bulls snagged a few key offensive rebounds against Miami’s shorter personnel. 

Playing small against big has some advantages for the Heat. It usually forces a big man — Noah on Sunday — to defend a perimeter player, which can create confusion and open looks (see the wide-open three Mike Miller missed late in the fourth quarter). It gives Miami a speed edge. Lineups with James at power forward blitzed teams over the first 50 games, but as Spoelstra has leaned on them more, the plus/minus numbers for those lineups have regressed. 

If you look at all 12 lineups that feature James at power forward and have logged at least 10 minutes together (excluding one that includes Carlos Arroyo, now in Boston), you get these stats:

Miami’s offense (500 possessions): 110 points per 100 possessions

Miami’s defense (486 possessions): 106 points allowed per 100 possessions

Those are still good numbers, but the scoring margin is down from what these lineups produced early, and it’s about three points worse than Miami’s overall scoring margin per 100 possessions. Also of note: These small lineups that feature both James and Wade — a recent addition, as Spoelstra has gone small more often and for longer periods — have been wildly inconsistent, according to Basketball Value. 

The Heat clearly did not envision playing this way when they signed Joel Anthony to a five-year, $18.25 million contract and picked up seemingly every 30something big man willing to work on the cheap. What started as a five-minutes-per-game gimmick has become much more, and when Miami is finishing games with a three-guard lineup that includes Mike Bibby and Mario Chalmers, you know Spoelstra is flailing. 

There are plenty of reasons for this flailing. The injury to Udonis Haslem, who is hoping to return at some point this season, has had a devastating trickle-down effect. But Miami’s decision to commit long-term to Anthony and sign a bunch of over-the-hill big guys just hasn’t worked, and it’s a decision many people questioned immediately – why didn’t Miami get a little more creative in filling out their big-man roster? 

The attention today will be, once again, on Bosh’s failures, and on Mike Miller’s shaky shooting and on why James Jones or Eddie House wasn’t in the game down the stretch last night. And those are all issues. 

But it’s hard to imagine Miami winning the title over teams like Boston, Chicago and the Lakers if Bosh is the only big man they can count on.

Link

Flailing Heat have one very big problem

I’m usually the guy preaching calm, but you can’t deny it now: The Heat are struggling. A five-game losing streak might not be important in the long run, but this is no longer the product of bad luck or randomness. The Heat’s level of play has declined. They’ve dropped to sixth in both points scored per possession and points allowed per possession after threatening for most of the season to join a small group of clubs to finish in the top three in both. 
Orlando, San Antonio and now Portland have shown that smart, patient teams can find good perimeter looks — at least right now, in early March — against Miami’s aggressive rotating defense. The Heat aren’t forcing turnovers at nearly the rate we may have expected early in the season, and that of course limits their ability to get out in transition, where they are the second most efficient scoring team in the league, according to the stat-tracking service Synergy Sports. 

The Heat, as of today, are on pace to win 55 games, just eight more than they won last season with Dwyane Wade, Udonis Haslem, a mildly effective Jermaine O’Neal and spare parts. 

The Heat have problems. Chris Bosh says he wants the ball down low more. Dwyane Wade wants the ball more late in games and took issue with Erik Spoelstra’s rotations after Tuesday’s home loss to the Blazers.

Those rotations reveal what is the fundamental problem in Miami: the lack of a second big man Spoelstra feels he can trust. Parse the data all you want, but I keep coming back to that particular roster limitation. Miami’s best backups (Mike Miller and James Jones) play the same positions as their two best players, and the Heat have been unable to get consistent minutes from six big men who sit on their bench every game. 

That problem has crystallized in the last week. Before about a week ago, Miami’s small lineups, featuring LeBron James as the power forward, were a change-of-pace thing Spoelstra broke out in small doses — typically at the end of the first and third quarters, when James plays alongside several bench guys while Wade and Bosh rest. 

But over the last week, this has been Miami’s go-to lineup for long and crucial stretches. Some of that is likely due to the makeup of Miami’s most recent opponents; the Spurs and Blazers love to use small-$%$ lineups, inviting Miami to do the same. But Miami used James at power forward for nearly the entire fourth quarter Sunday against the Bulls, even as Chicago kept two true big men on the floor for all but the final 15 seconds of that quarter. The lack of size came back to bite Miami in that game in small ways. Luol Deng hit a runner over Dwyane Wade when the guy who would normally defend Deng (James) was guarding Joakim Noah, and the Bulls snagged a few key offensive rebounds against Miami’s shorter personnel. 

Playing small against big has some advantages for the Heat. It usually forces a big man — Noah on Sunday — to defend a perimeter player, which can create confusion and open looks (see the wide-open three Mike Miller missed late in the fourth quarter). It gives Miami a speed edge. Lineups with James at power forward blitzed teams over the first 50 games, but as Spoelstra has leaned on them more, the plus/minus numbers for those lineups have regressed. 

If you look at all 12 lineups that feature James at power forward and have logged at least 10 minutes together (excluding one that includes Carlos Arroyo, now in Boston), you get these stats:

Miami’s offense (500 possessions): 110 points per 100 possessions

Miami’s defense (486 possessions): 106 points allowed per 100 possessions

Those are still good numbers, but the scoring margin is down from what these lineups produced early, and it’s about three points worse than Miami’s overall scoring margin per 100 possessions. Also of note: These small lineups that feature both James and Wade — a recent addition, as Spoelstra has gone small more often and for longer periods — have been wildly inconsistent, according to Basketball Value. 

The Heat clearly did not envision playing this way when they signed Joel Anthony to a five-year, $18.25 million contract and picked up seemingly every 30something big man willing to work on the cheap. What started as a five-minutes-per-game gimmick has become much more, and when Miami is finishing games with a three-guard lineup that includes Mike Bibby and Mario Chalmers, you know Spoelstra is flailing. 

There are plenty of reasons for this flailing. The injury to Udonis Haslem, who is hoping to return at some point this season, has had a devastating trickle-down effect. But Miami’s decision to commit long-term to Anthony and sign a bunch of over-the-hill big guys just hasn’t worked, and it’s a decision many people questioned immediately – why didn’t Miami get a little more creative in filling out their big-man roster? 

The attention today will be, once again, on Bosh’s failures, and on Mike Miller’s shaky shooting and on why James Jones or Eddie House wasn’t in the game down the stretch last night. And those are all issues. 

But it’s hard to imagine Miami winning the title over teams like Boston, Chicago and the Lakers if Bosh is the only big man they can count on.

Link

Both Bron and Bosh need to continue to make strides on being more effective in the post. Although never a strongsuit in Bron's offensive repertoire, it's clearly something that he doesn't really need to be that great at to effect the outcome of opposing teams defensive game planning. Simply putting the pressure on teams to have to contest that may open up even more opportunities for the bench to provide more consistency.

Both Bron and Bosh need to continue to make strides on being more effective in the post. Although never a strongsuit in Bron's offensive repertoire, it's clearly something that he doesn't really need to be that great at to effect the outcome of opposing teams defensive game planning. Simply putting the pressure on teams to have to contest that may open up even more opportunities for the bench to provide more consistency.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

What Miami needs to do:

1. Fire spoeLstra. If Riley doesn't want to coach, try to get Jerry Sloan.
roll.gif

Sloan coaching James would definitely be the sign of an impending apocalypse.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

What Miami needs to do:

1. Fire spoeLstra. If Riley doesn't want to coach, try to get Jerry Sloan.
roll.gif

Sloan coaching James would definitely be the sign of an impending apocalypse.

Back
Top Bottom