Official DESIIGNER thread VOL. New English mixtape out

@tyisny thank you for clearing that up :lol: neither Gates nor Yo Gotti's numbers should be questioned. They both directly translate to their sales, it's just that Gates is a pretty new artist, especially commercially. Yo Gotti been on and off the radar since 01. His fanbase has been set for a long time. You can always count on him for s surprise banger that catches on every time he's about to release something. Down In The DM was huge, but we're people expecting him to do 600K first week because of that :lol: ? I'm glad they have natural fanbases though, while others jack an already garbage person's style, can get 18 million streams but can't even bring in revenue to purchase their own underwear. Reminds me of Lil B and Stitches fanbases.

Gotti sold 60k his first week of his new album. Around the same time gates dropped. Gates sold 120k

You telling me that it's THAT much difference in fanbase between the two...when Gotti tours more, has the bigger record, more established, and likely a larger fan base?

I don't believe it :lol:.

I'm shocked by the sheer metrics of it. Hell, billboard was too.

Females buy more music. Gates has a much larger female fanbase than Gotti.

Females buy more music. Gates has a much larger female fanbase than Gotti.

This ain't true man. Not at all.

Y'all ever been to a Gotti show? Gotti brings the bishes out. TRUST ME :lol:

They come to hear 5 Star Chick, Act Right, Got dat sac, Fkc You, Down in the DM etc etc.

Last edited:
What it cost to sign him is irrelevant.

But please believe when you already have a song on major market radio stations, shazaming Top20 in those markets, BEFORE your deal, you don't have to settle for a sucker deal.

If Def Jam breaks "Panda" wide open, the table is set for his follow ups. Which will be on GOOD/Def Jam. Which they'll continue to generate revenue from.

Pushing a song that's on one of their albums with an artist that is signed to one of their subsidiaries is a win/win long term.

Vs. pushing a song with an artist on another label.
Essentially if you picked up an artist for cheap a "long term investment" isn't made, you just came up.
Desiigner signed w/ GOOD Feb., his song didn't chart until March and that was 96 which meant it still had a ways to go
You think Def Jam made a "long term investment" when they signed CyHi after he was on Dark Fantasy?

Last edited:
I don't think you understood what I meant.

You should re-read my comment. Understand the word "potential" in front of "long term investement" and understand why I put quotes around those words.

The CyHi comparison is as irrelevant at what they paid to sign him. CyHi didn't already have HEAT on the radio.

And you seem to think they picked him up for "cheap". Do you know something about the deal the rest of us don't?

Because under normal circumstances, when an artist has a song on major radio stations independently, shazaming like crazy, and then major labels come after that song/artist, it ain't "cheap".

Charts don't matter. The dude had heat on major stations on his own.

There is a long term payoff to driving "Panda" home for GOOD/Def Jam. You're not just breaking a song, you're potentially breaking an artist.

I've explained this as best I can so I'm not sure where the disconnect is.

Last edited:
This ain't true man. Not at all.

Y'all ever been to a Gotti show? Gotti brings the bishes out. TRUST ME
laugh.gif

They come to hear 5 Star Chick, Act Right, Got dat sac, Fkc You, Down in the DM etc etc.
i hear you but gotti female fans are ratchet and dont care, gates got the ratchets who think they aint ratchet.....there are more freaks out there that wanna believe they aint ratchet buying music i guess.....lol

i hear you but gotti female fans are ratchet and dont care, gates got the ratchets who think they aint ratchet.....there are more freaks out there that wanna believe they aint ratchet buying music i guess.....lol

Nah man. Same fans :lol:.

My ex is one of the most surburan, bougie black people on the entire planet.

One of her favorite songs is "Feelin Myself"....a cut from Yo Gotti's earlier Cocaine Muzik series :lol:.

I don't think you understood what I meant.

You should re-read my comment. Understand the word "potential" in front of "long term investement" and understand why I put quotes around those words.

The CyHi comparison is as irrelevant at what they paid to sign him. CyHi didn't already have HEAT on the radio.

And you seem to think they picked him up for "cheap". Do you know something about the deal the rest of us don't?

Because under normal circumstances, when an artist has a song on major radio stations independently, shazaming like crazy, and then major labels come after that song/artist, it ain't "cheap".

Charts don't matter. The dude had heat on major stations on his own.

There is a long term payoff to driving "Panda" home for GOOD/Def Jam. You're not just breaking a song, you're potentially breaking an artist.

I've explained this as best I can so I'm not sure where the disconnect is.

I guess I did misunderstand you but I've never heard of dude besides KTT and when Yeezy introduced/signed buddy. How is it HEAT on the radio if it hasn't charted yet , which is most of your arguing point
I referenced CyHi as to show that Def Jam is piggybacking of Yeezy's influence (i.e. Teyana Taylor, Kacy Hill)

This is just semantic ******** :lol:

You can have HEAT on the radio without the song being on a chart. It's 2016 fam.

Having a song on multiple stations on the East Coast, SXM, including multiple stations in NYC alone, cracking Sahazm charts in those markets, as an independent artist ain't "heat"?

How many times do I have to explain this?

Look at when this thread was created. The song was already on the radio and the GOOD signing wasn't announced until a month later. So clearly some people had heard of him. Why do you think GOOD signed him? You don't think they noticed the airplay already?

Def Jam isn't piggybacking anything. They distribute GOOD. Everyone is doing what they're supposed to do.

I'm not sure what Teyana or Kacy or CyHi or any other artist have to do with any of that.

Last edited:
This is just semantic ******** :lol:

You can have HEAT on the radio without the song being on a chart. It's 2016 fam.

Having a song on multiple stations on the East Coast, SXM, including multiple stations in NYC alone, cracking Sahazm charts in those markets, as an independent artist ain't "heat"?

How many times do I have to explain this?

Look at when this thread was created. The song was already on the radio and the GOOD signing wasn't announced until a month later. So clearly some people had heard of him.

Def Jam isn't piggybacking anything. They distribute GOOD. Everyone is doing what they're supposed to do.

I'm not sure what Teyana or Kacy or CyHi or any other artist have to do with any of that.

It's for sure piggybacking this artist won't last a year max. The most unoriginal artist I've ever seen in a sea of unoriginal artist.

So who's doing the "piggybacking"?

Def Jam? They're pushing the product of one of their subsidiaries. An artist the label they distribute signed.

Or GOOD for signing the Future xerox?

You sound like you're having a different discussion.

Last edited:
Im on Wavy side when it comes to Gates...his numbers look funny in the light

You feel me...

You telling me that gates can have damn near a top 15 crossover single, and top 50 single by himself at the same time....But Future without Drake or Migos can't?

I'm not buying it :lol:.

Does your gotti really have a solid fan base like that tho? Everytime son comes to my city he is with another act. Usually comes with Jeezy or some **** like that. He has the more popular songs but gates fan base is far larger and been with him from day one. White people love Kevin gates, I was looking on ig and this white dude had I don't her tired tatted on him, Ole nerdy looking dude.

We think gotti and migos are bigger than what they are because we listen to em and the hood rock with em. They speak for the streets, gates antics alone got people outside of the hood knowing who he is. The day gates album came out I was hash tagging the album and all types of people were posting that they bought it. All street ****** bought gotti album, others might very bought the single, but they don't wanna hear nothing dude gotta say. If gotti had more personality he probably would've did gates numbers, but he strictly business. This honestly the most open I've ever seen him and even then u just like o ok, I know nothing about dude. Son marketed himself perfectly. Rico hood called it mths ago tho, dudes like him been rocking with son from day one.

Go look at a video of Gates shows and you will get your answer. Followed the Wiz and Mac blueprint. Put your head down and just grind out that loyal fanbase so you don't need a hit record to sell.

also, the female demographic for Gates is big. At times he sounds like a street Drake. Gotti on the other hand don't really make soft type music unless it's a blatant club/radio record.

Last edited:
Does your gotti really have a solid fan base like that tho? Everytime son comes to my city he is with another act. Usually comes with Jeezy or some **** like that. He has the more popular songs but gates fan base is far larger and been with him from day one. White people love Kevin gates, I was looking on ig and this white dude had I don't her tired tatted on him, Ole nerdy looking dude.

Man, gotta hits my city like 4x a year. Dolo. It's why he always shouts Baltimore out. ***** got a condo out here :lol:. Throws an all white party annually. He's big in the south too obviously, and out west too.

I have no clue what goes on in the Midwest, so I can't even tell you what that's like for Gotti. But up and down the East Coast ....Gotti got that fan base on lock.

Gotti probably tours more than most rappers. It's why he's richer than most rappers without the gold albums, or #1 hits etc. I don't know when that ***** is never not touring.

And he performing in the little venue in the hood because we are his fan base. The same "we" that don't buy albums. Like dude said, gates got that technine blueprint, if he get his merch game together bet he make dough off that too. Gotti is the hood ****** rapper, they just like a song or 2 every now n then. I'm pretty sure we all think fdb was bigger than gates songs too, dropped tours but them sales look atrocious. We don't buy albums b.

Gotti just came back from the UK. Promoting his album. Y'all sleep on how big and diverse dudes fan base is.

He actually gave Gates the Blueprint :lol:.

And Thug got antics and hits....but none of his solo hits charted higher than #45. You telling me that, "Best Friend" isn't a more played song than "2 Phones" or "Really Really"?

And Thug got a wide fanbase as well. College kids love Thug.

If Gates sold like 50-60K....and had the #60 song in the country...id buy it. But this ****** is putting up elite numbers. Not even Boosie with his fan base, back when ***** was buying albums, and he had "whipe me down" could do gates numbers.

It doesn't make sense.

Gotti is like a god in Baltimore though. Baltimore _'s put me on to Gotti and Boosie but that's probably clouding your judgement. And like Will said Gates has a big personality. He had all them stations and podcast wanting a interview. Gotti is a get the money, on to the next move type of dude. He don't do too much talking.

Gotti is like a god in Baltimore though. Baltimore _'s put me on to Gotti and Boosie but that's probably clouding your judgement. And like Will said Gates has a big personality. He had all them stations and podcast wanting a interview. Gotti is a get the money, on to the next move type of dude. He don't do too much talking.

Thug is a big personality as well. I just can't see how "Really Really" can chart at the same level as "Best Friend"....that alone let's me know the numbers are phony :lol:.

Happy for gates though, cuz it's good to see some real street rap get back again. But I simply don't buy his numbers. Regardless of his fan base or personality. It don't add up.

I'm pretty sure I can find pics of gates overseas if I looked also. Let's not just sit here and act like gates isn't the better artist either. Detroit is to Jeezy what b more is to gotti and there is no way u can tell a ***** here Jeezy ain't a tier 1 rapper. Everytime he comes he shuts the city down. He coming next month and everybody posting tickets on ig etc. Those same people don't post the album when it drops either. And like I said gotti album would've sold alot more if he had personality. He literally is a trap rapping hit making wall. He gonna perform in all white and jewelry on and leave. This ***** gates talk about telling ******* to suck his dog **** and every blog, radio station want a interview.

Thug just started doing interviews last month. Wearing women's clothing got him where he was at 2 years ago, then the music followed. Some dudes still not gonna accept thug because of the whole gay thing but he's on his way imo. Signing that deal really hurt him more than helped him. If he was indy and metrothuggin and migosthuggin dropped when he wanted for the free 99 dude would've been bigger. Lyor only holding dude back.

Gotti's my dude, but there's rappers who haven't been in the limelight in years that can get overseas love :lol: Gates is a new artist that has a pulse on a good variety of people. It also didn't help Yo Gotti that his album came out in February, and Down In The DM was already on his Return mixtape 6 months before (a tape that's way better than his album btw). People already had that single for free, so they didn't need to buy his album. But the reason both of them sell the way they do is cause people really feel them. Young Thug is just 1 of many troll rappers that people have on as background noise. He just happens to have hits. He's Lil B with tangeable radio access. People listen to his music, but they don't really listen to his music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom