Official Carmelo Anthony Trade Rumors Thread (Carmelo is Officially a Knick)

Man, this n is never getting traded
grin.gif

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

As a matter of fact, I would say that Melo is the best passing forward not named LeBron.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Carmelo is not a good passer by any stretch of the imagination. And to say he's one of the best passing forwards in the league is asinine. Hedo Turk, Shane Battier, Andrei Kirlenko, Paul Pierce, Tayshaun Prince, etc. are better passing SF off the top of my head. And that's just SF. PF you got Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Boris Diaw, Blake Griffin, KG, etc.

You can sugarcoat that assist to turnover rate with all the arbitrary BS you want, but a ratio of around 1 is NOT elite. And nothing I've seen in the years watching him suggests anything different.

Why does he not qualify as a good passer? What makes the guys you named such clearly better passers? Even in assists Carmelo is top 10 among all forwards (with "only" 3/gm) and on his team he's 3rd after his two point-guards. But like I said before, "assist" doesn't exactly cover all passing. So go ahead and try to answer those questions and use as many "
roll.gif
's" as you want. Just provide some substance. I know you hate explaining yourself, but give it a shot. 

As for the turnovers, I never said that it was a good thing that he gets charge calls. But I know that box score skimmers assume that he just coughs the ball up and gives opposing teams fast break opportunities. That's simply not the case.

I'm not gonna fall back into defending Melo like I used to years ago. Every player will have his haters. I'm just glad he's been consistent enough to earn some respect. Now he realizes that another team can put him in a better position to succeed. I'm not mad at him for wanting to get away from a complacent owner and a complacent coach. I'm pretty sure he likes the city of Denver and the people there. 

As a matter of fact, I would say that Melo is the best passing forward not named LeBron.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Carmelo is not a good passer by any stretch of the imagination. And to say he's one of the best passing forwards in the league is asinine. Hedo Turk, Shane Battier, Andrei Kirlenko, Paul Pierce, Tayshaun Prince, etc. are better passing SF off the top of my head. And that's just SF. PF you got Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Boris Diaw, Blake Griffin, KG, etc.

You can sugarcoat that assist to turnover rate with all the arbitrary BS you want, but a ratio of around 1 is NOT elite. And nothing I've seen in the years watching him suggests anything different.

Why does he not qualify as a good passer? What makes the guys you named such clearly better passers? Even in assists Carmelo is top 10 among all forwards (with "only" 3/gm) and on his team he's 3rd after his two point-guards. But like I said before, "assist" doesn't exactly cover all passing. So go ahead and try to answer those questions and use as many "
roll.gif
's" as you want. Just provide some substance. I know you hate explaining yourself, but give it a shot. 

As for the turnovers, I never said that it was a good thing that he gets charge calls. But I know that box score skimmers assume that he just coughs the ball up and gives opposing teams fast break opportunities. That's simply not the case.

I'm not gonna fall back into defending Melo like I used to years ago. Every player will have his haters. I'm just glad he's been consistent enough to earn some respect. Now he realizes that another team can put him in a better position to succeed. I'm not mad at him for wanting to get away from a complacent owner and a complacent coach. I'm pretty sure he likes the city of Denver and the people there. 

Assists per game is a flawed statistic because it is highly dependent on how many minutes and possessions a player utilizes. If you look at the metric "assist rate" which is basically the percentage of a player's possessions that end in an assist he is not even in the top 40 among rotation forwards.

To put it simply, Carmelo passes out of necessity rather than of his own volition. You don't see him creating offense for others enough, be it with an assist, a pass that leads to an assist, or even something as simple as passing it to the weak side when the defense overloads ball side. He maybe capable of doing so, but has not showed it thus far in his career, and needs to take the initiative to create more, and chuck less, in order to be considered a great player.

I provided plenty of substance in my other post, but I see you didn't bother defending the other critiques of his game. And I have no problem with him wanting to leave, it's just good business. I can only hope he does it with class.

Assists per game is a flawed statistic because it is highly dependent on how many minutes and possessions a player utilizes. If you look at the metric "assist rate" which is basically the percentage of a player's possessions that end in an assist he is not even in the top 40 among rotation forwards.

To put it simply, Carmelo passes out of necessity rather than of his own volition. You don't see him creating offense for others enough, be it with an assist, a pass that leads to an assist, or even something as simple as passing it to the weak side when the defense overloads ball side. He maybe capable of doing so, but has not showed it thus far in his career, and needs to take the initiative to create more, and chuck less, in order to be considered a great player.

I provided plenty of substance in my other post, but I see you didn't bother defending the other critiques of his game. And I have no problem with him wanting to leave, it's just good business. I can only hope he does it with class.

He covered it.  Clearly Tra Soul and I are watching different things.  I see a ball stopped who is not an efficient offensive player.  You see someone who creates opportunities for others.  One of us is wrong.  not sure who it is, but i know its not me

He covered it.  Clearly Tra Soul and I are watching different things.  I see a ball stopped who is not an efficient offensive player.  You see someone who creates opportunities for others.  One of us is wrong.  not sure who it is, but i know its not me

[h1]http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wi...ing_impatient_with_denver_focused_on_carmelo/[/h1]
[h1]Nene Growing Impatient With Denver Focused On Carmelo
[/h1]
Jan 22, 2011 8:17 PM EST

Nene is upset with all the focus the Nuggets have placed on Carmelo Anthony with his own future undecided, according to sources.

Like Anthony, Nene has an early termination option in his contract that could make him a free agent this coming summer.

Ken Berger of CBS Sports writes that Nene "has made a list of three teams he's interested in signing with or being traded to -- and not surprisingly, one of them is Miami, where his fierce interior presence would be the missing piece for the Heat."

Denver's stance has been to handle the Anthony situation first, but time is running out to sign Nene to an extension.

If Anthony and Chauncey Billups are traded, Nene is expected to push for a trade.

"The whole team is sick of the Carmelo thing," one source said. "They're sick of the distraction."

[h1]http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wi...ing_impatient_with_denver_focused_on_carmelo/[/h1]
[/h1]

Nene is upset with all the focus the Nuggets have placed on Carmelo Anthony with his own future undecided, according to sources.

Like Anthony, Nene has an early termination option in his contract that could make him a free agent this coming summer.

Ken Berger of CBS Sports writes that Nene "has made a list of three teams he's interested in signing with or being traded to -- and not surprisingly, one of them is Miami, where his fierce interior presence would be the missing piece for the Heat."

Denver's stance has been to handle the Anthony situation first, but time is running out to sign Nene to an extension.

If Anthony and Chauncey Billups are traded, Nene is expected to push for a trade.

"The whole team is sick of the Carmelo thing," one source said. "They're sick of the distraction."

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

[/h1]

pimp.gif
bye howard, maglorie, maybe anthony...

[/h1]

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

[/h1]

pimp.gif

Denver might be the new Cleveland come next season. Nene would be a perfect fit for Miami

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

[/h1]

pimp.gif

Denver might be the new Cleveland come next season. Nene would be a perfect fit for Miami

Originally Posted by kapstone

I guess we can agree to disagree then. When you look at the Nuggets as a whole, you'll see that there is no movement on offense, so the ball is always stopped. I'm no stats guru, but if you look it up, I'm pretty sure no one on the Nuggets has a very good "assist rate." There's way to much standing around and iso-ball from everyone. There is no real half-court offense and it's easy to tell that the entire team wishes they had one. But if you guys are telling me Melo only passes when he's in trouble then I don't know what to say other than watch the games. 

My statement that he's the best passing forward not named LeBron may have been hyperbolic, but nearly as hyperbolic as saying "he is by no means a good passer." I'm not here to defend every facet of Melo's game. He has his flaws. I'm just saying his passing is very much slept-on and under-appreciated and that things will come to light when he's in a better basketball situation. Beyond that, we'll just have to wait and see where the cards fall this season/summer. Then we can begin to judge him by his new situation. 

Originally Posted by kapstone

I guess we can agree to disagree then. When you look at the Nuggets as a whole, you'll see that there is no movement on offense, so the ball is always stopped. I'm no stats guru, but if you look it up, I'm pretty sure no one on the Nuggets has a very good "assist rate." There's way to much standing around and iso-ball from everyone. There is no real half-court offense and it's easy to tell that the entire team wishes they had one. But if you guys are telling me Melo only passes when he's in trouble then I don't know what to say other than watch the games. 

My statement that he's the best passing forward not named LeBron may have been hyperbolic, but nearly as hyperbolic as saying "he is by no means a good passer." I'm not here to defend every facet of Melo's game. He has his flaws. I'm just saying his passing is very much slept-on and under-appreciated and that things will come to light when he's in a better basketball situation. Beyond that, we'll just have to wait and see where the cards fall this season/summer. Then we can begin to judge him by his new situation. 

Nene to the Heat? 
eek.gif

mad.gif

30t6p3b.gif

GM: Now Inevitable That Carmelo Will Be A Knick

Jan 23, 2011 12:48 PM EST

Anthony_Carmelo_den.jpg
One general manager said he thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Carmelo Anthony will wind up a member of the Knicks.

"Now it’s inevitable," the GM said. "I don’t know how many other teams are going to want to get involved in any negotiation for him, because who wants to go through what the Nets just went through? It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when."

Anthony would prefer to sign a contract extension but the GM points out that it may not make a difference financially if he is extended-and-traded this season or signs outright in the summer.

"It could be that whatever he signs now gets rolled back anyway, so it would not matter. It's not like he isn't going to get a big contract in free agency," said the GM.

The Knicks are on a six-game losing streak, a fact which could give Donnie Walsh a sense of urgency to get a deal done soon.

Nene to the Heat? 
eek.gif

mad.gif

30t6p3b.gif

GM: Now Inevitable That Carmelo Will Be A Knick

Jan 23, 2011 12:48 PM EST

Anthony_Carmelo_den.jpg
One general manager said he thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Carmelo Anthony will wind up a member of the Knicks.

"Now it’s inevitable," the GM said. "I don’t know how many other teams are going to want to get involved in any negotiation for him, because who wants to go through what the Nets just went through? It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when."

Anthony would prefer to sign a contract extension but the GM points out that it may not make a difference financially if he is extended-and-traded this season or signs outright in the summer.

"It could be that whatever he signs now gets rolled back anyway, so it would not matter. It's not like he isn't going to get a big contract in free agency," said the GM.

The Knicks are on a six-game losing streak, a fact which could give Donnie Walsh a sense of urgency to get a deal done soon.

Nen on the Heat is not a good look for other elite teams in the East
30t6p3b.gif
I doubt they'd have a good offer for him unless Pat dumps some of the bums on the roster but when you think about where Den is going they probably won't offer him much either.

I expect K-Mart, J.R., and Harrington to be gone before next season too.

As I was thinking of trades Donnie should holla at GS again and see if they're really serious about trading Curry if Den was so enthralled with Devin Harris. He was the main player in the Nets deal, so Curry is better and we'd just have to offer more salary dump contracts and picks. (Sorry GS fans we can give you AR back or Toney Douglas
laugh.gif
).

Nen on the Heat is not a good look for other elite teams in the East
30t6p3b.gif
I doubt they'd have a good offer for him unless Pat dumps some of the bums on the roster but when you think about where Den is going they probably won't offer him much either.

I expect K-Mart, J.R., and Harrington to be gone before next season too.

As I was thinking of trades Donnie should holla at GS again and see if they're really serious about trading Curry if Den was so enthralled with Devin Harris. He was the main player in the Nets deal, so Curry is better and we'd just have to offer more salary dump contracts and picks. (Sorry GS fans we can give you AR back or Toney Douglas
laugh.gif
).

Posted January 25, 2011, 4:25 pm MT
[h1]Uneasy Carmelo Anthony talks about his Nuggets future[/h1]
By Benjamin Hochman

WASHINGTON — Today I caught up with Carmelo Anthony, and for the first time, I really felt a sense of uncertainty from the guy.

Asked where he thought he’d be traded, the Nuggets all-star said, “At this point, I really don’t know.

“New Jersey took that deal off the table. In order for me to consider them, I’d have to agree to the meeting. Now, it’s washed under the table.

Posted January 25, 2011, 4:25 pm MT
[h1]Uneasy Carmelo Anthony talks about his Nuggets future[/h1]
By Benjamin Hochman

WASHINGTON — Today I caught up with Carmelo Anthony, and for the first time, I really felt a sense of uncertainty from the guy.

Asked where he thought he’d be traded, the Nuggets all-star said, “At this point, I really don’t know.

“New Jersey took that deal off the table. In order for me to consider them, I’d have to agree to the meeting. Now, it’s washed under the table.

Back
Top Bottom