Official Carmelo Anthony Trade Rumors Thread (Carmelo is Officially a Knick)

Don't be ridiculous. Walsh is smart enough not to overpay, but given the opportunity, he will pony up to secure Anthony's services before the deadline and the end of the current CBA.

Further breakdown:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MeloMyths-110118

Myth 3: If the Nuggets and Knicks can't reach a deal, Melo will just hold out and sign a max contract with the Knicks this summer via free agency.

He does have that option, but there are two big reasons that Knicks fans shouldn't count on this happening.

First, he's never indicated he's willing to take the risk involved in refusing to sign the extension that's on the table. In fact, I haven't spoken to one source in the league that thinks he would.

Why? If Melo becomes a free agent this year, he is suddenly risking more than $80 million -- a guaranteed $18.5 million next year plus almost $65 million in a three-year extension, which averages out to better than $20 million per season for four seasons, carrying him to age 31, when he could presumably get another big contract.

He could make some of that money back in free agency (barring health issues). But with the NBA's collective bargaining agreement set to expire on July 1, there is a great deal of uncertainty about the rules under which Anthony would sign his next contract if he decides to become a free agent.

Owners want to shorten the maximum length and dollar amount of contracts, lower the salary cap and install a hard salary cap. While it's unlikely the owners will get everything they want, they'll probably get some of it, which means it's almost certain that the best deal Anthony can get is between now and Feb. 24. That explains why the CBA is on his mind, as he confirmed in an ESPN interview last week.

Second, the Knicks don't have the cap space to sign Anthony to a max contract this summer.

Even if the team were to renounce key players Chandler and Shawne Williams, along with Curry, Kelenna Azubuike and Roger Mason, they would have only $12.5 million or so in cap space (assuming no changes in the league's salary cap). With Melo set to earn $18.5 million next year, that would be a huge pay cut.

If the Knicks were to trade Randolph for an expiring contract before the trade deadline, they would get another $2.9 million with which to work. After that, they'd likely try to move either Ronny Turiaf or Timofey Mozgov to clear the rest of the cap space they would need. Turiaf has an expiring contract and Mozgov's contract is only partially guaranteed that year, and both would have some value on the market. But knowing that the Knicks were desperate, teams would try to take advantage of them the same way Houston did at the trade deadline in 2009, when the Knicks were trying to get Jared Jeffries off their books.

It gets even more complicated. All of that assumes that the league has the same salary cap (about $58 million) that it did last year. But no one I have talked to believes that the salary cap will be as high when the new collective bargaining agreement takes effect. In that case, the Knicks would have to clear even more cap space.

So while it's not impossible for the Knicks to hand Anthony a max contract in free agency, it's not a slam dunk, and the Knicks are likely to lose several talented players in the process.

I don't know how letting Melo walk for nothing is a good business plan or good for the team. So what if they have the heads up? They should be trying their hardest to get as much as they can for Melo instead of letting him walk so they can have something to work for when they're planning for the future. I don't hate these rumors enough for me to be saying the Nuggs should just let him walk
laugh.gif

Also, to be clear, the Knicks WILL lose some of their players whether they trade now or wait until the off season. There is no way around those facts.

They either package them in a deal or give up bird rights to sign Melo to a max deal along with pursuing other FAs.

I don't know how letting Melo walk for nothing is a good business plan or good for the team. So what if they have the heads up? They should be trying their hardest to get as much as they can for Melo instead of letting him walk so they can have something to work for when they're planning for the future. I don't hate these rumors enough for me to be saying the Nuggs should just let him walk
laugh.gif

Also, to be clear, the Knicks WILL lose some of their players whether they trade now or wait until the off season. There is no way around those facts.

They either package them in a deal or give up bird rights to sign Melo to a max deal along with pursuing other FAs.

Vince Carter, 'Nets A Great Place to Play'

spacer.gif

Posted: 1/18/2011 12:33:00 PM
Source: Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News

Vince Carter says he has little idea what Carmelo Anthony wants in a team, and he knows even less about the new-look Nets these days. But the former New Jersey star knows this much: If 'Melo wants to play in an exhilarating atmosphere, the Nets deserve a shot.

"I don't know what he's looking for," Carter said. "But with this team moving to Brooklyn, the excitement is there. It was just a great place to play."

SHUT YOUR MOUTH
mad.gif

[h1]Carmelo: I'd Never Do It Like LeBron[/h1]Jan 18, 2011 5:17 PM EST

Anthony_Carmelo_den.jpg
Carmelo Anthony isn't sure how things will end in Denver, but says he learned from LeBron James how not to leave a team.

"I would never go about it the way LeBron did it," Anthony told Sports Illustrated Senior Writer Ian Thomsen.

"If he could do it all over again, he wouldn't do it that way -- he would do it a totally different way, I can guarantee you that," Anthony added.

Anthony is seeking an amicable split from the Nuggets, while James announced his free agent decision on live television as part of a well-planned ESPN special.

Vince Carter, 'Nets A Great Place to Play'

spacer.gif

Posted: 1/18/2011 12:33:00 PM
Source: Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News

Vince Carter says he has little idea what Carmelo Anthony wants in a team, and he knows even less about the new-look Nets these days. But the former New Jersey star knows this much: If 'Melo wants to play in an exhilarating atmosphere, the Nets deserve a shot.

"I don't know what he's looking for," Carter said. "But with this team moving to Brooklyn, the excitement is there. It was just a great place to play."

SHUT YOUR MOUTH
mad.gif

[h1]Carmelo: I'd Never Do It Like LeBron[/h1]Jan 18, 2011 5:17 PM EST

Anthony_Carmelo_den.jpg
Carmelo Anthony isn't sure how things will end in Denver, but says he learned from LeBron James how not to leave a team.

"I would never go about it the way LeBron did it," Anthony told Sports Illustrated Senior Writer Ian Thomsen.

"If he could do it all over again, he wouldn't do it that way -- he would do it a totally different way, I can guarantee you that," Anthony added.

Anthony is seeking an amicable split from the Nuggets, while James announced his free agent decision on live television as part of a well-planned ESPN special.

[h1]Dwyane Wade on Carmelo Anthony talk[/h1]

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Dwyane Wade can relate to Carmelo Anthony's melo-drama.

Wade said Tuesday that he hopes Anthony -- his good friend -- has his future with the Denver Nuggets resolved soon. Wade spent most of last season dogged by constant where-are-you-going talk regarding his then-looming free agency, and completely understands what sort of toll that can take on someone.

1987.jpg
I'm sure Melo is more tired of it than anybody. But it's just to the point, as a sports fan, you're just, 'All right, it's just enough.'

[h1]Dwyane Wade on Carmelo Anthony talk[/h1]

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Dwyane Wade can relate to Carmelo Anthony's melo-drama.

Wade said Tuesday that he hopes Anthony -- his good friend -- has his future with the Denver Nuggets resolved soon. Wade spent most of last season dogged by constant where-are-you-going talk regarding his then-looming free agency, and completely understands what sort of toll that can take on someone.

1987.jpg
I'm sure Melo is more tired of it than anybody. But it's just to the point, as a sports fan, you're just, 'All right, it's just enough.'

Cp3/Deron-STAT-Melo-Dwight-(Does it matter who's our SG?
laugh.gif
) Backups-Nash-T. Chandler

..... AND I LOVE IT
pimp.gif

Cp3/Deron-STAT-Melo-Dwight-(Does it matter who's our SG?
laugh.gif
) Backups-Nash-T. Chandler

..... AND I LOVE IT
pimp.gif

that would be a really nice team but why should melo trust knicks management? they've done great the last 10 years.

why would you trust amere's knee or any other part of his body to hold up? can you trust d'antoni to coach a championship team?

that would be a really nice team but why should melo trust knicks management? they've done great the last 10 years.

why would you trust amere's knee or any other part of his body to hold up? can you trust d'antoni to coach a championship team?

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

Trust Knicks management? You speak as if the person running it for the past 10 years was one person. Like there hasn't been a different this season.

Amar'e's knee? Seriously? You one of those dudes talking about an injury that hasn't been an issue since? Why not talk about his eyes too?

D'Antoni was the only good point you made and I feel after two playoff teams with a stacked team he should be fired but the sooner the better. With just Melo we'd just have to focus on how much the defense improves and w/e other pieces are added and how they're used.

Trust Knicks management? You speak as if the person running it for the past 10 years was one person. Like there hasn't been a different this season.

Amar'e's knee? Seriously? You one of those dudes talking about an injury that hasn't been an issue since? Why not talk about his eyes too?

D'Antoni was the only good point you made and I feel after two playoff teams with a stacked team he should be fired but the sooner the better. With just Melo we'd just have to focus on how much the defense improves and w/e other pieces are added and how they're used.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Didn't the knicks owner say he'd entertain bringing Isiah back? That to me shows that the place is nuts from the top down.

The only way you guys win a chip with Melo and Stat is if CP3 comes in and y'all get a real coach. Those D'antoni teams get expensive too. You run that much you play a full team almost and those bums get stats padded and then want their money. See barbosa, diaw and other misplaced suns amongst the NBA wasteland.

Didn't the knicks owner say he'd entertain bringing Isiah back? That to me shows that the place is nuts from the top down.

The only way you guys win a chip with Melo and Stat is if CP3 comes in and y'all get a real coach. Those D'antoni teams get expensive too. You run that much you play a full team almost and those bums get stats padded and then want their money. See barbosa, diaw and other misplaced suns amongst the NBA wasteland.

Dolan is a crazy dude but reflecting on that now he said this after Donnie failed to get LeBron here before the season started. I saw it more as a threat, if the Knicks didn't make a change for the better. The owner is notoriously known as a bad owner but he's at his best when he's hands off. As long as Donnie is here and/or the new GM (I'm guessing Houston) do a good job I don't think there's no reason Isiah comes back in a management position.

I already spoke on D'Antoni. Players already on this team or future ones to come wanting more money due to padded stats are expendable. That's a non-issue if we're not winning though. Getting a new (better) coach some time in the future after having the necessary players is not a huge feat though. I am in no way saying STAT and Melo is a lock for a chip or that D'Antoni is the coach to get us there. Dude is really just in the last rotation of coaches we've had from when the team were bad.

Dolan is a crazy dude but reflecting on that now he said this after Donnie failed to get LeBron here before the season started. I saw it more as a threat, if the Knicks didn't make a change for the better. The owner is notoriously known as a bad owner but he's at his best when he's hands off. As long as Donnie is here and/or the new GM (I'm guessing Houston) do a good job I don't think there's no reason Isiah comes back in a management position.

I already spoke on D'Antoni. Players already on this team or future ones to come wanting more money due to padded stats are expendable. That's a non-issue if we're not winning though. Getting a new (better) coach some time in the future after having the necessary players is not a huge feat though. I am in no way saying STAT and Melo is a lock for a chip or that D'Antoni is the coach to get us there. Dude is really just in the last rotation of coaches we've had from when the team were bad.

[h1]Anthony’s agents courting Bulls[/h1]
wojnarowski.png

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 38 minutes ago

As trade discussions with the New Jersey Nets stall, the representatives for Carmelo Anthony(notes) are engaging the Chicago Bulls with hopes of pushing them into becoming a serious bidder for the Denver Nuggets star, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Anthony has long been enthusiastic about a possible trade to the Bulls, but Denver and Chicago officials had been previously unable to come to terms on a deal. Bulls executives John Paxson and Gar Forman have investigated the possibility of acquiring Anthony, but thus far haven’t been willing to include the one player the Nuggets most covet: center Joakim Noah(notes).

Type=count&ClientType=2&ASeg=&AMod=&AOpt=0&AdID=480631&FlightID=349539&TargetID=64412&SiteID=57348&EntityDefResetFlag=0&C=0&Segments=2743,3285,13094,13096,13097,13099,13111,13304,13309,16250,16336,17251,18903,18906,18909,19419,19568,20031,20139,23491,23722,25504,25507,25511,25517,25531,25537,25540,25543,30220,32735,32749,33735,33852,34701,35301,35306,35880,36460,36463,37272,37430,37580,37603,37612,39390,40253,42274,42646,42647,43109,43475,43752,43908,44046,44047,44387,45046,45217,45349,45351,45353,45354,45376,45388,45497,45604,45611&Targets=1515,109646,95468,82689,111483,111912,56453,70591,86193,89879,94050,64412,97705,111533,105530,82301,109538,85147,86295,108306,107128,82708,105471,97881,97882,98016,101771,105486,106321,112280,108404,106449,99589,109196,112795,111959,111985,112117,112088,112421,92960,89610,86176,92380,107510,105330,107982,110502,112501&Values=60,83,100,150,682,685,686,917,967,1285,1678,1690,1726,4443,7967,47118,47458,52263,52896,56058,56872,57348,57464,57583,57896,58702,58806,58825,59988,60138,61089,61263,61478,61884,61906,61913,63498&RawValues=NGUSERID%2Caa55a3f-27208-1973850674-1%2CTIL%2C1295464262462081&random=bxpxNvo,bgtonAfcrnRjv&Params.tag.transactionid=

b

Anthony’s agents are under pressure to make a deal happen for the All-Star forward, who sources said has become an increasingly unhappy client. The Nuggets need to agree on a package with a team in which Anthony’s willing to sign a contract extension. Talks with New Jersey and Anthony’s preferred choice, the New York Knicks, have dragged on since Anthony asked for a trade in August.

Nevertheless, William Wesley – Worldwide Wes – is expected to travel to Chicago for Bulls games on Thursday and Saturday against the Dallas Mavericks and Cleveland Cavaliers, a source said. Wesley unsuccessfully pushed LeBron James(notes) to sign with the Bulls as a free agent, and now has an interest in Anthony ending up there. Wesley represents Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau for CAA.

Despite that Leon Rose is certified as the agent of record for Anthony, everyone in the NBA knows Wesley is responsible for delivering the Nuggets star to CAA and is hands-on when trying to push teams into deals for the agency’s clients.

Chicago has wanted the Nuggets to take forward Luol Deng(notes) as a cornerstone to the deal, but Denver hasn’t been interested in absorbing the three years and $40 million left on his contract after this season. The Nuggets want an array of young players and picks the Bulls will have a difficult time providing. Still, Chicago badly needs another scoring option and Anthony is one of the NBA’s elite offensive players.

Noah is recuperating from wrist surgery and is targeting a late February return. Thibodeau is an immense believer in Noah and values his defensive and rebounding presence in the middle. He’s also considered him an underrated offensive player. The Bulls signed Noah to a five-year, $60 million contract extension in the preseason.

Meanwhile, the Nets are still trying to make a deal for Anthony, but sources said team officials have no idea whether he will ever commit to a contract extension with them. New Jersey is still talking with the Nuggets about a three-team deal also involving the Detroit Pistons, and has tried to arrange a meeting between owner Mikhail Prokhorov and Anthony.
The key components of the deal would send Anthony, Chauncey Billups(notes) and Richard Hamilton(notes) to the Nets, and Devin Harris(notes), Derrick Favors(notes), Anthony Morrow(notes) and draft picks to Denver. The Nuggets are trying to include Renaldo Balkman(notes) in the deal – and bring back rookie Damion James(notes) – but the Nets are still resisting exchanging those

[h1]Anthony’s agents courting Bulls[/h1]
wojnarowski.png

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 38 minutes ago

As trade discussions with the New Jersey Nets stall, the representatives for Carmelo Anthony(notes) are engaging the Chicago Bulls with hopes of pushing them into becoming a serious bidder for the Denver Nuggets star, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Anthony has long been enthusiastic about a possible trade to the Bulls, but Denver and Chicago officials had been previously unable to come to terms on a deal. Bulls executives John Paxson and Gar Forman have investigated the possibility of acquiring Anthony, but thus far haven’t been willing to include the one player the Nuggets most covet: center Joakim Noah(notes).

Type=count&ClientType=2&ASeg=&AMod=&AOpt=0&AdID=480631&FlightID=349539&TargetID=64412&SiteID=57348&EntityDefResetFlag=0&C=0&Segments=2743,3285,13094,13096,13097,13099,13111,13304,13309,16250,16336,17251,18903,18906,18909,19419,19568,20031,20139,23491,23722,25504,25507,25511,25517,25531,25537,25540,25543,30220,32735,32749,33735,33852,34701,35301,35306,35880,36460,36463,37272,37430,37580,37603,37612,39390,40253,42274,42646,42647,43109,43475,43752,43908,44046,44047,44387,45046,45217,45349,45351,45353,45354,45376,45388,45497,45604,45611&Targets=1515,109646,95468,82689,111483,111912,56453,70591,86193,89879,94050,64412,97705,111533,105530,82301,109538,85147,86295,108306,107128,82708,105471,97881,97882,98016,101771,105486,106321,112280,108404,106449,99589,109196,112795,111959,111985,112117,112088,112421,92960,89610,86176,92380,107510,105330,107982,110502,112501&Values=60,83,100,150,682,685,686,917,967,1285,1678,1690,1726,4443,7967,47118,47458,52263,52896,56058,56872,57348,57464,57583,57896,58702,58806,58825,59988,60138,61089,61263,61478,61884,61906,61913,63498&RawValues=NGUSERID%2Caa55a3f-27208-1973850674-1%2CTIL%2C1295464262462081&random=bxpxNvo,bgtonAfcrnRjv&Params.tag.transactionid=

b

Anthony’s agents are under pressure to make a deal happen for the All-Star forward, who sources said has become an increasingly unhappy client. The Nuggets need to agree on a package with a team in which Anthony’s willing to sign a contract extension. Talks with New Jersey and Anthony’s preferred choice, the New York Knicks, have dragged on since Anthony asked for a trade in August.

Nevertheless, William Wesley – Worldwide Wes – is expected to travel to Chicago for Bulls games on Thursday and Saturday against the Dallas Mavericks and Cleveland Cavaliers, a source said. Wesley unsuccessfully pushed LeBron James(notes) to sign with the Bulls as a free agent, and now has an interest in Anthony ending up there. Wesley represents Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau for CAA.

Despite that Leon Rose is certified as the agent of record for Anthony, everyone in the NBA knows Wesley is responsible for delivering the Nuggets star to CAA and is hands-on when trying to push teams into deals for the agency’s clients.

Chicago has wanted the Nuggets to take forward Luol Deng(notes) as a cornerstone to the deal, but Denver hasn’t been interested in absorbing the three years and $40 million left on his contract after this season. The Nuggets want an array of young players and picks the Bulls will have a difficult time providing. Still, Chicago badly needs another scoring option and Anthony is one of the NBA’s elite offensive players.

Noah is recuperating from wrist surgery and is targeting a late February return. Thibodeau is an immense believer in Noah and values his defensive and rebounding presence in the middle. He’s also considered him an underrated offensive player. The Bulls signed Noah to a five-year, $60 million contract extension in the preseason.

Meanwhile, the Nets are still trying to make a deal for Anthony, but sources said team officials have no idea whether he will ever commit to a contract extension with them. New Jersey is still talking with the Nuggets about a three-team deal also involving the Detroit Pistons, and has tried to arrange a meeting between owner Mikhail Prokhorov and Anthony.
The key components of the deal would send Anthony, Chauncey Billups(notes) and Richard Hamilton(notes) to the Nets, and Devin Harris(notes), Derrick Favors(notes), Anthony Morrow(notes) and draft picks to Denver. The Nuggets are trying to include Renaldo Balkman(notes) in the deal – and bring back rookie Damion James(notes) – but the Nets are still resisting exchanging those

Back
Top Bottom