Official Carmelo Anthony Trade Rumors Thread (Carmelo is Officially a Knick)

The New York Knicks have reached out to Memphis about participating in a three-team deal that would send Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo to Denver and Carmelo Anthony to New York, according to league sources.

Talks are in the infant stages and nothing is imminent, but the discussions are a sign of the Knicks' increased aggressiveness in trying to trade for Anthony.

Emboldened by their belief that Anthony will refuse to sign a three-year, $65 million contract extension with the New Jersey Nets, the Knicks have stepped up their efforts to bring the Nuggets star to New York.

1975.jpg

Anthony

4389.jpg

Mayo

The Knicks have tried to engage Denver in trade talks all season, but the Nuggets, unmoved by the players New York has to offer, have been unwilling to partake in significant discussions. Sources, however, say that is changing as the Nuggets themselves wonder whether Anthony is willing to go to New Jersey.

The Knicks understand they need to recruit another trade partner or two in order to put together a package Denver would be interested in, and that's their motivation for inquiring about Mayo. It is not clear at this point whether Denver is actively involved in the talks with Memphis.

Mayo, who has had a disappointing and controversial season in Memphis, is on the trading block, and the Knicks' hope is that he would satisfy Denver's desire for a promising young prospect. Though the third-year guard is coming off the bench and scoring less than 13 points a game this season, Mayo averaged 18 points over his first two years.

Rumors surfaced last month about Mayo possibly being traded to the Knicks, but the Knicks' only interest in him is to aid them in acquiring Anthony.

The Knicks will also need at least one first-round draft pick to grab Denver's attention, and New York is confident it can get such a pick for Anthony Randolph from one of several clubs. Sources say Indiana was willing to trade a first-round pick to New York for Randolph last summer.

Any Knicks package for Anthony would also likely include some combination of Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari or Landry Fields.

While the Nuggets weren't impressed with those names early in the season, their strong play during the Knicks' resurgence has upped their value, according to sources.

Meanwhile, the Nuggets continue to discuss a possible three-team deal with the Nets and Pistons. In a deal that could include more than 13 players, the Nets would receive Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Detroit's Richard Hamilton while Denver would get Nets rookie Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and several other minor players.

But even if the clubs agree to a deal, Anthony could kill it by refusing to sign an extension to play long-term in New Jersey. Several sources say Anthony does not want to play in New Jersey and has thus far given no indication that he would sign such an extension.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, has been pushing for a deal with New Jersey and, in an effort to get the star to sign off on the trade, several people have been telling Anthony that New York doesn't want to break up its current team to get him, according to sources.

Sources say that's why Anthony made the curious comment on Monday in which he wondered whether the Knicks even wanted him.

"New York is playing well right now. I don't think they're looking at me," Anthony said. "They wouldn't want me to come in there and mess what they have up. That's what I've read."

But the Knicks are very interested in Anthony. The club's preference would be to sign him as a free agent next summer and thereby keep their current roster intact.

But in that scenario, Anthony would not receive the $65 million extension and with a new collective bargaining agreement on the horizon, he would risk losing millions of dollars by entering free agency.

If Anthony eventually nixes a move to New Jersey and tells Denver he will only sign an extension with New York, the Nuggets would likely either trade him to the Knicks or a club like Houston that would be willing to trade for him without his signing an extension.

http://sports.espn.go.com...ba/news/story?id=6019859

The New York Knicks have reached out to Memphis about participating in a three-team deal that would send Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo to Denver and Carmelo Anthony to New York, according to league sources.

Talks are in the infant stages and nothing is imminent, but the discussions are a sign of the Knicks' increased aggressiveness in trying to trade for Anthony.

Emboldened by their belief that Anthony will refuse to sign a three-year, $65 million contract extension with the New Jersey Nets, the Knicks have stepped up their efforts to bring the Nuggets star to New York.

1975.jpg

Anthony

4389.jpg

Mayo

The Knicks have tried to engage Denver in trade talks all season, but the Nuggets, unmoved by the players New York has to offer, have been unwilling to partake in significant discussions. Sources, however, say that is changing as the Nuggets themselves wonder whether Anthony is willing to go to New Jersey.

The Knicks understand they need to recruit another trade partner or two in order to put together a package Denver would be interested in, and that's their motivation for inquiring about Mayo. It is not clear at this point whether Denver is actively involved in the talks with Memphis.

Mayo, who has had a disappointing and controversial season in Memphis, is on the trading block, and the Knicks' hope is that he would satisfy Denver's desire for a promising young prospect. Though the third-year guard is coming off the bench and scoring less than 13 points a game this season, Mayo averaged 18 points over his first two years.

Rumors surfaced last month about Mayo possibly being traded to the Knicks, but the Knicks' only interest in him is to aid them in acquiring Anthony.

The Knicks will also need at least one first-round draft pick to grab Denver's attention, and New York is confident it can get such a pick for Anthony Randolph from one of several clubs. Sources say Indiana was willing to trade a first-round pick to New York for Randolph last summer.

Any Knicks package for Anthony would also likely include some combination of Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari or Landry Fields.

While the Nuggets weren't impressed with those names early in the season, their strong play during the Knicks' resurgence has upped their value, according to sources.

Meanwhile, the Nuggets continue to discuss a possible three-team deal with the Nets and Pistons. In a deal that could include more than 13 players, the Nets would receive Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Detroit's Richard Hamilton while Denver would get Nets rookie Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and several other minor players.

But even if the clubs agree to a deal, Anthony could kill it by refusing to sign an extension to play long-term in New Jersey. Several sources say Anthony does not want to play in New Jersey and has thus far given no indication that he would sign such an extension.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, has been pushing for a deal with New Jersey and, in an effort to get the star to sign off on the trade, several people have been telling Anthony that New York doesn't want to break up its current team to get him, according to sources.

Sources say that's why Anthony made the curious comment on Monday in which he wondered whether the Knicks even wanted him.

"New York is playing well right now. I don't think they're looking at me," Anthony said. "They wouldn't want me to come in there and mess what they have up. That's what I've read."

But the Knicks are very interested in Anthony. The club's preference would be to sign him as a free agent next summer and thereby keep their current roster intact.

But in that scenario, Anthony would not receive the $65 million extension and with a new collective bargaining agreement on the horizon, he would risk losing millions of dollars by entering free agency.

If Anthony eventually nixes a move to New Jersey and tells Denver he will only sign an extension with New York, the Nuggets would likely either trade him to the Knicks or a club like Houston that would be willing to trade for him without his signing an extension.

http://sports.espn.go.com...ba/news/story?id=6019859

what i dont understand for the whole grizz/nuggets/knicks thing is what do the Grizz get in return?

i mean the only thing i see them gettin is fields? cause chandler/gallo would sit behind #22.

Randolph to the Grizz doesnt make sense, and im sure the Grizz would want player in return for mayo, not just a 1st rounder.

what i dont understand for the whole grizz/nuggets/knicks thing is what do the Grizz get in return?

i mean the only thing i see them gettin is fields? cause chandler/gallo would sit behind #22.

Randolph to the Grizz doesnt make sense, and im sure the Grizz would want player in return for mayo, not just a 1st rounder.

what? anthony randolph still has first round pick value??

since he couldn't get it together playing for GSW...and that still seems to be the case with NY...
didn't think he'd get that value in return

what? anthony randolph still has first round pick value??

since he couldn't get it together playing for GSW...and that still seems to be the case with NY...
didn't think he'd get that value in return

I think J.R. Smith and Anthony Randolph could make sense for the Grizz. They also reportedly had interest in Wilson Chandler too.

I think J.R. Smith and Anthony Randolph could make sense for the Grizz. They also reportedly had interest in Wilson Chandler too.

if this goes through, i think its gonna be something like this...

Grizzlies: JR Smith, Anthony Randolph, 2nd rounder from Knicks

Nuggets: Mayo, Chandler, one of Fields/Gallo, Eddy Curry

Knicks: Melo

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Al3xis wrote:
Seymore CAKE wrote:
Originally Posted by Big J 33

At the end he doesn't lose credibility, he says if Melo signs with the Nets, then what's what he was meant to do... meaning then it's clear Melo doesn't care about winning and just wants the guaranteed money in the short term. I dislike Simmons normally, but I don't have a problem with that article.

I bet you don't... if he doesn't sign with the knicks he doesn't care about winning... I've heard it all 
laugh.gif

disregard the Knicks, if he agreed to an extension and went with the Nets, it'd be impossible to say winning is his #1 priority at this point, wouldn't it?

Depends... If they aren't done making moves then who's to say that isn't the best place for him?

If they can do what they plan and go after CP, then him Chris & Brook are a pretty good tandum. Not saying it would be better than the Knicks but just saying.  I find it funny that when we stated this about LeBron last year in terms of him choosing the Bulls or the Knicks a vast majority of you ilk shot that down as a fallacy and said it was B.S. but now that the shoe's on the other foot it makes all the sense in the world no?
laugh.gif

They have no cap flexibility if Melo signs the extension and comes to NJ with Brook's contract tying up a lot of money and all of that excess money spent on the wings this offseason.  No one is going to take on those bad contracts IMO.  And Brook has regressed A LOT in the last couple years, he was basically the focal point on what New Jersey was going to be selling Carmelo on along with the arena in Brooklyn.  Not going to say that NYK is the best place for him to go to because I think the team might be giving away too many pieces for him and they have a lot of holes to begin with as it is.  Just saying, the Nets do not make a lot of sense.  As much as I think Chauncey will help them as well, he's not going to be happy leaving Denver where he's been saying he wants to finish his career and take up a FO job in the future.  His family is very content and comfortable there.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Al3xis wrote:
Seymore CAKE wrote:
Originally Posted by Big J 33

At the end he doesn't lose credibility, he says if Melo signs with the Nets, then what's what he was meant to do... meaning then it's clear Melo doesn't care about winning and just wants the guaranteed money in the short term. I dislike Simmons normally, but I don't have a problem with that article.

I bet you don't... if he doesn't sign with the knicks he doesn't care about winning... I've heard it all 
laugh.gif

disregard the Knicks, if he agreed to an extension and went with the Nets, it'd be impossible to say winning is his #1 priority at this point, wouldn't it?

Depends... If they aren't done making moves then who's to say that isn't the best place for him?

If they can do what they plan and go after CP, then him Chris & Brook are a pretty good tandum. Not saying it would be better than the Knicks but just saying.  I find it funny that when we stated this about LeBron last year in terms of him choosing the Bulls or the Knicks a vast majority of you ilk shot that down as a fallacy and said it was B.S. but now that the shoe's on the other foot it makes all the sense in the world no?
laugh.gif

They have no cap flexibility if Melo signs the extension and comes to NJ with Brook's contract tying up a lot of money and all of that excess money spent on the wings this offseason.  No one is going to take on those bad contracts IMO.  And Brook has regressed A LOT in the last couple years, he was basically the focal point on what New Jersey was going to be selling Carmelo on along with the arena in Brooklyn.  Not going to say that NYK is the best place for him to go to because I think the team might be giving away too many pieces for him and they have a lot of holes to begin with as it is.  Just saying, the Nets do not make a lot of sense.  As much as I think Chauncey will help them as well, he's not going to be happy leaving Denver where he's been saying he wants to finish his career and take up a FO job in the future.  His family is very content and comfortable there.

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

horrible trade for the grizz
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

can thread starter put all updates in the first post? kinda sucks having to read through everything

can thread starter put all updates in the first post? kinda sucks having to read through everything

That seems much better for everyone rather than that NJ trade that seems to make no sense what so ever.

That seems much better for everyone rather than that NJ trade that seems to make no sense what so ever.

Originally Posted by air max 87

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Why?  Mayo obviously isn't in their plans for the future.  JR will contribute and AR will be getting minutes there.

Back
Top Bottom