Official Carmelo Anthony Trade Rumors Thread (Carmelo is Officially a Knick)

Yea the Knicks gutting their team to get him this year is pointless. The Nets wont be good and Melo will walk at then end of the season anyways. And be a Knick next year and you dont have to give up Gallo, Chandler or any other one of the parts that are making them a good team right now.

Melo's pushing for the veterans to go just so he can see if maybe it will work. But I dont see it. The only way I see it is if Melo and CP3 have some sort of agreement that CP is gonna sign with the Nets after next year. Otherwise I see Melo in the Orange and Blue next year.

Yea the Knicks gutting their team to get him this year is pointless. The Nets wont be good and Melo will walk at then end of the season anyways. And be a Knick next year and you dont have to give up Gallo, Chandler or any other one of the parts that are making them a good team right now.

Melo's pushing for the veterans to go just so he can see if maybe it will work. But I dont see it. The only way I see it is if Melo and CP3 have some sort of agreement that CP is gonna sign with the Nets after next year. Otherwise I see Melo in the Orange and Blue next year.

As a Nets fan, I don't think we could mess this up. We're not expected to sign Melo w/o an extension.

If he doesn't sign then fine. We have a plethora of draft picks. First round draft picks. We'll build the conventional way.

If he signs ok. And we still have like 2 draft picks. IMO Billy King has no problem backing off keeping everything we've got.

I still think we'll trade Murphy and someone else for Rip. Neither are getting any burn and can still play.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by Sexy Beast from the East

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

If this deal goes through, the Nets will be saving the Knicks from themselves. Sometimes, the best move is the one you don't make.

This.  

If I was a Knicks fan, I wouldn't be mad at Melo being in NJ. 

how come?
I've been saying this in the Knicks thread but gutting this team now is stupid with how well we're doing and us trading for Melo isn't gonna make us a top team without the role players. The only team I was worried about getting him was the Bulls because they have a good team already. The Nets suck.

i agree on the gutting the team thing, i thought u were referring to ever, like next season.

Originally Posted by Sexy Beast from the East

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

If this deal goes through, the Nets will be saving the Knicks from themselves. Sometimes, the best move is the one you don't make.

This.  

If I was a Knicks fan, I wouldn't be mad at Melo being in NJ. 

how come?
I've been saying this in the Knicks thread but gutting this team now is stupid with how well we're doing and us trading for Melo isn't gonna make us a top team without the role players. The only team I was worried about getting him was the Bulls because they have a good team already. The Nets suck.

i agree on the gutting the team thing, i thought u were referring to ever, like next season.

The Nets have six draft picks over the next three years, three of their own, plus the Lakers in 2011 (protected 1-18) along with the Warriors in (protected 1-7) and the Rockets (lottery protected) in 2012.

Either we contend now or draft prepare for the future and really contend.

The Nets have six draft picks over the next three years, three of their own, plus the Lakers in 2011 (protected 1-18) along with the Warriors in (protected 1-7) and the Rockets (lottery protected) in 2012.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Hope you watching college basketball or Euroball diligently cuz I see nothing but long term projects.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Hope you watching college basketball or Euroball diligently cuz I see nothing but long term projects.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

nets gut the team for mello but wont contend for the whole time hes there.

if i was mello i would just wait the rest of the season and just walk at that point and chose where i wanna go. thats it. stop tryin to force the issue now cause at this point it doesnt matter.

getting traded to a gutted nets team, no good.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

nets gut the team for mello but wont contend for the whole time hes there.

if i was mello i would just wait the rest of the season and just walk at that point and chose where i wanna go. thats it. stop tryin to force the issue now cause at this point it doesnt matter.

getting traded to a gutted nets team, no good.

The increasingly poor decisions of Carmelo Anthony

On a late-night bus ride in Beijing, at the 2008 Olympics, I talked with a highly respected NBA reporter who was extremely familiar with Carmelo Anthony. He said he would take Carmelo over Chris Bosh; I argued the opposite, based on Anthony’s history of boneheaded moves, mostly off the court. He just didn’t seem like someone you could trust with your franchise, I said.

Of course, the way Bosh burned bridges on the way out of Toronto, at best neither one of us was really right.

With that in mind, I’m starting to think that Carmelo Anthony could use better representation. Not to demean Leon Rose, the agent for the Denver Nuggets star, or fellow CAA powerbroker William Wesley, who is apparently also chatting away in his ear, but the decisions that Carmelo makes increasingly seem to be, er, poorly thought-out. Like, James Dolan-style.

This all started in the summer of 2006, when the stellar draft class of 2003 were deciding whether to re-sign with the teams that had chosen them. At the time, LeBron James stayed in Cleveland; Chris Bosh stayed in Toronto; Dwyane Wade stayed in Miami;  Carmelo stayed in Denver. Oh, and Darko Milicic had been traded from Detroit to Orlando with Carlos Arroyo for a first-round pick and journeyman centre Kevin Cato, whose gold Rolls Royce may have been the most cartoonishly extravagant car I have ever seen in person.

But while James, Bosh and Wade agreed to sign four-year deals with an opt-out clause after three, Carmelo stuck with a five-year deal. This, clearly, was dumb. Partly, it was dumb because the deal would carry over into the strange unknown world of a new collective bargaining agreement, which even then was believed to be headed towards more restrictive terms, and which now seems destined to be achieved after a lockout of indeterminate length and rancor.

So while LeBron, Wade and Bosh were all eligible for six-year, US$121-million contracts when they were free agents last summer — remember last summer? — Carmelo is now eligible to sign a three-year, US$65-million extension, and then another deal in a far less congenial labour environment. If he doesn’t sign by the time this CBA expires, then who knows how many millions he will lose?

As it stands, the money is not the only thing Carmelo missed. While Bosh, LeBron and Wade were putting together a team which has won 21 of its last 22 games, and which I still say will win in the neighbourhood of five championships barring catastrophic injury or a misplaced meteor, Carmelo seems destined to join … the New Jersey Nets.

Great move, Carmelo. Yeah, you wanted to go to the Knicks, but they didn’t have the trade assets after razing the village in a doomed attempt to grab LeBron. After an awfully drawn-out trade negotiation — the possible fruits of which are detailed here — it’s New Jersey.

Which means that Carmelo Anthony would make a lousy general manager, too. He reportedly has eased his hardline stance against an extension in Jersey thanks to the possible inclusion of 33-year-old shooting guard Rip Hamilton, and also his current teammate, 34-year-old point guard Chauncey Billups.

So, great. Those three, plus young and apparently regressing centre Brook Lopez, would make for an excellent sixth seed in the East, where to be out of the playoff race you essentially need to have set off a bomb in your locker room (see: Cleveland). The Nets are 10-27 now, and made such canny acquisitions this summer as Travis Outlaw (five years, US$35-million, .379 shooting, 12.0 points per game), along with Anthony Morrow and Johan Petro, who will be sent away if the trade goes through. Oh, and Outlaw essentially plays Carmelo’s position, by the way.

So what I’m saying is that Carmelo Anthony has made mistakes, and seems destined to make more. Forget the possibility of signing Chris Paul in 2012 for a minute; ignore the Nets’ pending move to Brooklyn. This is a franchise with a rookie owner and a retread general manager (Billy King, who didn’t exactly maximize the Allen Iverson era in Philly, the 2001 Finals appearance notwithstanding), and that has just about no hope of getting into the weight category of the Miami Heat.

Had he not gone for the five-year deal in 2006, Carmelo could have landed in New York with Amare Stoudemire, or with a New Jersey team that didn’t have to send away it’s No. 3 overall pick to get him. Hell, he could have landed with Blake Griffin and the Clippers. He could have enjoyed the whirl of the chase in the mad summer of 2010, rather than boxed himself into a corner as the lockout of 2011 looms ever nearer.

Instead, Denver is trying to squeeze every penny, and New Jersey is putting together a second-rate squad — we haven’t even mentioned a long-term extension for Billups, which is a terrible idea — and really, if Rip Hamilton was the tiebreaker, Denver could just trade for him and keep Carmelo, right? Well, except ‘Melo’s wife, MTV personality LaLa, apparently wants to be closer to New York. As Ken Berger of CBS Sports tweeted, “Rival team exec on Melo’s rationale: “He wants the money and he wants to be in New York. He gets the city he wants for the money he wants.

The increasingly poor decisions of Carmelo Anthony

On a late-night bus ride in Beijing, at the 2008 Olympics, I talked with a highly respected NBA reporter who was extremely familiar with Carmelo Anthony. He said he would take Carmelo over Chris Bosh; I argued the opposite, based on Anthony’s history of boneheaded moves, mostly off the court. He just didn’t seem like someone you could trust with your franchise, I said.

Of course, the way Bosh burned bridges on the way out of Toronto, at best neither one of us was really right.

With that in mind, I’m starting to think that Carmelo Anthony could use better representation. Not to demean Leon Rose, the agent for the Denver Nuggets star, or fellow CAA powerbroker William Wesley, who is apparently also chatting away in his ear, but the decisions that Carmelo makes increasingly seem to be, er, poorly thought-out. Like, James Dolan-style.

This all started in the summer of 2006, when the stellar draft class of 2003 were deciding whether to re-sign with the teams that had chosen them. At the time, LeBron James stayed in Cleveland; Chris Bosh stayed in Toronto; Dwyane Wade stayed in Miami;  Carmelo stayed in Denver. Oh, and Darko Milicic had been traded from Detroit to Orlando with Carlos Arroyo for a first-round pick and journeyman centre Kevin Cato, whose gold Rolls Royce may have been the most cartoonishly extravagant car I have ever seen in person.

But while James, Bosh and Wade agreed to sign four-year deals with an opt-out clause after three, Carmelo stuck with a five-year deal. This, clearly, was dumb. Partly, it was dumb because the deal would carry over into the strange unknown world of a new collective bargaining agreement, which even then was believed to be headed towards more restrictive terms, and which now seems destined to be achieved after a lockout of indeterminate length and rancor.

So while LeBron, Wade and Bosh were all eligible for six-year, US$121-million contracts when they were free agents last summer — remember last summer? — Carmelo is now eligible to sign a three-year, US$65-million extension, and then another deal in a far less congenial labour environment. If he doesn’t sign by the time this CBA expires, then who knows how many millions he will lose?

As it stands, the money is not the only thing Carmelo missed. While Bosh, LeBron and Wade were putting together a team which has won 21 of its last 22 games, and which I still say will win in the neighbourhood of five championships barring catastrophic injury or a misplaced meteor, Carmelo seems destined to join … the New Jersey Nets.

Great move, Carmelo. Yeah, you wanted to go to the Knicks, but they didn’t have the trade assets after razing the village in a doomed attempt to grab LeBron. After an awfully drawn-out trade negotiation — the possible fruits of which are detailed here — it’s New Jersey.

Which means that Carmelo Anthony would make a lousy general manager, too. He reportedly has eased his hardline stance against an extension in Jersey thanks to the possible inclusion of 33-year-old shooting guard Rip Hamilton, and also his current teammate, 34-year-old point guard Chauncey Billups.

So, great. Those three, plus young and apparently regressing centre Brook Lopez, would make for an excellent sixth seed in the East, where to be out of the playoff race you essentially need to have set off a bomb in your locker room (see: Cleveland). The Nets are 10-27 now, and made such canny acquisitions this summer as Travis Outlaw (five years, US$35-million, .379 shooting, 12.0 points per game), along with Anthony Morrow and Johan Petro, who will be sent away if the trade goes through. Oh, and Outlaw essentially plays Carmelo’s position, by the way.

So what I’m saying is that Carmelo Anthony has made mistakes, and seems destined to make more. Forget the possibility of signing Chris Paul in 2012 for a minute; ignore the Nets’ pending move to Brooklyn. This is a franchise with a rookie owner and a retread general manager (Billy King, who didn’t exactly maximize the Allen Iverson era in Philly, the 2001 Finals appearance notwithstanding), and that has just about no hope of getting into the weight category of the Miami Heat.

Had he not gone for the five-year deal in 2006, Carmelo could have landed in New York with Amare Stoudemire, or with a New Jersey team that didn’t have to send away it’s No. 3 overall pick to get him. Hell, he could have landed with Blake Griffin and the Clippers. He could have enjoyed the whirl of the chase in the mad summer of 2010, rather than boxed himself into a corner as the lockout of 2011 looms ever nearer.

Instead, Denver is trying to squeeze every penny, and New Jersey is putting together a second-rate squad — we haven’t even mentioned a long-term extension for Billups, which is a terrible idea — and really, if Rip Hamilton was the tiebreaker, Denver could just trade for him and keep Carmelo, right? Well, except ‘Melo’s wife, MTV personality LaLa, apparently wants to be closer to New York. As Ken Berger of CBS Sports tweeted, “Rival team exec on Melo’s rationale: “He wants the money and he wants to be in New York. He gets the city he wants for the money he wants.

What I don't get is why Leon Rose is working behind the scenes and trying to get 'Melo to the Nets when he ('Melo) really wants to go to the Knicks. Something just doesn't work out here. I don't think it's really 'Melo's choice anymore either. Denver really seems adamant with sending him to the Nets and not the Knicks.

Like I said earlier, Denver and 'Melo are playing a game of chicken right now. Either Denver gives in to 'Melo and trades him to the Knicks just to get something back or 'Melo is traded to a place he doesn't want to sign with and loses out on the money he's guaranteed to get this year.

I really don't see Denver letting 'Melo walk away for nothing though.

What I don't get is why Leon Rose is working behind the scenes and trying to get 'Melo to the Nets when he ('Melo) really wants to go to the Knicks. Something just doesn't work out here. I don't think it's really 'Melo's choice anymore either. Denver really seems adamant with sending him to the Nets and not the Knicks.

Like I said earlier, Denver and 'Melo are playing a game of chicken right now. Either Denver gives in to 'Melo and trades him to the Knicks just to get something back or 'Melo is traded to a place he doesn't want to sign with and loses out on the money he's guaranteed to get this year.

I really don't see Denver letting 'Melo walk away for nothing though.

No moves are happening until after the trade deadline. Lets get it through all your thick skulls now, please.

No moves are happening until after the trade deadline. Lets get it through all your thick skulls now, please.

Gotta love people that find positives out of an obvious bad situation. Sweet Lemons.

Gotta love people that find positives out of an obvious bad situation. Sweet Lemons.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...arris_could_be_flipped_to_dallas_or_portland/[/h1]
[h1]Devin Harris Could Be Flipped To Dallas Or Portland[/h1]
Jan 10, 2011 7:41 AM EST

Harris_Devin_njn.jpg
If Devin Harris ends up with Denver as part of the Carmelo Anthony blockbuster, he could be flipped in another trade soon after.

The Mavericks could approach the Nuggets about Harris if he ends up in Denver, according to sources with knowledge of the team's thinking.

Dallas is aware that Denver has little need for Harris with Ty Lawson on the roster and the veteran's larger contract.

The Mavericks traded Harris in a package that netted them Jason Kidd from the Nets back in 2008.

There will undoubtedly be competition for Harris if Denver acquires him and makes him available. The Trail Blazers have long been admirers of Harris and many teams are coveting a proven point guard.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...ve_pistons_second_rounder_if_they_take_petro/[/h1]
[h1]Nets Will Give Pistons Second-Rounder If They Take Petro[/h1]
Jan 10, 2011 3:32 PM EST

Petro_Johan_okc.jpg
The three-team trade between the Nets, Nuggets and Pistons continues to inch closer.

Sources told Ken Berger of CBS Sports that New Jersey and Detroit have essentially agreed that the Pistons would get a second-round pick for taking on Johan Petro's contract.

Including Petro in the trade was a point of contention for Detroit.

Another point of contention is that Denver would prefer not to send Devin Harris to New Jersey, so they can ship him to Portland (perhaps in the same deal) for Nicolas Batum.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71066/20110110/nuggets_trying_to_include_harrington_in_trade/[/h1]
[h1]Nuggets Trying To Include Harrington In Trade[/h1]

Jan 10, 2011 3:18 PM EST

Chris Broussard of True Hoop is reporting that the hold-up in the three-team trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey is Al Harrington.

Denver wants to include Harrington, who has four years and $28 million left on his contract, in the blockbuster deal.

The Nuggets want the Nets to take on Harrington, but New Jersey is wary of his contract.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71071/20110110/billups_misses_practice_with_headache/[/h1]
[h1]Billups Misses Practice With 'Headache'[/h1]Jan 10, 2011 3:46 PM EST

Billups_Chauncey_den.jpg
Amid rumors that a trade could send him from his native Denver to New Jersey, Chauncey Billups missed Monday's practice with a "headache."

Billups has been mentioned in the potential three-team deal that would send teammate Carmelo Anthony to the Nets.

He would prefer to remain in Denver and it was reported over the weekend that the veteran will seek a buyout if he's traded to New Jersey.

League sources told Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports that the Nets are willing to make Billups more comfortable with the trade by paying him the full $14.2 million he's due next season in the final year of his contract rather than buying him out for just $3.7 million this summer.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi..._guy_will_be_glad_if_knicks_dont_get_carmelo/[/h1]
[h1]Amar'e 'Likes Being The Guy,' Will Be Glad If Knicks Don't Get Carmelo
[/h1]
Jan 10, 2011 3:39 PM EST

A former Phoenix teammate of Amar'e Stoudemire says that the power forward would prefer that New York not add Carmelo Anthony.

"Amar'e will embrace any teammate, but if it were up to him, I know he'd rather just see the Knicks stay the way they are," said the former teammate.

"Amar'e likes being the guy. He likes the players that are around him. I know he's thinking, 'Why would we want to change this?'

"I don't think he's going to be that upset if the Knicks don't get Carmelo, I'll tell you that."

Stoudemire said on Friday that the Knicks "don't really need much."

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...arris_could_be_flipped_to_dallas_or_portland/[/h1]
[h1]Devin Harris Could Be Flipped To Dallas Or Portland[/h1]
Jan 10, 2011 7:41 AM EST

Harris_Devin_njn.jpg
If Devin Harris ends up with Denver as part of the Carmelo Anthony blockbuster, he could be flipped in another trade soon after.

The Mavericks could approach the Nuggets about Harris if he ends up in Denver, according to sources with knowledge of the team's thinking.

Dallas is aware that Denver has little need for Harris with Ty Lawson on the roster and the veteran's larger contract.

The Mavericks traded Harris in a package that netted them Jason Kidd from the Nets back in 2008.

There will undoubtedly be competition for Harris if Denver acquires him and makes him available. The Trail Blazers have long been admirers of Harris and many teams are coveting a proven point guard.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...ve_pistons_second_rounder_if_they_take_petro/[/h1]
[h1]Nets Will Give Pistons Second-Rounder If They Take Petro[/h1]
Jan 10, 2011 3:32 PM EST

Petro_Johan_okc.jpg
The three-team trade between the Nets, Nuggets and Pistons continues to inch closer.

Sources told Ken Berger of CBS Sports that New Jersey and Detroit have essentially agreed that the Pistons would get a second-round pick for taking on Johan Petro's contract.

Including Petro in the trade was a point of contention for Detroit.

Another point of contention is that Denver would prefer not to send Devin Harris to New Jersey, so they can ship him to Portland (perhaps in the same deal) for Nicolas Batum.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71066/20110110/nuggets_trying_to_include_harrington_in_trade/[/h1]
[h1]Nuggets Trying To Include Harrington In Trade[/h1]

Jan 10, 2011 3:18 PM EST

Chris Broussard of True Hoop is reporting that the hold-up in the three-team trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey is Al Harrington.

Denver wants to include Harrington, who has four years and $28 million left on his contract, in the blockbuster deal.

The Nuggets want the Nets to take on Harrington, but New Jersey is wary of his contract.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71071/20110110/billups_misses_practice_with_headache/[/h1]
[h1]Billups Misses Practice With 'Headache'[/h1]Jan 10, 2011 3:46 PM EST

Billups_Chauncey_den.jpg
Amid rumors that a trade could send him from his native Denver to New Jersey, Chauncey Billups missed Monday's practice with a "headache."

Billups has been mentioned in the potential three-team deal that would send teammate Carmelo Anthony to the Nets.

He would prefer to remain in Denver and it was reported over the weekend that the veteran will seek a buyout if he's traded to New Jersey.

League sources told Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports that the Nets are willing to make Billups more comfortable with the trade by paying him the full $14.2 million he's due next season in the final year of his contract rather than buying him out for just $3.7 million this summer.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi..._guy_will_be_glad_if_knicks_dont_get_carmelo/[/h1]
[h1]Amar'e 'Likes Being The Guy,' Will Be Glad If Knicks Don't Get Carmelo
[/h1]
Jan 10, 2011 3:39 PM EST

A former Phoenix teammate of Amar'e Stoudemire says that the power forward would prefer that New York not add Carmelo Anthony.

"Amar'e will embrace any teammate, but if it were up to him, I know he'd rather just see the Knicks stay the way they are," said the former teammate.

"Amar'e likes being the guy. He likes the players that are around him. I know he's thinking, 'Why would we want to change this?'

"I don't think he's going to be that upset if the Knicks don't get Carmelo, I'll tell you that."

Stoudemire said on Friday that the Knicks "don't really need much."

Back
Top Bottom