Official Carmelo Anthony Trade Rumors Thread (Carmelo is Officially a Knick)

Can someone tell me why everyone is just brushing off the Knicks title chances this year?

And before you go off on me I'm not even saying there a top 5 team in the L but damn any team with two top 12 players should be considered a "title contender". I know they have many holes, not much depth, and don't really play defense and again I'm not saying I'd pick them over the Celtics or Heat. But would it be that crazy if they beat the Bulls, Magic or Hawks? They're a threat to beat anyone. Maybe not favored but c'mon now..

I don't see how NYY gets anyone of those 3 and I don't get why Dwight would want to be in LA. These damn stars are pissing me off.

Can someone tell me why everyone is just brushing off the Knicks title chances this year?

And before you go off on me I'm not even saying there a top 5 team in the L but damn any team with two top 12 players should be considered a "title contender". I know they have many holes, not much depth, and don't really play defense and again I'm not saying I'd pick them over the Celtics or Heat. But would it be that crazy if they beat the Bulls, Magic or Hawks? They're a threat to beat anyone. Maybe not favored but c'mon now..

I don't see how NYY gets anyone of those 3 and I don't get why Dwight would want to be in LA. These damn stars are pissing me off.

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

dudes keep saying "they need a real defensive center"...regurgitating what they hear on ESPN....sheep, all of you.
but its true, we do need a real center....

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

dudes keep saying "they need a real defensive center"...regurgitating what they hear on ESPN....sheep, all of you.
but its true, we do need a real center....

Originally Posted by PMatic

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by HOOD17

It's finally over thank you based god.

If your the knicks who do you go after Cp3, D-Will, or Dwight? I say you go after Dwight.

May I ask how the Knicks can get any of those players? All 3 are worth max or near max contracts, especially Dwight. Melo and Amare are on the books 40+ mm (and increasing) for a while. Cap is 58mm and will probably decrease a little. They also have other players on the roster that get paid. It isn't happening in FA. They have no assets to trade. Thus, it isn't happening. 
Someone try to convince me otherwise. 
nerd.gif
It all depends on the cap set by the NBA.

As of now, the only players under contract beyond 2012 for the Knicks would be Amare ($19.9m), Melo(not sure how much he'll make first year of extension), Toney Douglas ($2m) and Renaldo Balkman ($1.6m).

Melo's extension kicks in next year (11-12), right? I believe the parameters are 3/65mm so I'm guessing he makes around 19 Y1 (11-12), 22 Y2, and 24 Y3. That would be mean 42mm on the books for 12-13 going into 2012 offseason plus the other small contracts you are talking about. Again, I don't see it happening. 

If your the knicks who do you go after Cp3, D-Will, or Dwight? I say you go after Dwight.

May I ask how the Knicks can get any of those players? All 3 are worth max or near max contracts, especially Dwight. Melo and Amare are on the books 40+ mm (and increasing) for a while. Cap is 58mm and will probably decrease a little. They also have other players on the roster that get paid. It isn't happening in FA. They have no assets to trade. Thus, it isn't happening. 
nerd.gif

As of now, the only players under contract beyond 2012 for the Knicks would be Amare ($19.9m), Melo(not sure how much he'll make first year of extension), Toney Douglas ($2m) and Renaldo Balkman ($1.6m).

Melo's extension kicks in next year (11-12), right? I believe the parameters are 3/65mm so I'm guessing he makes around 19 Y1 (11-12), 22 Y2, and 24 Y3. That would be mean 42mm on the books for 12-13 going into 2012 offseason plus the other small contracts you are talking about. Again, I don't see it happening. 

Originally Posted by srvballer

Negative. The positions they play is CRITICAL to the team success. Plus you need a team to win a chip. The Knicks ain't winning a title this year for the same reason why the Heat ain't.

They have flawed team dynamics. Especially in the Eastern Conference when they have to go through a TEAM with no weaknesses like the Celtics...it ain't happening.

Hell, if there's anybody who might "surprise" somebody in the East, it's the Bulls. And I put surprise in quotes because nobody should be shocked if we saw them in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Negative. The positions they play is CRITICAL to the team success. Plus you need a team to win a chip. The Knicks ain't winning a title this year for the same reason why the Heat ain't.

They have flawed team dynamics. Especially in the Eastern Conference when they have to go through a TEAM with no weaknesses like the Celtics...it ain't happening.

Hell, if there's anybody who might "surprise" somebody in the East, it's the Bulls. And I put surprise in quotes because nobody should be shocked if we saw them in the Eastern Conference Finals.

i think owners will find a way to roll back salary values against the cap if they rework the cap to lower it. there are going to be too many pissed owners that get even more raped by the luxury tax and/or lose cap flexibility if they don't.

i think owners will find a way to roll back salary values against the cap if they rework the cap to lower it. there are going to be too many pissed owners that get even more raped by the luxury tax and/or lose cap flexibility if they don't.

nerd.gif

If I remember correctly, then melo makes 21M on the first year of the extension.

nerd.gif

If I remember correctly, then melo makes 21M on the first year of the extension.

nerd.gif

Valid points.

However I don't see New York committing to long term contracts beyond 2012 over the summer. Also the contracts of Douglas and Balkman can easily be traded to get them under the cap as much as possible just like Miami did with Cook and Beasley last summer.

It's ignorant to say a third all star l is definitley coming to New York but it's also ignorant to say New York has no shot at a third all star without knowing what the new CBA will be.

nerd.gif

Valid points.

However I don't see New York committing to long term contracts beyond 2012 over the summer. Also the contracts of Douglas and Balkman can easily be traded to get them under the cap as much as possible just like Miami did with Cook and Beasley last summer.

It's ignorant to say a third all star l is definitley coming to New York but it's also ignorant to say New York has no shot at a third all star without knowing what the new CBA will be.

at this point only the celtics and lakers are real title contenders

at this point only the celtics and lakers are real title contenders

Getting a defensive center (Dalembert please) will make us a top 3 team in the East. Besides that we're still a year or 2 away

Getting a defensive center (Dalembert please) will make us a top 3 team in the East. Besides that we're still a year or 2 away

We went through something similar to this four years ago;

meloai.jpg

Kind of funny we can draw a parallel between these two trades.

We went through something similar to this four years ago;

meloai.jpg

Kind of funny we can draw a parallel between these two trades.

Back
Top Bottom