Official Carmelo Anthony Trade Rumors Thread (Carmelo is Officially a Knick)

[h1]If not traded, Anthony would take "real hard look" at signing extension with Nuggets[/h1]
By Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post

Posted: 02/09/2011 01:27:50 PM MST

Updated: 02/09/2011 04:14:19 PM MST

OAKLAND, CALIF. — Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony said today he would "take a real hard look" at signing a three-year, $65 million contract extension with the Nuggets if he is not dealt by the Feb. 24 trading deadline.

The Nuggets have had the contract extension on the table since June. This is the first time since he was offered the contract that Anthony said publicly he might sign it.

Talking this morning after the team's shootaround, Anthony brushed off recent reports that he might be traded to the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I've never heard of that. That was a new one," Anthony said. "It is what it is. Everyday is something different. I guess now is the Lakers. Until I hear something from the people that I'm supposed to hear something from, then I don't pay no attention to it."

Anthony said he hasn't heard any update from management about a potential trade, and if he isn't moved, he might sign. "I was thinking it was something that I would take a real hard look at ... and make my decision."

Though Anthony has always said he was keeping his options open, he hadn't talked publicly about possibly signing until today.

"As the days go on, that's something that I think about, that nothing might happen, that I'll be here, whether I have to deal with the free-agency market or re-sign the extension here with the Nuggets," he said.

Asked specifically to clarify if he might sign the extension if not traded, Anthony said, "Yeah."

A key regarding that decision, Anthony said, would be understanding what the Nuggets' plan is going forward after this season.

"I'd have to really know and understand what the future holds," Anthony said. "I'm hearing things about what direction they want to go in; they want to get younger and things like that. Though I'm 26, this is my eighth season. I'm not getting younger as far as the years go. Before you know it, I'll be in my 10th, 11th season already. That's something that I really got to take a look at."

The Nuggets are fielding offers from around the league for Anthony. The New York Knicks have long been considered the team Anthony most wants to play for, should he leave Denver. Trade talks with the Knicks are ongoing, as they are with other teams.

Anthony said it wouldn't be an easy decision on whether to sign the extension, nor a quick one. But, he admits to giving it more thought than at any other time since the start of the season because of the impending trade deadline.

Anthony is one of a number of Nuggets whose contracts either expire at the end of the season, or have an opt-out clause that would make them a free agent. Anthony has an opt-out clause, as does center Nene. The Nuggets are also working on a contract extension with coach George Karl.

As each day goes by, other Nuggets have said that it gets easier, that things appear more stable around the team. Anthony said all the trade talk isn't wearing him down and that the team needs to keep fighting to improve its playoff position.

"I think they feed off of me, and my energy," said Anthony, who is averaging 24.6 points and a career-high 7.8 rebounds. "If I come in here and my head is down and moping around and not practicing and not playing hard in games, then they are going to do the same thing. As long as I keep coming in and do what I gotta do and being the guy that I am and the person I am, then they have no worries about it."

Still, he said he is upset that there is a perception that he wants to leave Denver.

"I think a lot of people just look at the moment right now and don't realize all of the other years that I've put in and all of the stuff that I've done, not just for the organization, but for the city of Denver," he said. "And not just basketball, but off the court, too. I think a lot of people just look past that."

Chris Dempsey: 303-954-1279 or [email protected]

[h1]If not traded, Anthony would take "real hard look" at signing extension with Nuggets[/h1]
By Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post

Posted: 02/09/2011 01:27:50 PM MST

Updated: 02/09/2011 04:14:19 PM MST

OAKLAND, CALIF. — Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony said today he would "take a real hard look" at signing a three-year, $65 million contract extension with the Nuggets if he is not dealt by the Feb. 24 trading deadline.

The Nuggets have had the contract extension on the table since June. This is the first time since he was offered the contract that Anthony said publicly he might sign it.

Talking this morning after the team's shootaround, Anthony brushed off recent reports that he might be traded to the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I've never heard of that. That was a new one," Anthony said. "It is what it is. Everyday is something different. I guess now is the Lakers. Until I hear something from the people that I'm supposed to hear something from, then I don't pay no attention to it."

Anthony said he hasn't heard any update from management about a potential trade, and if he isn't moved, he might sign. "I was thinking it was something that I would take a real hard look at ... and make my decision."

Though Anthony has always said he was keeping his options open, he hadn't talked publicly about possibly signing until today.

"As the days go on, that's something that I think about, that nothing might happen, that I'll be here, whether I have to deal with the free-agency market or re-sign the extension here with the Nuggets," he said.

Asked specifically to clarify if he might sign the extension if not traded, Anthony said, "Yeah."

A key regarding that decision, Anthony said, would be understanding what the Nuggets' plan is going forward after this season.

"I'd have to really know and understand what the future holds," Anthony said. "I'm hearing things about what direction they want to go in; they want to get younger and things like that. Though I'm 26, this is my eighth season. I'm not getting younger as far as the years go. Before you know it, I'll be in my 10th, 11th season already. That's something that I really got to take a look at."

The Nuggets are fielding offers from around the league for Anthony. The New York Knicks have long been considered the team Anthony most wants to play for, should he leave Denver. Trade talks with the Knicks are ongoing, as they are with other teams.

Anthony said it wouldn't be an easy decision on whether to sign the extension, nor a quick one. But, he admits to giving it more thought than at any other time since the start of the season because of the impending trade deadline.

Anthony is one of a number of Nuggets whose contracts either expire at the end of the season, or have an opt-out clause that would make them a free agent. Anthony has an opt-out clause, as does center Nene. The Nuggets are also working on a contract extension with coach George Karl.

As each day goes by, other Nuggets have said that it gets easier, that things appear more stable around the team. Anthony said all the trade talk isn't wearing him down and that the team needs to keep fighting to improve its playoff position.

"I think they feed off of me, and my energy," said Anthony, who is averaging 24.6 points and a career-high 7.8 rebounds. "If I come in here and my head is down and moping around and not practicing and not playing hard in games, then they are going to do the same thing. As long as I keep coming in and do what I gotta do and being the guy that I am and the person I am, then they have no worries about it."

Still, he said he is upset that there is a perception that he wants to leave Denver.

"I think a lot of people just look at the moment right now and don't realize all of the other years that I've put in and all of the stuff that I've done, not just for the organization, but for the city of Denver," he said. "And not just basketball, but off the court, too. I think a lot of people just look past that."

Chris Dempsey: 303-954-1279 or [email protected]

I'm not into the NBA, so bear with me. You're telling me (as an outside fan) that Carmelo would turn down an extension with the Lakers so he can play for the Knicks? If that's truly the case, than I would like to think he would be praised by Knicks just as much as LeBron would have been.

I'm not into the NBA, so bear with me. You're telling me (as an outside fan) that Carmelo would turn down an extension with the Lakers so he can play for the Knicks? If that's truly the case, than I would like to think he would be praised by Knicks just as much as LeBron would have been.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]"I'd have to really know and understand what the future holds," Anthony said. "I'm hearing things about what direction they want to go in; they want to get younger and things like that. Though I'm 26, this is my eighth season. I'm not getting younger as far as the years go. Before you know it, I'll be in my 10th, 11th season already. That's something that I really got to take a look at."[/color]
[/color]

Melo ain't trying to stick around if Denver goes into a semi-rebuilding mode. I think if he re-signs with the Nuggets then all the other pieces kinda fall into place (Nene, Karl, etc)...

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]"I'd have to really know and understand what the future holds," Anthony said. "I'm hearing things about what direction they want to go in; they want to get younger and things like that. Though I'm 26, this is my eighth season. I'm not getting younger as far as the years go. Before you know it, I'll be in my 10th, 11th season already. That's something that I really got to take a look at."[/color]
[/color]

Melo ain't trying to stick around if Denver goes into a semi-rebuilding mode. I think if he re-signs with the Nuggets then all the other pieces kinda fall into place (Nene, Karl, etc)...

Melo doesn't want to spend another 3-5 years "rebuilding" the nuggets. Might think that the Knicks are closer to winning a championship than the Nuggets. I wouldn't mind Melo&Nene both coming to NYC
smile.gif
. Knicks really need a defending/rebounding center.

Melo doesn't want to spend another 3-5 years "rebuilding" the nuggets. Might think that the Knicks are closer to winning a championship than the Nuggets. I wouldn't mind Melo&Nene both coming to NYC
smile.gif
. Knicks really need a defending/rebounding center.

Well the Knicks better up there ante to include at least 2 of the 3 Fields/Gallo/Chandler or maybe all 3 cause Denver's not taking that deal. I think that if this doesn't end up getting done by the All-Star Game next Sunday he'll just finish the season out with the McNuggets.

Well the Knicks better up there ante to include at least 2 of the 3 Fields/Gallo/Chandler or maybe all 3 cause Denver's not taking that deal. I think that if this doesn't end up getting done by the All-Star Game next Sunday he'll just finish the season out with the McNuggets.

Donnie's not scraping the team for Melo. Their mindset is if he is going to come to NY, he'll come in the offseason so why implode the team for him? If he comes great, if not they'll start planning for the next couple years of free agency while still putting a competitive team out there.

Donnie's not scraping the team for Melo. Their mindset is if he is going to come to NY, he'll come in the offseason so why implode the team for him? If he comes great, if not they'll start planning for the next couple years of free agency while still putting a competitive team out there.

I don't understand why Knicks fans don't want to "gut" the team. Hell if I was NY I would give up everyone but Amar'e for Anthony. You could go to Europe and find 50 players just as talented Gallinari.

I don't understand why Knicks fans don't want to "gut" the team. Hell if I was NY I would give up everyone but Amar'e for Anthony. You could go to Europe and find 50 players just as talented Gallinari.

Originally Posted by TonyReali

knicks fans dont grasp that concept, Gallo is overrated as !@%#, a streaky shooter who has below average defense.

i would beg the nuggets to take gallo before chandler.

knicks fans dont grasp that concept, Gallo is overrated as !@%#, a streaky shooter who has below average defense.

Originally Posted by air max 87

If you get rid of BOTH Gallo & Chandler, you have no bench player to come in behind Melo who can provide offense. Landry Fields is a great glue guy, he does all the dirty work and puts up great numbers for a SG (he gets between 6 to 10 rebounds a NIGHT as a SG). He can guard PGs better than Felton & Douglas, so he's extremely valuable.

The reason we don't want to give up Gallo is because considering the kind of player Melo is (can penetrate and also has a great mid-range jumper), you play a small lineup (Amare/Gallo/Melo at the 5, 4, 3), Melo will demand double teams and open up shots for Gallo, who is lethal from outside.

Chandler is expendable because you're basically getting the same player back but better.

I know you're supposed to give up talent to get talent but we have leverage whether people want to believe it or not. We know Melo wants to play in NYC, we know his wife wants him to be here. He obviously isn't keen to the idea of signing an extension elsewhere either. The Lakers can't offer a draft pick which at least the Knicks can do.

Finally and most importantly, if the Nuggets decide to hold on to Melo and he walks during the off-season, the Nuggets don't want to become what the Cavaliers are. They see what happens when you let your franchise player go for nothing, you're practically a D-League team. They see the cautionary tale in Cleveland.

They already messed up with not taking the deal earlier in the season from NJ, and with every day that passes, Melo's value decreases in terms of a return. The hype machine (ESPN, "sources") are trying to get the Knicks to ante up. Donnie Walsh is entirely too smart for that, he knows when to call a bluff. I have the utmost faith in Donnie doing what is best for the organization.

As a die-hard Knicks fan, I'd rather not see Melo come here rather than gut our core. He's a great player but we can't take a step back in order to get one very good player (not quite elite). We hold all the cards and I don't want to see other teams bully us into giving up more than we want. Melo knows what NY has to offer, he has the ability to sign here during the off-season. It's all about what he wants.

If you get rid of BOTH Gallo & Chandler, you have no bench player to come in behind Melo who can provide offense. Landry Fields is a great glue guy, he does all the dirty work and puts up great numbers for a SG (he gets between 6 to 10 rebounds a NIGHT as a SG). He can guard PGs better than Felton & Douglas, so he's extremely valuable.

The reason we don't want to give up Gallo is because considering the kind of player Melo is (can penetrate and also has a great mid-range jumper), you play a small lineup (Amare/Gallo/Melo at the 5, 4, 3), Melo will demand double teams and open up shots for Gallo, who is lethal from outside.

Chandler is expendable because you're basically getting the same player back but better.

I know you're supposed to give up talent to get talent but we have leverage whether people want to believe it or not. We know Melo wants to play in NYC, we know his wife wants him to be here. He obviously isn't keen to the idea of signing an extension elsewhere either. The Lakers can't offer a draft pick which at least the Knicks can do.

Finally and most importantly, if the Nuggets decide to hold on to Melo and he walks during the off-season, the Nuggets don't want to become what the Cavaliers are. They see what happens when you let your franchise player go for nothing, you're practically a D-League team. They see the cautionary tale in Cleveland.

They already messed up with not taking the deal earlier in the season from NJ, and with every day that passes, Melo's value decreases in terms of a return. The hype machine (ESPN, "sources") are trying to get the Knicks to ante up. Donnie Walsh is entirely too smart for that, he knows when to call a bluff. I have the utmost faith in Donnie doing what is best for the organization.

As a die-hard Knicks fan, I'd rather not see Melo come here rather than gut our core. He's a great player but we can't take a step back in order to get one very good player (not quite elite). We hold all the cards and I don't want to see other teams bully us into giving up more than we want. Melo knows what NY has to offer, he has the ability to sign here during the off-season. It's all about what he wants.

exactly,  dudes put their players on a pedastal.   if i'm a knicks fan, anyone on that team is fair game other then amare.  that team hasn't done crap since the 99-00 season.  that's 11 years ago and you have a chance to get a top 10 player in the league and your skepical on trading gallinari.  all i can say is wow
laugh.gif
   some dude on espn wrote an article about the knicks purusing melo and why they should get him now and compared his situation to the cliff lee situation where the yankees missed out on lee because they were too stuborn to give up a minor league player.  a minor league player pretty much cost them a return trip to the world series while cliff lee beat them once on his way to the world series, they assumed they could get him in free agency and look how that went.  unless donnie is 125% sure he can get melo in the offseason and they've worked something out behind the scenes where he's almost certain melos coming,  you get that trade done now because you don't know what can happen in the offseason.

at the end of the day  wilson chandlers and gallinaris come a dime a dozen,   a player like carmelo anthony is much harder to aquire.

Back
Top Bottom