***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

is this song detrimental to the youth

the weeknd has probably directly caused more people to experiment with drugs than future

Last edited:
Those old rappers were heavily criticized back in their day too. It always feel on deaf ears the same way futures criticism will when there's a newer artist out.

Last edited:
Mysonne is three years older than Future.

the point still stands why is it future and 21 savage and young thug who are in these types of convos and not guys like the one in your avy

its like ****** turn 30 and think they farrakhan or something :lol: knowing damn well they have dopeboy music in their rotation even if its from 10-15 years ago the lox, hov, dips, etc. they all used more words to talk about the same **** future or thug does

Last edited:
When did this become a older rappers did this too discussion?

Is it not possible that a a 36-37 year old that lived the same lifestyle and was in the same industry have an opinion on culture that may be different from when he was younger?

I can say that Camron and Dipset made tremendously better music than YFN Lucci...and also be of the mind that the pulse of their image and music also had destructive elements....no?

Is it not possible that a a 36-37 year old that lived the same lifestyle and was in the same industry have an opinion on culture that may be different from when he was younger?

I can say that Camron and Dipset made tremendously better music than YFN Lucci...and also be of the mind that the pulse of their image and music also had destructive elements....no?

stop making sense.

absolutely

i guess i was just asking why those names were conveniently being left out now that everyone suddenly has morals about the nonstop prison liquor sex and drugs commercial that rap has been since snoop dogg's day

Last edited:
So Mysonne isn't supposed to complain about what rappers are doing NOW, he's supposed to complain about what happen 20 years ago?

That's the argument being made :lol:

It doesn't matter that people are dying, right?

As if Screw, Yams, Pimp C and countless others aren't enough

So dudes are mad someone is trying to protect a generation? Some of you are even dumber than I thought.

Let us kill ourselves :lol:

was dmx out here rapping about how cool smoking crack was?

dudes playing dumb asking questions they know the answers to already.

So Mysonne isn't supposed to complain about what rappers are doing NOW, he's supposed to complain about what happen 20 years ago?

That's the argument being made :lol:

It doesn't matter that people are dying, right?

As if Screw, Yams, Pimp C and countless others aren't enough

So dudes are mad someone is trying to protect a generation? Some of you are even dumber than I thought.

Let us kill ourselves :lol:

***** sad

You're moving the goal post. The initial argument was about Mys coming at Future for his lyrics adding the the degradation of the cummunity/culture. We are allowed to call out your hypocrisy in this scenario when you hail other rappers who also contributed to that degradation.

I think the discussion turned because of this comment.....

If there was a rapper advocating and promoting being a crackhead or using heroin would you dudes feel he same way?

There's this sentiment amongst rappers from the previous generation that they didn't rap about similar stuff. Like screw music never existed, Smoking Sherm wasn't being rapped about, woolies etc.

That's why this convo is going in this direction.

I don't think we'll ever see a rapper rapping or promoting being a crackhead :lol:.

But you never know with SOME of these new ******

You're moving the goal post. The initial argument was about Mys coming at Future for his lyrics adding the the degradation of the cummunity/culture. We are allowed to call out your hypocrisy in this scenario when you hail other rappers who also contributed to that degradation.

How?

If Mysonne talk about police brutality.

What if someone said, well you weren't concerned about police brutality in 1997. Why didn't you mention it back then.

That negates his message and point?

the point still stands why is it future and 21 savage and young thug who are in these types of convos and not guys like the one in your avy

its like ****** turn 30 and think they farrakhan or something :lol: knowing damn well they have dopeboy music in their rotation even if its from 10-15 years ago the lox, hov, dips, etc. they all used more words to talk about the same **** future or thug does

there's a VAST difference in what Jay, X, Cam etc etc and 21 Savage/Thug/ Future... they both speak on the streets but those "more words" usually go into giving more perspective and rationale on things. Those artist weren't just giving you sell that coke w/o giving you the consequences, the actual stories, the build up. With that said those artist did and still catch flack over there lyrics influence on the youth.

Also i Love Future but i'll be damned if he isn't one of the main rappers normalizing the use of life threatening drugs. That seems to be the main critique when it Comes to Future & it's a pretty reasonable one.

I don't think we'll ever see a rapper rapping or promoting being a crackhead :lol:.

Nah. That **** is coming. I peeped a video from that Xxxtentsion kid as he was talking about his mans getting jumped. Made it a minute. Cats is getting stranger and stranger.

The problem is...you ****** feel like if someone is criticizing rappers from your "era" you feel like it's YOU that's being criticized.

We see this theme everywhere. I'll use NT for example. ****** that got PS4s get mad when the XBOX ****** say PS4 is wack. ****** with iPhones get mad when Android ****** criticize iPhones. Kobe fans get salty when Someone says Lebron might be a better all around guy.

My fan days are long over. I can seperate myself from what I'm listening to. When it comes to music...I think ****** made better music and actually rapped yesteryears. But I also can recognize that it had its negative effects on my generation. We talking about NOW...because RIGHT NOW is what's happening.

I would hope when you ****** get older and maturer you won't be afraid to levy criticism when you see fit, and not just co-sign everything kids are doing because you don't want to sound like the "old guy". There's a balance to be had. That's how you impart wisdom.

I think the discussion turned because of this comment.....
There's this sentiment amongst rappers from the previous generation that they didn't rap about similar stuff. Like screw music never existed, Smoking Sherm wasn't being rapped about, woolies etc.

That's why this convo is going in this direction.

Nobody wanted to be a dust head or smoke laced weed. But they talked about what they did. A lot of it was also borough specific. In the BX and Yonkers I knew a lot of dust heads. We didn't do that.

People weren't doing that because of them. You have people doing it, because of Wayne or Future. Because people are followers and everything seems to become a fad these days.

The people who you saw doing that were considered dumb. It wasn't the cool thing and nothing to be proud of. That was their thing.

Last edited:
How?

If Mysonne talk about police brutality.

What if someone said, well you weren't concerned about police brutality in 1997. Why didn't you mention it back then.

That negates his message and point?

Not at all. People are allowed to grow, evolve, etc. That's a given, but not the point being argued by others in this thread.

Cats are saying that we don't acknowledge how detrimental songs like Trap ****** really are, and there is absolutely some truth to that because not all those who listen to it have the same wherewithal to discern the intent from the lyrics.

But these same guys who are piling on folks who are making a claim for Future have other rappers on a pedestal who made their claim to fame and fortune glorifying the drug culture as well. So it's hypocritical of them to disavow new acts when the predecessors lived the same lives.

The goal post got shifted because dudes tried making correlation of the new era of rappers influencing kids to try the new wave of drugs (molly, percs, xanz, lean, etc). But in reality, that same thing can be said of the previous generation wherein those acts promoted both drug dealing and drug use.

Last edited:
this discussion reminds me of why i think guys like Cole & Kendrick are so important in mainstream rap, because they provide a clear balance in their music & make it a point to try and educate their listeners. and i Hate that there's a small movement to make anything with actual substance "boring". Music is an artform & artform have never been just for mindless entertainment.

The problem is...you ****** feel like if someone is criticizing rappers from your "era" you feel like it's YOU that's being criticized.

We see this theme everywhere. I'll use NT for example. ****** that got PS4s get mad when the XBOX ****** say PS4 is wack. ****** with iPhones get mad when Android ****** criticize iPhones. Kobe fans get salty when Someone says Lebron might be a better all around guy.

My fan days are long over. I can seperate myself from what I'm listening to. When it comes to music...I think ****** made better music and actually rapped yesteryears. But I also can recognize that it had its negative effects on my generation. We talking about NOW...because RIGHT NOW is what's happening.

I would hope when you ****** get older and maturer you won't be afraid to levy criticism when you see fit, and not just co-sign everything kids are doing because you don't want to sound like the "old guy". There's a balance to be had. That's how you impart wisdom.

Never, never have I had a problem with levying critcism. I too am at a stage (have always been) where I can separate being a fan from the music....and recognize the effects.

What I won't do is buy into small, close minded simple narratives about things that have passed me. I'll levy the critcism, recongnize the appeal, see if I enjoy it or not...and move from there.

You know why these "generation" things always pop up? Because dudes like MySonne, you and magic....LOVE to pretend like **** was peaches and cream back in the day....to hold up some type of moral superiority to those that came after them. MySonne over there talking about how the OGs pulled up in Minks and taught him and his generation all the right things etc etc. Maybe for him....but ****** was **** up back then too.....let's not pretend.

Dipset is one of my favorite groups ever....but I recognized them and now....that they said or contributed in some problematic ways. I still enjoy the music. I won't paint them with a broad brush as being wholly destructive....and use them as an indictment on their generation. Because I know there was more to that.

I take it for what it is man.

/rant :lol:

Not at all. People are allowed to grow, evolve, etc. That's a given, but not the point being argued by others in this thread.

Cats are saying that we don't acknowledge how detrimental songs like Trap ****** really are, and there is absolutely some truth to that because not all those who listen to it have the same wherewithal to discern the intent from the lyrics.

But these same guys who are piling on folks who are making a claim for Future have other rappers who made their claim to fame and fortune glorifying the drug culture as well. So it's hypocritical of them to disavow new acts when the predecessors lived the same lives.

The goal post got shifted because dudes tried making correlation of the new era of rappers influencing kids to try the new wave of drugs (molly, percs, xanz, lean, etc). But in reality, that same thing can be said of the previous generation wherein those acts promoted both drug dealing and drug use.

Well said

Yeah I think there's a big difference in Ghost saying he chopped the O/ sprinkling snow inside his optimal and seeing these new cats with two styrofoam cups every time you see them.

I saw mixtape cover with Morgan Freeman on it called Lean On Me

Never, never have I had a problem with levying critcism. I too am at a stage (have always been) where I can separate being a fan from the music....and recognize the effects.

What I won't do is buy into small, close minded simple narratives about things that have passed me. I'll levy the critcism, recongnize the appeal, see if I enjoy it or not...and move from there.

You know why these "generation" things always pop up? Because dudes like MySonne, you and magic....LOVE to pretend like **** was peaches and cream back in the day....to hold up some type of moral superiority to those that came after them. MySonne over there talking about how the OGs pulled up in Minks and taught him and his generation all the right things etc etc. Maybe for him....but ****** was **** up back then too.....let's not pretend.

Dipset is one of my favorite groups ever....but I recognized them and now....that they said or contributed in some problematic ways. I still enjoy the music. I won't paint them with a broad brush as being wholly destructive....and use them as an indictment on their generation. Because I know there was more to that.

I take it for what it is man.

/rant
laugh.gif
How many times do I have to say I recognize the destructive tones from yesterday's music? I've said it three times now.

Who's pretending like **** was peaches and cream? If everytime I have some criticism for 21 Savage...does that mean I have to also include criticism about DMX in order for me to remain partial and come across as non-bias? 

When the **** did I say that 90s/2000s rappers were all about spreading love and positivity? And in turn...when did I claim that today's current is wholly destructive? The ****** who be claiming people be making "broad generalizations" are guilty of doing the same thing.

There's a seperate part to this discussion I've touched on before...that alot of these ****** ya'll are talking about are OLDER than I am. To me...I find it incredible that alot of dudes don't find the slightest bit of problem with ****** that are 34 and up, selling you some these themes and ideologies to a target consumer base that is half their age. But that's a completely seperate topic.

Original point still stands. The idea that It's hypocritical to criticize a rapper today...if my MUCH YOUNGER SELF didn't do it years ago...is completely asinine to me. The majority of my "old vs new" debates are rooted in these new ****** being ******* GARBAGE as it pertains to the craft itself. Content and it's effects on society....is a completely separate argument.

And how the hell was Magic's point false or hypocritical? If ya'll can name somebody popular that was rapping about doing hard drugs then you can say he's wrong. 

Isn't it common sense to look at a timeline of particular themes in rap....notice a developing trend about the use of opiates...and make a keen observation that something is GETTING WORSE? 

If ya'll think that XXX ***** is bad...it's about to get a whole lot worse. Wait til it becomes the norm for the image of a "street cat" to be one who wears chokers and fanny packs.

Last edited:
this is very relevant in this discussion also

A lot of todays street music lacks any truth to it. it's take Molly, Sell Dope, Watch me **** your ***** A..... there's no counter, there's no reasoning, there's no downfall. Future/Kodak/Gates are examples of guys who try to balance but i would say a majority of street rap music projects don't give you a full spectrum or a in depth look into that lifestyle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom