***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

Its like they read the lyrics without listening to the song
mean.gif
...Where I Came From is another Future song that has some serious depth but you have to understand the perspective. 

Future has songs that go beyond surface level, i agree

but the song in question states things such as "Praying five times a day to catch a plug" "Wake up in the morning grab your strap *****" the majority of that song isn't exactly the most positive thing when your talking to a kid.

****** trapped in that lifestyle don't need blessings of Dope & they traphouse doing numbers as forms of positively

But there are those who do need the blessings from above so that they can climb out of their current predicaments. Not every street cat out there wants to die in the hood. Some of them aspire for more and succumb to the misguided idea that making money the fast way is the only way to come up. Not all of the good ****** are Buns. You have some Sinceres in there as well.

Last edited:
Future has songs that go beyond surface level, i agree

but the song in question states things such as "Praying five times a day to catch a plug" "Wake up in the morning grab your strap *****" the majority of that song isn't exactly the most positive thing when your talking to a kid.

****** trapped in that lifestyle don't need blessings of Dope & they traphouse doing numbers as forms of positively

Put those lyrics in Context though. And from the perspective of someone that's trying to see their way out of that trap. From Future's own mouth:

"I feel like we use trapped as in trapped in a position where you can’t get out, so I’m adding more life to the word, making it uplifting…so even if you trapped, your gonna be blessed to get out that situation"

That's him describing the background and central theme of the song. "Blessings", are relative. To your situation, environment, place in life, etc. You in the trap and a shot missed you? You blessed......You really need to catch a plug to pay for whatever? You blessed.

"You move your mama to a crib from the Jects".....you blessed.

Of course....the ultimate goal is to stop trapping and being trapped. But a song that resonates with ***** from the trenches about still being blessed regardless of their circumstances, is immediate....and should be looked at more critically.

But there are those who do need the blessings from above so that they can climb out of their current predicaments. Not every street cat out there wants to die in the hood. Some of them aspire for more and succumb to the misguided idea that making money the fast way is the only way to come up. Not all of the good ****** are Buns. You have some Sinceres in there as well.

Trust me i know that, but this song in particular is basically doubling down on living that same lifestyle to secure more bread. It's not providing other options too. the blessings he is asking for are still negative at the end of the day and will bring that energy with it.

its cool but idk if i care enough about rap to sit through a 30 minute show of joe yelling over akademiks

i feel like it would work better in <5 minute segments on my timeline every now and then moreso than a half hour show i have to sit down and watch

definitely see that joe is the stephen a of that show

lowkey they need to add a lord jamar type old head to make things more interesting

someone who has that old head "back in my day" perspective but isnt necessarily tooooo dusty to where theyre out of touch
I didn't know the show was monday through friday.

Don't know where they're going to get enough content from culture to be that prolific, but none of the less i'm intrigued and the first 3 episodes were cool to me.

The idea is dope. Dope concept. I wanna see where it goes.

Mysonne dropped some jewels at the breakfast club....but he really annoyed me with his surface level criticism of "Trap *****" by Future in the Vlad interview.

"Fkc what you heard, God blessing all the trap *****"

Idk how you miss the message in that song....and only see it as "glorifying only drug dealers." Because it's coming from Future.....a message about God blessing someone on the dredges of society that's looked down upon is lost because of production and image. Let a "conscious" rapper make a song with a similar message that's much more direct with a jazzy beat.......PRAISE

Surface level commentary in hip hop by supposed lyricist has to be one of my biggest pet peeeves. They get it so wrong :lol:

they dont understand the lingo and they think future just out here saying anything

big words really impress grown *** men lol

Put those lyrics in Context though. And from the perspective of someone that's trying to see their way out of that trap. From Future's own mouth:

"I feel like we use trapped as in trapped in a position where you can’t get out, so I’m adding more life to the word, making it uplifting…so even if you trapped, your gonna be blessed to get out that situation"

That's him describing the background and central theme of the song. "Blessings", are relative. To your situation, environment, place in life, etc. You in the trap and a shot missed you? You blessed......You really need to catch a plug to pay for whatever? You blessed.

"You move your mama to a crib from the Jects".....you blessed.

Of course....the ultimate goal is to stop trapping and being trapped. But a song that resonates with ***** from the trenches about still being blessed regardless of their circumstances, is immediate....and should be looked at more critically.

I could **** with that, my only objection to that would be how many kids in the hoods are really bumping this track and taking in the overall message he intended vs what is actually said. Anytime i've seen a young ***** quoting trap ****** it's usually them promoting the negatives. I hate that rappers have so much influence but they do, so a kid 13 hears wake up in the morning grab your strap, they start thinking that imagery is cool. And this isn't specific to Future, or even trap rap. Any artist who does street related music has some real damaging **** in there to the youth, especially if your mind ain't use to nothing but a hood perspective. So you take a kid who grew up in an environment where trapping is normal, that kid is probably gonna look at trap ****** more as a justification of doing illegal ****.

I could **** with that, my only objection to that would be how many kids in the hoods are really bumping this track and taking in the overall message he intended vs what is actually said. Anytime i've seen a young ***** quoting trap ****** it's usually them promoting the negatives. I hate that rappers have so much influence but they do, so a kid 13 hears wake up in the morning grab your strap, they start thinking that imagery is cool. And this isn't specific to Future, or even trap rap. Any artist who does street related music has some real damaging **** in there to the youth, especially if your mind ain't use to nothing but a hood perspective. So you take a kid who grew up in an environment where trapping is normal, that kid is probably gonna look at trap ****** more as a justification of doing illegal ****.
Most ****** aren't going to fully accept some of the blunt realities about our music and how it influences culture positively and negatively until they get older. Trying to explain simple concepts to ****** who are still within the optimal target audience is going to fall on deaf ears.

I wasn't trying to hear this **** when I was 21 either.  Unfortunately, the ****** that don't get it are the ones you see pushing 40 with their mind stuck in their 20s. They're everywhere. Because the culture is all about trying to remain as "youthful" as possible...and alot of ****** just never grow up. That's why you got ****** on Instagram 38 years old posting pictures of lean bottles and cashrolls. 

Last edited:
Imo. That's an overly simplified way of looking at it. At any level, there are some within the culture who are speaking from their experience. The same way you draw the correlation of the music having a positive and negative impact on the culture is the same way the inverse of that correlation can be drawn as well. The culture effects some artists positively and others negatively. What we have is a vicious cycle and it's becoming more and more difficult to discern which is the true causal factor as time continues.

Future himself would read Wavys discription and think damn I didn't know my song was about all that.

**** was glorifying trapping, I love the song but it is what it is
Somebody PLEASE find that DS2 segment that Hot97 ran w/ Ebro.

That **** was the most cringeworthy, yet hilarious **** I've seen in a while.

Son was sitting there asking **** like "So break down the song Freak ***. What was the process behind that" 
laugh.gif

Future sitting there giving the most basic answers...because THERE IS NOTHING TO DECODE. 

**** remind me of when outlets like Pitchfork give these in-depth breakdowns of ****** like Gudda Gudda. 

"Gudda gives a surreal depiction of the trials and tribulations that narcotics dealers face when they default on their advances and owe monetary funds to their supplier"

I feel you on that. And I can't say how somebody would internalize and understand those lyrics and the intended meaning or device.

But when I hear,

When you wake up before you brush your teeth
You grab your strap, *****
Only time you get down on your knees
You grab shooting craps *****"

I think that's more of a relating, preaching to the choir type of thing....rather than...."go out and do that".

But you raise a good point. I just think it's wild short sighted for somebody like Mysonne to not even attempt to dissect it.

That **** irks me.

Future himself would read Wavys discription and think damn I didn't know my song was about all that.

**** was glorifying trapping, I love the song but it is what it is

:rofl:

But I think Future clearly knew and understood the intended meaning....and it was much more than glorifying trap.

I mean....the Baby Boy prayer proceeds the song:

"Dear God,
This is a bad time, show us the way.
And if you can't show us the way.....forgive us for being lost"

I'm gonna assume Mysonne ain't sitting thru full Future projects :lol:. Oddly enough A lot of rappers people would consider "lyricist" **** with future heavy because there's actual content there. I think it's just a matter of guys with Mys mindset hearing the singles/most popular songs & unfortunately a lot of those songs really are predicated on beat & melody rather than subject matter

Imo. That's an overly simplified way of looking at it. At any level, there are some within the culture who are speaking from their experience. The same way you draw the correlation of the music having a positive and negative impact on the culture is the same way the inverse of that correlation can be drawn as well. The culture effects some artists positively and others negatively. What we have is a vicious cycle and it's becoming more and more difficult to discern which is the true causal factor as time continues.

Yup.

I'm gonna assume Mysonne ain't sitting thru full Future projects :lol:. Oddly enough A lot of rappers people would consider "lyricist" **** with future heavy because there's actual content there. I think it's just a matter of guys with Mys mindset hearing the singles/most popular songs & unfortunately a lot of those songs really are predicated on beat & melody rather than subject matter

:lol:. Real talk though.

That's all it comes down to.

If there was a rapper advocating and promoting being a crackhead or using heroin would you dudes feel he same way?

a better question is why is Future the poster child for this discussion and not the Dipset, BIG, DMX or Hov records Mysonne and people in Mysonne's age range are gonna be spilling Henny to this weekend

Last edited:
ODB
DMX
Wu Tang
Bun & Pimp C
Eminem
Ja Rule
Etc

List goes on man.

Funny enough....I'm listening to CREAM as we speak :lol:.

On a semi related note.....this is one of my favorite songs about hard drugs:

Cookout season is upon us :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom