***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

Jay z can't even recreate reasonable doubt now if he wanted to. But all we need is a the internet and a dictionary

Baffling

He absolutely could he chooses not to

"if i rhymed like common sense..." and blah blah blah

it's harder to do what he's done instead, which is make lyrically good stuff but still reach a mass audience

Conway is not a representation of what 90's Hip Hop was. :lol:

Flesh clearly don't know what the **** he talkin bout.

Last edited:
Talent aside, the actual issue is our insistence to categorize these young artists' as rappers.

Just cause they look the part and use elements of rap as one of their mediums to communicate through music does not mean they are rappers.

The colored dread committee do not have the same intent when they enter a booth as J Cole, Kendrick, whichever other rapper is used as a traditional lyrical standard.

Someone like Flocka (who was trash at traditional rap) excelled at evoking a certain emotion through his music. That was his goal the moment he stepped into the booth and he succeeded at it. 

What Pusha said about Rae Sremmurd applies here . . . what they do with melodies can never be replicated by Pusha, just as what he does with wordplay can never be fathomed by Swae & Slim 

Seems like this convo comes up every month and the same things are argued over and over. Rap is certainly old enough now to be departmentalized into sub genres. 

When people start calling Yachty a good rapper and Post Malone innovative and Black Beatles is harder to make than Reasonable Doubt we got a problem.

There is a difference between making party/club/hype music and somebody making lyical **** with wordplay and substance.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to hear Future/Thug, sometimes I wanna hear Nas/Jay. The 2 styles are totally different and it's no question which style is easier to make.

Talent aside, the actual issue is our insistence to categorize these young artists' as rappers.

Just cause they look the part and use elements of rap as one of their mediums to communicate through music does not mean they are rappers.

The colored dread committee do not have the same intent when they enter a booth as J Cole, Kendrick, whichever other rapper is used as a traditional lyrical standard.

Someone like Flocka (who was trash at traditional rap) excelled at evoking a certain emotion through his music. That was his goal the moment he stepped into the booth and he succeeded at it. 

What Pusha said about Rae Sremmurd applies here . . . what they do with melodies can never be replicated by Pusha, just as what he does with wordplay can never be fathomed by Swae & Slim 

Seems like this convo comes up every month and the same things are argued over and over. Rap is certainly old enough now to be departmentalized into sub genres. 
This. Although Flesh is bugging about the ease of creating something like Reasonable Doubt, I think what he was trying to say is that these artists are creating things in a different lane that can't compare to that style of the past. This is a bit like how traditional reggae has split into dancehall, and other variations. Just because it doesn't necessarily sound like 90s rap, doesn't mean it isn't good music. Rae Sremmurd is making great pop songs with rap elements to it, and it takes real talent to create their music the same way it took talent to create hip hop albums in the past. 

Some artists are actually trash IMO, like 21 savage, Logic, etc. They aren't bringing anything new to the table, but luckily we don't have to listen to artists we don't like.

I was actually talking to one of my female homies about this other day, she used to work in marketing, now PR. She was saying people nowadays are more likely to FB status or rant at the top of their lungs about some **** they hate, don't like, think is wack, etc than they are to put the same energy into singing the praises of somebody they do  like. So in a way they end up giving this thing they hate the attention they wish it didn't have.

Kinda like Thug with the gay ****. _'s who hate him ended up giving him way more attention than he ever would've gotten that early in his career 
laugh.gif

It's so easy to get the masses to market hate. It's especially effective on Twitter, hence why our President-Elect was so active on it during his campaign.

It's especially apparent on this forum, as people spend more time in threads of artists they hate then supporting the artists they supposedly like. 

In real life, the same people bashing Thug are playing/enjoying his music. I've seen it time and time again.

Rae Sremmurd is making great pop songs with rap elements to it, and it takes real talent to create their music the same way it took talent to create hip hop albums in the past. 

[emoji]128070[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128070[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128070[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128070[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji] dat way

The thing is that Sub Genre's aren't being created and due to that it's turning Hip Hop into a watered down easily duplicated genre, and that hurts everyone in the long run. we are at a point where fans will agree that an artist doesn't have much talent at all (Even in the field of melody) and yet it's still supported because of the spectacle of it. When Freakin hamburger helper releases a mixtape and it's on par with what's going on in certain pockets of rap, things should get worrisome.

The thing is that Sub Genre's aren't being created and due to that it's turning Hip Hop into a watered down easily duplicated genre, and that hurts everyone in the long run. we are at a point where fans will agree that an artist doesn't have much talent at all (Even in the field of melody) and yet it's still supported because of the spectacle of it. When Freakin hamburger helper releases a mixtape and it's on par with what's going on in certain pockets of rap, things should get worrisome.

Why don't you wanna let Post and Yachty be considered something other than rappers?

Is it because they're using rap media outlets to flourish?

Not necessarily a response to this post but a general question.

Last edited:
"Idgaf about rap I'm getting money" is the new "rap is my passion I'm a student of the game"

The thing is even with that mentality you can still have PRIDE in your work. Vince Staples was saying stuff like that in his raps when he first started but he aint sound nothing like these bums. These new guys just aint about nothing & most of their fanbase aint either

I would LOVE for them to be considered something else, the fact remains however that as of now and probably forever they will be viewed as hiphop acts. They use hiphop outlets, they rely heavily off the hiphop crowd, they rely heavily off hip hop sounds & slang.

On top of that all most other Genre's try to preserve some kind of order an aren't gonna flock to some dudes who just pop up and decide to call themselves a country singer, or a blues artist etc etc because they haven't done the groundwork or know the history thourougly enough.

I would Love if they were considered a completely different Genre but as of now they are not, and because of that they will continue to be critiqued on hiphop rules.

Wayne's been saying he's a rockstar for the past 10 years, Rock is like "Keep that **** over there". If i'm looking for new hiphop i personally don't think artist who put no effort into even trying to formulate a lyric should be categorized under such, however i live in reality and reality says right now has people telling me that somehow Kendrick & Young Thug are making music that can be compared.

The thing is even with that mentality you can still have PRIDE in your work. Vince Staples was saying stuff like that in his raps when he first started but he aint sound nothing like these bums. These new guys just aint about nothing & most of their fanbase aint either

Jay, Cam, Jeezy etc etc dozens upon dozens have made it clear that money was a big motivation, but they still worked on the craft and added heavily to hip hop

Technically hamburger helper went and got dudes who have been rapping for years to make a moxtape. Not like they took James from marketing and Robert from accounting and threw them in the booth. Nabisco can go grab 2 local artist from Wisconsin and put out a tape

Let's just stop boxing all these dudes together. There's sub genres of hip hop and we all know it. There's a good and bad way to make all types of music. There's bad "bars" and there's bad trap etc. We not doing anybody any favors holding all these dudes to the same standard. We don't listen to future for the same reason we to hov.

"Idgaf about rap I'm getting money" is the new "rap is my passion I'm a student of the game"

And there it is. They don't give a **** about Hip Hop culture. They're in it and listen to it cuz it's trendy to them.

Jay, Cam, Jeezy etc etc dozens upon dozens have made it clear that money was a big motivation, but they still worked on the craft and added heavily to hip hop

This too.

These guys were serious about their craft because their parents and their elders influenced their musical tastes, and the majority of it wasn't hip-hop, because hip-hop had yet to exist. The financial motive simply came out of the necessity to survive and make better lives for themselves during and after the spread of the crack epidemic.

Last edited:

And there it is. They don't give a **** about Hip Hop culture. They're in it and listen to it cuz it's trendy to them.

That times 100 :lol:

Back
Top Bottom