***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

Also just took a peek at MTV's list Kenderick Lamar is listed at #9 the whole list hasn't been dropped yet, but they already put YG ahead of him :lol: .... so when we are saying who's hot now does the criteria mean how much **** you do that has nothing to do with rapping & actual tangible things? do you need 1000 antics and be the topic of a twitter convo to be hot?

Because in the Past year alone Kenderick

- Dropped a 7 song EP that went platinum
- has been on a world tour & been headlining festivals left & right
- Has a full ad campaign and shoes with Reebok
- Was featured on Beyonce, Frank Ocean, Kanye West, The Weeknd, Schoolboy Q & Travis Scott (4 maybe five of these albums are up for a grammy btw)

somehow YG is hotter? i'm sure Uzi is gonna be on the list... he's hotter?

Also just took a peek at MTV's list Kenderick Lamar is listed at #9 the whole list hasn't been dropped yet, but they already put YG ahead of him
laugh.gif
.... so when we are saying who's hot now does the criteria mean how much **** you do that has nothing to do with rapping & actual tangible things? do you need 1000 antics and be the topic of a twitter convo to be hot?

- Was featured on Beyonce, Frank Ocean, Kanye West, The Weeknd, Schoolboy Q & Travis Scott (4 maybe five of these albums are up for a grammy btw)

reebok deal did him in...lol

but real talk...it makes no sense to be that low

DJ's aren't that important anymore. Flex's rants get people listening to his show. That's why he continues to do it.

How many have broken out in the past ten years?

It's because former artist, producers, instagram chicks and celebs are taking a big chunk of that lane.

Flex is doing it for a reason. That's why he keeps creating beefs and relevancy. When you stop talking about him is when he won't be relevant anymore.

That getting along is for the birds. Especially since Flex isn't an artist or exec. You don't like Flex you go see Ebro or Nessa.

We're in a Kardashian era.

yeah i can't co-sign just dissing people for attention because the art of actually DJ-ing is dying

without the antics flex would be more than straight in his legacy and relevance between what he's done for NY rap, the IFWT website, and the hot 97 show

what is he losing by just staying in his lane and not beefing with ***** for attention

flex should have fell back a long time ago and been grooming that next one

dude is 60 talking about he "runs the streets" ***** go clean your dentures

Also just took a peek at MTV's list Kenderick Lamar is listed at #9 the whole list hasn't been dropped yet, but they already put YG ahead of him :lol: .... so when we are saying who's hot now does the criteria mean how much **** you do that has nothing to do with rapping & actual tangible things? do you need 1000 antics and be the topic of a twitter convo to be hot?

Hotter means how many times a day does this artist come across your timeline, how frequently does he release music, who's buzz is currently higher

YG is CURRENTLY hotter than Kendrick with two projects this year, the FDT buzz and him stepping up his lyricism

Kendrick had a good year but outside of that one project 8-9 months ago, he didn't really do much to grab the general consumers attention

FDT is more relevant than anything Kendrick put out in 2016...

I can already tell people are about to let a top 10 HOTTEST list turn into "This person isn't a better rapper or bigger artist than this person"

which is what i've been saying all year...yachty could be working at popeyes in March but right now he currently is a hotter artist who's gonna be talked about more on a daily basis on social media than Kendrick because kendrick is chilling right now

Uzi, 21, YG, Yachty are all currently hotter than kendrick in 2016

Last edited:
YG honestly not that hot to me tho, album came, flopped and went

He def not hotter than 21 in 2016 either

I'm convinced that list is made to be judged with scrutiny to get ppl talking and interested, they'll **** around and have Kendrick in the top 5 by friday

Last edited:
How do you measure "hotness" between artists with drastically different target audiences?

Social Media buzz and tabloids are factor but not the sole factor.

It has to say something that people like Cole and Kendrick can stay out the public eye for a considerable portion of the year and still sell more records than 90% of that list can combined.

There has to be a balance identified in all of the metrics used to judge popularity. Leaning on just one isn't accurate

Last edited:
How do you measure "hotness" between artists with drastically different target audiences?

Social Media buzz and tabloids are factor but not the sole factor.

It has to say something that people like Cole and Kendrick can stay out the public eye for a considerable portion of the year and still sell more records than 90% of that list can combined.

There has to be a balance identified in all of the metrics used to judge popularity. Leaning on just one isn't accurate

that's another thing too

it goes back to the argument of what audience matters more in rap

If we talking about "hotter". That means sales, popularity and buzz. 21 and Uzi do not sale more, are more popular, create more buzz than Kendrick.

Now if you change the question and ask "who does high school students listen to more" then yeah Uzi, 21 and Yachty might win that.

I think it's time to stop putting these ****** under the same umbrella. There's too many sub genres with massive followings. A lil uzi and a J Cole should never be on the same "top anything" list.

Last edited:
Hotter means how many times a day does this artist come across your timeline, how frequently does he release music, who's buzz is currently higher

YG is CURRENTLY hotter than Kendrick with two projects this year, the FDT buzz and him stepping up his lyricism

Kendrick had a good year but outside of that one project 8-9 months ago, he didn't really do much to grab the general consumers attention

FDT is more relevant than anything Kendrick put out in 2016...

I can already tell people are about to let a top 10 HOTTEST list turn into "This person isn't a better rapper or bigger artist than this person"

which is what i've been saying all year...yachty could be working at popeyes in March but right now he currently is a hotter artist who's gonna be talked about more on a daily basis on social media than Kendrick because kendrick is chilling right now

Uzi, 21, YG, Yachty are all currently hotter than kendrick in 2016

Being hot means people are interested in you correct?? your first statement in gauging how much interest a musical act is getting was about how many times he comes across YOUR timeline. :smh:

1)do you know how many streams it takes to certify an album Platinum?? to put this in perspective Uzi would have to drop about 10 projects to garner that many listens and spins... you don't think people listening to your rap music should be an indicator of being the hottest rapper?

2) YG dropped a single with Drake and i heard that **** a maximum of two times, he JUST dropped a surprise EP and the **** wasn't remembered through the weekend, & his album din't receive near the praise his last album did. Hell i wouldn't be surprised if Alright a song which dropped in 15 got more spins this year then FDT.

3) Uzi, 21, YG, Yachty clearly haven't touched the amount of Award stages, late night TV performances, headlined tours and festivals like Kenderick. He has a feature on EVERY majorly hyped release of the year, albums which touch millions upon millions of people and have been grammy nominated.

So your telling me YG, Uzi, etc etc have been "Hotter" but giving me nothing to show this outside of my TL "AKA" look at these ****** on Social media making a fool out of themselves so people discuss them.

Sales - Kendrick
Size of tours - Kendrick
TV appearances - Kendrick
Magazines - Kendrick
Marketing campaigns/ endorsements - Kendrick
Award show appearances - Kendrick
Guest appearances - Kendrick

there's literally not one single category you could think of where the average person was exposed to one of these ****** over Kendrick Lamar this year. Hot means people are checking for you? people are interested in your product... If I sell 10 times the amount of records someone sales, i HEADLINE a world tour, HEADLINE festivals all over the world, Have a full ou Reebok marketing campaign with sneakers in stores, be called to do features on the biggest releases of the year......... how then are you gonna tell me that a rapper is hotter than me because more people spoke about his foolishness on social media?

that's another thing too

it goes back to the argument of what audience matters more in rap

To artist & Execs alike the audience that matters most is the larger ones who spend money. the average Hiphop listener was exposed to Kendrick at a much higher rate than all of those ******. If Those guys were hotter Beyonce, Kanye & Frank would be running to them for features, they would headline festivals instead of 15 minute sets at 1PM etc etc

as iv'e been saying for months now these guys are hot in a niche, Kendrick is a Superstar who is still active and draws year round interest despite dropping one singular project all year.

If Kendrick had the year any of those ****** had we would be calling him washed up.

I think it's time to stop putting these ****** under the same umbrella. There's too many sub genres with massive followings. A lil uzi and a J Cole should never be on the same "top anything" list.

I agree with that as far as rating music, but hottest in rap means who draws the most attention from people, who holds the peoples interest..... None of those guys followings hold a candle to Kendricks and it shows in EVERY category. they cannot and have not touched a quarter of the people kendrick has touched this year.

trynafeelmink trynafeelmink

Rocky got more sales, bigger tours, TV appearances, etc than Young MA, A Boogie and Dave East combined....would you say he hotter than any of them in NYC right now? :nerd:

Last edited:
trynafeelmink trynafeelmink

Rocky got more sales, bigger tours, TV appearances, etc than Young MA, A Boogie and Dave East combined....would you say he hotter than any of them in NYC right now? :nerd:

None of those three are people i would consider the in hottest artist of the year category (East & M.A are gonne EAT 2017 tho). So Yes Rocky would be, under the criteria of whats considered Hot.... Hell **** Rocky, Ferg has had a bigger year than those three (better quality wise **** no, but for some reason quality of music is the least discussed thing in the hottest MC list these days :smh: )

Btw the Disparity between Kendrick and those lil ****** is WAY wider than the disparity between Rocky and those three.

if you wanna keep it a buck there's another guy from NYC who deserves the nof over Yachty & 21....... but i digress :lol:

Last edited:
i think because you can't quantify people's interest unless they spend money, youre using mainstream looks and sales to quantify what's hot when those outlets have always traditionally been late to what's "hot" in rap and has never mattered less than now

Young ma is on fire right now off 1 song. Shorty song is on everyone's radio station 4x a hour, being talked about of those gossip blogs every week, even seen a wcw/mcm post about her. My granny shared the meme of her facial hair up close a few mths ago no ******** :lol:

Young ma is on fire right now off 1 song. Shorty song is on everyone's radio station 4x a hour, being talked about of those gossip blogs every week, even seen a wcw/mcm post about her. My granny shared the meme of her facial hair up close a few mths ago no ******** :lol:

none of that matters because Rocky went Gold and has been on MTV :lol:

i think because you can't quantify people's interest unless they spend money, youre using mainstream looks and sales to quantify what's hot when those outlets have always traditionally been late to what's "hot" in rap and has never mattered less than now

Chance has been all over my ****** TV screen this year, he reached those outlets because they knew his fanbase was big enough to garner that attention. Point blank if your really garnering attention like that mainstream media will come to you.

Im using things that are tangible and i could see, I don't follow Chance music whatsoever, nobody in my circle rocks with him heavy like that, when people say he's one of the hottest of the year i can't argue because even w/o searching for him Chance was put in front of me CONSTANTLY.

The counter to not using sales, shows, media attention and other taangible things is barbershop talk... "So & So is hotter than him because i see his meme more", there's literally nothing that YG has done that has garnered more attention this year.

Last edited:

She has 1 fire song that is burning up parties, the streets, and rap blogs,with that said there's an entire demographic who don't know Who the **** she is. she's still growing her star.

Rocky has still been on several album releases this year, dropped a group tape, promoting his fashion Brand, and is also touring the country.... All of these things are happening because he garners more attention than young M.A.

This is a down year for rocky and he's still able to remain in the pubic eye and generate more interest in him & his brand then most rappers.

I can't let a ***** sit here and tell me that record sales & TV appearances aren't a good measuring stick but his counter is how much said rapper crossed his timeline.

Last edited:
This doesn't really have anything do with the "hottest" debate but notice when these dudes "trend" on social media it usually has NOTHING to do with music. It's usually because they were riding nuts to *** on dirtbikes, engaged in an instagram war with soulja boy, arrested, etc.

As opposed to someone like Cole/Kendrick, sitting the whole year out and can instantly "trend" off of verses.

I think there's just a huge gap in how specific audiences view all of this stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom