***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

Ludacris/Tyrese jokes were 
laugh.gif

Agree on both parts, but this isn't 1997 or 2002, where you can have one hit and literally never be heard from again. The massive increase in social media usage has given guys people may consider subpar or outright garbage lifelines, extending their careers far past their expiration date. Soulja Boy and YouTube started that in 2005, then exploded in 2009 with the rise of twitter all the way up til what you see today. People may not like it, but some of the artists you [we] detest very well may still be here come 2020 :lol:
Out of all the music I've listened to, there's seriously only 3 people u can listen to over crappy/mediocre beats --- Common, Nas, and Payroll.

Here's where the timeless part comes in:

The majority of mainstream pop/rap being made today has a shelf life. You won't be going to the Migos YRN 30th anniversary live concert like our parents can still go see Frankie Beverly and Maze every year at the essence music festival. 40 years from Nicki Minaj or Miley Cyrus won't be performing for the pope like Aretha Franklin. The music is not timeless. Which means it will die the older it gets. chances are when we all get old, drake crooning about strippers and futures 4 minute lean jingles won't really resonate with us the way it does now.

If you're an 80s baby like myself, you see how much the artists we grew up on are now scrambling to figure out how to still monetize their celebrity and a lot of them are trying to do it in other industries.

Cam'ron can only eat off that dip set legacy until these year 2000 kids start asking "what's a dip set?".

So while the Internet gave artists the power to connect directly with the people and manage their own brands to an extent....how long is it really going to live in the long run?

Here's where the timeless part comes in:

The majority of mainstream pop/rap being made today has a shelf life. You won't be going to the Migos YRN 30th anniversary live concert like our parents can still go see Frankie Beverly and Maze every year at the essence music festival. 40 years from Nicki Minaj or Miley Cyrus won't be performing for the pope like Aretha Franklin. The music is not timeless. Which means it will die the older it gets. chances are when we all get old, drake crooning about strippers and futures 4 minute lean jingles won't really resonate with us the way it does now.

If you're an 80s baby like myself, you see how much the artists we grew up on are now scrambling to figure out how to still monetize their celebrity and a lot of them are trying to do it in other industries.

Cam'ron can only eat off that dip set legacy until these year 2000 kids start asking "what's a dip set?".

So while the Internet gave artists the power to connect directly with the people and manage their own brands to an extent....how long is it really going to live in the long run?

While I agree that the majority of mainstream music isn't timeless these days, and pop music overall has dropped in quality considerably b/c of the influx of edm/techno music...timeless music is relevant first to the generation that enjoyed it the most, and secondly the generations after. Very few artist can make timeless music.

Would you have considered "Back that AXX Up" timeless in 99"? I doubt it. But it is. People who were born in 99 still turn up to that song in 2015. I say let the music grown and mature and then wait and see.

While I agree that the majority of mainstream music isn't timeless these days, and pop music overall has dropped in quality considerably b/c of the influx of edm/techno music...timeless music is relevant first to the generation that enjoyed it the most, and secondly the generations after. Very few artist can make timeless music.

Would you have considered "Back that AXX Up" timeless in 99"? I doubt it. But it is. People who were born in 99 still turn up to that song in 2015. I say let the music grown and mature and then wait and see.

of course back dat *** up is still going to hit. Depending on how you perceive time....it's really not that old of a song.

I was speaking in majorities. Using one of the biggest rap songs of all time doesn't really speak to that.

I'm saying ON average. MOST of the music today is trapped in the collective consciousness of today's youth. It won't resonate with us at all at a certain point. Or one would hope not.

If you were to look at time by decades...you'll notice there is a steadily decline of what would be considered timeless music.

Wayne from Squad up to the Drought 3 was the best Wayne. That's roughly 02-07.

He was AMAZING at rapping then. Wayne had a legit argument for best rapper alive after Carter 1 - Carter 2. I don't recognize the guy from Carter 3 to today. The fall off was something real to the true fans, while the new fans ate those corny cringeworthy raps up :lol: :smh:

Wayne was one of my favorite artists.
Have no idea what he's doing now

of course back dat *** up is still going to hit. Depending on how you perceive time....it's really not that old of a song.

I was speaking in majorities. Using one of the biggest rap songs of all time doesn't really speak to that.

I'm saying ON average. MOST of the music today is trapped in the collective consciousness of today's youth. It won't resonate with us at all at a certain point. Or one would hope not.

If you were to look at time by decades...you'll notice there is a steadily decline of what would be considered timeless music.

Most def :lol: Agreed on the points in the previous post as well. Definitely won't hear Migos and other artists like that 30 years from now, but their careers (and other artists like them) have a will be able to be sustained much longer than before due to all the social media usage today. I mentioned before in different threads that social media can make people appear much hotter than they really are (a Lil' Durk video having almost 20 million views, but his album flopping on the charts), and also making people who may seem out the loop, not even having real singles, yet making big waves (J.Cole and ASAP Rocky). A lot of these weaker artists today should be thankful they're in the era they're in now, or they'd be where J-Kwon is.

I definitely agree with that. Especially the way this culture treats social media followers and perception like real currency. Dudes got 10 million followers but only 10 thousand of them felt compelled to actually purchase your art.

Wait a min yall not gonna discuss Hood Hop and not Tipsy.

J-kwon might be in contention for Top 20 (2 hit wonders of all time)

Wish hood hop released in this era. We would have a freestyle from all our favorite artist to that masterpiece.

Wait a min yall not gonna discuss Hood Hop and not Tipsy.

J-kwon might be in contention for Top 20 (2 hit wonders of all time)

Couldn't stand Tipsy but Hood Hop was :smokin damn shame it was J-Kwon on it instead of anyone else at the time. :lol: in 2004 that could've been Kiss, Banks, Young Gunz, Joe Budden, Slim Thug, anybody

Last edited:
Seeing all the J-Kwon mentions in the preview for this thread had me thinking there was a J-Kwon interview. Needless to say, I am disappointed.:smh:

Last edited:
Puffy just debo'd the credit. He wasn't actually conducting the beat makers and engineers like Kanye or Dre.

I doubt puffy even knows how to use pro tools

Exactly.

Even when I think of the Hitmen, a few names hit me before I get to Puff.

D-Dot+Amen-Ra
Steebie
6 July

etc.

Back
Top Bottom