Votes: 238 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
This only happened because other non-retro stuff wasn’t selling well. They leaned too much into sales of retro product in general and are now paying the piper.

Wish the AJ 1 wasn’t a casualty of this though. Would much rather have fewer but better cw releases of the model.

Agree.

Stock prices down too. Curious what the plan will be to recover and which models will be impacted.

They haven’t innovated in a way that has consumer appeal so retro sales have hidden a lot of their vulnerabilities. React fell flat, Hyperadapt never evolved and failed, and even the stuff they’ve shown off tech wise in the last year is far from hitting the market. Their move to zero push failed and stuff like that space hippie line was never followed up on at all. Scorpion was a dud last year. Air Max dn not moving this year.

Probably the only hits they’ve had in the past 5-6 years have been the air max 270 for casual wear and alphafly with runners. Hell, even from a clothing standpoint it’s been a decade since the tech fleece and nothing has caught on since.

Whether JB over produced 1s and killed the model or not, I can still enjoy wearing the ones I have just as much.

In a way it’s kind of nice.

Now the real 1 lovers will show themselves.

…ride or die.

Honestly they should just end the Air Jordan 1 OG High and only release 85s going forward with better cws. If you think about it, 85s are an improved model over the AJ 1 OG High and they already sell two mid-high variants in general releases that are cheaper and less OG with the AJ1 Mids and CMFTs.

The Air Jordan 1 OG High is now just another poor man’s 85s and it’s shockingly only $20 cheaper at full MSRP than 85s so not even much of a cost savings for such an inferior product. Honestly, the AJ 1 OG High has become irrelevant with the 85 model and you know all of us on here won’t think twice about re-purchasing AJ 1 cws we own in the AJ 1 OG High in 85 form-specifically, Chis/Breds/Royals/Shadows/BTs or even classic AJ 1 retro+ cws like SBBs or Bred Toes for that matter. They wouldn’t even need to drop the price since $200 MSRP is a fair price for good quality AJ 1s when you consider they were selling such inferior quality AJ 1s at $180. Nobody paying $180 would bat an eyelid at the $20 increase because the product is so much better.

Just my 2 cents-Nike/JB, if you’re listening, you know I’m right lol

They haven’t innovated in a way that has consumer appeal so retro sales have hidden a lot of their vulnerabilities. React fell flat, Hyperadapt never evolved and failed, and even the stuff they’ve shown off tech wise in the last year is far from hitting the market. Their move to zero push failed and stuff like that space hippie line was never followed up on at all. Scorpion was a dud last year. Air Max dn not moving this year.

Probably the only hits they’ve had in the past 5-6 years have been the air max 270 for casual wear and alphafly with runners. Hell, even from a clothing standpoint it’s been a decade since the tech fleece and nothing has caught on since.
lmao I just chirped on this in the dunk thread. Y'all gotta open your eyes. Most nike consumers are not sneakerheads like us. It's families outfitting themselves and their kids and athletes copping **** to perform in.

React is in a lot more than you think - Sabrina 1 has react and zoom and that has been a very popular hoops shoe from the streets to the pros. It crossed over into some heritage models like af1 but it's more commonly used in performance. Zoomx has been on many running shoes. Zoom strobels in basketball shoes like jordan 36, GT cut. Flyease for those with disabilities (not just the flyease model, but the way it's also been used on jordan 1, air max, etc). I think adapt autolacing will become more commonplace later. I got the zoom pegasus trail 4 goretex and it's an amazing shoe for hiking, decent shoe for running. You can truly buy and wear whatever you want as long as you like it, without worrying about consumer appeal or if other ppl think it's cool. I mean I wear air rifts lmao

I live in the biggest city in the US so I understand there's a bias but believe me, normies are out here in everything. The wackest shoes, the ugliest clothing, the stupidest outfits, all out here in abundance in NYC. Many many people don't care about the nuances we sneakerheads do. They don't care about the history or heritage of a colorway or silhouette. So while **** may seem stale to us, most people don't care.

edit: I also think the way that contemporary shoes like lebron 8s, vomero 5s, kd4s, kobe protros have come back and are still comfortable and performance-worthy is indicative that the tech has plateaued a little. All of those were top of the line performers at the time 10+ years ago, and are still more than adequate now.

Last edited:
lmao I just chirped on this in the dunk thread. Y'all gotta open your eyes. Most nike consumers are not sneakerheads like us. It's families outfitting themselves and their kids and athletes copping **** to perform in.
Nike has a lot more competition now vs 10-20 years ago though, not to mention all the issues with growth:

Analysts say it’s unclear if Nike will be able to achieve even its revised outlook as it seeks to overcome an innovation lag and increased competition from other brands in crucial categories like running.

“Nike is a mess and is deflated, as is any confidence we may have had,” wrote Williams Trading analyst Sam Poser in a Thursday note to investors. “The major problem is that the fiscal year 2025 guidance likely does not represent the worst case scenario.”

IMG_3191.jpeg

https://footwearnews.com/business/earnings/nikes-earnings-analysts-q4-challenges-1203659834/amp/

Attachments

• IMG_3191.png
    IMG_3191.png
    486.2 KB · Views: 114

React is in a lot more than you think - Sabrina 1 has react and zoom and that has been a very popular hoops shoe from the streets to the pros. It crossed over into some heritage models like af1 but it's more commonly used in performance. Zoomx has been on many running shoes. Zoom strobels in basketball shoes like jordan 36, GT cut. Flyease for those with disabilities (not just the flyease model, but the way it's also been used on jordan 1, air max, etc). I think adapt autolacing will become more commonplace later. I got the zoom pegasus trail 4 goretex and it's an amazing shoe for hiking, decent shoe for running. You can truly buy and wear whatever you want as long as you like it, without worrying about consumer appeal or if other ppl think it's cool. I mean I wear air rifts lmao

I live in the biggest city in the US so I understand there's a bias but believe me, normies are out here in everything. The wackest shoes, the ugliest clothing, the stupidest outfits, all out here in abundance in NYC. Many many people don't care about the nuances we sneakerheads do. They don't care about the history or heritage of a colorway or silhouette. So while **** may seem stale to us, most people don't care.

edit: I also think the way that contemporary shoes like lebron 8s, vomero 5s, kd4s, kobe protros have come back and are still comfortable and performance-worthy is indicative that the tech has plateaued a little. All of those were top of the line performers at the time 10+ years ago, and are still more than adequate now.
Strange post to copy/paste from another thread when I was clearly talking about non-sneakerheads and hit on all the failed products you didn’t even address. Hasn’t been anything since the 270 that’s caught normie interest en masse. You ignore product that is their innovation showpiece of the year falling flat with the dns and scorpions.

Even Roshes hit with a normie crowd a decade ago. Nothing like that today and that’s exactly what investors and analysts are saying. 6 years since the 270 is a gigantic hole in the hits dept. You can champion react being in mediocre selling shoes but it hasn’t produced a hit. The normie crowd has a whole host of viable options they’re choosing from On, Hoka, ASICS, NB, etc. Nike isn’t championing comfort, performance or style innovations that consumers are choosing and it’s hitting the bottom line.

You can’t just say I’m ignoring all the non-sneakerhead stuff when I just covered everything they introduced post-270 that’s fell flat. 🤣

Asics and NB are banking off of retro silhouettes, too. Gel kayano 14, 1130, NB 2002r, those are all retros. Nike had the dunk and 1 and af1 dominate the last few years. What's the diff?

Retros no one has had maybe, but NB’s best selling shoe is the 9060 and Asics have moved a ton of gel NYCs, neither a retro model. There’s a much bigger market for sneakers as a whole than a decade ago and if anything the panda dunk ans AJ1 craze kind of created a new sub-market that found a new sneakerhead variant, more open to different directions and less brand loyalty.

6 years since the 270 is a long time for a company like Nike to fall flat on successful new models. . Innovation takes many forms but the market cares about hits from new apparel and shoes. All the stock market cares about is growth and growth potential. And from a consumer standpoint On and Hoka have done way more outside the traditional lane to move large quantities while ASICS and NB’s profile look more similar to Nike 15 years ago.

What are the products Nike has introduced in the past five years that are hits? There really aren’t any that move the sales needle.

The Sabrina 1 and Ja 1 have been pretty popular on and off court in my own experiences. I see lots of react infinities. Lest we forget the Nike tanjun was a bestseller last decade. Couple years ago saw a lot of Nike pre days and flyknit max versions. We may not notice shoes that we don’t like as much, but they’re there.

If we’re going to include retro-inspired shoes like 9060 and gel-NYC, let’s also throw in Nike vapormax plus, sacai vaporwaffle, Nike p6000.

cny low year of the dragon

Attachments

• IMG_20240701_191240_201.jpg
    IMG_20240701_191240_201.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240701_191430_849.jpg
    IMG_20240701_191430_849.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20240701_191734_228.jpg
    IMG_20240701_191734_228.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 552
$120