OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who is even saying anything like that? Was this thread getting too far off USC-based for you?
Maybe I worded the question badly, so let me dumb it down for you.

Doesn’t Lincoln currently give off all the traits of an embattled head coach - defending assistant coach hires, banning media members from campus, saying critics of his team have “untrained eyes,” lashing out at the way his team is covered:

And in kind a dumb segment of fans of his current team have turned on him:

So my question isn’t saying he’s on the hot seat. He’s not. He’s the best coach usc has had in the last 15 years. He’s probably getting an extension and raise no matter what after this season if he wants it.

But if you didn’t know Riley was 17-3 at USC and that the team was 4-8 the year before he got there… if you were just a casual who didn’t know anything about CFB and I showed you all of this and said “the usc coach is on the hot seat,” wouldn’t you believe it?

USC has to have the worst “insiders” in the country.

This isn’t an insider post. It’s me talking to this thread about how weird this season feels. We’re one of five 6-0 teams and it very much doesn’t feel that way. Everything around us is that typically of an underachieving .500 team battling for bowl eligibility.

And in kind a dumb segment of fans of his current team have turned on him:
Maybe that guy I sat next to at Buffalo Wild Wings before last season really was onto something when he asked the bartender “Are we sure Lincoln Riley is actually a better coach than Venables?”

If Oklahoma and USC played this Saturday at a neutral site who do you all think would win?

Not to come to the conclusion that one coach is better than the other but both being undefeated thus far does make it interesting

I mean I understand SC’s fans frustrations, Arizona and CU are not particularly good football teams and the problems on D could have been seen from a mile away.

I’m sure SC would have given Lincoln a blank check to hire just about any DC in the country and he stood with a guy that has subpar D’s at two places now. He deserves all the heat for that.

Lincoln Riley’s always kind of been defensive and whiny.

But in this specific case, you’ve had Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Caleb Williams, Spencer Rattler and you don’t really have much to show for it. For, mostly, the same reason over 7 years at two jobs now.

You’re not in getting cooked territory, but the grill oughta be kissing your backside at least a little bit.

I think so too, but the weird thing is I'm not even 100% certain. Texas should have beaten OU but for a couple of wonky turnovers and a handful of uncharacteristic overly conservative coaching decisions by Sark.

OU gave up 20 to Iowa State and struggled vs Cincy and SMU. No one thought they were a playoff team before Red River, and that one rivalry win has changed the whole narrative there. Which is kind of my point. One win and the fact that they're 6-0 has people talking about how exciting OU is, ignoring the very evident flaws on their team. The same is happening with Alabama right now as well.

Conversely, USC seems to be the opposite of that. They're 6-0 but we all acknowledge the very evident flaws and if anything give them more weight than anything else. They've fallen in the polls every week for 3 weeks, despite winning. Oklahoma jumped 2 spots after a 20-6 win vs currently 2-3 Cincinnati.

It's just a weird season. I can't remember the last time I saw an undefeated team get talked about like this. The 2014 FSU team that lost to Oregon in the playoffs?

Very proud of you guys.

My unbiased thoughts on USC/OU are as follows.

This might be one of the rare situations where both programs won with the coaching change. Going to the SEC, OU needed to be able to recruit on defense especially in the trenches at a very high level. Given what he did at Clemson, Vinny was the perfect choice for OU. His time at Clemson both in recruiting and scheme really helped him and made him better than what he was when he was in Norman the first time. USC needed a rebirth and new life into their program. Being the coach at USC is about style, recruiting and putting out an ELITE product. Lincoln is an offensive genius and his views and style are more California than Oklahoma. He has turned that program around. Give him a few more high recruiting classes and get a better d coordinator and they will be in the playoffs every year. They will probably make it to the playoffs this year if the defense can get a few more stops.

nako xl nako xl do you think you guys are going to be blown out at some point this year? That’s how I feel as a buckeye fan. They’re undefeated but I have zero confidence in them going into each game mainly because of how bad our offense is due to trotting out a below average quarterback each game.

In Lincoln’s case I do feel if they don’t make the playoff or aren’t even in contention it’ll be a pretty disappointing season for them since they’ve had arguably the best QB we’ve seen in the last 15 years and nothing (as a team) to show for it. At the same time Lincoln has only been there for 2 seasons and inherited a pretty below average roster and turned them around.

Lincoln Riley’s always kind of been defensive and whiny.

But in this specific case, you’ve had Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Caleb Williams, Spencer Rattler and you don’t really have much to show for it. For, mostly, the same reason over 7 years at two jobs now.

You’re not in getting cooked territory, but the grill oughta be kissing your backside at least a little bit.

And you have nobody to blame but yourself

nako xl nako xl do you think you guys are going to be blown out at some point this year? That’s how I feel as a buckeye fan. They’re undefeated but I have zero confidence in them going into each game mainly because of how bad our offense is due to trotting out a below average quarterback each game.

In Lincoln’s case I do feel if they don’t make the playoff or aren’t even in contention it’ll be a pretty disappointing season for them since they’ve had arguably the best QB we’ve seen in the last 15 years and nothing (as a team) to show for it. At the same time Lincoln has only been there for 2 seasons and inherited a pretty below average roster and turned them around.

I don't think we'll be blown out. Our offense is too good to reasonably expect that sort of wide gap in scoring.

But we can definitely lose. Every team remaining on our schedule can beat us if the defense doesn't show up. ****, even Cal just put up 32 and 40 against UW and OR St respectively.

If Oklahoma and USC played this Saturday at a neutral site who do you all think would win?

Not to come to the conclusion that one coach is better than the other but both being undefeated thus far does make it interesting

OU. People keep mentioning that Texas should’ve won that game if it wasn’t for a few mistakes, but OU made mistakes as well. They had a blocked punt that resulted in a TD, missed FG, an EASY touchdown pass that was dropped, and some other mistakes on special teams.

The narrative that OU played a damn near perfect game while Texas didn’t just isn’t accurate.

Back
Top Bottom