OFFICIAL 2021 NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - YAWNIST WITH THE CLOSEOUT 50 PIECE - BUCKS WITH FIRST CHIP SINCE ‘73 - CP0 LOSES AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand how anyone could still believe Mike wins 8 in a row after watching the last dance dude was clearly burned out

Growing up, I was a HUGE MJ fan.

Looking back at their run now, I don't think they win 8-straight. The struggle to three-peat the second time was tough.

I always wondered how people rank players they've never watched play.

In order to make a top 10 list, I'd at least want the eye test to be a part of the criteria.

eye test can be had on highlights too. Plus, there’s game footage now on youtube. As far back as full games from the 60s and 70s off all sports.

Look at Gretzky stats then game footage or highlights. Same with Ken Griffey, Barry Sanders or Jim Brown or Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Wilt, etc.

some guys just physically gifted and different.

I watched Randy Johnson too growing up. The guy just was intimidating AF on the mound.

Scottie actually elevated those 2 years when Mike was gone so in theory it could have been possible but unlikely they win all 8. Probably flame out in 94 and come back and win in 95 though.

I don't think watching games/highlights is enough.

It is hard to TRULY judge players of the past if you weren't ALIVE during their time.

How the media covered them
How fans covered them.
How kids loved them.
What is it like to just soak in life with that player being the MAN.

ALl of those things sway how you perceive a player and if the only things you have to judge a player on are their current OLD body/presentation, standard definition/Black and White clips, and BBALL Ref stats it is hard to have a FAIR/UNBIASED opinion on that player.

Just my thoughts on that.

Last edited:
eye test can be had on highlights too. Plus, there’s game footage now on youtube. As far back as full games from the 60s and 70s off all sports.

Look at Gretzky stats then game footage or highlights. Same with Ken Griffey, Barry Sanders or Jim Brown or Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Wilt, etc.

some guys just physically gifted and different.

I watched Randy Johnson too growing up. The guy just was intimidating AF on the mound.

I just don't know if highlight reels and youtube clips are enough of a sample size for me personally.

I've seen hundreds of games of Kobe, Bron, KG, etc. I'll just never get that same experience for Russell/Wilt/Kareem enough to know where they belong on all-time lists.

I just don't know if highlight reels and youtube clips are enough of a sample size for me personally.

I've seen hundreds of games of Kobe, Bron, KG, etc. I'll just never get that same experience for Russell/Wilt/Kareem enough to know where they belong on all-time lists.

It's also a very different experience watching a player on a game to game bases as opposed to just watching their highlights. There's an entire generation of players who have only ever seen Michael Jordan highlights and never watched him on a regular basis. IMO, This skews things quite a bit.

Yea, the lack of emotional attachment to that era makes it unfair to the players you weren't alive for.

Also, we typically have a bias to players we spent our teenage/early 20 years watching.

Which is why, "So many current players have Kobe in their Top 5" means nothing for the actual debate.

If you can’t watch Wilt, Magic or Bird highlights or full game footage and not gather that they were unique, I don’t know what to say.

I watched MJ, Kobe and Bron in their primes. IMO Jordan and Kobe were just better players. That’s my opinion though.

Me watching Kobe and Jordan when the game is on the line, during the clutch moments is all I ever needed to see. LeBron had been shying away from those moments forever.

Jordan and Kobe never folded that much. You literally could see opposing players get nervous down the stretch of games with Kobe and MJ. LeBron ain’t have that same effect.

Learned from Lebron

can't be 3-8 if you don't make the finals

True. Better to finish your career with a 3-2 Finals record (and zero Finals MVPs) than it is to continue to make deep playoff runs. Great strategy by Curry to preserve his legacy.

It's interesting that after Durant has a poor game (9 for 25 from the field) the narrative has quickly shifted to calling out the officials.

"Does Durant get the same calls as other superstars?

"Why did the refs swallow their whistles? Durant got fouled a dozen times!"

Interesting 🤔

Even people who lived thru those eras didn't really watch guys play like that. NBA games weren't nearly as accessible as they are today. If you weren't local you might've seen a guy play a handful of times every season

Negative. My uncle is 60. Born and raised in South Florida and said Clyde Frazier was his idol. He can name the whole Knicks rosters from the 70s. Ya’ll act like people in their 60s, 70s, 80s didn’t attend games or watch them on television or at local bars.

A lot of older people have great recall of sporting events from the past 5 decades....
My mom was a HUGE Isaiah Thomas fan, and we live in south Florida.

Negative. My uncle is 60. Born and raised in South Florida and said Clyde Frazier was his idol. He can name the whole Knicks rosters from the 70s. Ya’ll act like people in their 60s, 70s, 80s didn’t attend games or watch them on television or at local bars.

A lot of older people have great recall of sporting events from the past 5 decades....

You missed the "like that" part. Meaning, compared to how the NBA is consumed today.

If you can’t watch Wilt, Magic or Bird highlights or full game footage and not gather that they were unique, I don’t know what to say.

I watched MJ, Kobe and Bron in their primes. IMO Jordan and Kobe were just better players. That’s my opinion though.

Me watching Kobe and Jordan when the game is on the line, during the clutch moments is all I ever needed to see. LeBron had been shying away from those moments forever.

Jordan and Kobe never folded that much. You literally could see opposing players get nervous down the stretch of games with Kobe and MJ. LeBron ain’t have that same effect.

Eps6qHLXMAIAqbe

My mom was a HUGE Isaiah Thomas fan, and we live in south Florida.

What games bruh? Show me an NBA TV schedule from the 60s. There was like 8 channels back then. There was literally nothing aired after like 8pm

You simply lose a LOT of nuance from not fully experiencing those players in real time.

Of course we can see the physical talent these players possess. That wasn't the discussion.

What games bruh? Show me an NBA TV schedule from the 60s. There was like 8 channels back then. There was literally nothing aired after like 8pm

Go ask one of your elders bro, or someone who you know who’s into sports that’s of an accelerated age. Thinking these old timers ain’t sit and watch games is ignorant.

Now we at the point where we’re saying elderly people never watched games back during their youth??? That’s just crazy bruh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom