Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

like i understand the whole +/-, but this chart about who is more effective when who is on the court is all BS to me. i mean Russ averaged a triple double and single handily brought the Thunder to the playoffs. but i bet he doesn't make his teammates better according to that chart. same with any other star players. if they take over in the last 5 minutes of the game and score the last 12 points or whatever, of course their teammates "suffer" since they're not scoring. who cares? a win is a win. hell if KP scores 100 ppg, does that mean he doesn't make his teammates better? well no **** if no one else scores. dont tell me Frank doesnt make Beas better when he'll randomly drop 25. all these advanced stats come from dudes that never even made their HS varsity team.
Net rating basically is +/- the chart is just about +/- for 2 players together so it's the same thing. So if KP is scoring 100, per your example, him not making teammates better wouldn't negatively effect their net rating if it were leading to wins. Just as long as they were on the court together net rating would go up regardless of how the other guys play. :lol:

I do agree, however, that so much of net rating is luck, coincidence, matchups, etc. and compared to a sport like basketball advanced stats dont do a great job of painting the entire picture, especially with a small sample size... Not that net rating is even considered to really be advanced stats. But still nice to see that most Knicks have fared better with Frank on the court thus far nevertheless.

Last edited:
I don’t even understand +/-. I’ll have to do some reading to make sense of it. However, I can tell when someone is dumpster juice. :lol:

DT4Q7y1VQAEOyVb.jpg

whos Knick is this?

Why are people talking about coaching changes exactly?

This team is a ways away from contending, consistency is more important at this stage than having the best coach in the league and Hornacek has shown himself to be just fine at developing talent. We are years away. Bunch of James Dolans in here.

+- isn't really an 'advanced' stat btw. Especially given the sample size for a player who's been in the league half a year, and then if you reduce the sample even further by looking at by-player it doesn't really have much power. I bet if you take the worst player on the warriors and the #s look exceptional, the best player on the Hawks and they're terrible. It's really not a good metric for comparing players on different teams, it's value is really only in showing on a relative basis (within a team), how players on the same team perform together/with each other.

I just hope we're sellers at this trade deadline. I like O'Quinn but his contract is up. Kanter has done some good things, but I don't think he fits in and I don't want to pay him 12+ million/yr when KP should be starting at the 5 in this nba. I don't think we'll get anything back for McDermott, though we might for Beasley or Lee.

IIRC Beas is on a one year deal, so I doubt teams will give up anything for a rental. Lee would be good for a contender missing another vet.

If we can't get either Jordan Clarkson or Julius Randle by the deadline I'll be disappointed

Lakers are just looking to dump so they can strike out this summer and both are going to be had by someone for relatively cheap

Hell, I'd take a flyer on Justice Winslow too

Packaging Billy with that Bulls pick could easily land any of those 3

I'd love to see Kemba/KP pick and rolls every game.

Just seems like a recipe for a couple of first round playoff losses, then overpaying Kemba and being stuck with him when he is old and inefficient after a couple years but we still start him because someone decided he is a "star".

I don't hate Kemba but he is not what we need right now. Too old for our roster and doesn't bring enough all around to make that not a problem.

I feel like we would’ve just traded for bledsoe when he was available if they really wanted a PG

guess we’ll see

The idea of trading for Kemba is pretty comical at this point

Don’t understand how people could be for it

It’d be pretty identical to the Melo deal
Throwing away our future and our real rebuild for the sake of making a splash and first round playoff appearances

Kemba only getting worse from here on out and his and KP’s timelines don’t match up

Why are people talking about coaching changes exactly?

This team is a ways away from contending, consistency is more important at this stage than having the best coach in the league and Hornacek has shown himself to be just fine at developing talent. We are years away. Bunch of James Dolans in here.
Dudes can't break their habits.

Knicks fandom done traumatized them in to a horrific cycle.

Horny will eventually be gone but it don't really matter now or for next season. I'd rather he be here coaching the team as it rebuilds than get multiple years of Mark Jackson.

Plus some dudes still don't know what they want out of this team. We're still not good enough to tank and making the playoffs isn't smart.

I cant speak for anyone else but I would like to see a coach that runs sets that make it easier for KP, we are not the only team in the league lacking talent but some one posted a graphic that KP takes the most contested shots in the entire league. I cant even say who has developed on this team this year, so I am not looking for some coaching splash in hopes of the playoff but just for overall player development. I can see with the current roster the team is sacrificing development, so I am hoping to see a couple of piece gone by the deadline.

I cant speak for anyone else but I would like to see a coach that runs sets that make it easier for KP, we are not the only team in the league lacking talent but some one posted a graphic that KP takes the most contested shots in the entire league. I cant even say who has developed on this team this year, so I am not looking for some coaching splash in hopes of the playoff but just for overall player development. I can see with the current roster the team is sacrificing development, so I am hoping to see a couple of piece gone by the deadline.

That's reasonable. I would like to see him getting more shots off of sets also. I think a lot of that does have to do with our current PG talent though..

Back
Top Bottom