OFFICIAL 2016 RIO SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD (Rio is a wrap; See you in Tokyo in 2020 (or, more likely,i

Location is definitely a big deal. The event locations were so spread out. The dive pool area was 12+ miles away from olympic stadium lol

Wonder how many pics Simone Biles took at the closing ceremony :lol: :lol: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverybody wanted a pic with her

The basketball and soccer specialty channels coudve been something else inbetweeb or after games instead of replaying games over and over.

Wish they showed more of the less popular sports. Archery, fencing, volleyball, ping pong, badminton, rugby, rowing. Cool but limited airplay.

Was lucky enough to see a good amount of fencing, badminton, and definitely volleyball. Think I saw rowing once the whole time.

Last edited:
Would be better with Turner or abc/ESPN.. Nbc doesn't have enough channels to properly cover it like it should be covered

Luckily for carribean folks we got ESPN thrown in too.. Then you had USA randomly covering some events

Also I think things could have been even better if it was held at a more organized location
ESPN Caribbean definitely was clutch for these Olympics.

Showed all the major events live and I had no problems having Alexis Nunes on my TV daily.

Probably the only time I was happy that POS company Cable Bahamas switched from the US channel.

^ yup.. You gotta do it like Turner does with those first couple days of the NCAA tournament where all you got is all the channels under their umbrella covering the various events

But really it should go to ESPN with abc and could even throw in Disney.. Then they can commit to several live events while it's happening.. Constant replays of the major events

Also the Canadian channel was huge too.. Really thought cable was going jump slick and try to block out certain channels, like they've done before

I know the girl ESPN had on for the swimming coverage, janelle Atkinson

Last edited:
Bruhhhh they just said theyll have an olympic channel!! Thatll be clutch af in the future. Like nbatv i bet.

^ their sports channel was basically that now.. And even that I found it odd when they had non-Olympics stuff on.. 2 channels isn't enough

Reason I say abc or Turner, cause you got 4-5 channels at the least they can commit.. Nbc has what, 2

In the Bahamas was, we got lucky , because we had 3 additional channels that were able to cover it along with those licensed to carry it in the states.. And we have east and west NBCs along with the nbc sports channel

Actually 4 additional channels, forgot about the 2nd Canadian sports specific channel that could cover it

Live live stuff I went to the other channels.. Only during prime time did I really watch NBC and that's because I got tired of British or Canadian commentators

But even in prime time certain stuff was on tape delay or not being shown (like some swimming semi-finals.. Or as was discussed gold medal beach volleyball)

Last edited:
I don't think the problem is lack of channels. NBC has NBC, MSNBC, NBCSN, and apparently USA, because I watched a few things on there.

The problem is terrible scheduling, and not enough attention paid to less popular events.

With ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPN Classic, and a very well working knowledge of sports programming and scheduling, I definitely think Disney is better suited. I just think that they obviously didn't want to.

Last edited:
^ can't really count msnbc in that.. While they can include a ton of stuff pertaining to the event.. Have guests and do some of the athelete stories.. They can't really deviate that much from being a news station.. And heavily politically based

It's not really THAT hard.. And from the athletes I know that went down there (couple swimmers and track folks) they rearranged the schedule especially to accommodate the US broadcasters and even that they screwed up

The finals for swimming and track should have started at least and hour earlier.. And then you could have had an outdoor volleyball, basketball or soccer game that even to carry your coverage whenever the other events were done

The one of the major problems was they tampered with things and still did a horrible job with scheduling.. Cause with pushing the starts back for the evening stuff for the swimmers and track folks, you had the major stars of those events finishing late and having obligations afterwards (testing and interviews.. Then they would have massages and whatever) and then have early mornings again probably the next day for other events

when there was no real need for it.. Instead of dealing with a 9 start time for the east coast, go to 7:30 or 8.. And actually focus on the events instead of puff pieces.. Cause again, on the US feed of stuff major stuff was being missed or even skipped

And like I said you had events where you could have scheduled later and carried the rest of the evening coverage.. Hell you have rugby 7s you could have done at night too

For only really having 2 channels they could deal with everything on and throw in USA for couple other things.. For tried to focus wayyyyy too much on what they considered prime time.. 9-12

Instead of taking an NCAA tournaments approach to things and realizing there was nothing really else going.. So let me take advantage and give you as much as I can

Sure you save the stuff you know will get people.. But you still get other time slot to fill..

For example, as mentioned above in the Bahamas we were fortunate to have other channels committed to covering the events.. Every lunch time I made sure I was somewhere with a tv to catch at least an hour of the prelims of the swimming events during the first week.. And then something else during the 2nd week.. Live coverage

NBC dropped the ball on a number of fronts.. Everything swimming, track, gymnastics as priority 1.. Then you got beach volleyball and diving up.. And then you fill out as stories go with other events.. But you gotta give people a chance to buy in.. Not spot coverage every once and while of women's rugby.. Or missing the gold medal women's beach volleyball game all together

Last edited:
Badminton was fun to watch. A few of the rowing events too since they finish up fast. Keep equestrian stuff on the other channels and not taking up a good spot on nbc.

Well NBC has the contract for Olympics until 2032 at the very least so I think the best thing to do for every olympics is just to stream live.  Can't wait to hear the announcement next year on which of the 4 cities host 2024 between Rome, Budapest, Paris or Los Angeles

Lochte's been steady taking a string of L's back to back to back :rofl:

@darrenrovell:
BREAKING: Ralph Lauren official says company will not be renewing Ryan Lochte's contract. Lost Speedo deal this morning.

Last edited:
Lochte's been steady taking a string of L's back to back to back
roll.gif

Lochte's been steady taking a string of L's back to back to back :rofl:

He deserves it.

He's such an idiot because all he had to do was just say "Ay man we got drunk and pissed all over a gas station bathroom, sorry" and the **** woulda been over. He already had the stupid fratboy image and that would've played right into it.

But no, you had to tell a lie that played on stereotypes like a typical product of white priveldge.

So it looks like Allyson Felix is entered into the 200 m for Zurich Diamond League in September.  I thought at this point in her career she should drop the 200 and just focus in the 400m.  With Elaine Thompson and Schippers being 24 years old I just don't see Felix being able to challenge them in the 200m at this age.  I agree with @itsaboutthattime, if she had ran the 400m earlier in her career she would've only had Sanya Richards to contend with rather than at the 100m with Shelly Ann, Carmelita Jeter etc.

Last edited:
Lochte's an idiot but it still doesn't change the fact that those guys were robbed.

If rhe Rio rep didn't characterize them as "kids" the racial component in all of rhis would not have escalted to the point it has where no one is question the Brazilian authorities versions of events.

Lochte's an idiot but it still doesn't change the fact that those guys were robbed.

If rhe Rio rep didn't characterize them as "kids" the racial component in all of rhis would not have escalted to the point it has where no one is question the Brazilian authorities versions of events.

They weren't robbed.

The whole situation was started by them.

Damn had no idea Diane Schippers was only 24 :wow:,thought she was in her late twenties/early thirties :lol:

Last edited:
The situation was embellished by the Brazilian side as well. Everyone is now under the impression that those swimmers trashed and destroyed a bathroom as oppose to what really happened which was a sign being pulled down.

Even after that, they tried to leave and got stopped bu off duty cops who pulled the hammer out on them.

really fam? google what robbed means.

Back
Top Bottom