OFFICIAL 2016 RIO SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD (Rio is a wrap; See you in Tokyo in 2020 (or, more likely,i

That's the thing with the events...the major events where you think would be best to see in person, would actually be best to walk on tv because of the different angles and closeups of the faces and such. Going in person, while dope for all of the other reasons, but to actually view the event, you're confined to one point of view. Take a race for instance...you can only see them when they pass in front of you. For the major events, seeing bolt run, seeing phelps swim, while it would be great to see in person, it would be best to view on tv. Now stuff like volleyball and gymnastics, some of the other track and field stuff, diving, etc, those are fine because the theatrics are different and you're closer anyways. The track n field domes are always so big, from the stands the racers look like ants. I feel like the enjoyment of the experience would be wasted on the major events if you dont have the best view. I am spoiled when it comes to stuff like that though. Front row or bust.

Last edited:
I would think the most expensive event ticket would be the 100m sprint Final since thats always said to be the Marquee event of the Olympics overall

That's the thing with the events...the major events where you think would be best to see in person, would actually be best to walk on tv because of the different angles and closeups of the faces and such. Going in person, while dope for all of the other reasons, but to actually view the event, you're confined to one point of view. Take a race for instance...you can only see them when they pass in front of you. For the major events, seeing bolt run, seeing phelps swim, while it would be great to see in person, it would be best to view on tv. Now stuff like volleyball and gymnastics, some of the other track and field stuff, diving, etc, those are fine because the theatrics are different and you're closer anyways. The track n field domes are always so big, from the stands the racers look like ants. I feel like the enjoyment of the experience would be wasted on the major events if you dont have the best view. I am spoiled when it comes to stuff like that though. Front row or bust.

That's a good point that the more team oriented sports would be good irrespective of vantage point. Another thing I'm afraid of though is the lack of announcers and plethora of nice shiny statistics tv is always throwing at you during sporting events. I really really enjoy the endless extra info and compare and contrast that happens on tv. I also would miss the build up. I've seen buzzer beaters and bottom of the 9th home runs in person and after the moment is over it's always killed by the great now we gotta go home feeling for me.

Last edited:
Besides Beach Volleyball and Gymnastics, anybody know what else would be good to see live for Olympics?

Besides Beach Volleyball and Gymnastics, anybody know what else would be good to see live for Olympics?

Track and field 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash. If I ever go to the summer olympics, that is number one on my priority list.

Any sport that has a race tbh. If there's anything I've learned about world class athletes it's that TV doesn't do justice when it comes to speed.

Sports like badminton, handball, field hockey, platform diving seem like they would be fun to watch in person.

^ pretty much.. that will give you a solid base.. then you do the meet circuit.. then you can get appearance fees

but some are lucky and their countries give them a crap ton based on performance.. like joseph schooling, who got over $700,000 for his gold medal alone

some countries will give land and other perks that have high values

^ pretty much.. that will give you a solid base.. then you do the meet circuit.. then you can get appearance fees

but some are lucky and their countries give them a crap ton based on performance.. like joseph schooling, who got over $700,000 for his gold medal alone

some countries will give land and other perks that have high values

^ pretty much.. but he got a pretty penny from winning a bronze during the world championships.. and he always did really well during the Asian games in a bunch of events

he's parents seem pretty connected, so I assume they do some under the table to stuff to get his family compensated in other ways that wont mess up his college eligibility

a lot easier outside the country where you don't have US tax obligations

like he got offered free plane rides for life from one airline over that way

Last edited:

^ pretty much.. but he got a pretty penny from winning a bronze during the world championships.. and he always did really well during the Asian games in a bunch of events

he's parents seem pretty connected, so I assume they do some under the table to stuff to get his family compensated in other ways that wont mess up his college eligibility

a lot easier outside the country where you don't have US tax obligations

like he got offered free plane rides for life from one airline over that way

How much would you guys budget for Tokyo Olympics trip, my initial thinking is $25-30k?

$25k fam? :lol:

After accomodations a couple grand is probably all you need. Im thinking $5k for a good time. Its not just the events but Olympic village and the atmosphere. :smokin

$25k fam?
laugh.gif

After accomodations a couple grand is probably all you need. Im thinking $5k for a good time. Its not just the events but Olympic village and the atmosphere.
smokin.gif

$25k fam? :lol:

After accomodations a couple grand is probably all you need. Im thinking $5k for a good time. Its not just the events but Olympic village and the atmosphere. :smokin

1k for airfare, $150-$200 per night for hotel (assuming you don't stay in one of those pods) x 16 -> you're up to $4k. I have no idea how much tickets to the events cost. Food and other costs will add up quickly.

traveling alone? i would think airfare and hotel rates will be jacked up at least 2x during the Olympics, and Japan is expensive to begin with. $10k if you want to do everything comfortably and get to throw some money around on nice things.

Back
Top Bottom