OFFICIAL 2016 RIO SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD (Rio is a wrap; See you in Tokyo in 2020 (or, more likely,i

Lochte's been steady taking a string of L's back to back to back
roll.gif
I could MAYBE see him making the team in the 200 IM if phelps actually stays retired.. but even this year, some of the younger americans who could have challenged for that second spot in that event pulled out because of other events

josh prenot and will licon would have been heavy contenders, but both dropped out because they had the 200 breast finals and both were around world record pace (prenot made the team, licon came 3rd)

chase Kalisz who won a silver in the 400 IM at the olympics, also pulled out.. cant remember exactly why he pulled out

I could MAYBE see him making the team in the 200 IM if phelps actually stays retired.. but even this year, some of the younger americans who could have challenged for that second spot in that event pulled out because of other events

josh prenot and will licon would have been heavy contenders, but both dropped out because they had the 200 breast finals and both were around world record pace (prenot made the team, licon came 3rd)

chase Kalisz who won a silver in the 400 IM at the olympics, also pulled out.. cant remember exactly why he pulled out

he just doesn't have the top speed for the 100s (fly, back or free)..

200 back, other guy is murphy's teammate at cal.. so he's young too.. and jack conger has a good 200 back too

100 back, the other guy is older too (plummer).. but still think he is younger than lochte.. also think matt grevers might be younger than lochte

he just doesn't have the top speed for the 100s (fly, back or free)..

200 back, other guy is murphy's teammate at cal.. so he's young too.. and jack conger has a good 200 back too

100 back, the other guy is older too (plummer).. but still think he is younger than lochte.. also think matt grevers might be younger than lochte

bolt probably made way more money than phelps, so I could see bolt staying away more than phelps.. plus I think bolt will have more options post track than phelps just because of the personalities and a bit to the sports (track being more relevant on non-Olympic years)

but I think for phelps will see the level of competition, specifically in the 2 IM.. where it will end up being too sweet to pass up going for 5 straight wins

lochte isn't getting any faster.. and hagino is the only one who even enters the convo of being under 1:56.. and even after a rough schedule he was under 1:55

well phelps was easily no. 1.. hosszu swam a ton of the money meets and did a ton of events at those meets plus she was one of the faces of the arena brand (so I could slightly see her edging out lochte)

but lochte or maybe franklin since she went pro.. phelps was speedos baby, but then he signed with aquasphere when he decided to come back

adidas scooped up Michael Andrew pretty quickly, so no clue what they would have given him

the Australian guys aren't really pushed in the US.. but some of relevance throughout europe

whenever ledecky goes pro, she'll probably easily move into the 2nd slot.. speedo with throw heavy money at her

Last edited:
I don't think either are really on phelps level.. while both are fast for very young, they are both now coming back to the pack a bit

gotta remember, phelps was in the Olympic finals at 15.. and he came 5th if I remember correctly, so wasn't even like he just barely made it and got blown out

like a lot of names that played major roles this go around will be around for at least another Olympics or two.. like caeleb dressel just turned 20, townley hass is 19, ryan murphy is 20 and jack conger is 20.. just to name a few

I could see all of the above swimming multiple events next Olympics on top of stuff they did this go around

and you got couple other young guys who could come on the scene who have been really good.. like Maxime rooney or ryan hoffer

and obviously you'll have guys who just improve as they get 18-20.. like now both guys are barely beating records if they do

both were tall from when they were young which obviously helped a lot.. but now that they're getting to 17-18 themselves, you got a lot of people hitting maturity too

like reece whitley was 6'8 from he was like 13 or 14 (going be 17 in January).. and Michael Andrew is 6'5 I think (going be 18 in april)

Last edited:
Man can't believe Kerron Clement got the only gold for the Men's side of the sprint events this olympics.  USA has serious problems in the 4 X 100m relay last time winning it was 2000 when Maurice Greene was anchoring the team

how many individual events were won by the US  men in track?

clement in the 4 hurdles.. dude who got lucky in the 1500.. ashton eaton in the decathlon.. who else?

had to look it up, Henderson in the long jump.. anyone else?

also got shot put

Last edited:
how many individual events were won by the US  men in track?

clement in the 4 hurdles.. dude who got lucky in the 1500.. ashton eaton in the decathlon.. who else?

had to look it up, Henderson in the long jump.. anyone else?

also got shot put

Bronze in the marathon. Or you not counting that as track?

Bronze in the marathon. Or you not counting that as track?
was just talking individual gold medals.. not overall medals
yea the US could always depend on depth for the 4 x 1 and 4 x 4.. but even now that is failing them a bit.. the Bahamas and Jamaica shouldn't have been that close in the 4 x 4 considering the individual times of the runners.. US should have had that by at least 2 seconds

but merritt is 30 now and 400 is a hard race to age with.. and even kerron clement is 30

you can see the future on the women's side.. especially with McLaughlin.. on the men's side, not so much

was just talking individual gold medals.. not overall medals

yea the US could always depend on depth for the 4 x 1 and 4 x 4.. but even now that is failing them a bit.. the Bahamas and Jamaica shouldn't have been that close in the 4 x 4 considering the individual times of the runners.. US should have had that by at least 2 seconds

but merritt is 30 now and 400 is a hard race to age with.. and even kerron clement is 30

you can see the future on the women's side.. especially with McLaughlin.. on the men's side, not so much

that's exactly what I'm getting it.. like when the Bahamian women won the 4 x 100, we had 2 or 3 girls in the final and 4 solid legs

like I could see grenada if they had another guy who could run 45.. and maybe another guy who could run 46 low 45 high.. then that team being within a second or two of the US.. but the Bahamas and Jamaica didn't really have strong teams

but the US unless you get random generations from other nations should be pretty much how the women's 4 x 100 went this go around.. sure JA  had the gold and bronze medalists.. but they just could match the 4 legs that the US had together

like I could see the US men's losing to Jamaica in the 4 x 100 in 2012 having bolt and yohan blake in the form they were in and then asafa too throw in with them.. but this lap around, the US men should have been better.. but the talent just wasn't there

Last edited:

that's exactly what I'm getting it.. like when the Bahamian women won the 4 x 100, we had 2 or 3 girls in the final and 4 solid legs

like I could see grenada if they had another guy who could run 45.. and maybe another guy who could run 46 low 45 high.. then that team being within a second or two of the US.. but the Bahamas and Jamaica didn't really have strong teams

but the US unless you get random generations from other nations should be pretty much how the women's 4 x 100 went this go around.. sure JA  had the gold and bronze medalists.. but they just could match the 4 legs that the US had together

like I could see the US men's losing to Jamaica in the 4 x 100 in 2012 having bolt and yohan blake in the form they were in and then asafa too throw in with them.. but this lap around, the US men should have been better.. but the talent just wasn't there

Back
Top Bottom