Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Gilbert lost 40MM on the Cavs, fifth highest all time (the only one of the top 5 to have a ring) and is slated to lead the league in losses again.

I wonder if LeBron is taking that into account. I know Dan Gilbert is stupid rich but 40MM is 40MM

Usher owns the Cavs , don't get it twisted

Dan Gilbert lost 40MM on the Cavs, fifth highest all time (the only one of the top 5 to have a ring) and is slated to lead the league in losses again.

I wonder if LeBron is taking that into account. I know Dan Gilbert is stupid rich but 40MM is 40MM

I mean if we looking at the whole picture, Dan Gilbert didn't really lose any money, he made money.

Yes he had to spend 40 million out of pocket but the franchise value since Bron has come back and especially since they have won a championship has gone up substantially.

It's only a loss on paper and why he and other smart owners will continue to pay luxury tax if it means championships.

If/when Gilbert or his heirs want to sell the team, it's going to be one the most valuable franchises in the league.

While other owners may actually profit better from an end of season standpoint, they aren't significantly enhancing the value of their investment like Gilbert is.

He basically treating the Cavs like Jeff Bezos did Amazon.

Lacob doing the same.

I mean if we looking at the whole picture, Dan Gilbert didn't really lose any money, he made money.

Yes he had to spend 40 million out of pocket but the franchise value since Bron has come back and especially since they have won a championship has gone up substantially.

It's only a loss on paper and why he and other smart owners will continue to pay luxury tax if it means championships.

If/when Gilbert or his heirs want to sell the team, it's going to be one the most valuable franchises in the league.

While other owners may actually profit better from an end of season standpoint, they aren't significantly enhancing the value of their investment like Gilbert is.

He basically treating the Cavs like Jeff Bezos did Amazon.

Lacob doing the same.
Oh nah I know that, the value of the Cavs rose 20% higher than all other teams year over year last year. The intrinsic value of the team rose significantly, but even still I'm sure Dan Gilbert knows he doesn't need to keep blowing 40MM to do that.

There's also the fact that you won't win a title (and when's the last time it even happened) in the NBA without going over the tax.

All sides of this argument have a leg to stand on

Dan Gilbert isnt just rich. Dude is making so much money elsewhere that 40 million is nothing.

I dont understand why more owners don't treat their teams this way, or like Cuban. When you have that amount of money what better way or fun way to spend it during your short time on this planet. Many just see it as another business.

Last edited:
Dan Gilbert isnt just rich. Dude is making so much money elsewhere that 40 million is nothing.

Yea he's like 5-6 billion up, not to mention he's got the Cavs + he basically owns all of downtown Detroit where the value is rising in the same manner.

He's a scumbag but he's definitely a shrewd businessman.

Adding to the fact that a "40 mil loss" is a huge tax write off if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
Gilbert could pay that same tax for 150 years to match his worth. And he'd still be loaded in the end.

The owners that care about their teams this much are few and in between. You think Paul Allen cares about the Blazers that much?

The Jail Blazers killed that for him.

Say what you want about the influx of PE guys buying nba teams, but I can't think of one if those teams that doesn't have a positive outlook atm.

Bron.... take less money or shut up... period. At least embiid gets to tweet from the audience while the asg is on, so buc em can get some type of entertainment.
I was thinking the same, if Lebron really wants to improve the roster for more rings he could atleast take a pay cut. It's hard to feel sorry for him when he's making 100 mill in two years.

[thread="654406"]Could they have matched for Delly and still been able to pay JR? [/thread]
Yea, there's no hard cap in that scenario, the lux tax penalty just becomes more punitive.

But to LeBron, these guys are worth billions so why do they care. Same reason he was mad at Arison for getting rid of Mike Miller. Guy is worth 8 billion and being cheap :lol:

Lebron been spoiled with having the most talent. He sound like he panicking. He's looking at GSW getting nervous. The Cavs front office have done everything you wanted, spended big money. You got enough. GSW is top heavy too, they ain't as deep as they used to be.

Keep this in mind:
Bryant often was characterized as a jerk, someone who pushed, prodded, challenged and harassed his teammates. […] “It’s your job as a leader to bring out the best in people,” Bryant said recently. “If bringing the best out of people is being a jerk, then I think that as a society we need to reconsider what our perspective of being a jerk is.”

“If you talk to all my guys that we won championships together — the Shannon Browns, the Josh Powells, the Adam Morrisons — we love each other,” Bryant said. “We ride together through thick and thin. So if you ask them, they’ll look at you like you’re crazy. ‘What kind of question is that? He’s my guy.’”

C3NU2TTWMAAt1PI.jpg

Yea, there's no hard cap in that scenario, the lux tax penalty just becomes more punitive.

But to LeBron, these guys are worth billions so why do they care. Same reason he was mad at Arison for getting rid of Mike Miller. Guy is worth 8 billion and being cheap :lol:

Exactly.

Owners and weirdly enough fans, expect players to take less when their salaries are a way bigger portion of their income than the expense it would be to the owner to just pay more.

I'm always of the mind it's on the owner, spend if you wanna be great and to send a message the other players in the league.

:lol: @ thinking Bron should take less to make the Cavs better.

Dude has taken less every point in his career until now and he's still underpaid relative to his actual value.

That's crazy.

With no cap, Bron gets somewhere between 60-75 million a year easily but you want him to take less than 25-28 to help ease a billionaires pockets?

Shouts to Kobe because he never bought into that foolishness.

It's just you.

Man, just let the dude hoop.

Great Wall that the Wizards tried to push before his rookie year: NOPE

Jalen calling him and Beal some damn Hustle and Flow: NOPE

Dude has a simple basketball HOOPERS name already. Let him be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom